HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Stamkos actually getting better?

Old
02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Dupuis-Stamkos-Kunitz

How many points does SS put up? Does he match Crosby?
Great question that most people here will avoid answering...

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Tampa's shooting at like 19% 5v5 and 25% 5v4 when he's on the ice. He's a great player, but he's not going to sustain his current rate of production.
Oh Stamkos cant sustain a shooting percentage of 19%? Interesting

His percentage last year was 19.8% over 82 games. Id say he wont have much of an issue sustaining it.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Dupuis-Stamkos-Kunitz

Well lets see, he made Purcell a 50 point player. And he plays with Malone a lot also.

Kunitz and Dupuis arent exactly no names so dont try and act like Crosby is playing with Bissonette and Gomez on his wings.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
twihwywb

Stamkos scores from all over the ice. He is not just a sniper. The first goal last night was scored from directly in front of the net.

twihwywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Dominate Kesler

I'd take take Stamkos over Crosby right now and for the future.

Crosby has already missed a ton of games over his career. Plus he had multiple concussions that won't go away anytime soon. It will probably haunt him the rest of his career.

That said, Stamkos is ridiculously underrated on here. His production his first few years has been insane.

Dominate Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post

Crosby has already missed a ton of games over his career. Plus he had multiple concussions that won't go away anytime soon. It will probably haunt him the rest of his career.

That said, Stamkos is ridiculously underrated on here. His production his first few years has been insane.
You mean the one concussion that he's completely recovered from?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post

He's a consensus top-3 forward around here and is considered the best goal scorer in the league by almost everyone, I don't see how he's "ridiculously underrated", you sure we're from the same forum?

As for Crosby, he's had 1 concussion... and he's fully recovered and to be honest Crosby will probably outscore him by seasons end.

I wouldn't take Stamkos over Crosby just yet.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Dupuis-Stamkos-Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Great question that most people here will avoid answering...
Crosby's better cool, we get that, there's like one guy saying Crosby is better and you're ******** already.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Dupuis-Stamkos-Kunitz

Man, all the players on the bolts seem to be products of all the other good players on the bolts...

Like a team or something

B2k3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The concussion that kept him out for almost a full calendar year?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
funny stuff

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k3 View Post
Man, all the players on the bolts seem to be products of all the other good players on the bolts...

Like a team or something
Typical Tampa homer who's trying to make team play sound like a good thing. Fact is Stamkos benefits from playing with Martin St. Louis and for being on a good power play unit.

What you seem to fail to realize is that Crosby literally is the best player on his line when he's playing with Kunitz and Dupuis.

And you also underestimate how tough Crosby has it on the Penguins power play when he has to share not only the puck with a two time Hart Trophy winner like Malkin, but also Kris Letang, a guy who has received Norris Trophy consideration. Literally, there is one puck to go around in that two minutes of power play time. That kind of adversity is Masterton worthy on its own...

Old
02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'll repeat what I've been saying the last couple years. The scariest thing about Stamkos isn't his soft hands or ridiculous shot. . . . . it's that he's still only 22 years old.
People said the same thing about Ovechking. I remember arguing people who literally claimed that Ovechkin not only had a chance-but would probably break Gretzky's goal record.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that Stamkos ended up like Ovechkin-I'm just saying it's not unheard of. You're right-he's only 22...and we don't know what will happen in the future.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Well lets see, he made Purcell a 50 point player. And he plays with Malone a lot also.

Kunitz and Dupuis arent exactly no names so dont try and act like Crosby is playing with Bissonette and Gomez on his wings.
Crosby made Andy Hilbert into a PPG player on the Pengs. Andy who? Exactly.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Typical Tampa homer who's trying to make team play sound like a good thing. Fact is Stamkos benefits from playing with Martin St. Louis and for being on a good power play unit.

What you seem to fail to realize is that Crosby literally is the best player on his line when he's playing with Kunitz and Dupuis.

And you also underestimate how tough Crosby has it on the Penguins power play when he has to share not only the puck with a two time Hart Trophy winner like Malkin, but also Kris Letang, a guy who has received Norris Trophy consideration. Literally, there is one puck to go around in that two minutes of power play time. That kind of adversity is Masterton worthy on its own...
Who's debating Crosby isn't better then Stamkos? you and the guy who isn't even a lightning fan? Funny Stuff.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Who's debating Crosby isn't better then Stamkos? you and the guy who isn't even a lightning fan? Funny Stuff.
I'm not even saying Stamkos is better than Crosby, it's just funny that the supporting cast card actually got played in the context of Crosby being at a disadvantage.

I like both players for the record...

Old
02-03-2013, 07:55 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Your second paragraph completely contradicts your first. So Crosby does or doesn't play with high caliber players?

Old
02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
I'm not even saying Stamkos is better than Crosby, it's just funny that the supporting cast card actually got played in the context of Crosby being at a disadvantage.

I like both players for the record...
It's true. He plays with 3rd wheel guys at even strength, and while the players he plays with on the PP are great, the fact that the Pens have no left board threat and the right boards are where both Crosby and Malkin are most comfortable makes it a very predictable PP contained on one side of the ice.

Meanwhile Stamkos can lurk on the left side waiting for gift wraps from Marty and Co. Of course, he's a clinical finisher too.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:

So saying Stamkos is a product of players around him and the pp, then pointing out Crosby plays with a two time Hart winner and a Norris candidate... Right... What was your point again?

Yzlamic Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:08 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
It's true. He plays with 3rd wheel guys at even strength, and while the players he plays with on the PP are great, the fact that the Pens have no left board threat and the right boards are where both Crosby and Malkin are most comfortable makes it a very predictable PP contained on one side of the ice.

Meanwhile Stamkos can lurk on the left side waiting for gift wraps from Marty and Co. Of course, he's a clinical finisher too.
This is impressive. It's gotten to the point where Pens fans have to talk about how crappy the players Crosby plays with are to defend him.

Stamkos, you have arrived.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
This is impressive. It's gotten to the point where Pens fans have to talk about how crappy the players Crosby plays with are to defend him.

Stamkos, you have arrived.
Your critical reading skills need work.

But of course Stamkos has arrived. He's been a phenomenal player for years.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Your critical reading skills need work.

But of course Stamkos has arrived. He's been a phenomenal player for years.
Lol. No that's pretty much what everyone is saying at this point. I can read just fine.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Yeah, but look from where he has scored his 60 goals last season (see infographic and YT below). It's actually not that many from the left circle.

Wow, that graphic is awesome. As a little bit of a design nerd, I'm amazed by the data in there and the way it's organized.

But yeah, you're right, he doesn't get as many goals from the circle as I thought, I guess, definitely not as many as OV used to with his move. I didn't mean that he gets them from the circle a lot as a way to take away from his game, I think it's impressive when players are so solid at certain things that the opposition knowing they're going to make certain moves isn't enough to stop them.

Either way, dude's a beast and that graphic is real cool. Thanks for the link.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Stephen

Quote:

Your second paragraph completely contradicts your first. So Crosby does or doesn't play with high caliber players?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
So saying Stamkos is a product of players around him and the pp, then pointing out Crosby plays with a two time Hart winner and a Norris candidate... Right... What was your point again?

Pretty sad that I have to explain myself for being sarcastic:

Stamkos' success is often written off as the product of St. Louis' playmaking, as if chemistry found between two elite players somehow diminishes his performance because he isn't singlehandedly controlling the play by overhandling the puck all day.

I am making fun of people who think that in order to be a great player, you have to be doing it yourself alone with terrible linemates and that team work shouldn't count.

When I make the statement that Stamkos is benefiting from playing with another great player on the PP, I am simply stating an obvious point but saying it in an accusatory manner as if it were a negative.

Then, I am making fun of Penguins homers who actually think Crosby is at a disadvantage in terms of having good team support. I am purposefully being ridiculous to try and suggest Crosby has it tough because he has to share the ice time wih other great players, since I already mockingly stated that team work is a negative thing.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
His playmaking this year versus 2 years ago is crazy, he has had his amazing shot for awhile but his passing has really improved.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote