HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Nonis: PLEASE GET US A #1 CENTER

Old
02-04-2013, 02:35 AM
rdawg1234

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I'd be ok with Draftng that coveted 1C - giving him 2 years to develop. Were not winning a stanley cup next year lets not kid ourselves.

We have problems throughout the roster that far exceed a 1C - If we traded for a !C we'd still have questionable Defence + Questionable D-Core. And chances are we'd have lost whatever Secondary Scoring we've been able to muster up - I don't even want to think about the potential draft picks involved in Trading for a 1C - what 1C's would ever be available anyway?

Regardless The days of Trading Kadri/Frattin/Gardner/Reilly/1sts are over. That was the last 15 years. Look where we are?
we could draft that #1C with a bottom 10 finish this year.

if we go the trade route, You'd be looking at targeting Duchene(due to Colorado's surplus of top 6 Centres and wingers, but lack of D, so you could do Gardiner+1st+ whatever)
or Getzlaf, or a mid-level guy like Stastny(but I'd say you might as well go the extra mile to get duchene). All are decent options but you'd lose:
1st+Gardiner most likely+ say Kulemin+ prospect.

Free agency you have the small chance of getz, but he may very well resign, in fact I'd doubt they both get to free agency, one will be traded if they dont resign.

So yes, I'd prefer a low finish this year, but I'm not convinced we will get that finish we need, we have played some solid hockey and some bad hockey so far this year, very inconsistent, not bottom 5 bad at all, but maybe bottom 10 bad.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Isn't Getzlaf's wife from Anaheim and isn't it his preferred choice?

Sounds like we will have more chance at Perry and man do we need Getzlaf but someone I don't see it.
That why I'm saying to go at him with the max salary ($12.8m I think) over 7 years. Obviously do the negotiating bit and work your way up. If he still doesn't sign, walk away knowing you did, literally, everything you could. No shame in that. If he does sign, well, we'll have our next Mats Sundin. With a Stanley Cup ring. Show me a rebuilding team in this league who wouldn't jump at that offer.

Too much money? Yea, maybe. But when you're dealing with a player of that quality, you move mountains to make it work. And the Leafs have that power.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
That why I'm saying to go at him with the max salary ($12.8m I think) over 7 years. Obviously do the negotiating bit and work your way up. If he still doesn't sign, walk away knowing you did, literally, everything you could. No shame in that. If he does sign, well, we'll have our next Mats Sundin. With a Stanley Cup ring. Show me a rebuilding team in this league who wouldn't jump at that offer.

Too much money? Yea, maybe. But when you're dealing with a player of that quality, you move mountains to make it work. And the Leafs have that power.
how can anyone saying too much money after the contracts blow hard burke gave komiserik ,connoly ,liles ,etc ....plus the position he put MLSE IN in an attempt to resign kesel ......thatd be a bargain giving the past track record of bad signings

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

I would never do max salary for Getzlaf. He's no Crosby.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:28 AM
BlueStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
I would never do max salary for Getzlaf. He's no Crosby.
$12+ million per year is retarded money for getzlaf. Spector posted a rumour that getzlaf is negotiating an extension now based around the $6 million per year figure. This makes sense where getzlaf's wife wants to stay in So Cal he can expect to make a little less than he would on the open market. He will most likely resign at $6.4 over 6 years. Less than we would offer.

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:35 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStorm View Post
$12+ million per year is retarded money for getzlaf. Spector posted a rumour that getzlaf is negotiating an extension now based around the $6 million per year figure. This makes sense where getzlaf's wife wants to stay in So Cal he can expect to make a little less than he would on the open market. He will most likely resign at $6.4 over 6 years. Less than we would offer.
I would offer him 7.5 to get him here but that probably wouldn't do it if they offered 6.5 with our tax rate, probably take us 9 to pull him away

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If Kessel needs a number 1 centre we shouldn't have traded 2 firsts and a 2nd for him. Kinda of tired hearing an elite player need this or that. He should be better than to need an excuse, sort of reminds me of the excuses Grabo gets around here. Sundin was great and he played with Hoglund much of his career. Great players don't need excuses.
Kessel doesn't need anyone, he manufactures his own points. But just because you have a winger like that, you don't need a center? Poor logic

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I would offer him 7.5 to get him here but that probably wouldn't do it if they offered 6.5 with our tax rate, probably take us 9 to pull him away
$7.5M he goes elsewhere for sure.

You need to entice him to come here. Heck, the Leafs are becoming (or have become?) that team that most players don't want to play for. The media scrutiny is the worst in the league, the continous losing is the worst in the league (longest without playoffs), the tax is high compared to other places, and the weather is at best average. Add that all up and nobody wants to play here. We need to entice people.

$8.5M per year for 7 years.

Who gives a flying hoot if you are overpaying your #1 C by $1-2M!?! Really? If you HAD to overpay someone THAT is the position to overpay for. They don't grow on trees, and we aren't getting one any other way. I'm not going to cry about overpaying that guy by a couple mil.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:29 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I'd be ok with Draftng that coveted 1C - giving him 2 years to develop. Were not winning a stanley cup next year lets not kid ourselves.

We have problems throughout the roster that far exceed a 1C - If we traded for a !C we'd still have questionable Defence + Questionable D-Core. And chances are we'd have lost whatever Secondary Scoring we've been able to muster up - I don't even want to think about the potential draft picks involved in Trading for a 1C - what 1C's would ever be available anyway?

Regardless The days of Trading Kadri/Frattin/Gardner/Reilly/1sts are over. That was the last 15 years. Look where we are?
Exactly. The draft route is really the only route that makes sense for us right now. We don't have the assets to make a trade for a legit #1 without tearing our roster apart, an oh chances of landing one through free agency I'd peg as close to nil.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
AuGsY

I have a feeling we will have a number 1 C by the end of this season, IF we are competing for a playoff spot, if not I have faith that Nonis will make a deal to get one here for next season.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGsY View Post
I have a feeling we will have a number 1 C by the end of this season, IF we are competing for a playoff spot, if not I have faith that Nonis will make a deal to get one here for next season.
Some people have been saying that 4-5 years now. It ain't happening.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
AuGsY

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Some people have been saying that 4-5 years now. It ain't happening.
Having a new GM will workout very well for this team. Burke was such a poor GM it isn't even funny. Ugh so many bad moves.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:52 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i can think of a few other teams who might like to go after getzlaf

washington montreal philadelphia detroit ......
there's no gaurantee we'd get him if was to be traded or was a ufa

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
WhataStick

Toronto Maple leafs might already have a Big Size centre in the system with size and skill and that is Joe Colberne. If you will remember last year before Colborne had his wrist injury he was flying with the Marlies. When he was brought up by the Leafs as a third centre he played very well. Heck he can't be worst then the Leafs first line centre now. Colborne got size 6' 5" , skill, vision & a good shot. Why keep him in the minors, bring him up already. Enough with the Bozak experiment in first line. It's not working - Bozak will be a excellent third or forth line centre. Leaf fans are looking elsewhere for a number 1 centre when he's right in front of our eyes -in our system . Leafs bring him up already he's wasting his time in the minors. Like Fratton would be doing if McArthur was not injured.Get the point! Agree or disagree?

WhataStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
$7.5M he goes elsewhere for sure.

You need to entice him to come here. Heck, the Leafs are becoming (or have become?) that team that most players don't want to play for. The media scrutiny is the worst in the league, the continous losing is the worst in the league (longest without playoffs), the tax is high compared to other places, and the weather is at best average. Add that all up and nobody wants to play here. We need to entice people.

$8.5M per year for 7 years.

Who gives a flying hoot if you are overpaying your #1 C by $1-2M!?! Really? If you HAD to overpay someone THAT is the position to overpay for. They don't grow on trees, and we aren't getting one any other way. I'm not going to cry about overpaying that guy by a couple mil.
This same logic (1-2 mill more for a #1 c) is the exact same thing we have for our #1 Dman and he gets ripped on constatntly.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGsY View Post
Basing on what canuck fans say about Nonis, I doubt he makes any bold moves soon.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataStick View Post
Toronto Maple leafs might already have a Big Size centre in the system with size and skill and that is Joe Colberne. If you will remember last year before Colborne had his wrist injury he was flying with the Marlies. When he was brought up by the Leafs as a third centre he played very well. Heck he can't be worst then the Leafs first line centre now. Colborne got size 6' 5" , skill, vision & a good shot. Why keep him in the minors, bring him up already. Enough with the Bozak experiment in first line. It's not working - Bozak will be a excellent third or forth line centre. Leaf fans are looking elsewhere for a number 1 centre when he's right in front of our eyes -in our system . Leafs bring him up already he's wasting his time in the minors. Like Fratton would be doing if McArthur was not injured.Get the point! Agree or disagree?
Lmao, no. U have no idea how to build a franchise. U can't just throw young players to the wolves and expect them to live unless there a top player (aka crosby). Colborne if u have watched the marlies u can tell he isn't ready, not strong enough. Although I agree (and a simple google search would do the trick) he is 6'5, colborne isn't fast enough to play in the nhl. Bozak isn't that bad, and he has chemistry with kessel, people gotta stop being so bipolar and just live with bozak playing with kessel and grabo who is our best center carries more of the checking duties and kadri is out there to put up points. This is a good thing going for our development. We didn't get crushed by boston were making strides.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
SprDaVE

I don't think we should expect any big players received in Toronto in the near future.

What we have right now is what we'll get for the season I bet.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i can think of a few other teams who might like to go after getzlaf

washington montreal philadelphia detroit ......
there's no gaurantee we'd get him if was to be traded or was a ufa
I would throw a long term $8 mil at year at Getzlaf.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:

Toronto was one of the more succesful teams in the late 90s/early 2000's. The problem was that the Leafs just kept getting older and then failing to recognize our window to win had close a season before the lockout but we just kept trading to try to get out of it then we had two terrible GMs who couldn't convince veterans to leave town so we could restock the system. We also lost a lot guys to the lockout without any compensation (Joey N., Leetch, etc.)

For the current team I don't think the Leafs are at the place quite yet to go all-in on that 1st line center. However outside of Mackinnon probably only 1 other player in the top 10 becomes a first line center and if it pans out to be a great draft 2 and they probably take more then 2 years to get there. Just like Brayden Schenn or Kadri have taken more then 2 years since being drafted and both of them look more likely to end up being 2nd liners (or at most low end 1st liners).

The # 1 thing the Leafs should be targeting in free agency is an upgrade at center over Bozak. The next biggest need after a center upgrade is a dominant right D but none are available and actually former Leaf Ian White is the best available (who I'd also like us to target).

We all dream about Getzlaf but it isn't happening.

So I propose the Leafs spend to the cap again next year and use the room we have to making signing one of Weiss, Roy, Filppula a priority. But on a deal that isn't to silly and luckily for the Leafs a lot of the usual high spenders have their own cap issues and probably won't even be able to bid on these guys so if their is one year we might get them at an okay price (by UFA standards) it is this year. None of them are the ideal 1st liner but they're definite upgrades.

Trading Bozak before the deadline would return us a decent pick (most likely a 2nd) to continue stocking our organizational depth.

I've got no problem trading young assets like Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly, 1st's,etc for a top young difference maker whether it be at center or at D but I don't think we're at the point to go all-in on a player.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 02-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
dcervi*

Dave nonis, please get us a competent, talented team

dcervi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataStick View Post
Colborne will be lucky to end up being a 2nd line center.

Personally I think he should follow the route of Brian Boyle (who is a valuable player) and learn that to make it at the NHL level he probably isn't good enough to be an offensive player so he better learn how to fit another role.

Boyle become an annoying physical good defensive center who takes up a lot of the ice and shuts down other teams player well also generating decent offence for a 3rd liner. No reason Colborne can't be that.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Jerkini

I don't know how the free agency game works in the NHL but I think the Leafs need to find a way to discreetly and indirectly send messages to Getzlaf's agent and let him know that the payday that awaits him at the end of the year will be monstrous.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:33 PM
tobra

no free agent wants to play in toronto.

tobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobra View Post
no free agent wants to play in toronto.
Offer max salary over 7 years. If they still don't want to play in Toronto, who cares. We at least did everything we could.