HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Pens - 12:30pm - 3/2/13 - There will be booze.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
I don't see a major improvement. The # 1's, 2's, & 3's... you'd expect to succeed in lessening amounts per round... especially after round 1.

But the latter rounds were mostly invisible men both before, and after any budget increase.

It is what it is.
You don't see a major improvement? This team struggled to find players even in the rounds you mentioned and the ones they did find were not impact players at all outside of Semin.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You don't see a major improvement? This team struggled to find players even in the rounds you mentioned and the ones they did find were not impact players at all outside of Semin.
Meaning no disrespect to you, I think the problem the Caps announcers and Milbury (although unknown to him) make is that virtually none of the lower round picks have panned out.

And.... they're right.

Look at that list. The only "1" lower round pick we can even make a modest argument about is Mathieu Perreault... a 6th rounder.

You've gotta get more than one player outta the lower rounds over nearly 10 years of drafts.

I think that's reasonable to say.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Specifically as head of amateur scouting? Was he with the team as a European scout before that? I could have sworn I'd read he was responsible for scouting/picking Bondra in 1990.

Edit: Yeah, I guess not. I don't know.
You're thinking of Jack Button.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Evidently you don't think his play has earned it?

It's one thing to suggest that his poor play has suffered because of him not playing his normal position, but watching him yesterday anytime someone got physical with him or he perceived that they were about to be physical, his game went south and he disappeared. I don't care what position (or out of position) you are playing on the ice, you react like that at this level, your game is doomed.
I've seen it after several games this year where Johansson has played no worse than 4-5 other forwards and gets singled out.

He's been bad. So has most of the team. Like any other young player, he'll have his bad stretches and his good stretches.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Caps have got so many draft busts over the years it's ridiculous. #FireMcPhee
Every team does. And the picks since the lockout have been excellent overall. If you're using something to fire McPhee over, it shouldn't be the draft. It should be the failure to properly address the needs of the NHL club.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Meaning no disrespect to you, I think the problem the Caps announcers and Milbury (although unknown to him) make is that virtually none of the lower round picks have panned out.

And.... they're right.

Look at that list. The only "1" lower round pick we can even make a modest argument about is Mathieu Perreault... a 6th rounder.

You've gotta get more than one player outta the lower rounds over nearly 10 years of drafts.

I think that's reasonable to say.
I'm going to say that finding guys in the early rounds is more important than finding guys in the later rounds. Sure finding the occasional guy in a later round is nice but it doesn't mean much if you are regularly missing on your early round picks.

This follows the same logic as complaining about Schultz when Ovechkin is doing squat...

Old
02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I'm going to say that finding guys in the early rounds is more important than finding guys in the later rounds. Sure finding the occasional guy in a later round is nice but it doesn't mean much if you are regularly missing on your early round picks.

This follows the same logic as complaining about Schultz when Ovechkin is doing squat...
Making hay with high picks is vital. Doing well with later picks is a mark of true excellence. For the last several years, drafting is the McPhee regime's strength. Are they geniuses at it? Not in the sense of finding 5th round gems, but they do a great job where it matters most, with key top picks, late firsts, and early seconds overall.

There's plenty of reasons to fire McPhee. Drafting is not a good one.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

I have no problem with the way GMGM has drafted over the last decade. From that point of view i think hes done a fine job. But he is unable to turn those assets gained into a stable team with the right ingredients.

What he has failed to do is trade assets who dont fit a role, sign players at appropriate rates & address the holes in the roster. basically, his list management is lacking dearly and it is co-incidently the part of his job in which he has the most responsibility.

The Kings drafted a young Schenn who was billed as a very very talented young player, yet they traded him to fill a need and to attack the stanley cup. It worked. Schenn will still be a good player, but the Kings have their cup. A massive win.

Thats what great GM's do. they dont sit back and be greedy and scared and over-rate their assets. This team was a couple of pieces away from a Cup a few years ago, yet GMGM did not pull the trigger and give us a change. he hoped.

Hoped that the roster could get it done still with holes so that he could begin his desire to have a dynasty where the same core of 15 players could remain together for 10 years.
This league is beyond that these days.

GMGM simply lacks the ability to see our holes with our coaching staff and go after the players to fill them. Not a player who 'might' or be a poor mans version, the actual players who will fit a need. Right now that need is a top line winger with 30g-40a potential.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
BTCG

Quote:

Finding players in the 1st round is something anyone can do.

It's the late round picks that demonstrate whether you can really judge talent.

In the 10 years since the scouting was "fixed"... we managed to find only 1 player.

Clearly, the scouting wasn't fixed, and McPhee fail to realize it.

Going with the status-quo is just another reason why McPhee should go.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
McPhee doesn't scout the later picks himself at all, as far as I know. I doubt any GMs do.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The worst thing about Brayden Schenn isn't even that he is dumber than a sack of potatoes, but that his presence on the Flyers actually convinced them trading for his brother was a good idea.

Marcus Johansson hasn't had a good stretch since 2011. What the staturbators don't seem to understand is that he isn't getting singled out just for a bad stretch, he is getting it for the same reason Jeff Schultz has been, they play scared. Players like that have no business in the NHL and neither comes anywhere close to having the skill to overcome that at the NHL level.

The current staff is good at identifying skill but are terrible at drafting players that can be effective role players.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

In Brayden Schenn's defense:

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
In Brayden Schenn's defense:

I wonder how many of these kids come into the NHL idolizing Crosby, play against him and think, "what a ******."

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Halpysback

philly fans seem pretty happy about the Schenns right now.

I don't care how dumb Schenn if he keeps playing the way he does there will always be a spot on a contender for him. Clarktard's not any smarter and he's doing pretty well for himself. If we had him here maybe Ovechkin wouldn't have to be the only one laying the hurt on people.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Luke singlehandedly won the game for the Caps. The Schenns are fine on rebuilding teams but not reloading teams.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:37 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Mink View Post

What he has failed to do is trade assets who dont fit a role, sign players at appropriate rates & address the holes in the roster. basically, his list management is lacking dearly and it is co-incidently the part of his job in which he has the most responsibility.

Great post

I think he sees few flaws in the players that he drafts that can actually make it to an NHL game.

From there, he just sticks with them, even if they don't mesh well together. At any expense. You are right, he over rates them.

Every trade offer he receives, he thus scoffs at. MJ, oh yeah, cant trade him. Carlson, cant trade him, Forsberg, oh no way we can trade him, Sarge is on simmer, no way we give up yet. Green, Alzner, Nick Ovi Kuz Holtby it just goes on and on. The players get into a comfort zone.

The team has gone stale. And he is not the guy to address it.

An example is seen with Hammer Poti and Sarge. Coaches appear advised to play Sarge. He is going to stick with Sarge until the end. Ask Oates about Hammer, he says the discussion is about the players on the ice. That says it all.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
I wonder how many of these kids come into the NHL idolizing Crosby, play against him and think, "what a ******."
At this point even if he was playing for the Caps I wouldn't like him. I don't know what it is, maybe the diving. Maybe I've been exposed to Crosby "propaganda" too much.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Finding players in the 1st round is something anyone can do.
Except many early round picks end up busting league wide so it isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

McPhee's early round drafting has improved a decent amount IMO. His early round drafting means more to me than later round drafting.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Except many early round picks end up busting league wide so it isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

McPhee's early round drafting has improved a decent amount IMO. His early round drafting means more to me than later round drafting.
I get that... exhibit 1... the current group.

Look, we need people at every level... offence, defence + goaltending. We cannot pick talent at any level.