HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Fucale vs Jarry

Old
04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

vCash: 500
Fucale vs Jarry

Can someone tell me more info on these 2. Where you think they will be drafted? Who they compare to

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
tony d
The man

I think Fucale gets drafted towards the end of Round 1 while Jarry gets drafted in the early to mid 2nd round.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Fozz

Not sure. I would draft Jarry before Fucale and I'm sure some teams feel the same way. It's so difficult to predict where they'll end up going, other than they'll both drafted between #15 & 60. I know... Weak prediction.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
KelownaRocketsFan
almostcanadian

Really hard to predict (as always when you're talking about goalies). Right now I'd pick Fucale over Jarry. Fucale was often ranked in the top 15 or even top 10 but most teams don't like wasting their early pick for a goalie who might end up like Rick DiPietro or Al Montoya. In contrast to those two, guys like Lundqvist and Miller were drafted in round 7. Because of that I think that Fucale will be picked somewhere between 25 and 50 and Jarry between 31 and 60.

KelownaRocketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Is Jarry really that light? Elite has him at only 148.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Is Jarry really that light? Elite has him at only 148.
He is 6'2" 184lbs. on the WHL site.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Kevin8se7en
Former Flyers Fan

Do either of them rank along side of guys like Subban and Vasilevski?

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:03 AM
PantherStriker

vCash: 185
I've said this in previous threads, but I'm not completely sold on Fucale. Im worried he might have some packed stats because of the team he plays on which can turn the opinion of people who havent watched the Mooseheads

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:09 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
I've said this in previous threads, but I'm not completely sold on Fucale. Im worried he might have some packed stats because of the team he plays on which can turn the opinion of people who havent watched the Mooseheads
Well I would like to think any NHL team thinking of taking a player has most likely watched him play, they aren't just stat watching, that goes for the scouting agencies as well.

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:31 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Can someone tell me more info on these 2. Where you think they will be drafted? Who they compare to
i'll preface that saying b/c i'm in ontario - i've only seen fucale live "in person" a couple times and only watch Q games when i got to the effort of getting them.

i think he should be the #1 goalie taken in the draft - whether he's taken in the first round will depend on the draft lists of each teams - and guessing where a goalie will go is an unpredictable game to play...esp. b/c this is a year which is being pumped as heavy on good forwards...all of which is to say that whether he's taken in the first or not will depend as much on whether there's a big run on forwards as it does on how good he is.

i find fucale very impressive - his size isn't fantastic but he's very athletic and good positionally. he's a better goalie than his stats this year indicate - halifax is heavy on puck possession, which lowers the # of "normal" shots he sees.

re: jarry. sorry, no educated comments to share on him.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:33 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
ha ha ha...i just saw your post after i posted my own. my opinion was different - that a few of his stats might be misleadingly bad b/c of how much time his team spends in the opposite zone shooting.

i'm not criticizing you whatsoever...i'm just posting this b/c it's funny how different people see stats completely differently

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:45 AM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
ha ha ha...i just saw your post after i posted my own. my opinion was different - that a few of his stats might be misleadingly bad b/c of how much time his team spends in the opposite zone shooting.

i'm not criticizing you whatsoever...i'm just posting this b/c it's funny how different people see stats completely differently
Agreed fully. And he has not been slightly phased by a weak game either, he always bounces back overnight.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Same thing applies to Jarry.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
PumpkinBomb

Certain teams are amazing at developing goalies.

The Oil Kings have done an excellent job with Lanigan, Brossoit, and Jarry.
In a few years, I bet Dea will be an amazing goalie too.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
bigdirty

For Jarry, I can't speak directly on his abilities since I've had very limited viewings of him.
Going from what others here have said, he's obviously very talented, but I don't think there's any question that he's got a lot more to prove that Fucale. He probably would've been a full time starter on many teams, but he wasn't, that's just how it is. Someone posted a while back some interesting statistics on how a large percentage of Jarry's starts came against teams in the bottom half of the WHL standings. Again, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have beaten better teams as well, but it didn't happen.
He just hasn't had the same opportunity as Fucale, so there's no way to say what he would've done in a hypothetical situation where he did have that opportunity. He could be the better of the two down the road, but in this situation it's even harder to predict than most goalie vs. goalie comparisons, which are already near impossible to begin with.

I've seen a lot of Fucale, and a lot of other QMJHL goalies down through the years, and there is every reason to believe he will be one of the best, maybe even the best in a very long time.
Fucale had a challenge this season that not many junior aged goalies have to worry about: His team controlled the puck so well that he often went long stretches without facing a shot. Staying in the game mentally is not easy in those situations, and the mental game is so important to goaltenders.
As for stats, I really don't know if it's fair or not to say his stats were padded. Halifax is a fantastic team this season, but we all know when you take more chances offensively, it can cause turnovers and odd-man rushes. On top of that, Halifax has seen many changes to it's D this season, even Junior A call-ups playing regular shifts at some times. Defensively, Halifax has holes, there's no question about that.

And then there's the 11-12 season. Halifax really wasn't supposed to be very good last year, and though MacKinnon gets most of the credit, Fucale was the teams saviour. I can't remember how far his consecutive games streak got, near 30 games I think, but that kind of streak would've been impressive for any goalie. For a 16 year old rookie, it was just unreal. Even more so considering that the streak only ended because he left for the under-17s. Oh yeah, he also played fantastic during that stretch.
Scouts have had many opportunities to see Fucale in action, and I can't imagine any of them coming away unimpressed. He's also got a pretty good resume for a 17 year old:
2011-12 QMJHL All-Rookie Team, QMJHL record for most wins by a rookie goaltender (32)
Gold medal 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament
2012-13 QMJHL First All-Star Team, passed JS Giguere to become franchise leader in career wins(Giguere set his mark in three seasons to Fucale's two).

Comparing the two is going to be beyond difficult for anyone. If a team has really done their homework on Jarry, and believe that he's just waiting to prove he's an elite prospect, I could see him possibly getting picked first, especially if it's a team with more than one 1st round pick. I think it's just hard not to take Fucale, since there is every reason to believe he will become a top goaltender.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
17Kurri

I haven't see enough of Fucale to make a fair assessment, although what I have seen doesn't leave me particularly inspired.

As for Jarry, he'll be an NHL starter one day, imo. Great focus, excellent technically/positionally, tremendous compete level and reflexes. He has carried the OK's on his back a few times over the past couple of seasons. I really look forward to seeing what he does next year when he will be the number 1 guy.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote