HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Making DVDs From Satellite TV

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Wild Thing

vCash: 500
Making DVDs From Satellite TV

It's getting to be time for me to build a new computer. It's been almost 4 years since I built my last one, and there's some new technology that I'm not up to date on - specifically, DVD burners. One of the things I really want to do with my next machine is bootleg movies and hockey games from the Dish. So I have a couple of questions that maybe someone here can help me out on.

First of all, what kind of a connection will I need? Is there some kind of card that lets me run coax from the Dish box right into the computer, or what? Just exactly how does this part of it work? I'm totally in the dark about this.

Do I need any special graphics card?

How much RAM should I count on? I'm probably going to go with about a gig anyway, but if the final cost of the machine starts stretching the budget, would 512 still be enough to handle the video files?

Who makes good DVD burners? Is any particular manufacturer an industry leader here, or are they all pretty much the same? Anyone I should stay away from?

So, that's about all I can think of at this point. Can anyone help me out with some answers here? Or for that matter, can anyone suggest some questions that I didn't think of, but ought to be asking?

Old
03-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
First of all, what kind of a connection will I need? Is there some kind of card that lets me run coax from the Dish box right into the computer, or what? Just exactly how does this part of it work? I'm totally in the dark about this.
I'm not 100 percent certain, but I think you can go from the satellite to the DVD burner directly with an RCA cable or an S-Video. I know you can record to your Video Card with S-Video then burn the file to DVD that way, also. I'll ask my brother on Sunday when I see him if you want me to, he could go on for hours about this.

Quote:
Do I need any special graphics card?
Nah, just one with an S-Video output if you wanna do it that way..which is just about all video cards today.

Quote:
How much RAM should I count on? I'm probably going to go with about a gig anyway, but if the final cost of the machine starts stretching the budget, would 512 still be enough to handle the video files?
512 should be fine for what you are doing, but I wouldn't be running a bunch of other programs while you're doing it, either.

Quote:
Who makes good DVD burners? Is any particular manufacturer an industry leader here, or are they all pretty much the same? Anyone I should stay away from?
All the big computer electronics companies make DVD burners. I have two Samsung drives, a DVD/CD-RW/CD-rom combo drive and a DVD burner and I've been happy with it. I wouldn't really say there is an industry leader, though.

As far as who to stay away from, I would only caution that if the name sounds cheap, it probably is. Stick with the well known brands.

Quote:
So, that's about all I can think of at this point. Can anyone help me out with some answers here? Or for that matter, can anyone suggest some questions that I didn't think of, but ought to be asking?

Old
03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Wild Thing

Thanks, Brad, that's some good advice. You've given me a great starting point.

I appreciate your offering to ask your brother, but I'd hate to waste too much of his time, and the time it would take you to transcribe his responses. If it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind knowing some more details about connections - coax, S-video, whatever. I'd also like to know if contemporary video cards have in/out connections - I assume there's a way I can run the signal back out of my computer into my TV, but again, I'm totally ignorant on how that might work. But like I said, I don't want to waste too much of your brother's time. Maybe you could ask him if he could recommend any message boards or Usenet newsgroups that I could browse. You can learn a lot by eavesdropping on geeks.

One other thing I'm curious about - what kind of file sizes are we talking about here? In case I want to download the movie directly onto my hard drive and copy it to DVD later, how much room do I need? Is an 80-gig hard drive big enough to hold a movie or two?

Old
03-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Murphy*

Quote:
One other thing I'm curious about - what kind of file sizes are we talking about here? In case I want to download the movie directly onto my hard drive and copy it to DVD later, how much room do I need? Is an 80-gig hard drive big enough to hold a movie or two?
An 80-gig hard drive is definetly big enough to hold a movie or two but I'd say if there isnt a big price difference to jump for the 250-gig one. We bought a new one on boxing day for I think about 100$ cdn and that was just 10$ more than the 80-gig hard drive. It's definetly useful to have the more room, especially since I virtually filled the whole thing up within 2 weeks(I download alot). One other thing we did with the bigger hard drive was to partition it, one was a 60-gig partition so that we could back things up onto the old 60-gig hard drive if we ever wanted to re-format and not have to worry about burning backup dvd's.

Also, we bought an LG dvd burner and the laser actually died within 3 months of having bought it. By this time, the receipt was lost somewhere in the house and we thought we were screwed. But after contacting LG, they offered to take it back and replace it, thing is though, they replaced it with a dual-layered burner no extra cost. So that was pretty cool of them. Better than what staples did with our flatscreen monitor. We brought it in to be repaired and they stole it. So they gave us 600$ store credit about 8 months later...********...

Old
03-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Brad*

Quote:
I appreciate your offering to ask your brother, but I'd hate to waste too much of his time, and the time it would take you to transcribe his responses. If it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind knowing some more details about connections - coax, S-video, whatever. I'd also like to know if contemporary video cards have in/out connections - I assume there's a way I can run the signal back out of my computer into my TV, but again, I'm totally ignorant on how that might work. But like I said, I don't want to waste too much of your brother's time. Maybe you could ask him if he could recommend any message boards or Usenet newsgroups that I could browse. You can learn a lot by eavesdropping on geeks.
Oh it's not problem. As my brother he has to do as I tell him or risk being harmed. I'll ask him about how these connections work and get things cleared up.

Quote:
Yeah that should hold more than a movie or two, and once you have the file burned on to a dvd you can delete the file from your hard drive to get some more room.

Closed Thread