HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cory Schneider

Old
02-02-2013, 01:20 PM
marty111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs81 View Post
I see what your saying but if Reilly reaches his potential

Reilly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarson

That would be a great top 4 for us. Reimer isnt that bad its just the D is dreadful in front of me. Reimer isnt the only one in that situation, i mean look at bryz hes a good goalie but he isnt doing great because of phillys defense injuries etc. Toronto needs a better Defensive Defensive men not a goalie
Totally agree with that. And I can see maybe they don't having a dying need for a goalie but if the choice was up to me, I would still try to bring in more help in goal.

Nonetheless, the is probably one of the few times I am happy I can't make decisions about the Maple Leafs. It's a pivotal point for the franchise and some smart moves have to be made... even if that means sticking with what you got.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Brassard has never had 50 points. Please tell me you are not just looking at goal and assist totals to determine if he is a good fit on Vanocuver. What makes you think he can play on the wing? We may as well just keep Raymond then wasting value on this guy to play out of position and pay him more.
I thought Columbus' top-6 centres right now are Dubinsky and Johanssen, with Brassard playing on the wing. If he doesn't play wing I obviously wouldn't do it, but I am under the impression he can play both equally well.

Anyways, I think you're right, that we can get better value though. I'd be interested in something around JVR from Toronto, Kuznetsov/Forsberg/maybe Johansson from Washington, etc.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I thought Columbus' top-6 centres right now are Dubinsky and Johanssen, with Brassard playing on the wing. If he doesn't play wing I obviously wouldn't do it, but I am under the impression he can play both equally well.

Anyways, I think you're right, that we can get better value though. I'd be interested in something around JVR from Toronto, Kuznetsov/Forsberg/maybe Johansson from Washington, etc.
It's simply a no go from Toronto. His style of play is so important to the Maple Leafs - something they have been lacking for years and years - and they just can't part with him, even if value is fair.

It's like Kassian for the Nucks. It makes no sense to move him even if for a player of the same value. By the by, I've been really impressed with him so far this year... taken me by surprise.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Numbers

Quote:

Dubinsky is a winger, so unfortunately you are under the wrong impression. But just looking at goals and assists is not an adequate way to judge if a player will fit on a team.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Nazem To Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Totally agree with that. And I can see maybe they don't having a dying need for a goalie but if the choice was up to me, I would still try to bring in more help in goal.

Nonetheless, the is probably one of the few times I am happy I can't make decisions about the Maple Leafs. It's a pivotal point for the franchise and some smart moves have to be made... even if that means sticking with what you got.
I fully agree

Nazem To Kessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
It's simply a no go from Toronto. His style of play is so important to the Maple Leafs - something they have been lacking for years and years - and they just can't part with him, even if value is fair.

It's like Kassian for the Nucks. It makes no sense to move him even if for a player of the same value. By the by, I've been really impressed with him so far this year... taken me by surprise.
Then unless we're packaging Schneider for Kessel, I don't see any possible deal to be made with Toronto, at least imo.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
marty111

Quote:
Then unless we're packaging Schneider for Kessel, I don't see any possible deal to be made with Toronto, at least imo.
I hear you. I'm sure if you dealt Schneider you could get a young quality player that could step in your top 6 right away like a JVR which sounds like the Nucks main need right now.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree with Gardiner he is overrated a bit but with a huge fan base and finally seeing a player with a huge upside in a while on the team he will be a bit overrated. I dont find Schneider overrated that much its just hes not worth a 1st + Blue chip + a roster player.
I don't think Gardiner is grossly overrated, nor do I think that it's wrong for you guys to rate such a young, high upside player a little more than I think he is.

I would probably do Gardiner and a first for Schneider. Two players with high high upside, but I think Cory is worth a little more as of right now. It can be 2014. I would also do something based around JVR

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Eastside

And I thought the Luongo thread was bad. This is completely ludicrous. Canucks fans are acting like Luongo has now all of a sudden proven he's a stud and should stay. Newsflash, he's always been great. Yes, he's having a better start to the year than CS, but its been 8 games! The decision was made to trade Luongo based on years of seeing both he and CS in action.

Other fans trying to devalue CS, please just stop. All we hear in the Luongo thread is how "he isn't even the number 1 on his own team, nobody is going to give up anything good for him." Now, he starts two games in a row, and its Cory who has no value because HE can't claim the number 1 status?

Had Luongo given up a couple goals to Colorado, or worse a few to Chicago last night, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. And that speaks volumes. (And yes, I know it was a Canucks fan who started the thread. Shame on you).

Eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Billy6

Quote:

G Cory Schneider

D Jake Gardiner
F Clarke MacArthur* / F Tyler Bozak*
2014 1st

*with Toronto retaining some cap hit.
This is the dumbest proposal I've seen on this board to date, and that's saying a lot.

You want to trade a top prospect and a first round pick, not to mention a decent roster player, for a goalie who has never proven that he can be a legitimate number one goalie in the NHL?

I sincerely hope that you are a Canucks fan because any Leaf fan that thinks that this would be a beneficial trade for the Leafs is a complete moron.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
This is the dumbest proposal I've seen on this board to date, and that's saying a lot.

You want to trade a top prospect and a first round pick, not to mention a decent roster player, for a goalie who has never proven that he can be a legitimate number one goalie in the NHL?

I sincerely hope that you are a Canucks fan because any Leaf fan that thinks that this would be a beneficial trade for the Leafs is a complete moron.
So at the very least you would not consider Schneider a top prospect? No sorry Leaf fans think goalies grow on trees and have no trade value.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:53 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
So at the very least you would not consider Schneider a top prospect? No sorry Leaf fans think goalies grow on trees and have no trade value.
27 yr old prospect LOL

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
27 yr old prospect LOL
No kidding he isn't, because he has shown to be very good. I was just trying to make a point, but Leaf fans on here are ridiculous. Keep your concussed Gardiner Canucks don't want or need him.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Billy6

Quote:
I have no problem with Schneider, but he is not worth Gardiner, Mac/Bozak, and a first round pick. Especially when you consider that the Leafs are a rebuilding team. You need as many young assets as possible. You do not trade three assets for one. That makes no sense. That's what they did in the Kessel trade and it has gotten them nowhere.

Leaf fans need to wake up and start being realistic. Let the team they have play and see where they end up at the end of the year. These attempts to rush this rebuild are completely counter productive and are the main reason that the Leafs have been so bad for so long.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
HooliganX2

It seems like Van fans are over rating Schneider's value he has never proven he can be an NHL starter and he has not been that good this season either. To think that Schneider would return a 1st and top prospect just is not going to happen.

Until Schneider proves to be a starter and plays well for a whole NHL season his value is questionable and teams would most likely just trade for cheaper risky options in goal.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:

edit: funniest post in this thread so far

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
birddog*

Tampa, St. Louis, Ottawa, and others have found a way to solve there goaltending issues without mortgaging the future. While many around here think the Leafs can deal Gardiner, a 1st + for Schneider it's not ever going to happen. Simply put that first could EASILY be top 5. Toronto isn't in a position to do this. Toronto is better off waiting until the off-season and grabbing a UFA goalie. They aren't winning the cup this year and dealing multiple young players/assets is just going to set them back more than ahead.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:19 PM
NoShowWilly

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
It seems like Van fans are over rating Schneider's value he has never proven he can be an NHL starter and he has not been that good this season either. To think that Schneider would return a 1st and top prospect just is not going to happen.

Until Schneider proves to be a starter and plays well for a whole NHL season his value is questionable and teams would most likely just trade for cheaper risky options in goal.
he isn't being traded so it doesn't matter. Luongo is leaving in the offseason if he isn't moved before.

NoShowWilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
marty111

Quote:

Quote:
I have no problem with Schneider, but he is not worth Gardiner, Mac/Bozak, and a first round pick. Especially when you consider that the Leafs are a rebuilding team. You need as many young assets as possible. You do not trade three assets for one. That makes no sense. That's what they did in the Kessel trade and it has gotten them nowhere.

Leaf fans need to wake up and start being realistic. Let the team they have play and see where they end up at the end of the year. These attempts to rush this rebuild are completely counter productive and are the main reason that the Leafs have been so bad for so long.
I am Leafs fan. We can keep the personal insults aside too, that would be appreciated.

Cory Schneider is a better goalie then any available on the market and likely would be the best goalie the Leafs have had since Belfour.

Regardless of the amount of games he's played in, he's played excellent for long enough - in big games - to show he's the real deal. At 27 he's the perfect age and will likely be a top goalie for 8-10 years. Not to mention he's on a good deal for three years and he becomes the perfect goalie for a rebuilding team. A Schneider / Reimer tandem would be one of the best in East.

MacA or Bozak are useful players but redundant now. You can make a case for Bozak but they are both UFAs and the Leafs either have replacements for them or need to upgrade them now.

So essentially we are trading Gardiner and a 2014 1st; this year doesn't matter in the rebuilding scheme of things.

I'm going big with a move like this but we absolutely have a model that might attract a Getzlaf this summer if he makes it.

F Lupul _ Getzlaf _ Kessel
van Reimsdyk _ Grabovski _ Kulemin
Frattin _ Kadri _ Komorov
Brown _ McClement _ XXXXX

D Phaneuf _ Gunnarsson
Liles _ Rielly
Franson _ Komisarek
Kostka

G Schneider
Reimer

That's how a franchise turns the corner. We have good prospect depth at all positions, a few blue chippers / young players with huge potential [keep in mind we still have the 2013 1st] AND a team ready to compete at a high level.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Flames rebuilder

Iggy, Gio + Butler for Kassian, Schneider, Ballard + Tanev

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Linden*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post

If Schneider proves himself over a full season, his price will skyrocket. We then wouldn't take a largely unproven prospect and a pick for him.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Iggy, Gio + Butler for Kassian, Schneider, Ballard + Tanev
No thank you.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
If Schneider proves himself over a full season, his price will skyrocket. We then wouldn't take a largely unproven prospect and a pick for him.
I don't get how someone thinks a 27 year old goalie who shows the potential to be the next big thing isn't part of the rebuilding process.

No matter how patient you want to be with a franchise, there is no guarantee we will ever draft or sign a goalie as good as Schneider is.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Linden*

Quote:
I don't get how someone thinks a 27 year old goalie who shows the potential to be the next big thing isn't part of the rebuilding process.

No matter how patient you want to be with a franchise, there is no guarantee we will every draft or sign a goalie as good as Schneider is.
exactly

Drafting goalies is largely a crapshoot, as well as signing a goalie often means that you are overpaying for an older goalie whose best years are behind him.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Billy6

Quote:
I am Leafs fan. We can keep the personal insults aside too, that would be appreciated.

Cory Schneider is a better goalie then any available on the market and likely would be the best goalie the Leafs have had since Belfour.

Regardless of the amount of games he's played in, he's played excellent for long enough - in big games - to show he's the real deal. At 27 he's the perfect age and will likely be a top goalie for 8-10 years. Not to mention he's on a good deal for three years and he becomes the perfect goalie for a rebuilding team. A Schneider / Reimer tandem would be one of the best in East.

MacA or Bozak are useful players but redundant now. You can make a case for Bozak but they are both UFAs and the Leafs either have replacements for them or need to upgrade them now.

So essentially we are trading Gardiner and a 2014 1st; this year doesn't matter in the rebuilding scheme of things.

I'm going big with a move like this but we absolutely have a model that might attract a Getzlaf this summer if he makes it.

F Lupul _ Getzlaf _ Kessel
van Reimsdyk _ Grabovski _ Kulemin
Frattin _ Kadri _ Komorov
Brown _ McClement _ XXXXX

D Phaneuf _ Gunnarsson
Liles _ Rielly
Franson _ Komisarek
Kostka

G Schneider
Reimer

That's how a franchise turns the corner. We have good prospect depth at all positions, a few blue chippers / young players with huge potential [keep in mind we still have the 2013 1st] AND a team ready to compete at a high level.
We don't even know yet if Reimer is better than Schneider. Put Reimer in net for a Stanley Cup contending team and see what he can do and put Schneider in net for the Leafs over the last two years, and maybe you'd be on here saying that we should trade for Reimer.

You don't rebuild a franchise into a Championship contender by trading multiple assets for one. That is what they did in the Kessel trade. It didn't work out, and the Leafs are a worse team today as a result.

You my friend are one of those Leaf fans that is so desperate to see playoff game at the ACC that you are willing to completely mortgage the future for a shot at 8th place this year.

PATIENCE!