HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cory Schneider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
  #51
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The flaw in your argument is it relies on GMs disregarding Schneider being outplayed by a top five goalie in the league who is absolutely on fire. Every analyst worth that salt has cited Schneider among the best young goalies in the league for quite some time. He will garner a better return than Varlamov or Halak.
The flaw with his argument is that its absurdly short-sighted.
If GMs went around shipping off or acquiring players after every cold or hot streak it would be a circus.
Thankfully most GMs have better long-term vision than that (or at least Gillis does, I'm confident..)

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
  #52
ZKassian9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The flaw in your argument is it relies on GMs disregarding Schneider being outplayed by a top five goalie in the league who is absolutely on fire. Every analyst worth that salt has cited Schneider among the best young goalies in the league for quite some time. He will garner a better return than Varlamov or Halak.
Valarmov has never had a good season and Halak had one decent playoff run. Neither goalies touches Schneiders stats, accomplishments, intelligence and development. Terrible comparison.

ZKassian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  #53
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,491
vCash: 500
i'll give you one slightly used, very mustached mike brown

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:59 AM
  #54
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 19,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
How do you know? You been making phone calls?
Yes.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
  #55
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 19,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The flaw in your argument is it relies on GMs disregarding Schneider being outplayed by a top five goalie in the league who is absolutely on fire. Every analyst worth that salt has cited Schneider among the best young goalies in the league for quite some time. He will garner a better return than Varlamov or Halak.
The flaw in your argument is that NHL GMs don't really care what analysts think. He's 26 and he isn't a starter. If you think that doesn't affect his trade value in the market you are wrong. You'll get what Varlamov got. Don't expect too much more than that.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
  #56
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The flaw in your argument is that NHL GMs don't really care what analysts think. He's 26 and he isn't a starter. If you think that doesn't affect his trade value in the market you are wrong. You'll get what Varlamov got. Don't expect too much more than that.
Why? How do you know what NHL GMs think?

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  #57
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The flaw in your argument is that NHL GMs don't really care what analysts think. He's 26 and he isn't a starter. If you think that doesn't affect his trade value in the market you are wrong. You'll get what Varlamov got. Don't expect too much more than that.
lol I love how the narrative on this flips because of a handful of games. Up until a couple of days ago Luongo was the useless back up who wasn't worth peanuts because Schneider was the starter.

He's not a starter right now because Luongo is playing hot. That has nothing to do with how he is as a goaltender. He's been stuck behind a statistically top 5 goalie for his whole professional career. He would be the starter on at least 20 teams right now if traded.

Most GMs(except Mike Milbury) would employ a much higher degree of analytics than you are using. Either you have no actual grasp on the situation or you just trying to stir something up.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
  #58
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,135
vCash: 500
I think if Schneider is to go we should target players like Couturier, Huberdeau or Johansen. Even if we have to add a Ballard or Raymond

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
  #59
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 500
His value is high, but he screams Toskala to me.

28 year old 4M back-up on a stacked team, waiting to be a #1 on another team, never established himself with his current team, had one good playoffs.

Id stay away.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
  #60
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,613
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I think if Schneider is to go we should target players like Couturier, Huberdeau or Johansen. Even if we have to add a Ballard or Raymond
Please tell me you're joking. I'm 99.9% sure that you are joking.

The Canucks aren't getting any of those players for Schneider. A 2nd liner or a pick somewhere between 10-20 is more like it.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:41 AM
  #61
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
His value is high, but he screams Toskala to me.

28 year old 4M back-up on a stacked team, waiting to be a #1 on another team, never established himself with his current team, had one good playoffs.

Id stay away.
Cool that's why you traded Raycroft for Rask. Seems to me Rask and Schneider are similar. Please stay away, Canucks fans love Schneider.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:43 AM
  #62
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Cool that's why you traded Raycroft for Rask. Seems to me Rask and Schneider are similar. Please stay away, Canucks fans love Schneider.
I did that?

No I didn't, never liked the trade.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  #63
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I did that?

No I didn't, never liked the trade.
Then you must have loved Kessel for 2 1sts + a 2nd

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  #64
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinikanthfan1 View Post
Luongo is our official starter

willing to take a prospect, pick, anything!!! i want him out of my team!!!
He definitely has serious value but he needs to play a couple games, and play well, before he is traded in my opinion.

There is a long line of goalies in the NHL that played well 1 year and mentally cracked afterwards. Be nice to see Schneider stop a few pucks before shelling out anything significant.

Since Schneider is young I doubt teams like Florida or Washington have interest. Philly might but they have the Bryzgalov problem and it's unlikely anything is done there until the summer.

Teams that wouldn't be interested:

San Jose
Tampa Bay
St. Louis
Boston
Anaheim
New Jersey -- not until a year after next
Detroit
Minnesotta
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburg
Florida - not with Markstrom and Theodore.
Washington
Nashville
Winnipeg
Buffalo
Colorado
Phoenix - not with Mike Smith still in town
Dallas
Carolina
Los Angeles
New York Rangers


Maybe

Columbus - Bobrovsky...
Philly - probably not until the summer
Calgary - hard to tell what they are going to do but with Kipper the interest would be mild

Teams with interest

Toronto
Chicago - although Crawford is playing better


There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams with a need for a young goalie. Schneider is great but with one year under his belt many teams have a young tender that has demonstrated brilliance but still needs consistency.

If anything this might drive the price for Luongo up.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
  #65
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Then you must have loved Kessel for 2 1sts + a 2nd
LOL, you sound grumpy. Why is this about the Leafs.

It should be about how similar Schneider is to Toskala.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:58 AM
  #66
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
LOL, you sound grumpy. Why is this about the Leafs.

It should be about how similar Schneider is to Toskala.
It's just funny how Leaf fans are

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
  #67
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,613
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
It's just funny how Leaf fans are
It's actually very funny that you think Schneider would return a prospect that could turn into a star and a 1st.

Halak returned Eller and some other additions...and Montreal had two #1 goalies at the time.

Halak accomplished much more than Schneider when he was traded...and was a playoff hero.


Last edited by Pi: 02-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:00 PM
  #68
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The flaw in your argument is it relies on GMs disregarding Schneider being outplayed by a top five goalie in the league who is absolutely on fire. Every analyst worth that salt has cited Schneider among the best young goalies in the league for quite some time. He will garner a better return than Varlamov or Halak.
Not at all.

The excuse for why Schneider doesn't have experience in a #1 role is irrelevant. The fact is, a team that trades for him (at $4m) is going to be a team that views him as the #1, or at the very least, the front half of a tandem... and he has very little experience / success in that role. Just because Luongo is infront of him, doesn't mean he's automatically capable of making the backup-to-#1 jump... and until he does that, teams are going to value him with that questionmark.

With Halak/Varlamov, you had a couple of substantially younger guys, a smaller contract (in Varlamov's case), and two players who had stolen the starting job for prolonged stretches of time. Bobrovsky is an even better example, as he took the reigns for Philly the previous season, playing 54 games straight out of Russia and putting up an excellent .915 / 2.59. That's something that Cory Schneider has never even come close to doing.

Schneider's taken the reigns for short stretches, but over the life of his ~70 game 4 1/2 year NHL career, he's predominantly been a backup.

Schneider is almost definitely the best backup goalie in the league, although calling him young at this point is starting to become a little bit of a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
His value is high, but he screams Toskala to me.

28 year old 4M back-up on a stacked team, waiting to be a #1 on another team, never established himself with his current team, had one good playoffs.

Id stay away.
Toskala is actually a very good example of how teams get burned trading for backups. By now, most teams have seen enough get burned that they're not going to make the same mistakes. There's just too big a jump to make, and you cannot reliably take numbers in a backup/AHL/jr/college role and translate them to being a #1 netminder in the NHL.

Until Schneider establishes himself as a #1, and proves to be reasonably successful in that role, his value is going to be limited to guys like Halak, Toskala, Bobrovski, Varlamov, etc. Teams just aren't that naive these days.

Is that something to be upset about? no, only if you have totally unrealistic expectations. It'll be a first round pick or one of a team's best prospects, as well as some other asset, whether that be a pick, prospect, or immidiate help.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:17 PM
  #69
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,135
vCash: 500
A week ago, nobody wanted Luongo because he had lost his job to Schneider and Schneider was the new No.1. Schneider was considered better than a guy who has proven to top 5 in the world for a decade. Today, nobody wants Schneider because he is a back-up that can't establish himself as a No.1 and is being compared to flash in the pan goalies like Toskala and Raycroft.

Wow!

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
  #70
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
A week ago, nobody wanted Luongo because he had lost his job to Schneider and Schneider was the new No.1. Schneider was considered better than a guy who has proven to top 5 in the world for a decade. Today, nobody wants Schneider because he is a back-up that can't establish himself as a No.1 and is being compared to flash in the pan goalies like Toskala and Raycroft.

Wow!
Welcome to HFBoards where if you don't have .950+ sv% or a hattrick in your last game you're essentially a terrible player.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:29 PM
  #71
Vancouver Canucks*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CANADA , COBOURG
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Schneider for Couturier

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
  #72
Wizeman*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
His value is high, but he screams Toskala to me.

28 year old 4M back-up on a stacked team, waiting to be a #1 on another team, never established himself with his current team, had one good playoffs.

Id stay away.
Thanks for the insight. We will take your advice. Toskala must be 35 years old by now. Even 40 . We will steer clear of him.

As for Schneider, hes not 5 foot 3 like Toskala. Hes 6ft 2 and hes won at every level hes played at.

hes also won the jennings trophy at the NHL level.

His value is Couturier and Simmonds.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
  #73
Cash for Nash
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinikanthfan1 View Post
Luongo is our official starter

willing to take a prospect, pick, anything!!! i want him out of my team!!!
To CBJ

Schneider

To Van

1st rounder (lowest of our 3 first rounders)
Tim Erixson
4th rounder

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:35 PM
  #74
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 500



Neither of these players has trade value, according to the geniuses on here

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
  #75
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,921
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
To CBJ

Schneider

To Van

1st rounder (lowest of our 3 first rounders)
Tim Erixson
4th rounder
I would trade him for something around Brassard + LA/NYR 1st.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.