HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Old
02-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Chairman Maouth

vCash: 50
Play nice please folks, or the internet police will Taser you.

02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

vCash: 500
Team leader? I've never encountered one of those before

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
At this point our trade chips appear to be Niskanen, Tangradi, Jeffrey, Kennedy, minor league d-prospects, and draft picks.
I wouldn't be suprised if Despres is moved. Remember Rossi talked about it? lol. He's playing great, but if he's on the block, we'd want him to play great. Not saying I want him moved. But if he + TK + a pick could bring in Iggy or Ryan or someone, I'm for it.

Terrapin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
Team leader? I've never encountered one of those before
That's because there are very few of us and we dress in plain clothes.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
not a good time for Nisky to be missing ice.
bad for him, really good for the team, in my opinion.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if Despres is moved. Remember Rossi talked about it? lol. He's playing great, but if he's on the block, we'd want him to play great. Not saying I want him moved. But if he + TK + a pick could bring in Iggy or Ryan or someone, I'm for it.
I really don't want Despres moved - I think he's going to be a great player at a very good price for the foreseeable future - and I'd absolutely hate it if it were for a rental or player with question marks.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm not worried about Nisky. He was playing great hockey.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Thanks for covering Chairman... had to step out for a while. I see system angst has degenerated into name calling. Weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Ugh, and the bolded part is exactly my point.

"More fluid in terms of who's taking the shots, where they're coming from..." are just words. They make absolutely no sense and have no substance, and it's like a politician with a really great speech, even though he's said absolutely nothing.

Before I really go off, I want you to explain to me what you mean by any of it. I have a feeling you won't have an answer.
See below. It's very simple. The two ideas I'm putting forth are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think he's just saying that our offense should be better than it is... Better players would obviously be good, but these players can do better than they [have been]....
CO-RRECT-A-MUNDO.... and that's what we gonna be... we gonna be bettah. And coo'.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:33 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not worried about Nisky. He was playing great hockey.
yeah, but does the play of Bort and Despres make him expendable if he can be part of a package that brings back a legitimate top-6 player?

Old
02-02-2013, 06:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
yeah, but does the play of Bort and Despres make him expendable if he can be part of a package that brings back a legitimate top-6 player?
Absolutely, but we won't see it. Bort will be sat, unfortunately. And I agree with tons of people who said they are like a cheaper Gill/Scuds. They are bullish, physical, won't take **** in front of the net. They deliver decent enough passes and both have enough speed to keep the puck in on offense.

I'd love to see Bort/Engo in the postseason. The physicality would be beaaauuuutttiiifffullll

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
I would think so. He's going to end up being the odd man out, partly because he has raised his stock so much these past few seasons with us and could bring a return to really help this team.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Absolutely, but we won't see it. Bort will be sat, unfortunately. And I agree with tons of people who said they are like a cheaper Gill/Scuds. They are bullish, physical, won't take **** in front of the net. They deliver decent enough passes and both have enough speed to keep the puck in on offense.

I'd love to see Bort/Engo in the postseason. The physicality would be beaaauuuutttiiifffullll
Multiple times now when Bort/Engo have been on the ice and shots get on net, I don't see anybody around the goalie. That's the kind of defense you need come playoff time.

This is why I've been wanting Bortuzzo to get in the lineup for so long now. People kept complaining that we didn't have a big crease clearer or defensive defenseman, and they wanted Shero to trade for one. Yet nobody even wanted to see what we had in Bortuzzo who is exactly that kind of guy.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
That's because there are very few of us and we dress in plain clothes.
So are you like the secret service, or a rent-a-cop?

Quote:
I would think so. He's going to end up being the odd man out, partly because he has raised his stock so much these past few seasons with us and could bring a return to really help this team.
Which would be hilarious considering that a lot of people thought he was just a scrub and wanted him gone after the first quarter season he was here. I've always been a proponent of sticking by him with the hope he'd bring his stock up. This is exactly the type of situation I think some of us were looking at when we were saying we wanted to keep him around.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
So are you like the secret service, or a rent-a-cop?
More like Commissioner Gordon.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:44 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:

Personally, the thing that stands out with a potential Bort/Engo pairing is the combination of size and skating ability. They're unseasoned (well, Bort is, especially), but I like what they bring as a tandem. Two righties may be an issue, however.

SCUDeriMISSILE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
More like Commissioner Gordon.
Don't let the Chairman's modesty fool you. He meets with the NSA every Tuesday morning. You people better straighten up and fly right or he'll have you standing tall before the man!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:46 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Which would be hilarious considering that a lot of people thought he was just a scrub and wanted him gone after the first quarter season he was here. I've always been a proponent of sticking by him with the hope he'd bring his stock up. This is exactly the type of situation I think some of us were looking at when we were saying we wanted to keep him around.
Yeah, I think he's gone sooner or later anyway considering Morrow is down in WBS right now, and he's going to need somewhere to play as well pretty soon. That is unless Bylsma decides to go with 8 defensemen and only 3 forward lines with one rover

Old
02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'll just use Dupuis as a primary example. God bless him, he's as hard a worker as this franchise has ever had. Seems malleable in terms of coaching, where the guy will be willing to do whatever is asked of him.

But there's a limit to what he can do. Pascal Dupuis can score 30 goals...but he wouldn't be a 30 goal scorer if you catch my drift. It's heart breaking, because he has very good hockey sense, but his body/hands just simply don't allow him to make the right play as often as he'd like to. Imagine how many more goals he would have, and how many more points Sid would have if he had softer hands.

In other words, no "system" is going to change him into anything more than he already is. He's a straight line player that you'll never be able to trust to feather a pass over a stick, or put a put a pass in Sid's wheelhouse, or draw two men towards him and dish off to an open man. He is what he is.

Kunitz is a slightly more talented version than Dupuis. He's got a better touch near the net and has a deceptively good snapper, but even he is nothing more than a straight line guy. The way he butchered two opportunities towards the end of the (second?) when he was on with Sid and Geno is a perfect example. He to, is what he is.

Sorry Ogre, but what's pissing me off today is the phantom stretch passes everyone supposedly saw today. I have no qualms with that argument when it comes to the Isles game, but it was much less against the Rags and this afternoon, it was practically non existent.
I don't disagree with anything in this post. It doesn't change my (and I believe CV's) opinion that even with Dupuis, Kunitz and Boychuk in the top 6, this team's offense should be better than it has been. It isn't good enough for the playoffs, but its better than the first 7 games have shown.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Only - is the PP, and people who won't give MAF a + when he deserves one.

I really liked Des and Bort. I hope we never see Lovejoy in a Pens jersey again.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

I think that Paul Martin could be on the block. He's playing well which ups his value and if gone we'd still have letang-despres, nisky-orpik, bort-engo. I think Martin could bring a good return and allow the two young guys to develop while opening more money for the offseason. Also consider that we will want top give Morrow a serious look next year and it makes a lot of sense. At the least I expect Martin to be moved this offseason if despres is kept around.

penzweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
I think that Paul Martin could be on the block. He's playing well which ups his value and if gone we'd still have letang-despres, nisky-orpik, bort-engo. I think Martin could bring a good return and allow the two young guys to develop while opening more money for the offseason. Also consider that we will want top give Morrow a serious look next year and it makes a lot of sense. At the least I expect Martin to be moved this offseason if despres is kept around.
I thought about Martin, but he's one of their biggest minute-eaters now, and one of their best defensive dmen. I just don't see them trading someone who is playing 25 minutes a night unless the return knocks their socks off.

Old
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
I think its almost impossible to predict which d-man we might trade. I doubt even Shero knows. It will completely depend on what players become available and what those teams are looking for.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Multiple times now when Bort/Engo have been on the ice and shots get on net, I don't see anybody around the goalie. That's the kind of defense you need come playoff time.

This is why I've been wanting Bortuzzo to get in the lineup for so long now. People kept complaining that we didn't have a big crease clearer or defensive defenseman, and they wanted Shero to trade for one. Yet nobody even wanted to see what we had in Bortuzzo who is exactly that kind of guy.
Bort is a good crease clearer, not necessarily because he will lay people out, but he boxes them out with his big frame.

He will move them if need be, but with his body and wingspan he just shields the crease well.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
I thought about Martin, but he's their biggest minute-eater now, and one of their best defensive dmen. I just don't see them trading someone who is playing 25 minutes a night unless the return knocks their socks off.
Yeah agree. Playoff teams don't just up and trade guys like that.