HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Rant 2015- Get Ready for the Regular Season!

Old
10-06-2014, 03:06 PM
TheHockeyRant
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

After possibly the most ridiculous off-season in Sharks history what are you looking forward to this upcoming season? Share your rants!

Last edited by TheHockeyRant: 10-14-2014 at 01:47 AM.
TheHockeyRant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 03:32 PM
goldenshark

Another craptastical collaspe in the playoffs.

goldenshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Le Rosbeef

Having much lower expectations so that I don't wind up crushed next April for once... cheers Doug!

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

Alrighty, since you asked, and since I don't feel like doing my homework, this is me this offseason:

Emotional roller coaster:

- Last playoff exit was the worst in our team's history, the closing of our window (imho), and a perfect poop cherry on top of what was a terrible year for me.
- Boyle leaving gave me a sad.
- Drew leaving gave me an extra-large sad.
- Ice girls? Ugh.
- My favorite headline of the offseason: "Have the San Jose Sharks lost their minds???"
- Yes. Yes we have.
- Joe and Patty were not traded. Yay!
- Hannan still in teal??? SUPER YAY!!! I will never not be happy about that and I am not sorry.*
- Okay, younger team, I can dig it.
- Hey check it out I can get CSNBA out here in North Carolina
- Actually, this whole "not being a Cup favorite" thing is a little freeing.
- OMG so many cool new kids
- OMG and my favorites are still around
- SHARKS HOCKEY I AM EXCITED YEEEEAHHH!!!!

So I have basically gone from really ****ing depressed to really ****ing excited/positive and I'm not totally sure why and probably I am actually insane. I'm jazzed for this season, and not because I think we have Cup chances, but because I just really like watching my team play.

It's like, the worst thing ever happened and I still <3 this team, and that is kind of awesome in a weird way?

*Side note: When I found out about Hannan re-signing, I was about [7] at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I think I scared some children giggling to myself about it.

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Having much lower expectations
What he said. I still have season tickets although I debated throughout the off-season whether to forgo those or not. My expectations are wildcard entry into season #2, but not in the playoffs.

My excitement of watching the Sharks will be the new blood coming in and seeing what they can do, and how they transform the team.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:27 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

While I have been stripped of confidence, I'm rebuilding my hope.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

I don't care, lets play hockey.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

I'm pumped! We cannot do any worse than last year.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I don't care, lets play hockey.
Pretty much.

With both the Sharks and A's monumentally awful collapses this year, my days of actual, emotional investment in sports is over. I'm just ready to watch some solid hockey.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Pretty much.

With both the Sharks and A's monumentally awful collapses this year, my days of actual, emotional investment in sports is over. I'm just ready to watch some solid hockey.
I was over both fairly quickly. I don't play the games so meh.

Old
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
TheHockeyRant
HFB Partner

The Anchorman quote sums up just about everything back in May.

TheHockeyRant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Its hockey season (finally). Every team is 0-0-0-0. Sharks going all the way. Its the only way to think. They play to win, we watch to have them win.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Hold the Pickles

Well I ditched my season tix this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if we win it all.

If so, the sharks will have to start paying me to stay away

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
boylerroom

While everyone is arguing over Jumbo and Patty, and "The C", and DW, this team still refuses to address the same problems with this roster:

1. Our Goaltending is at best slightly above-average to just mediocre. And since the days of Nabokov our goalies become a weak point in the playoffs.

2. The lack of a true third line or players that can be true agitators, ****-disturbers, and "scoring grit" as I call it. Torres is exactly that guy, and DW doesn't seem to get he can't stay healthy. No team has won a cup in the last 15 years without at least 1 or 2 of these guys.

I've also come to believe whatever "it" is, that makes teams win championships - this veteran core ain't got it. Sorry boys and girls it's the truth. I believe we will see the Sharks win a cup but probably after Joe and Patty are long gone.

Last edited by boylerroom: 10-06-2014 at 11:00 PM.
boylerroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylerroom View Post
While everyone is arguing over Jumbo and Patty, and "The C", and DW, this team still refuses to address the same problems with this roster:

1. Our Goaltending is at best slightly above-average to just mediocre. And since the days of Nabokov our goalies become a weak point in the playoffs.

2. The lack of a true third line or players that can be true agitators, ****-disturbers, and "scoring grit" as I call it. Torres is exactly that guy, and DW doesn't seem to get he can't stay healthy. No team has won a cup in the last 15 years without at least 1 or 2 of these guys.

I've also come to believe whatever "it" is, that makes teams win championships - this veteran core ain't got it. Sorry boys and girls it's the truth. I believe we will see the Sharks win a cup but probably after Joe and Patty are long gone.
1. At this point in terms of league play, unless you get a top/bottom 5, the rest of the starting goalies are fairly equivalent.

2. As I said last week, the "agitation" part of the game is pretty much icing on the cake and not part of the actual cake unfortunately.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Tommy Wingels isn't a true **** disturber/scoring depth?

Old
10-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylerroom View Post

If you don't know what "it" is then you're not qualified to say whether anyone has "it".

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2014, 11:58 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 1150
Lotta talk about a youth movement from a PR perspective, but the Sharks end up with the same amount of rookies making the team as last season. We all know why, and there's really no way around it, so whatever. I'm more worried about these three then Hertl, Nieto and Hamilton of last season though. And Hamilton was terrible and Nieto hit a brick wall until late in the season. Hopefully the new kids can adjust, adapt and endure.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

3 rookie skaters is still a lot. I mean did some really expect nothing but rookies and youngsters to round out the squad?

Old
10-07-2014, 12:37 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
3 rookie skaters is still a lot. I mean did some really expect nothing but rookies and youngsters to round out the squad?
No. And that's why I was specific in saying the PR narrative was about a youth movement. But the reality is that it's the same as last season. Last season was as exciting as any we've had in a long time in terms of camp competition. Was hardly any different this year.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 12:54 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShork View Post
Lotta talk about a youth movement from a PR perspective, but the Sharks end up with the same amount of rookies making the team as last season. We all know why, and there's really no way around it, so whatever. I'm more worried about these three then Hertl, Nieto and Hamilton of last season though. And Hamilton was terrible and Nieto hit a brick wall until late in the season. Hopefully the new kids can adjust, adapt and endure.
Nieto straight up wasn't ready at the beginning of last season. We're pretty fortunate he managed to figure out the NHL as well as he did at the end of last season.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 12:58 AM
magic school bus

I'm looking forward to Doug Wilson not liking the price of players at the deadline, then not liking the price of players at the draft and then not liking the price of players in the off season.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShork View Post
No. And that's why I was specific in saying the PR narrative was about a youth movement. But the reality is that it's the same as last season. Last season was as exciting as any we've had in a long time in terms of camp competition. Was hardly any different this year.
I think getting another 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder and an undrafted player into the line up on their own merit is pretty excited.

Old
10-07-2014, 01:59 AM
WantonAbandon

All hope lies in Tierney and Mueller to fill that crucial 3rd C or at least anchor winger and top four on left side.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 02:42 AM
jMoneyBrah

I for one am looking forward to a few aspects of the upcoming season
Can Sheppard improve as a player? I think there is still room for his game to take an incremental step forward, and I refuse to write him off as having grown as much as he can as a player.
Can Wingels continue to evolve? He took another step last season, but can he continue to develop his game and maybe go from a solid 3rd liner to a gritty top 6 winger?
What kinda of Dman is Jason Demers going to be? Can he replace most of Boyle’s contributions and grow defensively or will he always be an offensive weapon who is prone to turnovers and occasionally a liability?
Can Couture solidify his future as a 1C? Last season he paired with Marleau (and eventually Nieto) to form a fantasticly productive line against top competition. Can Couture continue to evolve his game to an even higher level, and perhaps step out of the shadow of Marleau as the driver of his line’s success.
Can Nieto and Hertl avoid the sophmore slump? All Sharks fans have to be excited of the emergence of Hertl and Nieto. It would be great to see if Nieto can earn his way to playing everyday and continue to perform at the level he did at the end of last season. For Hertl can he stay healthy for the entire season and put up numbers at the rate we hope he can.
Which young dman is going to play his way into top 4 minutes? Will it be Mueller, or will one of the other young guys get a shot and run with it?
Which of the prospects is going to earn his way into the bottom 6? Goodrow, Tierney, or another dark horse?
Just a few interesting things to watch this season, and 82 games to watch them play out. Sounds like some fun to me. Additionally, the organization has already stated that they are operating under a different purpose than in the past, and Cup or bust is no longer their MO. So hand wringing over how much of a Cup contender they are or aren’t and what moves did or didn’t help their chances seems a bit pointless, especially before the season has yet to even begin.

I think the team will be in contention for a spot in the playoffs. Once they get their it will be up to them to go as far as they can. Who knows what can happen? And isn’t that the whole point of tuning in?

jMoneyBrah is offline   Reply With Quote