HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Old
06-02-2013, 12:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
Thanks, it was a nice change to be able to add some of the info I gained from the combine, not only myself talking to the players but getting feedback from multiple teams on interviews. It's a very social setting with plenty of chances to catch up with scouts. I caught up with quite a few during the week as well before I attended the testing on Friday and Saturday .There were quite a few scouts I hadn't run into since Sochi because many headed east and west out of Ontario. I stayed in the OHL.

As an example about the combine, last year I was told that Teuvo Teravainen was less than impressive in his interviews (to be kind) but it was too late to adjust our ranking as we had already published. As you saw, he slid a bit on draft day.

We didn't make any huge adjustments in the rankings based on this past wek, but if you read through, you might be able to guess a few that were slightly altered.
I find this particular tidbit fascinating...

Hoping that Jones impressed the hell out of the Avalanche scouts and that he pulls on the Burgundy and Blue on June 30th

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Mark, have you decided on the final print prices through amazon?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-02-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I got the Black Book this morning, and it's pretty ridiculously detailed. I disagree with some rankings, but that's par for the course. So far so good.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Dunno whether to get the Black Book or FC's guide

Never bought a draft guide before but I think this year will be the first.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:

The good news about us being delayed this year, is I got to talk to a bunch of scouts this week about their player interviews. This means that for the first time ever we have incorporated combine week info into our book.
I was wondering Mark, will the combine stuff be in regular draft guide or ONLY black book?

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I was wondering Mark, will the combine stuff be in regular draft guide or ONLY black book?
Mark can tell you for sure, but likely just the Black Book.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I find this particular tidbit fascinating...

Hoping that Jones impressed the hell out of the Avalanche scouts and that he pulls on the Burgundy and Blue on June 30th
No bad feedback at all from any teams to me on Jones, Mackinnon or Drouin. No surprise to me I heard plenty of raves about Mackinnon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I got the Black Book this morning, and it's pretty ridiculously detailed. I disagree with some rankings, but that's par for the course. So far so good.

Feedback has been great. As always with our rankings, we just call em like we see em. Last year we were raked over the coals for having Maatta in the 20's. He ended up going much closer to our ranking than the "media" predictions.

Many folks judge the services on how many we get 'correct' out of the top 30. I won't be surprised if we have our lowest number ever this year. It doesn't bother me.

Last year after 15 pickss we had 14 of them in our top 15. We slid a bit in the 20 to 30's. It didn't bother me. I liked the guys we had ranked.

Lastly, thanks for your purchase. I do this as my full time job so I appreciate the support to offset our large travel costs. Going to places like Sochi is not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
We will include some for sure. It's template driven so we need to refit the Black Book content which is what takes so long.

Cropping photos and making sure they are at the proper resolution etc also takes many hours.

We are going as fast as we can to finish it up. I won't hazard a guess yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Mark, have you decided on the final print prices through amazon?
I'll confirm the Black Book price in a few hours. I needed to wait until Monday for business hours to talk to someone.

Won't know the NHL Guide for a few days yet. I apologize for the delay, as soon as I know I'll post it.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-05-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: merge
Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Tormentor

Has anyone picked up the new ISS quide? Has the quality or the format changed in any way with the new owner?

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

I can now confirm our 2013 NHL Draft Black Pricing for the PRINT version which will be available on amazon.com within 3-5 days. The book is 10x7 this year. I had to change the sizing due to the huge page count.

690 pages - 490,000 plus words $59.99 - I tried to keep it as affordable as possible. The main problem is that amazon is taking a huge percentage of that price.

A reminder that the PDF version is $39.99 minus 15% with our coupon for HF boards users.

I will post NHL Draft Guide pricing for amazon ASAP

I can say with confidence you won't see anything like it.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Just wanted to thank everyone that has picked up FC's 2013 NHL Draft Guide. The response has been amazing and I can't believe where some hockey fans are hiding! We've had subscriptions from Taiwan, Italy, Norway, Morocco, Australia and the Bahamas, just to name a few.

Hockey fans are truly global! Hope everyone here is enjoying their guide as well!

06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
mckeenshockey

Hi,

A quick note to let you know we will be releasing our McKeen's 2013 NHL Draft Guide this evening. We are really proud of our scouting profiles this season and feel we have taken it to a new level. We hope you agree.

We were thrilled with the contributions and insights from our new additions to staff this year, Joakim Grundberg (head scout - Modo) as director of european scouting, Justin Goldman (founder of The Goalie Guild), director of goalie scouting, Sean Lafortune (founder of thescout.ca), in the OHL among others. Our experienced and talented team of returning scouts were fantastic as always, working with publisher Iain Morrell and director of scouting David Burstyn (former NHL scout) to produce a thorough, quality Draft Guide.

It should be a lot of fun between now and the draft. Did I see Nashville is shopping their pick, along with Colorado and Edmonton?

Last edited by mckeenshockey: 06-03-2013 at 11:04 AM.
mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone that has picked up FC's 2013 NHL Draft Guide. The response has been amazing and I can't believe where some hockey fans are hiding! We've had subscriptions from Taiwan, Italy, Norway, Morocco, Australia and the Bahamas, just to name a few.

Hockey fans are truly global! Hope everyone here is enjoying their guide as well!
I see you were reading my tweets...

Old
06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Our 2013 NHL Black Book print version is now available.

Amazon moved faster than I expected. They even put it on sale.

LINK

Old
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

So if I purchase the downloadable Black Book today will all of the combine interview tidbits be included, or will that come at a later time?

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
So if I purchase the downloadable Black Book today will all of the combine interview tidbits be included, or will that come at a later time?
Everything combine related is already included. It's an instant download.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
I see you were reading my tweets...
You mean these ones?

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 20h

Love seeing our #NHLDraft book sales coming from everywhere. Recent sales from Los Angeles, Finland, Sweden, Texas, Montreal and Edmonton.

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 20h

Just checking a few other locations where people purchased from, New Jersey, Winnipeg, Red Deer Australia and Paris....Ontario. #BlackBook

That came out after my original one:

Aaron Vickers ‏@VickersFC 1 Jun

Also love the global love. Subscribers from the regular hockey world, but Japan, Australia and Norway are digging in, just to name a few!

First brew's on me in New Jersey!

That goes for whoever from HFBoards is hitting up the draft, too!

Last edited by Aaron Vickers: 06-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Aaron Vickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
mike14

I'm claiming credit for the australian orders of FC and the Black Book. Both are quality publications, congrats to both companies.

The black book is just incredibly detailed, and the sheer volumn of info, especially the reports from games, is amazing.

FCs draft guide looks great. I actually abused work resources by printing out and binfing the text only version, but the full colour looks great on my tablet.

Would highly recommend both publications

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:58 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'm claiming credit for the australian orders of FC and the Black Book. Both are quality publications, congrats to both companies.

The black book is just incredibly detailed, and the sheer volumn of info, especially the reports from games, is amazing.

FCs draft guide looks great. I actually abused work resources by printing out and binfing the text only version, but the full colour looks great on my tablet.

Thanks for your support and review Mike, It's greatly appreciated

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Has anyone picked up the new ISS quide? Has the quality or the format changed in any way with the new owner?
Same as every year. One disappointment, unlike prior years, they didn't have stats/info from the U18's tourney.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
mckeenshockey

We are very proud to release McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide.

It has been a memorable season with some remarkable performances. In the many years McKeen’s has been covering the NHL draft there have been few seasons we remember when the excitement has been higher about a draft class. The top three franchise picks in a dead heat, and a deep draft well into the second round, has created some real excitement. It should be an interesting day in New Jersey on June 30th.

We have e-mailed everyone who has purchased it already. Let us know if you do not receive yours. The honourable mentions and sleepers will be released later this week and we will e-mail the completely updated guide to purchasers at that time.

mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post

Thanks. Appreciate the nice comments.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Dunno whether to get the Black Book or FC's guide

Never bought a draft guide before but I think this year will be the first.
I got both. If I were to make a recommendation between the two, I'd go with the Future Considerations, just for the organization. You get their rankings, then player descriptions in order of rankings, with stats, strengths and weaknesses and upside potential, then extras like sleepers and 2014 prospects.

The Black Book PDF has two versions organized differently. The Ipad version starts with the rankings as it should, but then gives you player descriptions in alphabetical order. No stats, mind you, no explicit upside target. It does have oodles of game reports, but the black book reads like an encyclopedia. If you look at some unknown player's description and want to know where he's ranked, good luck finding out. The other version of the Black Book (you get both) starts with an alphabetical listing of prospects with hyperlinks to their player descriptions, then the player rankings starting on page 44, then the player descriptions, then game reports.

Hockey Prospect also publishes a draft guide that has less meat than the Black Book. I got the HP draft guide last year and it was a better draft guide than the Black Book is. Starts with rankings, then player descriptions (including current year stats) in the order of ranking, not in alphabetical order. Then extras like player interviews, following year prospects. I got the Black Book because I didn't want to wait for the draft guide to come out and the price differential was small ($34 for the Black Book after 15% discount vs. $22 for the Draft Guide). I thought the Black Book was an expanded version of the Draft Guide but they're very different in organization.

The Black Book will be a useful reference for me if I want to research draft picks after they are picked by my team, but not very good for projecting who I would like my team to draft. Especially in the later rounds, the Black Book will probably have reports on prospects missed by the Future Considerations guide. (And vice versa - the FC guide had a feature on Ruslan Pedan as a potential sleeper, completely missing in the Black Book. But again, probably an anamoly, as the Black Book has almost twice as many 2013 prospect profiles as the FC guide. Also, to be fair, After the top 125, the FC prospect descriptions fit in one sentence each, whereas the Black Book descriptions run at least a full paragraph for all of their almost 400 2013 prospect summaries). But next year, if I get a Hockey Prospect offering, it will be the draft guide.

Menwithouthat tricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

I purchased both Mckeen's and HP Black Book. My god, am I ever impressed with the black book. I've tried all different guides each year and like to try different ones.

BY FAR, my favourite part of the black book was the game scouting reports that you can read throughout the year. That's like a whole scouting guide itself for me. It's neat to see game to game viewings on certain players.

Anyways if the price stays the same and we get the 15% discount on hf, it will be a yearly purchase without a doubt.

Great job Mark!

Old
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Habsfan18

Regarding post 147:

I'm the same way when it comes to HP. The regular draft guide fornat is more what I'm after. I can see why some would prefer the black book though. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-05-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm the same way when it comes to HP. The regular draft guide fornat is more what I'm after. I can see why some would prefer the black book though. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
For sure, I was VERY hesitant on purchasing it because I enjoy the regular draft guide format myself as well. The game reports changed my opinion.

Either way, it's great as customers to have such various choices from all these good companies.