HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Nonis: PLEASE GET US A #1 CENTER

Old
02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Pretty please ?

Phil Kessel will vouch for this !
Face it, no team will ever trade a bonafide number one center to another team, because it takes YEARS to find one, and if you have two, you're basically a contender, so why mess with success?

To put it in homer terms, if Toronto had one number one center, there wouldn't be any deal where we'd downgrade with depth, and if we had two, we'd be too busy challenging for the cup to consider dealing one away.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
paulster2626

I wouldn't mind moving Kadri up to #1C for the rest of the year just to see what happens. Best case - he's awesome there and feeds Kessel pucks all season and helps us make an honest playoff push. Worst case - he sucks and team finishes bottom 3 and the rebuild continues.

Since Burke got canned, this season really feels like a great chance to "just see what we've got" and then decide the gameplan. A playoff drive only really made sense if Burke was allowed to finish out the year.

OT: If the Leafs ever do become good again, will people here stop being giant dicks? Or will it just be the same old petty arguments and insults?

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Face it, no team will ever trade a bonafide number one center to another team, because it takes YEARS to find one, and if you have two, you're basically a contender, so why mess with success?

To put it in homer terms, if Toronto had one number one center, there wouldn't be any deal where we'd downgrade with depth, and if we had two, we'd be too busy challenging for the cup to consider dealing one away.
Bonafide - of course not. But there are several young up-and-comers who haven't yet shown which way they're headed. What we need is for someone in our bloated and overpaid front office to identify a couple of these players and acquire them. Then, perhaps get lucky. Or - throw a boatload of money at a UFA.

Can anyone tell me what exactly Cliff Fletcher does? Why's he on the payroll?

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

we have a #1C currently playing on the 3rd line...

KADRI!!!!!!!

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Kule - Grabo - Frattin
McClement - Bozak - Komorov

Carlyle has to give him a shot and i think this is a more balanced line up period!

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Bonafide - of course not. But there are several young up-and-comers who haven't yet shown which way they're headed. What we need is for someone in our bloated and overpaid front office to identify a couple of these players and acquire them. Then, perhaps get lucky. Or - throw a boatload of money at a UFA.

Can anyone tell me what exactly Cliff Fletcher does? Why's he on the payroll?
I totally agree. We need the fat and overrated scouting staff to go above and beyond and just find that gem hidden under a rock and profit. I assume that's why Burke put them in place, not to just do an average to good job like most other staffs in the league.

I think the UFA route is blocked until the existing group proves they can help themselves. It will be much easier to get UFAs to bandwagon on a team on the way up than to come in and play saviour.

You know what, Fletcher is a funny case. He totally sucked during his second go-round with this franchise, but I've been reading Todd Denault's book "A Season In Time" about the 1993 season, and it explains the degree to which Fletcher really went and rebuilt the non hockey side of the franchise after he was hired to clean up the Ballard era. He really took what was a bush league outfit and modernized it, probably contributing in no small way to the billion dollar business it is today. So I guess he's got a comfy sinecure now as a reward. Still completely useless as a hockey guy at this point, it seems.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:03 PM
tape to tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
we have a #1C currently playing on the 3rd line...

KADRI!!!!!!!

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Kule - Grabo - Frattin
McClement - Bozak - Komorov

Carlyle has to give him a shot and i think this is a more balanced line up period!
Bozak > Kadri at this point, but I like the idea of shaking up the lines a bit and giving Kadri maximum ice time.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:04 PM
smitty10

We need someone who can play with Kessel and Lupul with good work ethic and two-way ability.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
nonis is at the raps game so maybe he is scouting lebron james? he kinda has the feeling of a hockey game now, no one would touch kessel

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Except for the fact that if you re-sign Bozak and you put him on the third line.

Do we want Weiss at 5M for the 3rd line? NO (Bozak at half the price? YES)
Do we want Weiss taking Kadri's spot in the top 6? NO
Do we want Weiss and Grabs to become redundant? NO

JVR(4.25) Grabovski(5.5) Perry(7)
Lupul(5.25) Kadri(2.75) Kessel(5.4)
Kulemin(2.8) Bozak(2.75) Frattin(0.925)
Komarov(1) McClemment(1.5) Brown(0.737)
McLaren(0.7)

Gunnarsson(2.35) Phaneuf(6.5)
Rielly(1.775) Komisarek(4.5)
Gardiner(1.117) Kostka(0.8)
Ranger(2)

Reimer(1.8)
Scrivens(0.613)

Tucker(1)
Armstrong(1)

Team Payroll(64.017)
Salary Cap(64.3)
Cap Space(0.283)
Your team assumes we've signed Perry which I wasn't aware of. Perry and Getzlaf are obviously bigger priorities than any other free agents.

Good teams almost always have strength down the middle. Kadri will do just fine at center and still get his minutes even if Weiss came in. Kadri is doing just fine playing "3rd line" right now so what is the problem if we have to keep him in that slot and he gets the benefit of playing against the teams weaker lines?

What is wrong with having one of Weiss, Grabo or Kadri on the ice at any given time? It would give Carlyle the ability to play the hot hand. Guys also get injured so what happens if one of Grabo or Kadri get hurt?

Weiss is a free agent that we don't have to give up a single asset except cap space for. As long as it isn't a dumb 6+ million 6+ year contract he'd want I say we make an offer. I'd be absolutely fine giving him a 5 year 5.5 contract identical to what we gave Grabo.

If this team faulters before the deadline (which is still very likely) we can also trade Bozak and get a pick to continue to stockpile our prospect pool.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Did anyone notice that Kessel was most effective last night during the one shift he played with Grabovski?

The idea that Grabovski and Kessel couldn't play together was driven by Ron Wilson - and I personally do not buy it.

We need to de-link Kessel from Bozak and either Grabovski or Kadri need to be tried in that role.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Did anyone notice that Kessel was most effective last night during the one shift he played with Grabovski?

The idea that Grabovski and Kessel couldn't play together was driven by Ron Wilson - and I personally do not buy it.

We need to de-link Kessel from Bozak and either Grabovski or Kadri need to be tried in that role.
And before anyone says, Grabo and Kessel are both shooters so it wouldn't work...how does Getzlaf and Perry work even though they're both shooters?

Old
02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Bozak > Kadri at this point, but I like the idea of shaking up the lines a bit and giving Kadri maximum ice time.
??

Faceoffs Bozak>Kadri

Just about everything else Kadri>Bozak

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
And before anyone says, Grabo and Kessel are both shooters so it wouldn't work...how does Getzlaf and Perry work even though they're both shooters?
Getzlaf isn't a shooter.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Getzlaf isn't a shooter.
Granted his game has taken a drop but he was taking about 200 shots per season in his good seasons.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Granted his game has taken a drop but he was taking about 200 shots per season in his good seasons.
200 shots for a player who see as much offensive zone and powerplay time as Getzlaf isn't that much. That is in the same range as what Thorton gets.

By comparison Grabo had almost 240 shots two seasons ago and he doesn't get the same powerplay or zone time as Getzlaf.

Getzlaf has never got more then 25 goals in a season.

He will shoot but he is definitely more of a set up man and absolutely dominating at cycling.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
200 shots for a player who see as much offensive zone and powerplay time as Getzlaf isn't that much. That is in the same range as what Thorton gets.

By comparison Grabo had almost 240 shots two seasons ago and he doesn't get the same powerplay or zone time as Getzlaf.

Getzlaf has never got more then 25 goals in a season.

He will shoot but he is definitely more of a set up man and absolutely dominating at cycling.
I guess the point is people are dynamic and difficult to rigidly categorize. But if you did watch him play, he's not a playmaker (or a "set up man"), he's much closer to a shooter than a playmaker. But the combination still works.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
??

Faceoffs Bozak>Kadri

Just about everything else Kadri>Bozak
100% correct

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
tape to tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
100% correct
I'll say this, Kadri is a lot stronger this year and doesn't get knocked off the puck quite so easily anymore.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:42 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
I'd take Kadri over Bozak any day of the week

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
black charger

Bozak is useless offensively.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

18 Teams Scouting Florida-Buffalo today
per George Richards
Quote:
Scouts at #FlaPanthers #Sabres: Chi, Edm, Phil, Col, Mont, #tbLightning, #nhlJets, Pitt, Det, Nash, SJ, Cbs, Phx, Ott, NYR, Ana, LAK, Tor

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Which is why the Leafs need to approach this free agency with every intention of making Ryan Getzlaf one of the richest hockey players in existence.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:59 PM
buntek

Hey also showed Gillis at either the Washington game or the Jersey, can't remember which one.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Which is why the Leafs need to approach this free agency with every intention of making Ryan Getzlaf one of the richest hockey players in existence.
What if Getzlaf doesn't make it to free agency?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:09 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

This might have been posted:

Quote:
George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

Scouts at #FlaPanthers #Sabres: Chi, Edm, Phil, Col, Mont, #tbLightning, #nhlJets, Pitt, Det, Nash, SJ, Cbs, Phx, Ott, NYR, Ana, LAK, Tor
I would guess Weiss will be moved soon...

Edit: Looks like it was posted; oh well... here it is again

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote