HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Clean Hit" by Stuart puts Landeskog on IR

Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Stuart was skating directly towards Landeskog while Landeskog was riding the boards. He had some intention of hitting him, as there was no possible way he could've picked the puck up without making contact. If he did not have a direct intention to hit him, he made an error in judgement which is still NOT excusable.

He made no attempt to stop or "skid" himself to avoid contact.

It is still Stuart's fault, as you do not directly charge an opponent (not the penalty, sorry for the better lack of word) unless you plan on hitting them.

You do not skate directly into an opponent who is riding the boards, while facing each other, unless you plan on:

A: Making a hit

B: You're just dumb and an error in judgement

If he wanted to make a legal hit, he should've skated backwards poked checked or "layed him out" at the blue line if he wanted to "put on a big hit". He is too close to the boards to avoid injury, which should be a penalty and a suspension.

Whether he tried to make the hit or not, we certainly know he didn't try to hit the head on purpose, he at least had an error in judgement and broke the cardinal rule: Do not aggresively skate towards your opponent when they are lined up against the boards, ESPECIALLY with their head down.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: flaming
I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
kento19
@kento19

I'm an avs fan and in hockey terms I think it's a beautiful check. However, if the NHL are saying hits the the head are illegal, this hit is illegal. I think hits to the head are part of the game as long as it's shoulder to head like this hit. If there's an elbow involved, disciplinary action should be taken but that is not what the nhl are trying to do. They are trying to remove head checks completely and if that's they're intention, this is a place where it occured.

So in my opinion, it's a good old fashioned hockey hit, but based on the NHL's rules, it's not legal.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

You don't directly charge an opponent unless you plan on making a hit or unless they are backchecking into their zone.

ESPECIALLY when they are riding the boards. And ESPECIALLY when their head is down. Play some real hockey for once and you would know this.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: flaming
I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Martyros

elbow was underneath the chin. Stop calling it an elbow. It was a clean hit.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Score View Post
You don't directly charge an opponent unless you plan on making a hit or unless they are backchecking into their zone.

ESPECIALLY when they are riding the boards. And ESPECIALLY when their head is down. Play some real hockey for once and you would know this.
Where's the charge? He was skating backwards, then stopped, then took 2 VERY short steps. It was Gabriel's speed coming in that made it such a hard hit. The heavy hitters in the league specifically look for an opportunity, this was one of those opportunities that Stuart couldn't pass up. This sport is quickly diminishing as a "tough" sport because of all the fuss on a clean hit.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: quote
Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Drij

I thought the NHL was trying to take out head shots and limit concussions?
He clearly got hit in the head and the NHL did nothing about it.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
I'm really enjoying all of these non-responses. I concede that Landeskog should have kept his head up. I also concede that it might not have been a violation of rule 48.

The point (again, for the 4th time) is the practice of going high on these hits. It is unnecessary and causes concussions. I would like to see guys man up and keep their momentum horizontal. It requires more commitment from the hitter, but it would result in fewer concussions.
Have you ever actually thrown a body check before? Because it's a lot harder then you think to just keep your momentum lateral if you want to make a good hit. Try gliding on your skates, lean back laterally and then try to hit someone. Not gonna work out very well for you because you'll have no balance on the hit. You compress your knees a little, and pop into the hit because it makes it more effective.

You know what else would cause less concussions, not playing hockey. If we try to take all injuries out of the game, it's not going to be the same game anymore.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
I'm an avs fan and in hockey terms I think it's a beautiful check. However, if the NHL are saying hits the the head are illegal, this hit is illegal. I think hits to the head are part of the game as long as it's shoulder to head like this hit. If there's an elbow involved, disciplinary action should be taken but that is not what the nhl are trying to do. They are trying to remove head checks completely and if that's they're intention, this is a place where it occured.

So in my opinion, it's a good old fashioned hockey hit, but based on the NHL's rules, it's not legal.
Read the rules again!

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
He got hit to the head because he made himself smaller and was looking down. There is a certain degree of self preservation one must take in hockey...hence the "keep your head up" mentality. If the league ruled this to be an illegal hit due to the fact that contact was made to the head all any player would have to do to avoid being checked was make themselves smaller entering the zone by crouching or putting themselves into a prone position.

Much as players now turn their backs on incoming players when they are near the boards...removes the ability to make a hit as one cannot hit someone in the numbers. This has removed a lot of excitement from the game and created sheltered plays.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Zaffy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm not saying go Bertuzzi or McSorley on him. Bordeleau is a big dude who can crush you with some hard (and legal) hits. That's what I want to see

The league also claimed that hit on Landeskog was clean so I would be okay with a hit like that to Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, or Couture. A nice hit to the head but......clean.
more like a claude lemieux thing.
The hit was clean, Landeskog said so, the League said so, every rational hockey fan has said so. It sucks that your guy got hurt, but when you go calling for targeting with intent to injure other teams stars then you are the problem. You don't understand hockey.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: trolling
Zaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:42 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Something was done about it. Stuart ate some right hands. That's how it should be...

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:43 AM
malPHONEY

I hope the Avs didn't let him back in if he got a concussion on that hit.

malPHONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

This just in...hockey is a contact sport and people get hurt. Clean hit, Landeskog has to be aware of who is on the ice. He saw Stuey coming and kept going forward. When has Stuart let anyone off the hook?

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

The lesson here is; dont instigate with a visor on.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
The lesson here is; dont instigate with a visor on.
They both had visors on so...

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
They both had visors on so...
But O'Byrne instigated after a clean hit. If he had've taken his helmet off before going after Stuart, it would've been a different game.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Score View Post

Beer league hockey is not the same as NHL hockey dude.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

One more time, the rule clearly states that two things have to happen for a hit to be in violation of Rule 48.1:

1) The head is the principle point of contact, and
2) the head is targeted

BOTH of these things have to be true. The head can be the principle point of contact provided there is contact made to the rest of the body. This is considered coincidental contact with the head rather than intentional, or targeted, contact with the head. Shanahan himself has said this, and there is a video clearly outlining the differences between legal and illegal contact to the head. It is pretty easy to find with a quick youtube or google search.

Also, it doesn't matter if both players are wearing a visor. The instigating player is the player being looked at. If you instigate a fight wearing a visor it could be with the goalie who is wearing a full mask and it's the same penalty. The other fighter will get the usual 5 minutes unless he did something else first.

02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

100% clean, shoulder down, both feet on the ice.

Keep your head up.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
Clean hits can be predatory. I don't think this was a very malicious hit though. Stuart stepped up and Landeskog didn't expect him to. Landeskog has to be smarter than that and not assume others will play nice.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

So every knows, we are here to discuss the hit and the injury that resulted. We are not here to ***** and moan about how local broadcasters are "homers". Watch it on mute or get over it.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Clean hit

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
I wish people were capable of seeing that Lando's head WAS up and he knew the hit was coming and had no other choice but to trust Stuart wouldn't take advantage of him being vulnerable. He was boxed out by Burish? and if he didn't poke the puck in he was exposing his team.

The problem in my opinion was the high hit Stuart laid on him, if he kept his shoulder down and drove into his chest instead of hitting him in the chin none of this ever happens and Landeskog doesn't sustain a head injury.

But hey, at least everyone now knows a hit to the head isn't illegal so that should be stuck to consistently this year, right? Oh, you mean Backes got a match penalty against Detroit for not even hitting a player's head? Gotcha.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Kitten Mittons

I'm sure the dumb ass medical staff letting him play after that hit bears some responsibility for him being on IR.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
But hey, at least everyone now knows a hit to the head isn't illegal so that should be stuck to consistently this year, right? Oh, you mean Backes got a match penalty against Detroit for not even hitting a player's head? Gotcha.
Refs always make the correct call and are never wrong.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote