HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Drama Surrounding PK Subban

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
  #101
Davebo
BeepBeep!
 
Davebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Where there's smoke there's fire.
But in this case it's a fire built of BS - smelly - but effective in blinding the gullible.


Or something...

Davebo is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:38 PM
  #102
janecky
Registered User
 
janecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
This is no different than the Vancouver goaltending controversy the media insists on perpetuating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Because the media never attempts to spin something out of proposition and place undue emphasis on falsehoods and melodrama. I reiterate, how long has their been a supposed goalie controversy in Vancouver despite no indication of one?
The Canucks have been in their prime Cup-contending years, but the window is closing. Last year their backup goaltender took the starting job in the playoffs, and the club has been trying to offload the former starter for many months now. The cap is going down next year, but as long as Luongo is there they carry a $9.3m cap hit split between the two goalies. To make the situation even more striking, Luongo is now getting starter minutes while Schneider sits. But according to you, it's just the media that "insists on perpetuating" a "supposed controversy". Of course!

janecky is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:41 PM
  #103
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
PJ Stock knows more about the inter-workings of a pro sports team locker-room better than anyone here.
Knowledge is one thing.

Being an idiot is another thing and usually means you don't know what to do with that knowledge (just like a number of lawyers who appeared before me over the last 25 years).

beauchamp is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:43 PM
  #104
VL55
Registered User
 
VL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Where there's smoke there's fire.
I hate that proverb.

First of all, if taken literally, it's just false. There can indeed be smoke without fire.

And as a metaphor, it is also wrong. I can only hope that no one here believes that a rumour can't start without containing at least a shred of truth. I mean, you all went to high school, right?

VL55 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
  #105
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
What is your source that PJ Stock is an idiot? He works as a broadcaster for a major national network.


What's your opinion of Glen Healy? Doug MacLean? Don Cherry?

PS: He is an idiot.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  #106
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,782
vCash: 500
habs respected beat writer

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Need more than 140 characters to comment on CBC Subban thing. But much of it is laughably wrong. Anyone around or on #Habs knows that, too

Hugo Sham is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:00 PM
  #107
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post


What's your opinion of Glen Healy? Doug MacLean? Don Cherry?

PS: He is an idiot.
Well they're a hell of a lot more credible than you, for one.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
  #108
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Where there's smoke there's fire.
The smoke, however, is in PJ Stock's pants. Wanna go check?

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:15 PM
  #109
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well they're a hell of a lot more credible than you, for one.
How do you know that?

Have you ever caught me in a flat out lie?

You're funny.

Back to more serious things.

So let me get this right.

Anyone employed by a broadcast media can't be an idiot?

That was the point of the post quoted.


beauchamp is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
  #110
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
How do you know that?

Have you ever caught me in a flat out lie?

You're funny.

Back to more serious things.

So let me get this right.

Anyone employed by a broadcast media can't be an idiot?

That was the point of the post quoted.

Credibility =/= intelligence.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
  #111
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 17,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Prust's smile isn't as big as Subban's, he clearly hates him!
Hey, that's as big as his underbite will allow.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
  #112
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Credibility =/= intelligence.
But when you're an idiot, as Stock, Healy, MacLean are, you tend to say stupid things thus staining your credibility.

You'll note that I did not include Cherry in this post, as he is a member of that rare breed, the intelligent idiots.

But to come back to your point, yes, credibility does not equate intelligence, but it's quite difficult to be credible when you're an idiot in the public limelight.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:18 PM
  #113
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
I didn't watch this game so is this what happened or am I wrong?

Stock mentions Subban's being shunned by teammates

Turns out that Subban's not being shunned by teammates and Stock just said it because he's either trying to fill air space with something he finds interesting or he's an idiot who actually thinks that's what's happening or both?

Elever is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 PM
  #114
RedBruin
Registered User
 
RedBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 500
Just leave the guy alone.
He could play on my team any day of the week.

RedBruin is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 AM
  #115
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,241
vCash: 500
Stock made the comments for the simple reason why this thread exists and goes on: we're talking about Stock.

ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
  #116
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
For whatever reason CBC seems to crap on Subban a lot more than any other station I've seen. I've also noticed they do it to Karlsson, too. No clue why, honestly.

P.K. doesn't get the same treatment any other player would. Personally, I think it's because of his basketball-like attitude. The celebrations and cockiness and perhaps some other things are not as well liked in the hockey world.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
  #117
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
But when you're an idiot, as Stock, Healy, MacLean are, you tend to say stupid things thus staining your credibility.

You'll note that I did not include Cherry in this post, as he is a member of that rare breed, the intelligent idiots.

But to come back to your point, yes, credibility does not equate intelligence, but it's quite difficult to be credible when you're an idiot in the public limelight.
You are falling victim to fan syndrome, where anybody's opinion that does not align with yours you believe as wrong and therefore you default to labeling them idiots. It's not uncommon, but to say Cherry is right when some people consider him the biggest idiot in the world just makes that point much more clearer.

So in effect, you disregard someone's opinion and therefore all future opinion because they say something you oppose, but then praise someone you naturally agree with. That is cognitive bias, and something those broadcasters (Those worth their salt) do not allow themselves to be a part of and something that you ARE a part of. That is what kills your 'credibility' and that is why they will always be more credible.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:26 AM
  #118
Habs Homer
Registered User
 
Habs Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Country: Mexico
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You are falling victim to fan syndrome, where anybody's opinion that does not align with yours you believe as wrong and therefore you default to labeling them idiots. It's not uncommon, but to say Cherry is right when some people consider him the biggest idiot in the world just makes that point much more clearer.

So in effect, you disregard someone's opinion and therefore all future opinion because they say something you oppose, but then praise someone you naturally agree with. That is cognitive bias, and something those broadcasters (Those worth their salt) do not allow themselves to be a part of and something that you ARE a part of. That is what kills your 'credibility' and that is why they will always be more credible.
Humanity is a bit more complex than that, but I'll give you a few points about being somehow on the right track regarding bias.

------

Anywyay, the fact is media will always milk stories. Hockey is big in Quebec and the return of subban stole a lot of minutes on hockey talk shows.

I've seen PJ Stock on L'antichambre (A French show with Guy Carbonneau, Michael Bergeron and a few other guys) and while most of the guys talking there usually have interesting things to say although often quite redundant and obvious, PJ Stock always come as ackward with weird and irellevant comment coming out of nowhere. The only concern I've noticed from ACTUAL CREDIBLE GUYS on TV, e.g: EX NHL COACHES seemed to be benign, and mostly about concerns of the team doing well and Subban adhering to this new strong teamwork mentality.

TLDR; You think a guy like BERGEVIN who is so fixated on creating a winning mentality would throw Subban in the locker room if he had the slight doubt that it could destroy the team chemistry? Really, PJ Stock knows better than Bergevin and Therrien?


Last edited by Habs Homer: 02-03-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typos
Habs Homer is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  #119
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,544
vCash: 50
PJ Stock wears diapers. I mean really.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
  #120
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
PJ Stock's claiming on HNIC that everyone on the Habs bench dislikes Subban and he's currently being shunned by his teammates.

Why all the hate? I don't get what the big deal is.

I know Stock's an idiot...so not the most credible source....but is the situation in Montreal really this bad?
PJ Stock sucks.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
  #121
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,492
vCash: 500
Reading the last pages was funny.

So PJ "laughing" Stock, who has never, ever, had an ounce of credibility suddenly has some now because PK Subban is involved in one of his non stories?

People are just using this bs to further rag on Subban, nothing to see here.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  #122
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Reading the last pages was funny.

So PJ "laughing" Stock, who has never, ever, had an ounce of credibility suddenly has some now because PK Subban is involved in one of his non stories?

People are just using this bs to further rag on Subban, nothing to see here.
Nothing new. Its hate habs boards here not hfboards lol.

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #123
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,124
vCash: 500
Are people really taking PJ Stock seriously?

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
  #124
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,542
vCash: 500
99 times out of 100 the media has absolutely no clue and is just making something up for the sake of a cheap story.

Considering the source here, i'd say this story falls into the 99 as well.

I put no stock into what PJ has to say.


TOML

TOML is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  #125
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurdities View Post
Humanity is a bit more complex than that, but I'll give you a few points about being somehow on the right track regarding bias.

------

Anywyay, the fact is media will always milk stories. Hockey is big in Quebec and the return of subban stole a lot of minutes on hockey talk shows.

I've seen PJ Stock on L'antichambre (A French show with Guy Carbonneau, Michael Bergeron and a few other guys) and while most of the guys talking there usually have interesting things to say although often quite redundant and obvious, PJ Stock always come as ackward with weird and irellevant comment coming out of nowhere. The only concern I've noticed from ACTUAL CREDIBLE GUYS on TV, e.g: EX NHL COACHES seemed to be benign, and mostly about concerns of the team doing well and Subban adhering to this new strong teamwork mentality.

TLDR; You think a guy like BERGEVIN who is so fixated on creating a winning mentality would throw Subban in the locker room if he had the slight doubt that it could destroy the team chemistry? Really, PJ Stock knows better than Bergevin and Therrien?
I agree that there is likely nothing to all this. I have a hard time believing a lot of the locker room problem stories.

But he did put himself out there with it, and we're not talking about the **** throwing Eklund here. So we'll just have to wait and see when it comes to Subban.

smackdaddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.