HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
- the Devils forecheck was a very good test for the young blueliners and the kids held their own.

- I think people got a glimpse of why I love Bort. He was using his size and reach well today, and you saw the offensive aspect he can bring, with the pass up to Kunitz and the goal.

He got caught rubbing out the wrong guy which lead to a 2-1, but that was his only big mistake.

- Despres looked solid again. Despres is playing mean and I love it. Bort and Despres using their big bodies is such a beautiful thing to see. Both are making fwds pay for being around the net.

- Boychuk looked ok. I'm not sure where all of this praise for his game is coming from. He gets marks for being gritty and not doing anything stupid. Aside from that I wasn't overly impressed. We'll see how it goes.

- I noticed last game Vokoun rarely played the puck and it kept a sense of order and calm on the breakouts. MAF seemed to follow suit today. I'm not sure if MAF noticed this and tried the same thing or it was just a coincidence.
Jiggy, just like Despres, playing Bort now is the type of decision that is about April. Speaking of Despres, if this mean streak is a sign of what's to come as he gets even more confident out there, then he's going to be special (that always was the knock on him, no?). I'm not sure Bort gets the chance when Nisky returns, because he only gets it over Engo.

I think perceptions of how Boychuk looked are jaded by how everyone else so far has looked with Geno and Neal. Actually, I thought Jeffrey was o'k there last game. I thought Boychuk was a little better than that. That said, as I wrote elsewhere, he was better in a way that you give him another look but where his ultimate value is in making TK expendable (then again, the way TK is playing, that's not saying a ton).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And after one good one you think all is well.
KIRK, I never went "full yinzer" in the first place, like you always do. I have always supported Bylsma, because he is a great coach. (He has his name on The Cup and the Jack Adams trophy to prove it. I support Shero. He made some good trades, and got aggressive going after Parise.

I pretty much recall most of my posts about being patient and not expecting us to just run over everyone every game. This is The Show, and every team is comprised of professionals. Not only do you need talent, but you need to have some luck to win a cup as well.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:08 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Hopefully todays game proves to Shero that Lovejoy is 100% expendable. Good job Borts.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:09 PM
MonsterSurge

Engelland-Bortuzzo is one of the toughest d-pairings in the league. Both are fighters and can play.

Does anyone else go crazy when Joey V is on the ice? Even if he doesn't touch the puck, him crashing in there is just awesome.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
And to think of how many people wanted to crawl into a hole and die(Ahem, reference) after the Leafs/Jets games.

+Sid was all over the place today. He took it to another level, the team took it to another level, and dare I say, the fans took it to another level. Although they were still pretty tame for the most part.

+Bort is huge. Plays like a rock in his end. Reminds me of Michalek in some ways. Apparently, he reminded management of Michalek as well. I think his progress made Z easily replaceable in their minds and you can see why. The key is that he has been groomed for our system, and it works. Works well.

+Despres, with some confidence, is a fantastic player to watch. He tried to do too much at times but that can be corrected. His raw ability is very impressive.

Don't see how Lovejoy takes a spot over either of them at this point.

+Boychuk. Not so much what he brought in this game, but what you can see his addition brings to the team. Adds to our depth on the wings and gives us more options.

+Fleury. Didn't steal the show, but he didn't have to. He made the saves he needed to make to keep the momentum in the Pens favor.

I won't get into any real negatives since the team played well overall for the most part but Malkin and Neal annoy as me a fan at times. There's more than two players on the team when Crosby or Letang aren't on the ice with them but sometimes it doesn't seem like they understand that. They tried to work a little with Boychuk today, I guess that's encouraging. Sids steal went to Borts stick and he scored. I hope they saw that and realized there are other options out there sometimes.
Um, o'k . . .

EDIT: I'll put it this way . . . at 5 on 5, people on the ice see the puck from Geno and Neal more than Geno and Neal see it from Sid and Tanger on the PP.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
SidTheKid8787

Regarding the PP.
Theres not much improvement to be made in terms of personel and where to put them.
Like KIRK and another has mentioned, maybe try Despres in there some but you still need Letang as that right handed shot on the left side.

They really just need clean entries into the zone. Hopefully PP1 as is figures that out cuz once they get set up they are dangerous.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Man, too bad we didn't scratch Kunitz for Dj
Kunitz didn't play that well. Props for the points and sneaking a giftwrap pass by MB for a goal, but he has a way to go before he is back.

Lets not let Crosby God mode mask the problems.

The defense is playing much better and was only one lazy backcheck on the PP from Malkin from having two shutouts in a row.

However, the problems upfront need work and the PP is abysmal and was responsible for ruining the shutout.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:12 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I agree that Boychuk is a better fit than Tangradi, Kennedy and Jeffrey on the top 6 but the jury is still out on him. It is only 1 game. I do see him meshing better with Sid though. Pity he's not righthanded but beggars cannot be choosers (as they say, LOL). He still has a lot to prove. At least he didn't make many mistakes or get in the way lik Tangradi usually does.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

TK doesn't need anyone's help to make him expendable... he does it all by himself most of the time. He's an ordinary 3rd line player with better than average wheels / hustle. That's about it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shockmaster

+Crosby
+Kunitz
+Bortuzzo
+MAF
+Team defense
+Letang
+Sutter

=Malkin: Had two assists, but got lazy on that SH goal

-PP: Stop acting like the Harlem Globetrotters
-MAF bashers

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

Lest this thread become all sunshine and rainbows:

Puck support on the breakout is still iffy. I don't even care if the stretch pass is the first thing the d looks for on the breakout. I do care if they have a "check down" 8 foot pass if the stretch isn't there. I think the Pens would be better served with tight puck support from the near side winger, have the far side wing fly the zone, and relying on the centres to read how things are playing out.

Secondary scoring is also a concern. The only goal that Crosby or Malkin didn't factor in on was the absolute gift Kunitz got. Sid and Geno are great, but they miss the scoring from Jordan Staal and Steve Sullivan.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I agree that Boychuk is a better fit than Tangradi, Kennedy and Jeffrey on the top 6 but the jury is still out on him. It is only 1 game. I do see him nothing better with Sid though. Pity he's not righthanded but beggars cannot be choosers (as they say, LOL).
I think this is what most of us praising boychuk mean. Was he great? No. But with respect to the position being filled, he's the best we've seen there this year.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Um, o'k . . .

EDIT: I'll put it this way . . . at 5 on 5, people on the ice see the puck from Geno and Neal more than Geno and Neal see it from Sid and Tanger on the PP.

Sid's problem has been over-passing, not robbing Geno and Neal of their fame and glory.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Jiggy, just like Despres, playing Bort now is the type of decision that is about April. Speaking of Despres, if this mean streak is a sign of what's to come as he gets even more confident out there, then he's going to be special (that always was the knock on him, no?). I'm not sure Bort gets the chance when Nisky returns, because he only gets it over Engo.

I think perceptions of how Boychuk looked are jaded by how everyone else so far has looked with Geno and Neal. Actually, I thought Jeffrey was o'k there last game. I thought Boychuk was a little better than that. That said, as I wrote elsewhere, he was better in a way that you give him another look but where his ultimate value is in making TK expendable (then again, the way TK is playing, that's not saying a ton).
Despres never played mean consistently before, so if he keeps this up, who knows. I've never seen him use his body so much, so I'm stoked, I won't lie.

Boychuk in terms of grit looked better than Jeffrey, but he didn't make plays like Jeffrey did. His grit was unexpected, but I need to see more than the attributes of a third liner to get remotely excited.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
KIRK, I never went "full yinzer" in the first place, like you always do. I have always supported Bylsma, because he is a great coach. (He has his name on The Cup and the Jack Adams trophy to prove it. I support Shero. He made some good trades, and got aggressive going after Parise.

I pretty much recall most of my posts about being patient and not expecting us to just run over everyone every game. This is The Show, and every team is comprised of professionals. Not only do you need talent, but you need to have some luck to win a cup as well.
O'k, I'll tell you what . . . if you want to do this nicely, I said, either before or after the NYI game, you see where it's at after the 15 game point. I said after the NYI game that it reminded me of the Toronto game when Therrien was fired and that this could be the end. I said after the NYR game, which was in a lot of ways a pretty ****** showing, perhaps it was a baby step but that I'd be unsure if another step was real or based more on a false sense of security from Sid, Geno, or Fleury going god mode. Sid went god mode today-- a day when the PP continues to look worse and where there still is almost exclusive reliance on the stretch pass BUT the emotion was a lot better. It's another positive step. Twelve games to go. Nobody will be happier than me to see, beyond the record, positive signs in terms of how the Pens are playing and how Bylsma is coaching. But, I'm also not going to slurp on the kool-aid, because I've seen the play about ignoring regular season signs and how they can translate in the playoffs three times already. Fair enough?

Old
02-02-2013, 03:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Sid's problem has been over-passing, not robbing Geno and Neal of their fame and glory.
FYI, mine was as much a comment about a coaching staff that sees wisdom in making Geno or Neal PP defensive decoys as anything else.

Quote:
Despres never played mean consistently before, so if he keeps this up, who knows. I've never seen him use his body so much, so I'm stoked, I won't lie.

Boychuk in terms of grit looked better than Jeffrey, but he didn't make plays like Jeffrey did. His grit was unexpected, but I need to see more than the attributes of a third liner to get remotely excited.
1. Agreed on Boychuk, which is why I see him as more likely to make TK expendable than anything else.

2. That Despres went toe to toe with Clarkson like that is what had me stoked.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Engelland-Bortuzzo is one of the toughest d-pairings in the league. Both are fighters and can play.

Does anyone else go crazy when Joey V is on the ice? Even if he doesn't touch the puck, him crashing in there is just awesome.
Bort will throw, but he will get jacked by a heavyweight.

He isn't really a great fighter, but he can handle himself because of his reach.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think this is what most of us praising boychuk mean. Was he great? No. But with respect to the position being filled, he's the best we've seen there this year.
Then we're on the same page on his assessment. I just hope Where doesn't relinquish his hunt for a really good offensive minded righthanded winger who can help the PP on the left side (ie. Setoguchi)

Old
02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
FYI, mine was as much a comment about a coaching staff that sees wisdom in making Geno or Neal PP defensive decoys as anything else.
after the NYI game, I was there with you, pitchfork in hand. Now, I'm not saying everything's been fixed, but my biggest problem was that it appeared the team was tuning Bylsma/the coaching staff out. The Rangers game was far from perfect, but was a step in the right direction. I thought today was a full team/full game effort. They've fixed my biggest concern.

Are there still issues? Yea. A lot of them, but I actually expect Xs and Os issues after a lockout (every team is dealing with them). I didn't expect a lack of desire and effort.

If the Pens had come out against the Rangers and Devils and tanked it, I would have said DB needed to be fired immediately, but I think the teams earned the right to get the same grace period as every other team in the NHL.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:

He isn't really a great fighter, but he can handle himself because of his reach.
What have you thought of Engo's play this year?

Nisky comes back, and either Engo or Bort sits. Bort in another half dozen or so games will be at another level still, but I don't think it will matter.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

I concur with what you said about Boychuk.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Outside of the shorthanded goal against, there isn't much to complain about.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
after the NYI game, I was there with you, pitchfork in hand. Now, I'm not saying everything's been fixed, but my biggest problem was that it appeared the team was tuning Bylsma/the coaching staff out. The Rangers game was far from perfect, but was a step in the right direction. I thought today was a full team/full game effort. They've fixed my biggest concern.

Are there still issues? Yea. A lot of them, but I actually expect Xs and Os issues after a lockout (every team is dealing with them). I didn't expect a lack of desire and effort.

If the Pens had come out against the Rangers and Devils and tanked it, I would have said DB needed to be fired immediately, but I think the teams earned the right to get the same grace period as every other team in the NHL.
Read what I wrote above in reply to Oglethorpe.

Before the NYI game (I just remembered timing), I said let's see where we're at after 15 games to RRP. After the NYI debacle, I voted 15 games. For discussion purposes, I've got no problem doing the game in and game out thing, but for evaluation purposes there's still 7 to go.

EDIT: And for the X's and O's issues to be the same as the end of last year after the coaches had 7 months to evaluate and address . . . you expected that? Even I didn't, but I've always been an optimist.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
MtlPenFan

This may be my only post of the day.

There was hardly a stretch pass today. Anyone who says there was is just looking at something to get angry at.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:

He went with Mirasty in his rookie season and went toe-to-toe with Lessard.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote