HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Blues release Tkaczuk, former top prospect

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Blues release Tkaczuk, former top prospect

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...13&hubName=nhl

Maybe Dudley would try and sign him...

Old
09-22-2003, 07:18 PM
wint

The Panthers have to figure out what to do with players a lot more talented than Tkaczuk (namely Shvidki, Hagman, Novo...)

Old
09-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
The Panthers have to figure out what to do with players a lot more talented than Tkaczuk (namely Shvidki, Hagman, Novo...)
I agree. Montréal and Carolina should be interested in this.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:40 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattihp
I agree. Montréal and Carolina should be interested in this.
Why would anyone be interested? Tkaczuk was a pick of the Calgary Flames (wasn't he something like second or third overall behind Joe Thornton in '97?), and St. Louis just acquired him in hopes he'd pick up with a change of scenery. Apparently it wasn't the case. The guy'll probably land in the ECHL in a couple of seasons (or sooner) or go to play in Europe. If his prospects don't pick up, he'll probably retire from hockey inside of four years. After all, it's going into six seasons since he was drafted, and I don't know if he's even played in an NHL game.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
He is still young and is a reasonably strong centre with a good playmaking ability and good work ethics. I think that he can still make it as a third liner.
Truth to be told he hasn't even gotten a big chance in the NHL after playing with the flames (where he actually was pretty good), not even after a good season in the "A" did he get his chance with St Louis.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Clash*

I think part of the reason St. Louis brought him in was because of his brother. Daniel went 6th overall, and while it may be takin him some time, how long has it taken Jokinen to show he was worthy of a high draft position? I'm not sayin bring the kid in, as I feel we most certainly don't need him, but to say the kid is ECHL fodder at best is a stretch also. Ray Whitney sucked while with San Jose and Edmonton, and exploded with a change of scenery to here.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:12 PM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I think part of the reason St. Louis brought him in was because of his brother.
AFAIK they're not brothers. Their surnames are spelled differently, Daniel Tkaczuk was born in Toronto whereas Keith Tkachuk was born in Melrose, MA, USA.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
AFAIK they're not brothers. Their surnames are spelled differently, Daniel Tkaczuk was born in Toronto whereas Keith Tkachuk was born in Melrose, MA, USA.

People always make that mistake...

In limited playing time with Calgary.. He put up like 11 points in 15-17 games. Real good numbers...

But we are over loaded now... I would rather Shvidki than Dan.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:06 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I think part of the reason St. Louis brought him in was because of his brother. Daniel went 6th overall, and while it may be takin him some time, how long has it taken Jokinen to show he was worthy of a high draft position? I'm not sayin bring the kid in, as I feel we most certainly don't need him, but to say the kid is ECHL fodder at best is a stretch also. Ray Whitney sucked while with San Jose and Edmonton, and exploded with a change of scenery to here.
Whitney didn't suck in Edmonton...there was just too much depth in that club for his position and role as a scoring forward. He was squeezed out, which is why he went on waivers.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:50 AM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
ray whitney sucked as a member of the sharks? shows how long you have been following hockey

Old
09-24-2003, 06:55 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
Despite the alternate spellings, they're supposedly cousins of some sort. I know, I thought it was odd too.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
Despite the alternate spellings, they're supposedly cousins of some sort. I know, I thought it was odd too.
I heard they're not. I heard somewhere that Daniel is somehow related to former ranger Walt Tkaczuk though.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
You sure you're not thinking of Chelios and Tselios?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Clash*

Whitney sucked. He didn't play defense and he didn't produce enough for the role he had on the team. Despite puttin up 40 points twice with the Sharks, he still spent the 96/97 season mostly in the minors. As for Edmonton, he played 9 games before bein waived and comin to Florida.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:53 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
You sure you're not thinking of Chelios and Tselios?
That might very well be it... I just remember hearing that two players with seriously different name spellings were cousins a year or two ago.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Heimy

I think we're all related :p

now who's your daddy?

Old
09-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Tkachuk and Tkaczuk are no relation to each other. And I can tell you from watching Tkaczuk (the one released) in training camp that he's good if you need to add depth.....for your ECHL team. Otherwise he's got skill but doesn't have any desire whatsoever to take his game to the point where he could be a good NHL 3rd-liner. He expects it to be handed to him, and until he "gets it", he'll be lucky to make a beer team in Canada.

09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
What's the story on Novoseltsev? Does he even have a spot with the team at this point?

Old
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
What's the story on Novoseltsev? Does he even have a spot with the team at this point?
More than likely not, as accordin to today's Sun Sentinel, he's been playin with what is pretty much the AHL San Antonio team, during scrimmages.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Crossbar

I believe I heard somewhere that former Panther Tommy Fitzgerald was related to Keith Tkachuk somehow but I don't believe Daniel Tkaczuk is related to Keith.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Clash*

Tommy Fitz and Keith are cousins. That's for sure.

Closed Thread