HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
  #201
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Random Question: Anyone think that Pete DeBoer would coach a playoff series against the Pens the same way as he coached today's game against the Pens . . . or that Bylsma would coach it any differently?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
  #202
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Sid took both penalties so yea, haha.

His d zone draws keep him out longer. He's the teams best player, hes going to play more.
Geno is right there with him. And with Neal on his line, it's hard to say Geno's line isn't our best line. In a game like today, I can get Sid playing more because he was playing out of his mind. But KIRK's numbers seem to show that its an every game thing.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
  #203
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Seriously Kirk, we're whining about Makkins TOI after today's game?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  #204
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Sid took both penalties so yea, haha.

His d zone draws keep him out longer. He's the teams best player, hes going to play more.
Then I'm not sure how you could pay Malkin the same.

And, even if what you said doesn't matter, I don't see how you could pay Malkin the same when the coach sees them as 1/2 rather than 1A/1B.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  #205
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
I didn't want to miss this one, but I had to work. Sounds as though some youngins were impressive.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  #206
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I gave up on the powerplay. If they simplify it, it will be gold. We just force the puck to our stars and then stand around and watch 'em. Then the stars turn around and try to magically pass through 3 guys.

But I feel for Letang. People want him to just put his head down and shoot like Sarge did, but it doesn't come easy. You are staring at Neal, Sid, and Geno.... what would you do? I'd always pass the puck because who can feel worthy shooting in that regard?

And just food for thought.. could you imagine Shea Weber firing canons from that point spot? Ohhhhhhhh only in NHL 13.
Hesitation is a point-mans Kryptonite.

+ Sid - Obvious is obvious, started off slow.

+ Bortuzzo - "First goal as a Pen" Showed some nice wheels going around the net and pass up to, Kunitz.

+ Boychuk - showed very good signs on both top lines for his first game as a Penguin. 12:00 of playing time with 1 shot plus 3 hits.

+ Sutter - "First goal as Pen" Now maybe the offense will flow a bit more from the 3rd line now that he has gotten one.

+ Fleury - At times he was still his usual self but how can you not have him as a plus giving up one goal.

Overall great game with a slow start and a PP that still needs work.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:20 PM
  #207
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Seriously Kirk, we're whining about Makkins TOI after today's game?
Would you have preferred that I do it before waiting until 8 games into the season? Would you have said then 'it's only a game or two'? Yes, I think YOU would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Geno is right there with him. And with Neal on his line, it's hard to say Geno's line isn't our best line. In a game like today, I can get Sid playing more because he was playing out of his mind. But KIRK's numbers seem to show that its an every game thing.
And, THAT is my point. Is there ANY question who's been better against the Rangers this year. What's the kool-aid drinkers excuse for TOI for those two games?

I noticed it earlier. I wanted to see if it was an aberration or a trend. It's a trend. Hey, Malkin is #2 again in Bylsma's eyes. I hope it doesn't come back to bite the team in the *** when it matters.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
  #208
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
Did we lose today?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  #209
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I didn't want to miss this one, but I had to work. Sounds as though some youngins were impressive.
Despres was very, very encouraging. He was going toe to toe physically with Clarkson and won more than he lost. Showed a real bit of snarl and physicality today.

Bortuzzo was like Despres a few games ago. Had a few iffy minutes, but really showed you the type of things you won't see from an Engo or a Lovejoy.

Despres playing now is the type of thing that's going to make you happy in April. Bortuzzo playing now might become the same thing (although I think when Nisky comes back, he goes to the bench before Engo . . . unless there's a move).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
  #210
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Did we lose today?
I remember a lot of people asking that same question late March, early April last year.

EDIT: Seriously, when did the standard become 'make the playoffs'?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
  #211
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 72,490
vCash: 50
Bortuzzo HAS to play ahead of Lovejoy from now on. Just HAS to.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
  #212
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Despres was very, very encouraging. He was going toe to toe physically with Clarkson and won more than he lost. Showed a real bit of snarl and physicality today.

Bortuzzo was like Despres a few games ago. Had a few iffy minutes, but really showed you the type of things you won't see from an Engo or a Lovejoy.

Despres playing now is the type of thing that's going to make you happy in April. Bortuzzo playing now might become the same thing (although I think when Nisky comes back, he goes to the bench before Engo . . . unless there's a move).
I'm torn. Despres got over 18 minutes of Ice Time today (5seconds total on the PK! and Bort got 0 on the PK, really riding those top 4 PK D). He's looked great even with a heavier workload (remember he got something around 12 minutes in his first 3 games). When Niskanen comes back, I really don't want to see Despres minutes get chopped. He's only going to continue to grow if they continue to trust him in more and more situations.

If the PP is still struggling when Nisky comes back, maybe try him there over Letang, and if he doesn't make it better, Niskanen should be the one to go (he was only getting ~18 minutes a game when he was playing, clearly 58, 7, and 44 are their horses this year).

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:31 PM
  #213
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I remember a lot of people asking that same question late March, early April last year.

EDIT: Seriously, when did the standard become 'make the playoffs'?
nah, all I care about is winning in the playoffs, and this isn't directed AT you. Just a lot of snark today from a lot of people. Beat a divisional rival 5-1, Sid was flying, Boychuk looked like an NHL player, Despres and Bortuzzo looked good+, Paul Martin is Paul Martin... there should be more enjoyment, until they lay a stinker vs. the Caps tomorrow.


Last edited by IcedCapp: 02-02-2013 at 06:36 PM.
IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
  #214
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm torn. Despres got over 18 minutes of Ice Time today (5seconds total on the PK! and Bort got 0 on the PK, really riding those top 4 PK D). He's looked great even with a heavier workload (remember he got something around 12 minutes in his first 3 games). When Niskanen comes back, I really don't want to see Despres minutes get chopped. He's only going to continue to grow if they continue to trust him in more and more situations.

If the PP is still struggling when Nisky comes back, maybe try him there over Letang, and if he doesn't make it better, Niskanen should be the one to go (he was only getting ~18 minutes a game when he was playing, clearly 58, 7, and 44 are their horses this year).
What's sad is that, up 4-1, there was NO harm in trying Despres instead of Letang and just running the rest of the top PP unit in the third. That would have been a time to trust Despres.

But, as I've been arguing elsewhere, there are people Bylsma relies on because he has no choice and then there are people he trusts. I'm not sure that Despres, like some others at all levels of talent, falls into the second category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
nah, all I care about is winning in the playoffs, and this isn't directed AT you. Just a lot of snark today from a lot of people. Beat a divisional rival 5-1, Sid was flying, Boychuk looked like and NHL player, Despres and Bortuzzo looked good+, Paul Martin is Paul Martin... there should be more enjoyment, until they lay a stinker vs. the Caps tomorrow.
We're on the same page. FYI, when you read any negative comment from me about the coaching (system, bench management, etc), note that it's done with the playoffs in mind far more than the result of a specific regular season game.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:33 PM
  #215
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Boychuk was a pleasant surprise. I hate getting pumped over a waiver pick up, but I still question how he was even waived. He looks like an NHL player.

He might be some glue to that 2nd line. He exits the zone so damn quick. Once he gels a bit and knows where Geno goes... he could be a steal.
It's certainly a different situation than the average waiver wire pickup. He actually has 1st round pedigree, and it sounds like Carolina was really wishing that nobody was going to pick him up.

We'll see, but I liked what I saw from him today. I just wish he'd get a shot with Crosby too just to gauge who he has the best chemistry with. Malkin has Neal, and Crosby has... Dupuis? Kunitz just isn't fairing very well at this point, despite what his stat line reads today.

It would be awesome though if Boychuk could become one part of the winger equation we've been trying to solve. That would make the trade deadline a lot easier on Shero.

Boychuk - Crosby - X
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Not too bad if you ask me. What would be even better is if Boychuk worked out AND Shero still got 2 more wingers...

Boychuk - Crosby - X
X - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Cooke

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:36 PM
  #216
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What's sad is that, up 4-1, there was NO harm in trying Despres instead of Letang and just running the rest of the top PP unit in the third. That would have been a time to trust Despres.

But, as I've been arguing elsewhere, there are people Bylsma relies on because he has no choice and then there are people he trusts. I'm not sure that Despres, like some others at all levels of talent, falls into the second category.
I've said it before, recently, so I don't want to be a broken record, but I'd like to keep Letang on the PP for his RHS. Just stop having him be the QB, which is where he struggles. They put Letang/Martin out there at the end, I mean, I think that's a start, but I would have tried Despres instead of Martin, simply because Despres has a better shot.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:36 PM
  #217
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,440
vCash: 500


great photo..

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
  #218
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
not a good time for Nisky to be missing ice.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  #219
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
It's certainly a different situation than the average waiver wire pickup. He actually has 1st round pedigree, and it sounds like Carolina was really wishing that nobody was going to pick him up.

We'll see, but I liked what I saw from him today. I just wish he'd get a shot with Crosby too just to gauge who he has the best chemistry with. Malkin has Neal, and Crosby has... Dupuis? Kunitz just isn't fairing very well at this point, despite what his stat line reads today.

It would be awesome though if Boychuk could become one part of the winger equation we've been trying to solve. That would make the trade deadline a lot easier on Shero.

Boychuk - Crosby - X
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Not too bad if you ask me. What would be even better is if Boychuk worked out AND Shero still got 2 more wingers...

Boychuk - Crosby - X
X - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Cooke
I think your 2nd lineup is a bit greedy, but it is the kind of depth recent cup winners have had.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
  #220
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
His d zone draws keep him out longer.
This. According to behindthenet, Sid has taken twice as many defensive zone draws as Geno. Geno has taken more offensive zone / neutral zone draws. That accounts for their differences in ES TOI. This should be fairly obvious from watching the games, and the raw numbers support it.

I honestly do no think there's anything DB could do to make KIRK happy. There will always be something he can find to complain about, even if it's something as trivial as Crosby getting an extra shift or two per game more than Geno.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:41 PM
  #221
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I think your 2nd lineup is a bit greedy, but it is the kind of depth recent cup winners have had.
It certainly wouldn't be easy to acquire, but it's not impossible either.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
  #222
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,784
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Unlike you, I'm a Penguins fan who thinks the team needs Malkin to win in the playoffs.

I appreciate that your have issues with reading-- like when I said not trusting Malkin is something that can come back to bite this team in the playoffs-- but spare me your ten year old snark.

Added to the ignore list . . . now, go drink the kool-aid and go play with the bunnies, skippy.
What Penguins' fan thinks we don't need Malkin to win in the playoffs?

What is there to complain about (outside of the PP) after a game like this, seriously. Go have fun.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  #223
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,295
vCash: 500
so about Boychuk, I'm sort of confused about what kind of player he is/supposed to be. The "scouting reports" we got on him made me think he was more of a shooter/perimeter guy - which is why I wanted him to go to Sid's line more than Geno's, since Neal is already that line's shooter - but he seemed to forecheck hard, had some grit and what not. Think this was him just playing hard in his first game with his new team, or what?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  #224
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,440
vCash: 500
Tough crowd around here.

Today was about as perfect as a win as you'll find, so I think it's best to just soak it up and enjoy it.

It's easy to be cynical and poke holes in everything, but honestly this was a textbook performance all around.


Last edited by cassius: 02-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
  #225
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And, THAT is my point. Is there ANY question who's been better against the Rangers this year. What's the kool-aid drinkers excuse for TOI for those two games?
Probably because we played the vast majority of both games with the lead? Seriously, this is common sense. It's the same reason why Kesler gets more TOI in games Vancouver is winning than the Sedins. He's on another tier defensively, much like Sid is above Geno.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.