HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Old
06-03-2013, 11:50 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I purchased both Mckeen's and HP Black Book. My god, am I ever impressed with the black book. I've tried all different guides each year and like to try different ones.

BY FAR, my favourite part of the black book was the game scouting reports that you can read throughout the year. That's like a whole scouting guide itself for me. It's neat to see game to game viewings on certain players.

Anyways if the price stays the same and we get the 15% discount on hf, it will be a yearly purchase without a doubt.

Great job Mark!
Thanks to Sonny21 for the review. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. We were able to get the template to an NHL style book for scouting from an NHL Scout (you can see part of it in MarkEdwardsHP 's twitter background photo) and it's played a part in helping us keep everything neat and detailed to transfer from paper to document form and ultimately transferred to the Black Book.

and to Menwithouthat tricks, thank you for your review. All the feedback helps us improve our product as it develops. The most requested change from last year's Black Book for this year's was to put the players in alphabetical order. This came not only from fans but clients of our service and was ultimately a logical move and was incorporated into this year's Black Book. I understand your point and it's something we'll need to take into consideration, but the change was initially due to the amount of requests we recieved. The format for this year's draft guide however will be the same as it always has been.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Thanks to Sonny21 for the review. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. We were able to get the template to an NHL style book for scouting from an NHL Scout (you can see part of it in MarkEdwardsHP 's twitter background photo) and it's played a part in helping us keep everything neat and detailed to transfer from paper to document form and ultimately transferred to the Black Book.

and to Menwithouthat tricks, thank you for your review. All the feedback helps us improve our product as it develops. The most requested change from last year's Black Book for this year's was to put the players in alphabetical order. This came not only from fans but clients of our service and was ultimately a logical move and was incorporated into this year's Black Book. I understand your point and it's something we'll need to take into consideration, but the change was initially due to the amount of requests we recieved. The format for this year's draft guide however will be the same as it always has been.
I would leave the alphabetical order intact but maybe link the top 210 hp ranked players to they're scouting reports if you click on them. It wouldn't take much work since you already do it for all the prospects listed in alphabetical order.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:37 AM
PETRYDISH

As usual, I'm impressed with Mckeens draft guide. I feel I should try something else just for comparison sake one year but Mckeens gives me everything I need. Great detailed write ups but at the same time to the point.

PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:15 AM
mckeenshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
As usual, I'm impressed with Mckeens draft guide. I feel I should try something else just for comparison sake one year but Mckeens gives me everything I need. Great detailed write ups but at the same time to the point.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeenshockey View Post
We are very proud to release McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide.
I guess i need a clarification.

"Special Offer until July 1st, 2013 – McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide (PDF) PLUS a free one month subscription to the McKeen’s Draft Guide Digital Edition"

Is the McKeen’s Draft Guide Digital Edition supposed to be different from the McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide (PDF) ? isn't the latter a 'digital' format as well?

Thanks.

P.S. reading at the bottom, i guess 'digital edition' means access to the site contents for a month, correct me if i'm wrong (lol, i see you had replied in the meantime.. thx!)

Last edited by helicecopter: 06-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:49 AM
mckeenshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
I guess i need a clarification.

"Special Offer until July 1st, 2013 – McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide (PDF) PLUS a free one month subscription to the McKeen’s Draft Guide Digital Edition"

Is the McKeen’s Draft Guide Digital Edition supposed to be different from the McKeen’s 2013 NHL Draft Guide (PDF) ? isn't the latter a 'digital' format as well?

Thanks.
The website subscription to www.mckeenshockey.com is what we consider the digital edition, although you are correct, the PDF is a digital format as well. The website has lots of extras, and the database will continue to grow. I hope everyone checks it out with the free month with purchase of the Draft Guide.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Kman277

HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY McKeens DRAFT PREVIEW

I still have not received my email for McKeens Draft Preview. I purchased the 3 month subscription plus the Draft Preview a couple months ago. Have all of them been sent out? Or is there a problem If I have not received it yet?

Kman277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
mckeenshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman277 View Post
I still have not received my email for McKeens Draft Preview. I purchased the 3 month subscription plus the Draft Preview a couple months ago. Have all of them been sent out? Or is there a problem If I have not received it yet?
We have sent out the Guide to purchasers. The best thing to do is send an e-mail to info@mckeenshockey.com and we will send it right away. Check your spam filter as well. I am often surprised at what ends up there.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
bloggerfanthe*

Will Mckeen's be available at stores to purchase?

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Will Mckeen's be available at stores to purchase?
Digital only.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
bloggerfanthe*

^^thanks^^

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I purchased both Mckeen's and HP Black Book. My god, am I ever impressed with the black book. I've tried all different guides each year and like to try different ones.

BY FAR, my favourite part of the black book was the game scouting reports that you can read throughout the year. That's like a whole scouting guide itself for me. It's neat to see game to game viewings on certain players.

Anyways if the price stays the same and we get the 15% discount on hf, it will be a yearly purchase without a doubt.

Great job Mark!
I appreciate the kind words. Glad you like it. If things continue today as they have in the first 3 days of sales, we will surpass last years sales numbers of both books in just 4 days.

Obviously we are thrilled with the feedback. Last years sales were our best to date, so to be this far ahead of the pace in just 3 plus days is very gratifying.

Our whole staff felt we improved on an already great product from last year. The feedback so far via email, tweets, on this board, txts and even via phone would lead us to believe we were correct.

Thanks again for supporting us with your purchase.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

The Hockey News Draft Preview has used some absolutely ridiculous quotes from anonomous "scouts" lately...I'd like to find a scout to attach his name to this quote, regarding Pulock:

"He might be as good now as he's ever going to be."

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
The Hockey News Draft Preview has used some absolutely ridiculous quotes from anonomous "scouts" lately...I'd like to find a scout to attach his name to this quote, regarding Pulock:

"He might be as good now as he's ever going to be."
Not sure why you think that's so absurd...? Opinions are all over the place on Pulock. Wouldn't shock me at all if a scout felt like that about him.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Kman277

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeenshockey View Post
We have sent out the Guide to purchasers. The best thing to do is send an e-mail to info@mckeenshockey.com and we will send it right away. Check your spam filter as well. I am often surprised at what ends up there.
I emailed the customer service email you gave me and I got a reply back with in 1 hour and they sent me my Draft Preview and apologized for the inconvenience. Thank you for your help. Can't wait to read it!

Kman277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
sagz
Rookie User

Just got Hockey Prospect's Black Book and QMJHL guide on Monday ... so much quality reading, I was up till 1:30 a.m. poring over each.

Speaking as a junior hockey blogger, the work that Mark Edwards, Jerome Berube, Simon Larouche, Ryan Yessie and their cohorts do is invaluable. When I'm at the combine or the world junior (when it's in Canada), you see Mark having friendly chats with the NHL scouts, so you know they have high regard for his opinion. I see them out at rinks all year.

Another plus is that the black book includes the game reports. It's like showing your work on a math test. So it's not only a ranking but it's also a snapshot of an entire season. They also go in-depth on the 2014 and even '15 classes, so you can get ahead of the game.

Best,

Neate Sager
Yahoo! Canada Sports

Last edited by sagz: 06-04-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
sagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Runner77

Can someone please provide links to purchase the FC and ISS hard copies? Is Amazon the best bet?

Those who have ordered hard copies, what has been your experience in terms of shipping delays.

Also, I take it there are no FC or ISS promo codes, correct?

Waiting on an answer to order both.

Thanks.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Can someone please provide links to purchase the FC and ISS hard copies? Is Amazon the best bet?

Those who have ordered hard copies, what has been your experience in terms of shipping delays.

Also, I take it there are no FC or ISS promo codes, correct?

Waiting on an answer to order both.

Thanks.
All the links are in the original post of the thread.

FC is digital only.

06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
All the links are in the original post of the thread.

FC is digital only.
Thanks very much.

Are there two versions of the Black Book? One is a comprehensive encyclopedia-type book and the other a draft guide, or did I misunderstand?

Old
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I'm stuck in a rut. I had set myself a budget of around £30 but the Black Book from HP comes in at £39.53 on amazon.co.uk. I'll probably bite the bullet but can someone sell it to me in a quick review as it's the first draft book I'll have bought.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Thanks very much.

Are there two versions of the Black Book? One is a comprehensive encyclopedia-type book and the other a draft guide, or did I misunderstand?
It does come with two versions, one being ipad friendly and the other normal.

If you want the the traditional draft guides where it goes by rankings and more reader friendly then you can't go wrong with FC draft guide, HP draft guide or Mckeen's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'm stuck in a rut. I had set myself a budget of around £30 but the Black Book from HP comes in at £39.53 on amazon.co.uk. I'll probably bite the bullet but can someone sell it to me in a quick review as it's the first draft book I'll have bought.
Well it really depends really. For a first time draft guide buyer maybe you'll enjoy the traditional rankings with scouting report and simply cleaner and easier to follow if you want to follow on draft day or just quick scouting on top x ranked players.

The black book is great if your looking for in dept info along with seeing scouting reports game to game viewing from various games/prospects throughout the calender year which is really a scouting guide in itself.

So yeah it comes back to what you really looking to get from one of these guides, you really can't go wrong with any one of them. I am not just saying that either, as I've tried all of them except ISS.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Runner77

Thanks for the feedback, Sonny.

Looking for additional feedback on ISS and Hockey Prospect Draft Guide. How do both of these compare to McKeens and FC?

Old
06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Runner77

Have ordered FC and would only have one suggestion.

FC sent a print-friendly version, which I printed on both sides of the page. Only thing I didn't like, is that their pages are not numbered on the print version. If people are going to print 137 pages, it would be a good idea to have them.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Runner77

Have ordered McKeens. It's taking forever for me to print, since they don't provide a print-friendly version.

Printing a lot of useless graphics and dark edges that are gobbling up my printer ink. This could be avoided.

I'm not a fan of PDF files. However, if you're not going to provide a hard copy version of your content, then, in the least, please facilitate the task of those who will be printing your material.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Have ordered FC and would only have one suggestion.

FC sent a print-friendly version, which I printed on both sides of the page. Only thing I didn't like, is that their pages are not numbered on the print version. If people are going to print 137 pages, it would be a good idea to have them.
Noted! Thanks for subscribing!