HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Old
02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
BmxHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
What an awesome "breakout" game for this Pens team for this season.

+ Crosby - Completely dominated the last 2 periods and showed how great he can be and how much he can change the dynamic of this team.
+ 5 v 5 D - Another outstanding game for the team D at 5 on 5 giving up 0 even strength goals for the 2nd straight game.
+ Team energy - Just felt like much more of the roster was really emotionally involved and the intensity level was much better
+ Young/new guys - Despres, Bortuzzo, and Boychuk all had very effective, efficient games in playing their roles, bringing energy and not making mistakes
+ 4th line - outstanding effort all game maintaining pressure, keeping offensive zone time and gaining momentum on each shift
+ MAF - not highly pressured but a solid controlled effort for 60 mins to bounce back from a sloppy start against NYI

- PP - only thing that can be complained about all game

Spot on. Either the players decided they needed to be accountable and do their job with intent or DB got in their a$$ and told them to get to their game...

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
KIRK

I'm not sure what's more comical, that nobody wouldn't have put Despres as a huge PLUS or that some people think, outside the PP, all is well:

1. I said the day Despres was kept that it was a decision made with April in mind. Today, he added a physical element, big time. That's always been a big knock on him, that he won't use his size. If he'll use it-- and use it well-- against Clarkson, then he can use it against anyone.

2. I seem to recall the Pens spanking the Devils like the after Sid came back last year. Apparently, reading too much into one game only counts depending upon the outcome. The PP still is a wreck (I'd put Despres there), but the obsessive reliance on stretch passing continues. The Pens match up well against the Devils, like they do the Rangers, where only when the goalie stands on his head the Pens lose. Don't confuse riding emotion and a favorable matchup in one game with all being well . . . strike that, lots of people will anyway.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

I liked the way crosby's line played with boychuk on the wing.

boychuk-crosby-dupuis/kunitz?

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
++++ Full 60 minutes from all.
+ Welcome back to the REAL Sid.
+ Ditto to #14
+ Flower
+ Bortuzzo and Sutter's first goals as Pens
+ The moment you realize the Pens aren't "tuning out" Bylsma.

- Anyone dumb enough to think we still need to fire Bylsma/Shero or need to trade Flower/Kunitz.
count me in that DUMB group, Kunitz was awful again, one shot he fanned on he scored, he was making mistake after mistake, just happen to be on the line when Sid was back...

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm not sure what's more comical, that nobody wouldn't have put Despres as a huge PLUS or that some people think, outside the PP, all is well:

1. I said the day Despres was kept that it was a decision made with April in mind. Today, he added a physical element, big time. That's always been a big knock on him, that he won't use his size. If he'll use it-- and use it well-- against Clarkson, then he can use it against anyone.

2. I seem to recall the Pens spanking the Devils like the after Sid came back last year. Apparently, reading too much into one game only counts depending upon the outcome. The PP still is a wreck (I'd put Despres there), but the obsessive reliance on stretch passing continues. The Pens match up well against the Devils, like they do the Rangers, where only when the goalie stands on his head the Pens lose. Don't confuse riding emotion and a favorable matchup in one game with all being well . . . strike that, lots of people will anyway.
No question Despres is looking more and more comfortable and confident out there.

Curious about your thoughts on Boychuk though.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

+ Bort and Sutter for their first Penguin goals and having good all-around games.

+ Sid for being Sid. Ripped that shot on Marty; that's the Sid we remember. However that stuff at the end of the game was unnecessary and could result in him getting run by Volchenkov next game. He needs to be smarter than that. Let Boychuk handle it himself with 30 seconds left and up 5-1 and Boychuk being perfect OK / hopping back to his feet.

+ Boychuk brought some energy and nice hits / finished checks to his first start. Will take him a while to know where he's supposed to be etc but I'd say he earned another game on the Top 6. Let's see how many he can earn. In one game out there he already looked more aggressive than Tangradi, despite being a much smaller player.

++ Elmer had a great game. Aside from his skating and positioning which seems very good, I think the thing that impresses me the most for a rookie is his smarts. He seems to know exactly when to pass, dish, shoot, play one off the boards, and is very calm out there. I don't know what Ray's intentions are but if he keeps playing like this consistently his stock is going to quickly increase before the deadline. Sure as hell would not be looking for "guys who need a second chance / change of scenery" at that point. As it is, considering he did pretty well in the playoffs last year I'm thinking I'd be just as happy to keep him vs. trade him for a winger.

Especially if the Golden Boychuk scores 20 like I think he will.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Definitely hope that Bort just punched Lovejoy's ticket out of Pittsburgh.
Borts actually had a game a lot like Despres was having a few games ago, where he'd show you the good and the bad. Thing is, like Despres, it's a move that you only should judge in April.

BTW, Despres punched Lovejoy out of the lineup. Borts punched him out of town. I think, if you give him a few weeks, he'll also punch Engo out of the starting lineup when Nisky returns.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
I liked the way crosby's line played with boychuk on the wing.

boychuk-crosby-dupuis/kunitz?
Boychuk - Sid - Kunitz
DJ - Geno - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Cooke
Glass - Vitale - Adams

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

I noticed Neal & Malkin are slowly coming towards the idea of having a line mate. When Tangradi started there he could be wide open & he wasn't getting a pass. Then DJ they gave him some scraps. With Boychuk it looks like they finally decided they might have involve the other guy a little bit.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I was happy with the effort. Xs and Os can be worked out over time, I just want to see the players playing desperate and hard for 60 minutes.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
count me in that DUMB group, Kunitz was awful again, one shot he fanned on he scored, he was making mistake after mistake, just happen to be on the line when Sid was back...
I think that's being a bit hard on Kunitz. He made a fantastic pass to Letang on Letang's goal, and he made a nice turnover that lead to his own goal.

He wasn't great and still had plenty of Kunitz-hands moments but it was one of his better efforts of the year.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
BmxHockey

If Despres and Bortuzzo can continue to gain confidence and the incumbent D can continue to step up and play to their potential and lead by example, Fleury and overall defense will see more success like they did today (and the other day vs. Rangers).

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Smacker
#LetsGoPens

+ Sid, 1+2. Player of the game! Sid is back!
+ Boychuk
+ Sutter's first goal
+ MAF
+ Defense

- Powerplay

Great win today, 5-1 and tomorrow vs Caps!

LET'S GO PENS

Smacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
No question Despres is looking more and more comfortable and confident out there.

Curious about your thoughts on Boychuk though.
I liked his game. I thought Jeffrey showed a lot last game with Geno and Neal. I think Boychuk showed more.

I don't know if Boychuk is a long term answer-- I'd definitely like to see him more there-- but I'd take what I saw from his game in one game than what I've seen from TK.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Good game. Can't wait to beat the Devils tomorrow.

Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Great win.
Boychuck doesn't look out of place - nice effort by him.

Good for Sutter and Robert Bortuzzo on scoring their first Penguin goals.

Despres and Bort looking great; hope to see a lot more of them.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmxHockey View Post
If Despres and Bortuzzo can continue to gain confidence and the incumbent D can continue to step up and play to their potential and lead by example, Fleury and overall defense will see more success like they did today (and the other day vs. Rangers).
If Bylsma will let them . . . I will say that-- so far-- this is one thing he's really gotten right.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:

Funny how after 1 bad game you wanted to fire everyone and trade half the team.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
KiuasWarrior

+'s everwhere, +'s all around!

... Except that PP.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
I liked his game. I thought Jeffrey showed a lot last game with Geno and Neal. I think Boychuk showed more.

I don't know if Boychuk is a long term answer-- I'd definitely like to see him more there-- but I'd take what I saw from his game in one game than what I've seen from TK.
Agreed.
I have to see more but i think he's the best option we have if he can continue to impress.

Speedy, has some jam, and has the highest offensive IQ out of all the other options.

Not to mention signing him would make Sutter a happy man.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

+Boychuk is an NHL forward that can skate and has some puck skills. He's certainly worth an extended look.

+Fleury. He wasn't really called on until the game was essentially over, but he did his job.

+ The Lentang/Despres pair. Despres needs someone to bail him out when he makes the inevitable mistakes and Letang has been more than able to make up for them. Despres is such an exciting prospect; he makes plays that other guys just cant. His breakout passes and that stick lift early in the 3rd come to mind.

+Orpik/Martin. Last year the were awful for long stretches. Complete 180s from both guys this year.

+Crosby. Put Corey Perry or Jarome Iginla on his line and he puts up 150 points over a full season. He's unreal.

-Malkin on the point. He's a total fish out of water back there. I don't care how tired he was on that shortie, backchecking is not optional.

-Letang of the power play. There are no words...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MonsterSurge

I forgot about something...Remember that Volchenkov cross-check on Crosby?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
+ Bort and Sutter for their first Penguin goals and having good all-around games.

+ Sid for being Sid. Ripped that shot on Marty; that's the Sid we remember. However that stuff at the end of the game was unnecessary and could result in him getting run by Volchenkov next game. He needs to be smarter than that. Let Boychuk handle it himself with 30 seconds left and up 5-1 and Boychuk being perfect OK / hopping back to his feet.

+ Boychuk brought some energy and nice hits / finished checks to his first start. Will take him a while to know where he's supposed to be etc but I'd say he earned another game on the Top 6. Let's see how many he can earn. In one game out there he already looked more aggressive than Tangradi, despite being a much smaller player.

++ Elmer had a great game. Aside from his skating and positioning which seems very good, I think the thing that impresses me the most for a rookie is his smarts. He seems to know exactly when to pass, dish, shoot, play one off the boards, and is very calm out there. I don't know what Ray's intentions are but if he keeps playing like this consistently his stock is going to quickly increase before the deadline. Sure as hell would not be looking for "guys who need a second chance / change of scenery" at that point. As it is, considering he did pretty well in the playoffs last year I'm thinking I'd be just as happy to keep him vs. trade him for a winger.

Especially if the Golden Boychuk scores 20 like I think he will.
1. Elmer needs a shot in Letang's place.
2. LOVED the physical play from him today . . . you could see him feeding off the battles with Clarkson.

Side note: When I talk about 'reading too much into this game', here's an example . . . when Letang hits the net, you know the hockey gods are on the Pens side for the game.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
ss53mech

Avoiding the typical +/- format just going with player notes instead.

Boychuck- played well, used his speed, has hands that aren't quite as fast as his feet but if he keeps this up he could be an asset to that line.

Sid- showed everyone that he is still the real deal, hopefully this gets/keeps him going.

Bort- Played well, kept it simple, glad to see him get a goal. Saw some folks saying he should be our #7 I see him more as a 6/7. Nothing against Engo, I love the guy but Bort has more upside I think so it might be worth making him the #6 over Engo.

Despres- If he doesn't continue to see serious minutes it better be because he was traded for Sid's ideal winger. It took a few games but he is really a positive factor regarding the breakout. Simple decisions with good execution translates to offensive rushes for this team.

Kunuis/Dupitz- better showing this game but they aren't recognizing when the other team adjusts to sid passing off every chance. When they learn to recognize that and start feeding him Sid will start filling the net. Loved dupers hustle, hated his lack of vision at times.

Geno/Neal- they just keep quietly doing their thing. It doesn't always result in production but you can't say Neal was bad today and Geno was still playing with intensity.

Gladamitale- These guys rocked it today, this is what you want your 4th line to do.

Kennedy- Thinks because he plays on a team with Sid/Geno that he can pass like they do. Too many turnovers, I'm in favor of DJ taking his spot. DJ played great, Kennedy has been subpar all season with 30 second exceptions.

Lovejoy- Best game all year, not one bad turnover, didn't get beat in the defensive zone. Hope to see more games like this regarding the Rev.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I only got to see period 3, but here's my take

+ Crosby. Finally looked good, many chances
+ MAF. Looked solid like we need him.
+ D. No stupid played.
+ Martin on the PP. Good call finally.
+ Bort for his first goal!