HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Joe Thornton versus Peter Forsberg

View Poll Results: Pick
Forsberg career + Peak 102 62.96%
Forsberg peak + Thornton career 23 14.20%
Forsberg career + Thornton peak 7 4.32%
Thornton career + peak 14 8.64%
Thornton peak + Forsberg career 3 1.85%
Thornton career + Forsberg peak 13 8.02%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Forsberg career + peak

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
tombombadil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudie View Post
none mentioned there differences in ppg:

regular season

Forsberg 1.25
Thornton 1.01

playoffs

Forsberg 1.13
Thornton 0.76
please don't forget that Thornton's numbers come more from the post-lockout, new-rules, slightly higher-scoring era. Pete's came about 90% from the hardest scoring era in modern hockey. He is in the top 10 in the alltime points/game list, and let's also not forget that he garnered a lot of Selke votes, hit people out of their skates, and got it done in the crunch to a legendary degree.

This isn't close. I could argue, due to health, that Thornton's career is as good, even including playoffs.. but he is simply a notch below in terms of peak ability.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

I'm quite sure Joe would've had a Cup by now if he too had the likes of Sakic, Roy, and all of the rest on his team.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
vanwest

Forsberg. They're close in the regular season but Forsberg raised his game in the playoffs. I also think Forsberg brought something extra in terms of physical play. Too bad his career was cut short. He was a joy to watch.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I'm quite sure Joe would've had a Cup by now if he too had the likes of Sakic, Roy, and all of the rest on his team.
Yeah, no ****.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
please don't forget that Thornton's numbers come more from the post-lockout, new-rules, slightly higher-scoring era. Pete's came about 90% from the hardest scoring era in modern hockey. He is in the top 10 in the alltime points/game list, and let's also not forget that he garnered a lot of Selke votes, hit people out of their skates, and got it done in the crunch to a legendary degree.

This isn't close. I could argue, due to health, that Thornton's career is as good, even including playoffs.. but he is simply a notch below in terms of peak ability.
A point which many people fail to see. He had defensive stalwarts like Chelios, Carbonneau, etc. shadowing him constantly (and by shadowing, I mean hacking, slashing, holding, etc. without fear of penalty) during the playoffs and he still scored.

He is quite simply the most complete player I've ever seen.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
ashenhigh

I've seen them both play a lot, the answer is Forsberg. Every time Floppa hit the ice i was scared. He could score, set up goals, throw big hits, and make epic dives and get penalties called against your team. Plus in the playoffs Forsberg was such a force, especially compared to Thornton. When you take post-season into account it's by far Forsberg.

Last edited by ashenhigh: 02-21-2013 at 06:36 PM.
ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

I tend to agree with you on all fronts here.

I'm a huge career guy though so it will be very interesting to see how much of the gap, Thorton will be able to close on that front.

The peak will be Forsbergs plain and simple.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
Forsberg was the better player, I don't know anyone that would contest that.

At this point, Forsberg has had the better career too. His peak was higher, and has a lot more hardware to go with it.

Having said that, Thornton still has some miles left to go. He may be past his prime but he is still a star in this league. A couple deeps playoff runs could change who had a better career in the end.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Forsberg.

Just unbelievably dominant with his size and skill.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:

Truly unremarkable when your never on the ice for a full season

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
doubtful, Sidney Crosby is already a better version of Forsberg.
Crosby in No way shape or form is anything like Forsberg... And I would argue that Forsberg was a much more dominant player in his prime than Crosby is. Only thing Crosby may be as good at or slightly better is scoring goals. Peter has just as good vision, better play making and passing, better defense and more physical. If any comparison is to be made of Forsberg it's a mini Lindros.

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
A point which many people fail to see. He had defensive stalwarts like Chelios, Carbonneau, etc. shadowing him constantly (and by shadowing, I mean hacking, slashing, holding, etc. without fear of penalty) during the playoffs and he still scored.

He is quite simply the most complete player I've ever seen
watch more hockey

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Crosby in No way shape or form is anything like Forsberg... And I would argue that Forsberg was a much more dominant player in his prime than Crosby is. Only thing Crosby may be as good at or slightly better is scoring goals. Peter has just as good vision, better play making and passing, better defense and more physical. If any comparison is to be made of Forsberg it's a mini Lindros.
Literally nothing you said in this post is true.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:50 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Literally nothing you said in this post is true.
Well he said that Crosby is in no way the same kind of player as Forsberg is, so he got something right.

Also, i think Forsberg had better vision on ice. Not by a lot but he still did. But Crosby has better offensive awareness and has more offensive tools in his arsenal and therefore is a bit more dangerous in offensive end.

Forsberg was more physical tough. Both are/were very hard to knock off the puck but i think Crosby takes the cake there. On their absolute peak i would say they were close in value but different in style.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well he said that Crosby is in no way the same kind of player as Forsberg is, so he got something right.

Also, i think Forsberg had better vision on ice. Not by a lot but he still did. But Crosby has better offensive awareness and has more offensive tools in his arsenal and therefore is a bit more dangerous in offensive end.

Forsberg was more physical tough. Both are/were very hard to knock off the puck but i think Crosby takes the cake there. On their absolute peak i would say they were close in value but different in style.
Well he actually got that wrong.

You think forsberg had better vision on ice. You'd be wrong. You have nothing to substantiate this claim. If it is because he made some crazy loopy loop pass one time across ice or did a lot of no look passes then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what vision is. You also shortly after say crosby has better offensive awareness. hmmm

Also, more physical tough.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Dosing

Ask any red wing fan who he rather have playing his team in the playoffs, forsberg who toyed with a roster filled with HOFers, crosby who got shutdown by one redwing=zetterberg, or joe thornton lol

So many people calling him overrated only shows how much ignorance and jealousy there is toward him, i wonder how many here have actually seen him play

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:43 AM
RorschachWJK

Forsberg was a great player but he is not close to Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr levels even though several hardcore fanboys apparently think so. Games are not dominated from the injury reserve or retirement golf courses. Therefore, Forsberg for peak but Thornton for the career.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Ask any red wing fan who he rather have playing his team in the playoffs, forsberg who toyed with a roster filled with HOFers, crosby who got shutdown by one redwing=zetterberg, or joe thornton lol

So many people calling him overrated only shows how much ignorance and jealousy there is toward him, i wonder how many here have actually seen him play
Bingo. People can talk all they want about how Forsberg had great teammates, but whenever the Wings and Avs played in the playoffs he was the player that scared me. The 01-02 west finals basically turned into the Forsberg vs. Fedorov show.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Forsberg for everything

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
ahmon

I know who I want for the playoffs.

And with that said, Thornton has been better over the last few years. Hes becoming a strong 2-way center.

But forsberg simply was a playoff warrior that controlled the pace of the game.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote