HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Old
06-27-2013, 11:07 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
After paying for McKeen's, how long should it take until I get the PDF?
...never mind...probably in my junk mail folder...got a quick response from McKeens, so thx!

Last edited by mondo3: 06-27-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: reply
mondo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
so...which guide turned out to be closest to the actual draft order?

mondo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Just to be clear, rankings and mocks are 2 different things.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
A fair question. I didn't do a scientific analysis, but looking at the mock in Future Considerations and the rankings in McKeens and the HP Black Book, and concentrating on specific movers in the mid first round, I'd have to say McKeens came closest. They had Morin high at #10, Shinkaruk and Zykov low at 22 and 32. I wasn't a big fan of that guide otherwise though, covering fewer prospects and having no extras compared to the other guides.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Some of my favorite picks in regards to our ranking..

MacKinnon at 1 (went #1)
Monahan at 6 (went #6)
Shinkaruk at 24 (went #24)
Remi Elie at 45 (went #40)

All four of those we went against the popular opinion, and received heat for, but Elie was one that I was most happy with. A lot of people scoffed at us for believing Remi Elie was a sure fire top 50 player in this year's draft. He ended up going even higher than where we even had him.

We had 24 of our top 30 go in the first round

The 6 we had in the first who didn't go in the first were..
Bigras (32nd), Erne (33rd), Fucale (36th), Zykov (37th), Petan (43rd), Bowey (53rd)

Maybe the biggest shock I noticed was 42 of our top 47 ranked players were taken in the first 47 picks of the draft.

Only Madison Bowey, Olivier Bjorkstrand, Pavel Buchnevich, Dillon Heatherington and Artturk Lehkonen were ranked in our top 47 without going in the top 47.

One of which (Bowey) is a player I'm extremely confident will emerge as one of the steals of this draft.

Marko Dano, Connor Hurley, Gustav Olofsson, Tristan Jarry, Nick Sorensen were the 5 skaters taken in the top 47 who weren't in our top 47. The latest of those 5 was ranked 68th.

So although predicting the draft isn't our goal. It's pretty cool to look back and see the similarities with our list to this draft class. But ultimately our goal is to project who will be the best player at the next level.

As I told one of the players waiting to be picked. It doesn't matter if you go 25th or 205th, it all comes down to what you do after you're selected that counts.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
From @jaredbook (who is a staff writer at All Habs), who tweeted his research to the three guides he purchased in FC, HP and ISS.

Quote:
Did a very basic recap of @ScoutingService @FCHockey and @ISShockey rankings compared to where players got drafted.

.@FCHockey 24/top 30 drafted in 1st rd, 51/top 61 in first 2 rds and 72/top 91 in first 3 rds. 7 drafted in rds 1-3 not ranked.

.@ScoutingService: 24/top 30 drafted in 1st rd, 49/top 61 in first 2 rds and 73/top 91 in first 3 rds. Only 4 drafted in rds 1-3 not ranked.

.@ISShockey 21/top 30 drafted in 1st rd, 46/top 61 in first 2 rds and 70/top 91 in first 3 rds. 5 drafted in rds 1-3 not ranked.
I didn't do any of the research and can't speak on results from McKeens and Redline (since Jared only did the three), but I'd say good job to all on their draft guides this year!

Old
07-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Looking at The Hockey News' ranking (100 prospects):

-25/30 were correctly predicted to go first round (the ones that were wrong were Hagg who was ranked 12th and went 41st, Erne, Fucale, McCoshen, and de la Rose).
-Only 16/30 were correctly predicted to go in the 2nd round so 41/60 correctly predicted to go top 2 rounds The ones that were most off were Arnesson who was ranked 40th and went 60th, Bjorkstrand ranked 53rd and went 89th, Eric Roy ranked 54th and went 135th, Fasching ranked 56th and went 118th, and Kostalek ranked 59th going 114th.
-10/30 were correctly predicted to go in the 3rd round. The ones that were off the most in the 3rd were Wallmark/Sandberg/Etchegary/Harper who were undrafted, Wheaton who went 139th, Rafikov ranked 81st going 187th, Fitzgerald going 120th, Duphin going 39th ranked 66th, Subban going 115th,

Overall, not that bad but when you look closer to some of the rankings within each round then it gets bad. 14/30 from the first round were correctly predicted within three spots but that number is 10/25 when you take out the top 5. They predicted Barkov 6th and Ristolainen 22nd which I thought was strange especially with Barkov. 1/10 from 91-100 were correctly predicted to go in rounds 1-4.

The THN rankings have potential and are not that bad but the problem with them is that they come out too too early meaning that they aren't as accurate as they could be. They also waste pages 42-65 on features and a section on each team's needs/cap situation etc when those pages should really be devoted to making the actual player profiles bigger or more detailed than they are.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Tripod

a question for the masses:

I had THN Spring prospects book...until the girlfriend threw it out (mistakenly) before I read it all. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where Scott Laughton was ranked...and who was above him. I am wondering where he was ranked when compared to other players in his draft year. If you can PM me the info, that would be great.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

For those that didn't get the opportunity in time or want to get a jump on the 2014 NHL Draft, we have our 2013 NHL Draft Guide now on sale for $9.99.

Quote:
Missed Future Considerations’ 2013 NHL Draft Guide? Want to get a jumpstart on the 2014 NHL Draft? FC’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide is now on sale!

The draft is over, but the guide lives on! Pick up your DISCOUNTED copy of FC’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide to discover which prospects your team plucked in New Jersey on June 30th.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/on-sa...l-draft-guide/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:45 PM
carcajou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
For those that didn't get the opportunity in time or want to get a jump on the 2014 NHL Draft, we have our 2013 NHL Draft Guide now on sale for $9.99.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/on-sa...l-draft-guide/
I just bought it. I will get it via mail today? Thanks!

carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
I just bought it. I will get it via mail today? Thanks!
Should be in your inbox as we speak. If not, PM me.

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
carcajou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Should be in your inbox as we speak. If not, PM me.
Thanks. Great read!

carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Draftman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Some of my favorite picks in regards to our ranking..

MacKinnon at 1 (went #1)
Monahan at 6 (went #6)
Shinkaruk at 24 (went #24)
Remi Elie at 45 (went #40)

All four of those we went against the popular opinion, and received heat for, but Elie was one that I was most happy with. A lot of people scoffed at us for believing Remi Elie was a sure fire top 50 player in this year's draft. He ended up going even higher than where we even had him.

We had 24 of our top 30 go in the first round

The 6 we had in the first who didn't go in the first were..
Bigras (32nd), Erne (33rd), Fucale (36th), Zykov (37th), Petan (43rd), Bowey (53rd)

Maybe the biggest shock I noticed was 42 of our top 47 ranked players were taken in the first 47 picks of the draft.

Only Madison Bowey, Olivier Bjorkstrand, Pavel Buchnevich, Dillon Heatherington and Artturk Lehkonen were ranked in our top 47 without going in the top 47.

One of which (Bowey) is a player I'm extremely confident will emerge as one of the steals of this draft.

Marko Dano, Connor Hurley, Gustav Olofsson, Tristan Jarry, Nick Sorensen were the 5 skaters taken in the top 47 who weren't in our top 47. The latest of those 5 was ranked 68th.

So although predicting the draft isn't our goal. It's pretty cool to look back and see the similarities with our list to this draft class. But ultimately our goal is to project who will be the best player at the next level.

As I told one of the players waiting to be picked. It doesn't matter if you go 25th or 205th, it all comes down to what you do after you're selected that counts.
The problem I had with this year's rankings at HP was an obvious bias against goalies. They were all ranked 60 to 70 spots below were they should have been.

Draftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:02 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
The THN rankings have potential and are not that bad but the problem with them is that they come out too too early meaning that they aren't as accurate as they could be. They also waste pages 42-65 on features and a section on each team's needs/cap situation etc when those pages should really be devoted to making the actual player profiles bigger or more detailed than they are.
I don't think it's fair to assume a ranking is the same as a "prediction". E.g. they weren't necessarily predicting Barkov to go 6th, they may just be saying Barkov is the 6th best player from the draft and ranked him as such.

And as always, THN's rankings have to come out before the junior hockey season is even over, so they can't take the end of the CHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, U18's, etc into consideration...and those can have a huge effect on a player's stock.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote