HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Old
02-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Smoke
The Taxman

vCash: 977
I don't seem to remember Letang being this bad on the PP, ever. I'm not sure what is wrong, but he is probably not going to be pulled from the 1st unit like many are hoping.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
+ That was best the Pens have played for a long long time. They were on their game and flying to the puck. Great aggression all game long. Great effort.

edit: And by effort.. it was the desperation they played with. They cleared zones as if it actually meant something to them. They finished hits. I finally saw the heart beat on this team. Good desperation and great effort.

+ Fourth line: They opened up a lot of opportunity today. They had the puck in the offensive zone wearing down the Devils. This really kept the Pens flowing today. I don't know why the hell anyone would change Vitale, Adams, and Glass. They really work well together.

+ NO Line Juggling: Do you see how effective it was? Yeah.. exactly. The lines start working together and grew stronger as the game went on. ****ing leave it that way DB. It truly is that simple. By the end of the game, everyone was clicking on all cylinders.

+ Defense: Despres, Bort, and Martin lead the way today. That was a coming out party for Bort. He was physical all game long. I counted 3 hits in the 1st, but I don't know what was credited to him. He truly just came into his own. Plus that was a great moment when he scored. I was so happy for him and I think he deserves an NHL spot right now. It's a shame any minute Lovejoy gets over him.

Anyone questioning Despres? He's great out there. Physical, has a great pass, solid as hell. He utilizes the boards so well to protect his passes. It's just amazing to see our defense coming to fruition.

That was one of the few games the defense played so damn well we didn't really even need Fleury to do too much. Which is exactly what happened. Great game all around by the defense.

- Only minus I really have is the turnovers off the stretch pass. We've talked about it 10 million times. We don't need to get into it again. It's just awful.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He actually got a narrow win/draw if anything. Engelland is a far better fighter than Bortuzzo.
Funny story, according to dropyourgloves.com, Robert Bortuzzo fought James Neal when they were in the OHL. But, the review said it was an "unfair" fight.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...17#Fight103217

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:35 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I like Niskanen, but I just think he's the most expendable of our guys with real NHL value. As far as waiting to see more from Bortuzzo, I don't disagree but personally I would take the risk of a shaky 3rd pairing if it means we get the winger we need.

Who is Rattie?
Ty Rattie... Portland Winterhawks

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Geno played 17 1/2 minutes in a 4-goal win. Second-most amongst forwards.

Sure, Sid got the most minutes, but he was also their best player today.
And on other days this season?

You asked, so here's Sid versus Geno on minutes this year:

2:30 more against Philly (1:45 more ES)
1:15 more against NYR (:45 more ES)
4:35 more against Toronto (2:20 more ES)
3:31 more against Winnipeg (3:31 more ES)
:56 less against (1:33 less ES)
4:03 more against NYR (2:01 more ES)

In some of these games, you're talking less ES TOI for Geno than Dupuis or Kunitz.

This is not some new trend. It's always been this way, aside from last year the second time Sid returned. Sid plays a bit more than Geno. Geno plays slightly more than Dupuis. It's a coaching decision. And, it doesn't matter how Sid OR Geno is playing. I'll leave it to you to decide if it's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Barely. Malkin still had the second most minutes out of all of our forwards. We've been playing with a lead these past couple games, Sutter and our grinding lines have been getting a couple more minutes.
You were saying . . . it's all there above in black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
nothing good
And THAT is my ultimate concern. If your coach doesn't trust one of the 8.7M per year players, then it's going to come back and bite you when the playoffs come.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
+ That was best the Pens have played for a long long time. They were on their game and flying to the puck. Great aggression all game long. Great effort.

edit: And by effort.. it was the desperation they played with. They cleared zones as if it actually meant something to them. They finished hits. I finally saw the heart beat on this team. Good desperation and great effort.

+ Fourth line: They opened up a lot of opportunity today. They had the puck in the offensive zone wearing down the Devils. This really kept the Pens flowing today. I don't know why the hell anyone would change Vitale, Adams, and Glass. They really work well together.

+ NO Line Juggling: Do you see how effective it was? Yeah.. exactly. The lines start working together and grew stronger as the game went on. ****ing leave it that way DB. It truly is that simple. By the end of the game, everyone was clicking on all cylinders.

+ Defense: Despres, Bort, and Martin lead the way today. That was a coming out party for Bort. He was physical all game long. I counted 3 hits in the 1st, but I don't know what was credited to him. He truly just came into his own. Plus that was a great moment when he scored. I was so happy for him and I think he deserves an NHL spot right now. It's a shame any minute Lovejoy gets over him.

Anyone questioning Despres? He's great out there. Physical, has a great pass, solid as hell. He utilizes the boards so well to protect his passes. It's just amazing to see our defense coming to fruition.

That was one of the few games the defense played so damn well we didn't really even need Fleury to do too much. Which is exactly what happened. Great game all around by the defense.

- Only minus I really have is the turnovers off the stretch pass. We've talked about it 10 million times. We don't need to get into it again. It's just awful.
Have you started a new category called 'assumed cluster****' for the PP, because I'm not sure how you could call that stretch pass the ONLY minus otherwise?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I gave up on the powerplay. If they simplify it, it will be gold. We just force the puck to our stars and then stand around and watch 'em. Then the stars turn around and try to magically pass through 3 guys.

But I feel for Letang. People want him to just put his head down and shoot like Sarge did, but it doesn't come easy. You are staring at Neal, Sid, and Geno.... what would you do? I'd always pass the puck because who can feel worthy shooting in that regard?

And just food for thought.. could you imagine Shea Weber firing canons from that point spot? Ohhhhhhhh only in NHL 13.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Sid plays in more defensive situations....to include about 30 seconds on every penalty kill. Geno doesn't take d zone draws or play the pk.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I gave up on the powerplay. If they simplify it, it will be gold. We just force the puck to our stars and then stand around and watch 'em. Then the stars turn around and try to magically pass through 3 guys.

But I feel for Letang. People want him to just put his head down and shoot like Sarge did, but it doesn't come easy. You are staring at Neal, Sid, and Geno.... what would you do? I'd always pass the puck because who can feel worthy shooting in that regard?

And just food for thought.. could you imagine Shea Weber firing canons from that point spot? Ohhhhhhhh only in NHL 13.
No, I couldn't. The Nashville PP moves bodies and pucks to open up those small shooting lanes for Weber.

EDIT: I'll take Despres there. At least I know he can make that perfect pass for a one-timer to Geno in thje right circle. Oops, I forgot, Geno doesn't play there.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And on other days this season?

You asked, so here's Sid versus Geno on minutes this year:

2:30 more against Philly (1:45 more ES)
1:15 more against NYR (:45 more ES)
4:35 more against Toronto (2:20 more ES)
3:31 more against Winnipeg (3:31 more ES)
:56 less against (1:33 less ES)
4:03 more against NYR (2:01 more ES)

In some of these games, you're talking less ES TOI for Geno than Dupuis or Kunitz.

This is not some new trend. It's always been this way, aside from last year the second time Sid returned. Sid plays a bit more than Geno. Geno plays slightly more than Dupuis. It's a coaching decision. And, it doesn't matter how Sid OR Geno is playing. I'll leave it to you to decide if it's a good one.
Bylsma likes to roll 4 lines. I mean, it's not a detriment when they are winning. You look at the Devils TOI and Kovalchoo played 23+ minutes. Do I want them doing that with Sid and Geno? No... I didn't feel like Malkin wasn't getting minutes today. I understand you're talking about a "bigger picture", but I just don't get bringing it up today. It's a non-issue in my mind. You're very passionate about Malkin.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Putting Despres, Letang, or anyone at the point won't change the fact that we stand around and hope our stars make a tremendous play. Going back a little bit here to Whitney's greatest attribute was sneaking in the back door. Even if they covered him... it opened somebody up. That's the whole secret to movement in the NHL. The initial movement doesn't have to work. That starts the flow that inevitably opens up a lane. Sometimes moving just to move creates a spot that opens up.

But... it won't change. I've started like 4-5 powerplay threads w/ drawn up plays and movement and it's just a tiring discussion.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Sid plays in more defensive situations....to include about 30 seconds on every penalty kill. Geno doesn't take d zone draws or play the pk.
Yes, and that's why I provided ES TOI. Defensive situations don't account for it. What does is an acceptance that you have a coach who really doesn't trust one of his 8.7M per year players and only will rely on him when he absolutely has to. Look, Geno doesn't play Bylsma hockey. He never has. It's not a natural fit for him like it is for Sid. So, maybe Bylsma is right not to trust him. It's just hard to put that type of money into a player who is anything but an ideal fit for the system, no?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

We also have back-to-back games. When we went up 5-1, I didn't want Sid or Geno to see the ice. They can use rest.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:52 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
just to get out ahead of this: Sid had 0 PK time today, and about 1:40 more of ES time. I do think there's a lot to face-off zone determining ice time, though.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Will Hunting

Sid was flying. When he plays like this, heīs making everyone look decent. Even Kunitz (yeah, first decent game by him).

Boychuk was OK, I would say it was comparable to what DJ did the last game. I still see him also as a possibility for Sutterīs line going forward.

Sutter was really good. Effective on both ends. Nothing spectacular, but if he plays like this every game, I would be delighted.

Defense. This is a major plus. it seems to me that we are more D-oriented than last year. Thatīs great to me. We can have success this season, but it comes from defense. We will score some.

Once Niskanen comes back, I want to see Engo as a 7th D-man. Nothing against him, but Bort and Despres are too good to be scratched. We can ship Lovejoy out of town right now.

Letang sucks on PP. Horrendous. But, seriously guys. Do you see how excellent he is in the defensive zone this year? I have never seen him to play this reliable and almost mistake-free 5-on-5 hockey. Winning all the battles, being in the right position and making a great transition. I would say it clearly overweighs his PP nonsense overall. He should play 2nd unit at best. Hopefully, that goal will give him some offensive confidence. He can do better than this.

Kennedy is useless and Cooke is ALMOST useless (we can still use him on PK). I donīt see a difference between Adams and Cooke right now. Both are 4th liners. Poor Brandon Sutter. Give him at least Jeffrey. Or Boychuk.

Fleury was OK, but it was too easy for him.

Overall, great effort by the Pens. Iīm glad we are beating all the good teams right now. I can take some losses to mediocre teams. Games against good teams are more important for me and Iīm glad we are doing well.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Bylsma likes to roll 4 lines. I mean, it's not a detriment when they are winning. You look at the Devils TOI and Kovalchoo played 23+ minutes. Do I want them doing that with Sid and Geno? No... I didn't feel like Malkin wasn't getting minutes today. I understand you're talking about a "bigger picture", but I just don't get bringing it up today. It's a non-issue in my mind. You're very passionate about Malkin.
I've brought it up before last year. I thought it a few times. But, once or twice, you say no biggie. Maybe one is having a better game. But, when it becomes a trend, it's worth mentioning.

That said, I'm sure you're right. I'm just passionate about Malkin. It's got nothing to do with my wondering why a coach, with Sid back and healthy, suddenly again sees Malkin at ES as being of little more use than Dupuis.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:54 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Didn't scroll throught the whole thread but...

+ Averaging 5 GPG with Boychuk in the lineup

+ Sid is back

+ Despres the past 2 games...so solid. I still wince a little sometimes when the puck is on his stick, but he's using his size and skating

+ Bort...ride him until he loses the spot.

+ Bort and Despres...I like Nisky, but as those as those two are playing like this, makes him expendable, along with a prospect and pick to get the top 6 forward needed for Sid (Iginla please!), drop Kunitz down with Malkin...raise the Cup.

- Why does ROOT never show Jimerson? We've already got the highest local ratings, but they'd double with 90 seconds of Jimerson.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:56 PM
IcedCapp

Quote:
I've brought it up before last year. I thought it a few times. But, once or twice, you say no biggie. Maybe one is having a better game. But, when it becomes a trend, it's worth mentioning.

That said, I'm sure you're right. I'm just passionate about Malkin. It's got nothing to do with my wondering why a coach, with Sid back and healthy, suddenly again sees Malkin at ES as being of little more use than Dupuis.
Heh, Kirk, I like you, I just don't know how to have this argument. You ARE more passionate about Geno than anyone else on this board. I'm not saying there aren't issues with the coaching. I've also complained about the need to roll lines the way he does, etc... I DO [edit: said don't originally because I'm a moron] think Sid's face-off ability (kinda surprised to see him at 53%+ on the season, actually) gets him a few more shifts a game due to defensive zone face-offs.

Last edited by IcedCapp: 02-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Boychuk was a pleasant surprise. I hate getting pumped over a waiver pick up, but I still question how he was even waived. He looks like an NHL player.

He might be some glue to that 2nd line. He exits the zone so damn quick. Once he gels a bit and knows where Geno goes... he could be a steal.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
We also have back-to-back games. When we went up 5-1, I didn't want Sid or Geno to see the ice. They can use rest.
C'mon, Cole . . . you too? I put the numbers above, just so there won't be any excuses.

Last year, Bylsma had no choice. He had to rely on Malkin. This year, he relies on him a little more than Dupuis because he doesn't trust him. Do YOU see anything-- all year-- that says to you Bylsma trusts Malkin?

As I said, maybe he's right. Malkin is a square peg when it comes to 'playing our game'. But, you've got 8.7M tied up in a player, maybe more a year and a half from now.

Either your coach trusts the guy or nothing good will come of it.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:57 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Didn't scroll throught the whole thread but...

+ Averaging 5 GPG with Boychuk in the lineup

+ Sid is back

+ Despres the past 2 games...so solid. I still wince a little sometimes when the puck is on his stick, but he's using his size and skating

+ Bort...ride him until he loses the spot.

+ Bort and Despres...I like Nisky, but as those as those two are playing like this, makes him expendable, along with a prospect and pick to get the top 6 forward needed for Sid (Iginla please!), drop Kunitz down with Malkin...raise the Cup.

- Why does ROOT never show Jimerson? We've already got the highest local ratings, but they'd double with 90 seconds of Jimerson.
Probably one of the best questions in any thread. It's just such a good point. He's a part of the Pens game experience. He's been there for lord knows how long. The crowd goes wild when his name is called. Root should should show him. I'm sure they can get an extra commercial in somewhere. Cut 90 seconds of the intermission so we can see it.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Heh, Kirk, I like you, I just don't know how to have this argument. You ARE more passionate about Geno than anyone else on this board. I'm not saying there aren't issues with the coaching. I've also complained about the need to roll lines the way he does, etc... I don't think Sid's face-off ability (kinda surprised to see him at 53%+ on the season, actually) gets him a few more shifts a game due to defensive zone face-offs.
Look, I'd be passionate about it IF it were the other way around. And, as I said, I could see it if it happened in more games than not. And, I even get the rolling lines variable. BUT, when one of your 8.7M per year players is closer in ES TOI to Dupuis than to the other 8.7M per year player, then I think it's a problem that's going to bite you in the *** at some point. That's all.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
C'mon, Cole . . . you too? I put the numbers above, just so there won't be any excuses.

Last year, Bylsma had no choice. He had to rely on Malkin. This year, he relies on him a little more than Dupuis because he doesn't trust him. Do YOU see anything-- all year-- that says to you Bylsma trusts Malkin?

As I said, maybe he's right. Malkin is a square peg when it comes to 'playing our game'. But, you've got 8.7M tied up in a player, maybe more a year and a half from now.

Either your coach trusts the guy or nothing good will come of it.
I gotta pick my battles here, KIRK. I don't think it's a huge issue he doesn't play him all game long. I just don't. I'd rather fight the other 10 battles I have w/ DB.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I gotta pick my battles here, KIRK. I don't think it's a huge issue he doesn't play him all game long. I just don't. I'd rather fight the other 10 battles I have w/ DB.
Thanks for the chuckle . . .

Honestly, Cole, it's the regular season. It doesn't matter. BUT, when Geno maybe gets a little more ES TOI than Dupuis in the playoffs, it might be #11 on the list.

I think you know where I'm going: Why have a 8.7M player your coach trusts little more than Dupuis at ES? Or, why have a coach that feels that way?

Old
02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
just to get out ahead of this: Sid had 0 PK time today, and about 1:40 more of ES time. I do think there's a lot to face-off zone determining ice time, though.
Sid took both penalties so yea, haha.

His d zone draws keep him out longer. He's the teams best player, hes going to play more.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote