HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Old
06-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
In fact it's nice to get a personal opinion thrown in here and there amongst all of the rigid, robotic profiling (which goes for every guide, not just HP...it's what makes Red Line's profiles appealing in a certain sense).
Agreed, really liked Red Line's approach in that sense. I think more draft guides should take that approach a little bit in terms of sure it's great to have that professional report and etc, but also having a honest/blunt quote from a scout/etc about that certain prospect is nice imo.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
I sent out an email to customers this morning. I also reset the download in our store. This should be all cleared up.

Contact me if you didn't get an email.
I did, thanks.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Draftman

Quote:
Do you actually know what Bob reads? What Craig Button reads? I doubt it. Ever spoken to either of them?
They may read many of the draft guides. They only quote the ISS, CSS and THN. I think that means something.

Draftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Runner77

vCash: 6007
Quote:
I sent out an email to customers this morning. I also reset the download in our store. This should be all cleared up.

Contact me if you didn't get an email.
I checked the new copy you sent and almost all of the flagged player name inconsistencies have been corrected. Nicely done.

Just one quick question before I print it again -- your email says that you're providing a low-res. version -- is the low res. only on the pictures or also on the text?

Thanks again for following up.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:25 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Purchased the HP Black Book last night and its certainly a lot of content for the money. My only real complaint is that I wish it was organized in order of the rankings rather than alphabetical, but I'm enjoying it.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Purchased the HP Black Book last night and its certainly a lot of content for the money. My only real complaint is that I wish it was organized in order of the rankings rather than alphabetical, but I'm enjoying it.
I agree thought the same thing when I went over my copy.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
grits207

Quote:
I definitely agree with this.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Probably the main reason why I've been sticking with the Draft Guide rather than the Black Book. The layout.

06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Agreed, really liked Red Line's approach in that sense. I think more draft guides should take that approach a little bit in terms of sure it's great to have that professional report and etc, but also having a honest/blunt quote from a scout/etc about that certain prospect is nice imo.
Ordered a hard copy of RLR. Was expecting a magazine. Instead of that, it's a stapled bundle of red sheets. The red background makes it a little difficult to read.

If you order RLR, better to go the PDF file route and print it yourself -- it'll be more legible.

More importantly, from a content standpoint, don't get fooled by the cost and relatively small number of pages. It's packed with information, very practical, RLR takes positions and is not afraid to do so. Information is presented in different ways and even manages to get some humor built-in. There are mock drafts and some uncanny lists that allow for greater practical perspective. Also like the team-by-team needs analysis and on which players they might lean.

Loved the writing style, it's crisp, to the point, barely any repetition. All player profiles conclude with the role a player is likely to assume, if they achieve their potential.

Nicely done, RLR.

Last edited by Runner77: 06-23-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old
06-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Habsfan18

Currently reading through the FC guide, and I will say this: It's in need of some serious proof reading. Because of the grammatical errors - and run on sentences - some of the reports just don't come across on the same level "professionally" as other guides such as ISS, McKeen's and Hockey Prospect.

Also, while there's good value for the price, many of the scouting reports come off as repetitive. How many times do we really need to read a phrase such as "he's always got his head on a swivel" or read about a players "edge work?" Too much focus is spent on players skating abilities in many cases.

Still though, good value for the price they charge.

I'm still waiting on my HP guide, but I still plan on reviewing the 3 guides I've purchased this year in more detail later in the week.

I know I may come across as a homer for Mckeen's, but I just absolutely love the work they do with their draft guides. Their scouting reports are extremely in depth and articulate, and to me, they're on another level completely. Those who read this years guide can see what I mean.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Runner77

If someone bought ISS, would like to read your pros and cons. I've gone farther than I ever have on guides before, so just want to know how much I've missed. Bought them all except for ISS. Thanks.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftman View Post
They may read many of the draft guides. They only quote the ISS, CSS and THN. I think that means something.
haven't seen either of them quote them in years but maybe I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I checked the new copy you sent and almost all of the flagged player name inconsistencies have been corrected. Nicely done.

Just one quick question before I print it again -- your email says that you're providing a low-res. version -- is the low res. only on the pictures or also on the text?

Thanks again for following up.
Pictures.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
I agree thought the same thing when I went over my copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
I definitely agree with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Probably the main reason why I've been sticking with the Draft Guide rather than the Black Book. The layout.
We got feedback from several sources including teams when I saw them at the draft last year that they simply wanted alphabetical.

We always try to make improvements and next year will be no different.

As always, appreciate the feedback and the support.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Ordered a hard copy of RLR. Was expecting a magazine. Instead of that, it's a stapled bundle of red sheets. The red background makes it a little difficult to read.

If you order RLR, better to go the PDF file route and print it yourself -- it'll be more legible.

More importantly, from a content standpoint, don't get fooled by the cost and relatively small number of pages. It's packed with information, very practical, RLR takes positions and is not afraid to do so. Information is presented in different ways and even manages to get some humor built-in. There are mock drafts and some uncanny lists that allow for greater practical perspective. Also like the team-by-team needs analysis and on which players they might lean.

Loved the writing style, it's crisp, to the point, barely any repetition. All player profiles conclude with the role a player is likely to assume, if they achieve their potential.

Nicely done, RLR.
We're no frills- you're paying for information gleaned from rinks all over NA & Europe.

The red paper is so that photocopying is more difficult (and the writing even less legible). It's been the M.O. since 1997 or 1998.

Appreciate the feedback.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Here are the ones that I noticed, even if I didn't finish reading all of the profiles yet:

4. Erroneous profile description: You may want to review Federik Gauthier's profile -- the text is about "Sissons", not Gauthier.

5. Player names in titles vs. texts: the player's name that appears in large letters on top of the profile is often not the name by which he is being referred to in the text portion of the profile.

Examples of this:

- Nikita Zadorov is referred to as "Teuvo Nikita" in the text of his profile.
- Ryan Hartman is referred as "Tomas Ryan"
- Curtis Lazar is referred to as "Tim Lazar"
- Morgan Klimchuck becomes "Dalton Morgan Klimchuk"
- Robert Hagg becomes "Martin Robert"
- Jonathan Diaby is referred to as "Anton What" in the opening sentence
- Jeremy Gregoire is spelled with an accent in the text ("Grégoire")
- Avery Peterson is referred to as "Petersen"
- Leon Draisatl is referred to as "Draisaitl"
- Nicholas Ritchie is referred to as "Nick"
- Brycen Martin is referred to as "Domi Martin"
I just read this post. I sincerely hope this isn't the case with the print version of the HP Guide. That would make it unreadable for me, and I would regret my purchase.

I should get it any day now, but I sure as heck hope these problems are fixed. I understand they have been corrected for digital purchasers, but what the hell would happen for those who bought a hard copy off amazon?

Old
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Draftman

[QUOTE=Mark Edwards;67862327]haven't seen either of them quote them in years but maybe I missed it.

Here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=424151

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=424696

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=425825

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9825

They will also have them on Tuesday night after McKenzie gives his final rankings. Please note they never discuss any of the other publications.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

[QUOTE=Draftman;67873491]
Quote:
haven't seen either of them quote them in years but maybe I missed it.

Here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=424151

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=424696

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=425825

and here:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9825

They will also have them on Tuesday night after McKenzie gives his final rankings. Please note they never discuss any of the other publications.

Don't see Bob or Craig mentioning them in those links. I'm well aware of TSN having their top 30 on the TSN site. I simply said that I haven't heard either of them mention ISS in years.

That's why I asked you if you have spoken to either of them.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I just read this post. I sincerely hope this isn't the case with the print version of the HP Guide. That would make it unreadable for me, and I would regret my purchase.

I should get it any day now, but I sure as heck hope these problems are fixed. I understand they have been corrected for digital purchasers, but what the hell would happen for those who bought a hard copy off amazon?
I have copies at home right now that are fine and have spoken to others who have ordered via amazon and their hard copies are fine.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Draftman

[QUOTE=Mark Edwards;67889179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftman View Post

Don't see Bob or Craig mentioning them in those links. I'm well aware of TSN having their top 30 on the TSN site. I simply said that I haven't heard either of them mention ISS in years.

That's why I asked you if you have spoken to either of them.
No I haven't spoken to them, I read what they put on TSN like everyone else.

If you look at the final rankings from McKenzie from last year they only have the rankings from CSS, ISS and THN. I would think they will have them again this year. We'll see tomorrow. It has been my belief that these are the most important draft sources for him as they are the only ones mentioned in his rankings. That is why (as I originally stated) they are the ones I think are the best. It was not to belittle Mckeens, FC, or HP. They are all fine publications. None however are ever put as a comparison in his rankings.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
I have copies at home right now that are fine and have spoken to others who have ordered via amazon and their hard copies are fine.
Got it today, and thankfully it's fine!

Old
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
hawksfan50

Well I hope nobody on the actual team scouting dept. relies on THN...simply criminal to put Madison Bowey at #44 and Dillon Heatherington at #45..they are both first rounder quality.. Most other sources put Bowey in the 20s and I think Heatheringto also gets to the late 20s on some rankings.. PERSONALLY I would put Bowey im the mid teens..McCoshen early 20s and Heatherington later 20s. .but I really think whoever drafts these 3 dmen will get great value...The hyped men in the top 15 could allactually bust or be just average NHLers...sp I think you have jisy as good a chance pf getting rewatfef by taking Bowey or McCoshen or Heatherington as you might by taking Jones,Nurse,Zadorov,or Ristolainen or Pulock...

As for pretty well all the ranking serbices telling us that not only is Fucale their top rated gpalie bit tjat he is the only pne who is ranked in their top 30...please let out the guffaws...The best goalie is in reality Tristan Jarry. .he is so good a prospect he should be top ten mayerial...Personally I have him 2nd on the BPA list..he wollbe that special a netminder talent..buy even if you think he will last into round 2, fpr THN to rank him
only#68 is again criminal or insane...Dod THN not watch him om the top prospects game? Did they not see his stellar stats? PERSONALLY I RANK JARRY #2 overall and I put Phillipe Desrosiers at #9 overall..that is how bright I think thrse two goalie kids's ability to stop pucks is..Fucale and his hype heap...forhet about it.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Sinurgy
Rebuilding

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/nhl-draft-guide

Quote:
PRINT VERSION Available on Amazon.com - $TBA (need final page count - COMING SOON!)
You might want to fix that.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Why would anyone on a NHL scouting staff "rely" on THN draft rankings? When your job consists of evaluating hockey talent for a living, you aren't "relying" on outside sources for much of anything other than satisfying curiosity.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 06-27-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Well I hope nobody on the actual team scouting dept. relies on THN...simply criminal to put Madison Bowey at #44 and Dillon Heatherington at #45..they are both first rounder quality.. Most other sources put Bowey in the 20s and I think Heatheringto also gets to the late 20s on some rankings.. PERSONALLY I would put Bowey im the mid teens..McCoshen early 20s and Heatherington later 20s. .but I really think whoever drafts these 3 dmen will get great value...The hyped men in the top 15 could allactually bust or be just average NHLers...sp I think you have jisy as good a chance pf getting rewatfef by taking Bowey or McCoshen or Heatherington as you might by taking Jones,Nurse,Zadorov,or Ristolainen or Pulock...

As for pretty well all the ranking serbices telling us that not only is Fucale their top rated gpalie bit tjat he is the only pne who is ranked in their top 30...please let out the guffaws...The best goalie is in reality Tristan Jarry. .he is so good a prospect he should be top ten mayerial...Personally I have him 2nd on the BPA list..he wollbe that special a netminder talent..buy even if you think he will last into round 2, fpr THN to rank him
only#68 is again criminal or insane...Dod THN not watch him om the top prospects game? Did they not see his stellar stats? PERSONALLY I RANK JARRY #2 overall and I put Phillipe Desrosiers at #9 overall..that is how bright I think thrse two goalie kids's ability to stop pucks is..Fucale and his hype heap...forhet about it.
How dare a draft publication not rate certain prospects as high as you do??? Criminal! Any scout who disagrees with the great hawksfan50 should be tarred and feathered.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Also, THN has to finalize and publish their rankings about 3 months before most other scouting services do. Let's cut them some slack.

Besides - it is what it is. A guide for the more casual hockey fan to familiarize himself with the names in play on draft day. To even suggest that an NHL team would actually "rely" on THN's rankings is absurd bordering on comical.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Haute Couturier

I wish RLR had a way to complete the entire order process online. It would be so much easier for fans. I appreciate all of their hard work/scouting they put into it and their honesty which is reflected by the fact that all NHL teams subscribe to them (that carries a ton of weight w/ me) but it wouldn't hurt to be a little more fan friendly.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote