HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Clean Hit" by Stuart puts Landeskog on IR

Old
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Stuart's hit is different than the Backes hit because Huskins is standing straight up and is just as tall as Backes, so Backes didn't have any upward momentum.
You have this backwards. Why would there be less upward momentum if you are hitting a higher target.

Makes no sense.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Rewatch the hit. Stuarts shoulder raised up to Stuarts own head level when he made he hit. I might not be a normal human, but my head raises above my shoulders.
I don't need to rewatch the hit. It's called momentum. That happens on so many hits. As long as the elbow stays tucked and Stuart doesn't jump into him as he is making the hit, it is legal. He didn't do either of those. His shoulder lifted up after making the hit, not before. Like I said, if Landeskog isn't leaning forward, then we wouldn't have 2 threads about this hit. Landeskog leaned forward at the last second and hockey is a fast game, responsibility is as much on the player who is hit as it is on the player doing the hitting.

cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
He was looking up when he got hit, he wasn't making himself smaller.
Regardless if his head is down or not, Stuart should have got a penalty and suspension.
Its like as you said when a players turns his back along the boards and gets hit from behind. The player who hit him still get penalty and suspension.
It never mattered in the past if the player who got hit put himself in a vulnerable position.
Watch the replay again...the 1 from the sharks feed as the angle is significantly better. You can clearly see Landeskogs head is down watching the puck while transitioning the neutral zone only looking up as he enters the Sharks zone. Additionally both players have knees bent before contact only Landys is significantly more so. He makes himself vulnerable and has poor balance when the hit occurs.

I hate that players turn to the boards...it's an example of pathetic play. Not something to be used elsewhere on the ice. Don't want to be hit in hockey don't carry the puck into the opposing zone...dump and chase. If you do carry the puck in keep your whits about you and you can avoid or minimize a hit. Failure to do either of these should not be grounds for suspension. Even Landeskog said it was a good hit...how much more proof do you need?

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo train View Post
I don't need to rewatch the hit. It's called momentum. That happens on so many hits. As long as the elbow stays tucked and Stuart doesn't jump into him as he is making the hit, it is legal. He didn't do either of those. His shoulder lifted up after making the hit, not before. Like I said, if Landeskog isn't leaning forward, then we wouldn't have 2 threads about this hit. Landeskog leaned forward at the last second and hockey is a fast game, responsibility is as much on the player who is hit as it is on the player doing the hitting.
You should really watch the hit. His shoulder lifted up just as he hit the head. Try again.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:
You should really watch the hit. His shoulder lifted up just as he hit the head. Try again.
It's called momentum, after he hits his body will go up, everyone knows that.

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
This will be a learning experience for Landeskog that he needs to keep his head up. Hope to see him back ASAP.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
If a tall truck hits a smaller car, why does the truck bounce upward? Is the truck launching itself upward?
I've seen this myth posted on here before. This video is perfect:

The truck only bounces up when it hits high. If it hits center mass, there is no upward bounce.

Same as in hockey.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
I watched the game, I've watched the hit. I know a thing called momentum. Most people do, it's not too difficult to understand. If you're crouching and skating quickly into a guy and run into him, do you really think both players are just going to stay still in the relatively same stance? No, when you are in a crouching position and hit someone, you launch up.

Last edited by cheechoo train: 02-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Everyone watch that video at 5:20 and explain to me how that's any different from Stuart's hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
You have this backwards. Why would there be less upward momentum if you are hitting a higher target.

Makes no sense.

If you run into a 3 foot wall, your momentum takes you up and over the wall. If you run into a 10 foot wall, you just bounce back. This is because you have more upward momentum if you collide with a lower target and you have less upward momentum if you collide with a higher target.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

While Landeskog got his head up in the last second, he was leaning forward to get then puck he just lost possession of. This put him I'm a vulnerable position. If you hit someone and they're leaning forward, of course you're going to hit their head first, doesn't mean Stuart was targeting his head.

At the point of contact Stuart was in a crouched position and didn't launch into the contact. For those talking about Stuart crouching and exploding upwards, if Stuart doesn't do that after the contact he'd probably get decked himself.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Nacho
Special

so the conclusion is, if you are kneeling /crouching its ok to hit the head...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:42 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
I've seen this myth posted on here before. This video is perfect:

The truck only bounces up when it hits high. If it hits center mass, there is no upward bounce.

Same as in hockey.
Stuart is higher than Landeskog, just like in the 2nd part. Stuart was almost straight up, giving him a high center of mass while Landeskog was crouched down, giving him a lower center of mass. That's why Stuart bounced upward, just like the truck. Backes wasn't higher than Huskins because Huskins was straight up as well. That's why Backes didn't bounce upward, just like in the first part.

So no, Stuart didn't "launch" himself into Landeskog.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
so the conclusion is, if you are kneeling /crouching its ok to hit the head...
Yeah, pretty much, because if you're kneeling or crouching, and you aren't Zdeno Chara, then you shouldn't even hit the other player's head unless they too are kneeling or crouching in a vulnerable position. If you are crouching when first contact is made, then you can't possibly be targetting the head unless you completely extend your elbow outwards, which Stuart clearly does not do. Thanks for the great summary.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
sancho839

Quote:
so what is your take on Torres' hit on Hossa? Hossa turned towards center ice, and could have easily saw Torres coming. But it resulted in an injury and a suspension.
honestly, it's a stupid play by hossa to turn around in the neutral zone. but torres JUMPED INTO Hossa, which is illegal. add in Torres' history and his suspension wasn't a surprise.

sancho839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Stuart is higher than Landeskog, just like in the 2nd part. Stuart was almost straight up, giving him a high center of mass while Landeskog was crouched down, giving him a lower center of mass. That's why Stuart bounced upward, just like the truck. Backes wasn't higher than Huskins because Huskins was straight up as well. That's why Backes didn't bounce upward, just like in the first part.

So no, Stuart didn't "launch" himself into Landeskog.
Watch it again:

Now try to honestly tell me Stuart didn't extend upward into Landeskog.

Keep in mind, I am not saying Stuart's hit is necessary illegal according to the rules.

All I am saying is Stuart didn't have to go high like he did. It still would have been a huge hit and Landeskog might not have a concussion.

I would like to see more center mass bodychecks and fewer where a player goes high like this.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: you need to calm down
Old
02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good hit.

02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Clean hit. Landeskog made one last lunge to get the puck into the zone, which lowered his head to Stuart's shoulder level. I can't believe some of you think this was illegal. Have you read the rules? North-south hits like this are not illegal by default. Stuart didn't leave his feet, put up his elbow or anything. It was a shoulder that got Landeskog's head. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Making head contact doesn't mean it's the same as targeting the head maliciously. It's pointless to even argue about this, unless both sides (good hit vs bad hit) understand the difference. It's painfully obvious, that one of them doesn't.

Hope Landeskog gets healthy soon, but this is still a clean hit.

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Brokencow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
He was looking up when he got hit, he wasn't making himself smaller.
Sure he was looking up in a literal sense. However I completely disagree how you are interpreting it.

Brad Stuart is 6'2 Landeskog is 6'1. Landeskog did look up at the last second and got a face full of shoulder. Unless Brad Stuart has a 1 inch head ala Beetlejuice I don't see how this is possible if both players are positioned upright. Landeskog did lower his head and body position.

Additionally, I agree Landeskog did get his head up but it was at the last second before impact. That doesn't count as having your 'head up'.

If you are driving a car while texting only to look up at the last second before impact you would not complain that you were 'watching the road'. If Landeskog truly had his head up and was looking where he was going he wouldn't have crashed squarely into Stuart's shoulder. It's that simple.

Last edited by Brokencow: 02-02-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Brokencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
Clean hits injure players. It happens

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Watch it again:

Keep in mind, I am not saying Stuart's hit is necessary illegal according to the rules.

All I am saying is Stuart didn't have to go high like he did. It still would have been a huge hit and Landeskog might not have a concussion.

I would like to see more center mass bodychecks and fewer where a player goes high like this.
I did say he went upward. But only after contact. To me, he didn't extend his arms and shoved Landeskog into the ice.

Quote:
Stuart only went upwards AFTER he made contact. It's called momentum.
Of course Stuart could've softened the blow had he really wanted to by letting him go by, but then he wouldn't be doing his job, would he?

The only other alternative would have been to take his knees out. Which do you think Landeskog would prefer? In order for Stuart to hit him in the chest he'd have to get lower than a crouching Landeskog, which is impossible for him. So Stuart did what he did.

I think Stuart did his best to minimize injury. It's just unfortunate that Landeskog is in IR, but it certainly wasn't malicious or suspendable.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic. The last thread on this was locked, and I'm pretty sure this one will soon.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: quote and reply
Old
02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Brian28

Quote:

Stuart looked braced for the impact and momentum carried him up. Bracing before impact will do that which is also what seperates a very solid hit from being run over yourself.

Stuarts hit is in no real way illegal outside of contact to the head, but since it was nto the intended target (obvious from his positioning and the fact he had his own knees bent for bracing...arm came up after the hit not before)there is no illegal measure there either.

Stuart didn't have to go high but Landy didn't have to reach for the puck eithes. Landeskog could have minimized or avoided the impact by letting the puck go instead of trying to make the play. The argument there goes both ways.

The hit would have been to the center mass instead of high if Landeskog wasn't bent over trying to make the play. The still frame shots are even better for demonstrating that point than the video. Landeskog and Stuart are almost the same height and Stuart has his knees bent...how low does Landeskog need to be for his head to connect with Stuarts arm like he did?

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: quote
Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Clean hits injure players. It happens
Too many people don't seem to understand that.

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Winky

Boohoo. Clean? Dirty? Everyone whose opinion actually matters said it was a clean hit. So what's the purpose of further discussion?

Even if everyone arguing here agreed that it was dirty. It won't undo the hit or make Landeskog healthy.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: I say no
Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Looked perfectly fine to me.

He extended his arm after the contact to push him off and send him flying.

People up in arms over a hit like this are a joke to the sport of hockey.

Yeah, it sucks when a big time player for your team goes down, but keep you head up kid.

Sometimes you need to learn the hard way I guess.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote