HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Vintage Jets 3rd Jersey for 2013 season?

Old
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Jetsfan79

vCash: 500
Vintage Jets 3rd Jersey for 2013 season?

Has anyone heard if the Jets are planning to release a throwback-style 3rd jersey for this upcoming season? Last year they didnt have enough time to develop one which is understandable considering they barely had enough time to develop/release their main jerseys. But there should be no reason not to have one this year.

My hope would be for a full retro look jersey but I wouldn't mind a modern, sleak update using the original logo(s) either

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 06-29-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
Has anyone heard if the Jets are planning to release a throwback-style 3rd jersey for this upcoming season? Last year they didnt have enough time to devolop one which is understandable considering they barely had enough time to devlop/release their main jerseys. But there should be no reason not to have one this year.

My hope would be for a full retro look jersey but I wouldn't mind a modern, sleak update using the original logo(s) either

Thoughts?
I can't remember which article it was stated in, but apparently they didn't submit a 3rd jersey design for next season.

I'm hoping they go for a retro look similar to this:

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Highly doubt it. They're smart, they're going to wait for sales of our 2 current jerseys to slow down.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
the only third jersey that MAY happen is switching the front logo with the shoulder winged logo.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdude View Post
Highly doubt it. They're smart, they're going to wait for sales of our 2 current jerseys to slow down.
Scott Brown said it wasn't going to be released for this upcoming year. He said it's possible for the year after next, also I wouldn't rule out the Jets looking to secure the Heritage Classic and waiting for that to release a 3rd jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
the only third jersey that MAY happen is switching the front logo with the shoulder winged logo.
Anything to back that up?
I've heard the opposite many times. I think people within TNSE have even talked about "retro jerseys" and their preference to go the WHA route as opposed to the NHL jerseys.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Scott Brown said it wasn't going to be released for this upcoming year. He said it's possible for the year after next, also I wouldn't rule out the Jets looking to secure the Heritage Classic and waiting for that to release a 3rd jersey.

I've heard the opposite many times. I think people within TNSE have even talked about "retro jerseys" and their preference to go the WHA route as opposed to the NHL jerseys.
I was talking with a local retailer a few months ago.
That is just what he told me.
Take it for what it is worth.

Hence why I said "may"

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
I have zero attachment to the WHA jerseys, and actually find them a little ugly.

My preference is 90's era, followed by 80's era with the armbands down the sides. But knowing TNSE desire to go for the most historically relevant, WHA is probably what it will be.

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Chipman himself said last year that at somepoint down teh road he could see a retro 3rd jersey and that he would prefer the WHA ones

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Chipman himself said last year that at somepoint down teh road he could see a retro 3rd jersey and that he would prefer the WHA ones
I thought it was Chipman, but I figured it was safer to not assign a name if I wasnt certain.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well I don't think he ever wanted to name them the Jets either.... So take that for what it's worth.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Chipman never explicitly said he wanted the WHA jerseys as the third jersey, but it would make the most since a lot of people already own the 80's and 90's Jets jerseys. Less opportunity to turn a profit with those ones.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
How awesome would that be? Jets skate out in their 90's era jerseys to "jump" by Van Halen!!!!

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:24 AM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

In order to capitalize on merchandising revenues, the WHA jerseys are a much safer option. Many people still have 80s and 90s jerseys, nostalgically. Albeit the names on them would be different, and a lot would be sold regardless. I like the WHA option, I think it rekindles the former glory of our team, as one member dutifully reminded me some time ago.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I can't remember which article it was stated in, but apparently they didn't submit a 3rd jersey design for next season.

I'm hoping they go for a retro look similar to this:

I want this. And we could use it on HNIC when we play Edmonton, who would wear their orange Alberta Oilers retro look.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

People are always claiming that the old jerseys belong to the Coyotes (they don't).. but remember, the NHL Winnipeg Jets were an expansion team, and their original logo was very similar to the WHA Jets.. but THEY WERE NOT THE SAME TEAM. Just like this Winnipeg Jets team is not the same as the one that played here in the 80's and 90's. Therefore, by using the WHA team logo, they're essentially bypassing the whole "That logo belongs to a different team that's still playing in Phoenix" arguement for the time being. Plus it's more classic than the other Jets logos.

In summary, the WHA records of the original Winnipeg Jets do not belong to the Phoenix Coyotes, they belong to the history of the city of Winnipeg. As such, the jerseys do too.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
I've been thinking about the 3rd jersey and I would like to see some kind of nod to the Thrashers uni. It doesn't need to dominate the jersey, but perhaps a thrasher shoulder patch?

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:16 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle View Post
I've been thinking about the 3rd jersey and I would like to see some kind of nod to the Thrashers uni. It doesn't need to dominate the jersey, but perhaps a thrasher shoulder patch?
I'm going to respectfully say no thanks to this. Just my opinion tho

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle View Post
That would be fine. The Flames use an Atlanta-style "A" for the assistant captains.

Maybe one day they will have an exhibition game in Atlanta where they could wear Thrasher jerseys for one night only.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

A shoulder patch like my avatar would be cool.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
A shoulder patch like my avatar would be cool.
I agree. I've always thought your avatar was cool.

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
How awesome would that be? Jets skate out in their 90's era jerseys to "jump" by Van Halen!!!!
Ummm I'd say the opposite of awesome. Worst Jets unis of the first incarnation, and the lamest glam rock band evah? Pass, gimme the WHA uni and I'll be happy.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I'd really like to see an Thrasher patch on the shoulder, just done in the Jets colors.

07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
JETZZZ

Heres an idea for a third jersey based on the one the uniform worn the year they won their first AVCO Cup. I used the current shades of red and blue and added the new jet in the logo. Id like something simmilar to either one to be used for a third or perhaps a herritage classic jersey someday.
Attached Images
File Type: png herpderpityherpderp.png‎ (90.5 KB, 47 views)

JETZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Ummm I'd say the opposite of awesome. Worst Jets unis of the first incarnation, and the lamest glam rock band evah? Pass, gimme the WHA uni and I'll be happy.
The Jets 90's era uniform is my favourite hockey uniform of all time. But then again, I also like the Montreal Canadians uniforms, and the 90's Penguins. There's something about going back to basics that just appeals to me.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
sully1410

I like the 90s jets one as well. I was cleaning out my garage today, and I found a little ceramic bear wearing the jersey that my father got me all those years ago.

It's now in my sons room.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote