HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Vapor X20 skates Vs. X30 skates

Old
11-25-2010, 04:37 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

vCash: 500
Bauer Vapor X20 skates Vs. X30 skates

I am joining or local adult rec league.. and i have been out of the game for a few years but have still skated a bit in public session since i quit playing.. most of my gear still fits me. but my old skates (reebok 5k pumps) do not. so i am looking into buying a new pair. most of my friends have bauer skates and say they are the best brand for skates on the market. i have been doing some research and i have a question
Are the Bauer Vapor X30 skates much better than the X20? Are they worth paying the extra 60 so dollars for?

Also have a stick question i used a bauer Vapor XX stick and i loved it especially for the price i got it for 100$ (few years ago) my question is.. from what i have read on these boards the X40 stick is a very good stick for the 100$ price but the original XX is now the Warrior Dolomite.. so would it be smart to pay a bit extra to get the warrior dolomite which is supposedly very similiar to the Vapor XX (although i have no knowledge of warrior sticks) or to go with the X40 which seems to be a legit composite for the price?

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:04 PM
avs1986

About the skates...there is little difference between the 20 and 30's, the real difference being between the 20's and 40's. I'm not an expert on skates or anything, but that is what 'experts' have told me. I have the 20's and they feel fine, but I've never skated with the 30's so I don't know, but as long as you can skate and play I doubt you will notice any difference. I will say though that the 20's are a bit uncomfortable at times, I don't know if it has something to do with me or what, but the 30's could be slightly more comfortable? I would say if you want to pay an extra 60 for the 30's then get them, but if not the 20's are pretty much the same thing, and a good skate for the price.

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:24 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Ok thank you for your advice.. i did hear the x40's are very good skates.. but they are a bit pricey for me.. i am not willing to spend more than 200 on skates

Old
11-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I'm in the same boat as avs1986. I have X20's and love them but never used X30's before. If I remember correctly when I was comparing the two a year ago when I was going to buy them, I think the X30's had a better tongue and that was about it. So unless you plan on blocking tons of shots with the front of your skates, might as well save the $ and get the X20's. They've held up pretty well for me, skate 2-3 times a week from fall to spring (no where's really open around summer that I can get to). So in total, I've probably skated on them about 9 months. Little plastic things for decoration on the side ripped off but that's the only damage to them.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:00 PM
AIREAYE

get whatever skates fit, don't even think about brands

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:00 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
get whatever skates fit, don't even think about brands
Just about any skates will fit me.. i have regular width which all brands have.. and a normal arc.. i have used CCM vectors, CCM tacks and recently Reebok 5K and they all fit perfectly fine.. i have just heard great things about the bauer skates.
My only size criteria would be 9-10 size with D width

Old
11-25-2010, 11:36 PM
DevsFan84

IMO, the jump in quality between the x20 and x30 is pretty significant. The difference is not only the tongue- the x30 has a much better outsole, will heat mold better and probably have a smoother break-in period due to that, and also the x30 has replaceable steel (I'm 99% sure the x20 doesn't, but I'm going to check at work tomorrow)

Is it worth the extra money? That depends on how much you skate and at what level. Neither is a bad skate if it fits your foot, but it is up to you whether the extra cash is worth it.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:27 AM
ChiTownHawks

I have the x30s and have had them for about a year now. I really like them and they are very comfortable. After the break in period that is. The guy at my LHS told me these were the skates to go for if I wanted a high quality mid-level skate.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:24 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Thank you everyone for you input of the bauer X20 and X30 skates.. that is gonna be a tough decision.. the X30 skates seem good for the price.. but they are about 60 more than the X20's

Does anyone have any experience with Warrior sticks? or the Vapor X40?

Old
02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
sampollock

i bought a new set of 20's for 70.00

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
deeman

I have what I consider very average feet Ė not too wide or skinny. I tried on the Bauer 20ís, 30ís and 40ís and did not like the fit at all.

Please try a pair of Eastons on. I have the 20ís and they were only $75 and are very comfortable. Way more comfy that the Bauer 40ís.

Donít assume you have average feet. Like someone else said doing research is great, but it all comes down to what feels BETTER. Please do yourself a favor and go to a decent local retailer and try on 4-10 different pairs. I think doing this will make up your mind for you.

Good luck getting back into the sport. This is a GREAT resource to rely on.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote