Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Stone Cold Steve Austin says young guys aren't being taught art of wrestling

02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
M.C.G. 31
vCash: 233
Stone Cold Steve Austin says young guys aren't being taught art of wrestling

WWE Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin took a hard look at the developmental of today's WWE stars in comments published by Fighting Spirit Magazine.

Austin, who hosted WWE's Tough Enough competition show in 2011, said he feels wrestlers have lost the art of calling matches in the ring and being able to think on their feet.

"Today's guys are very impressionable, and don't really call it in the ring anymore," Austin said. "They have some basics, but they've always been told exactly what to do before they go out there. Back in the day, we were calling it all in the ring; we didn't have anything to be nervous about, because we didn't have to remember anything."
Read more: http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/W...le_68373.shtml

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
vCash: 500
I would agree with that, there's really no psychology in matches today, its more then likely if a match stinks, it will stink to the end because the newer wrestlers won't change the match mid stream.

I remember reading Hart's book and Foley's book and they'd get together to get the ending, plan a few high spots and then go out and improv the rest, now its different and to an extent its forced.

Its the same with interviews and mic works. It used to be you'd be told what to talk about and go out and improvise it, now your given a script.

Of course on occassions it would lead to disaster in the old days.

You know that I know that you're half the man that I am, but I have half the brain that you have . . . .

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
WWE isnt about the in-ring product anymore

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post

Of course on occassions it would lead to disaster in the old days.

You say disaster, I say awesomeness. I've always liked seeing them mess up. Humor aside, it added to the reality of the whole thing. Everybody slips up once in a while, so too should the wrestlers we watch.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Lou's Secret Sauce
vCash: 835
This is what sets CM Punk apart from the others, at least in my opinion. Yeah, his promos are the best around, and he's a good worker, but his ring psychology is sublime. His match against Orton at WM 27 had brilliant wrestling psychology, and I know his big match at MitB 2011 was completely improvised up until the McMahon run-in.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Piper Mark
Last year we were able to attend two shows in one weekend. Friday night in one city, Saturday night in another not too far away. The order of matches varied a bit, but the matches played out identically. There was so little variance, my kids knew what was coming next. Pitiful, really.

Piper Mark is offline   Reply With Quote