HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Sound Tigers host first ever 'You Can Play' night vs Manchester this Sat!

Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
Sound Tigers host first ever 'You Can Play' night vs Manchester this Sat!

As you guys have probably heard, the Burke family is behind this initiative called the YOU CAN PLAY team, dedicated to providing support and a safe haven for LGBT athletes. More information is available at: http://www.youcanplayproject.org/

But this Saturday, the Isles organization is doing something very special. They are holding a YOU CAN PLAY night at 7:00PM against Manchester.

Proceeds from tickets sold at the link below will go directly to YCP and Patrick Burke will chair a pregame panel on LGBT issues in the world of sport. Going to be a special night. Make it if you can!

Tickets Here: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/go...&o=1117564&g=6

The code is YOUCAN

I'll be covering the game. Most of the time I'll be in 106. Do say Hi!

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Isles Junkie

ohhhhhhh. I thought this was something completely different. I really thought it was "be the 10,000th customer & you get to play goal." I wouldn't put it past our organization to do something like that.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

I'd like to see the Isles one year have a "You Can Play!" night where we dress 20 guys who claim that prize.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCcsXpkg-Q

Pretty cool spot by the team, and it's got special K in it!

Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Strummergas

It's stuff like this that takes the edge of my sometimes hate for this organization (the Isles). Good move by the Sound Tigers and Wang.

No one should have to hide who they are, not even in a competitive sports environment. No one.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
ohhhhhhh. I thought this was something completely different. I really thought it was "be the 10,000th customer & you get to play goal." I wouldn't put it past our organization to do something like that.
I too thought it was something like that when I read the title. Gotta give a rare kudos to the organization for this one.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
No one should have to hide who they are, not even in a competitive sports environment. No one.

I almost think that if there was a franchise that would have a player that would feel comfortable enough to come out of the closet , it would be the Isles. I mean, to deal with the jokes and knocks at this franchise...it would make it a little easier. It will happen soon.

I honestly think that someone specific on the Isles roster right now is gay. I won't say who, but I would almost put $$ on it. I hope if he was, that he would be strong enough to come out. But who am I to say, I am straight. It still is really tough for someone to come out.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

I almost think that if there was a franchise that would have a player that would feel comfortable enough to come out of the closet , it would be the Isles. I mean, to deal with the jokes and knocks at this franchise...it would make it a little easier. It will happen soon.

I honestly think that someone specific on the Isles roster right now is gay. I won't say who, but I would almost put $$ on it. I hope if he was, that he would be strong enough to come out. But who am I to say, I am straight. It still is really tough for someone to come out.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and don't care if anyone on the team is gay.....

But I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the thought of the headlines if it was B.Strait.

LMAO

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:

Hopefully it's not DP. I think that would set back the movement at least a decade.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and don't care if anyone on the team is gay.....

But I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the thought of the headlines if it was B.Strait.

LMAO
If it is Strait we could trade him to the Flames

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Pnut

Quote:
LMAO
This reminds me about the politician A.Weiner that showed his.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Hopefully it's not DP. I think that would set back the movement at least a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
If it is Strait we could trade him to the Flames

I forgot about Strait.

It warms my heart to see people that don't care and or support this either ways.

On a side note. I also want to mention that Matt Moulson did that "you can play video" after Brian Burke asked him. Moulson also honored a soldier at a game, he got a free ticket (I think he did that a few times). Matt Moulson truly an awesome dude.

Last edited by Pnut: 02-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Good for the organization.

I don't care either way about DP. I hope it's not Dina.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:23 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
It's stuff like this that takes the edge of my sometimes hate for this organization (the Isles). Good move by the Sound Tigers and Wang.

Well said, I am a proud supporter of this imitative and very glad my team is on-board.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Strummergas

Quote:

I have my suspicions too, but it shouldn't and doesn't matter (not aiming that at you, just saying). It'll be nice when we finally get the point where we won't feel the need to speculate anymore.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Do NOT name a player unless you have concrete proof from a valid media source. Its considers libel, otherwise.

02-20-2013, 10:54 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Do NOT name a player unless you have concrete proof from a valid media source. Its considers libel, otherwise.
Can I ask a serious question?

Doesnt libel mean you said something BAD about a person?

Or does it merely have to be untrue?

Old
02-21-2013, 05:00 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor View Post

Yup, must be defamatory to be considered libel.

Libel is the use of false, defamatory claims about someone in written or printed form.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Pnut

Quote:
I have my suspicions too, but it shouldn't and doesn't matter (not aiming that at you, just saying). It'll be nice when we finally get the point where we won't feel the need to speculate anymore.
Yes, I wish it didnt matter.....sadly it does (to a shrinking minority of people), although it is getting to the point where people are now speaking out FOR peoples rights and people that might have spoken out against gay folks are afraid of looking bad and being called homophobes.
Quote:
Hence the reason I did not name him. I like him as a player. I think guys here can figure it out, if they pay attention to what guys have girlfriends/fiances and wives and go from there.....

Last edited by Pnut: 02-21-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Yes, I wish it didnt matter.....sadly it does (to a shrinking minority of people), although it is getting to the point where people are now speaking out FOR peoples rights and people that might have spoken out against gay folks are afraid of looking bad and being called homophobes.

Hence the reason I did not name him. I like him as a player. I think guys here can figure it out, if they pay attention to what guys have girlfriends/fiances and wives and go from there.....
It would be an enormous PR coup for NYI were a player to come out with team support, but anyone who comes out publicly in a major professional sport is going to have to be a really special person who doesn't mind a huge amount of media attention and additional obligations to go along with occasional abuse from other teams' fans.

I'm sure there have already been players who have come out to their teammates. That's a completely different scenario than coming out publicly.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor View Post

Quote:
Yup, must be defamatory to be considered libel.

Libel is the use of false, defamatory claims about someone in written or printed form.
From the Site Rules:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Quote:

I appreciate that. My bolded comments above were not directed at you. It was just a general statement.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
From the Site Rules:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.
I understand, and I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't see a correlation between being gay and having a drinking/drug/sex/personal 'problem'. I actually think this is the point the foundation mentioned at the beginning of the thread is trying to make.

Now, I'm not saying it's okay to come on here and just say 'I heard so and so is gay' anymore than it's okay to come on here and gossip about any other personal thing about the person that may or may not be true (same reason why I didn't put Nino on blast for some things I know about him to be true (nothing about his sexuality)) It's gossip and I don't care for it much, but it isn't libel.

It's gossip, not libel. Being gay is not a 'problem' therefore it is not defamatory.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
I understand, and I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't see a correlation between being gay and having a drinking/drug/sex/personal 'problem'. I actually think this is the point the foundation mentioned at the beginning of the thread is trying to make.

Now, I'm not saying it's okay to come on here and just say 'I heard so and so is gay' anymore than it's okay to come on here and gossip about any other personal thing about the person that may or may not be true (same reason why I didn't put Nino on blast for some things I know about him to be true (nothing about his sexuality)) It's gossip and I don't care for it much, but it isn't libel.

It's gossip, not libel. Being gay is not a 'problem' therefore it is not defamatory.
I agree with this in theory, but unfortunately we're still in a place in our culture where an individual can still take speculation as defamatory.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I agree with this in theory, but unfortunately we're still in a place in our culture where an individual can still take speculation as defamatory.
You might be right and that's sad. But with that said, I understand how my position would make people comfortable with just speculating and making players sexuality public record. I can't understand why anyone would make their own sexuality public record, so I certainly disagree with someone else doing it for them (perhaps incorrectly)

I actually only like commenting about hockey anyway, so I'm going to bow out of this conversation.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
You're right, but it also seem to me that defamation isn't really the issue. I mean suppose we fast forward 10 years and it is even more culturally apparent that being out doesn't tarnish one's reputation... It would still be wrong to pick someone out for personal reporting just because he's different.

OTOH, if someone preaches about sexual morality (e.g. George Rekers, Ted Haggard, Eddie Long, Larry Craig, Mark Foley, many not to mention a certain large, currently leaderless organization..) it's relevant and fair game. Otherwise, it's just wrong to hound people for the harmless things they do and wish to keep private.

The whole Mike Piazza speculation was extremely awkward for him because of his committed Catholicism. And while he is a committed Catholic, I never heard him preach, so I thought that whole thing put him in a terrible position. By having to deny he was gay, people took him as implying that he thought there was something wrong with homosexuality. But if he did not deny it, he would be placed in an poor position with his family and faith, because people would assume he was gay. That's a crappy thing to do to a guy who kept his mouth shut, and didn't deserve any of it.

So it's not defamation. Maybe harassment is closer to the mark.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote