HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Peasant View Post
IMO, and this is JMO, but we should trade Gagner when his value is highest. Gagner's a good soldier for this team, but this team needs more size in it's top two lines. Defensively, he's done alright this season, but if we make it to the playoffs, he will get destroyed by a guy like Thornton. O'Reilly should be our number one target.

I also believe we should be shopping Hemsky around, in search of a big LW. If we can acquire a big 2C and a big LW, our top two lines will be balanced perfectly in terms of a mixture of size and speed. Then we can move Yak to RW, where he righfully belongs.

Did I mention this was JIMO?
Trading Gagner would be a horrible idea. He's not going anywhere.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
SDig14

Tambo doesn't make trades during the season that actually upgrade the team.

He makes his roster, hopes for the best, and takes lottery picks and/or top 10 picks when injuries happen and then simply blame a lack of success on the fact guys like Lander, VV, Paajarvi, Peckham, etc. had to play due to injuries.

IMO, at best we get a Morrison type signing, but even that seems very unlikely.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Certainly, how could I have been so wrong? We must lock him up for 10 years at least, since he is a member of our core and one who will bring us to the Stanley Cup! I will send you my phone number in a PM and you can feel free to call me whenever we win a Stanley Cup with Gagner as our second line C.
Generally you don't trade your points leader unless you're desperate or stupid.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
alphahelix

Whats the point of all this speculation? Rumors never turn out...

I heard a rumor that the Oilers can get their hands on a shiny new executive duffle... but it turned out to be a hoax?:
http://shop.canada.nhl.com/product/i...y_bestsell_txt

Old
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Noble Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Generally you don't trade your points leader unless you're desperate or stupid.
Generally, you don't rely on two tiny centres as your top 2 unless your a fat kid who games NHL and uses the small players because they're faster than the rest of the normal sized players (so you can beat the D wide). I'm almost certain that the only reason Tambo has left the top 2 lines to be so small is because he likes to use them online in NHL 13 for the exact reason that I stated above.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
IMO, and this is JMO, but we should trade Gagner when his value is highest. Gagner's a good soldier for this team, but this team needs more size in it's top two lines. Defensively, he's done alright this season, but if we make it to the playoffs, he will get destroyed by a guy like Thornton. O'Reilly should be our number one target.

I also believe we should be shopping Hemsky around, in search of a big LW. If we can acquire a big 2C and a big LW, our top two lines will be balanced perfectly in terms of a mixture of size and speed. Then we can move Yak to RW, where he righfully belongs.

Did I mention this was JIMO?
First off not every player is Thorton and secondly Gagner should not be matching up against him. Our primary focus should be to make it to the playoffs and let our young players get a taste of it, and hopefully play well enough that our kids maintain their pride, but come back hungry for more. Making the playoffs alone is a mighty challenge for our group winning a playoff round at this point is fanciful and shouldn't be the focus this year. Our core isn't ready to make a real push for the cup and we shouldn't be expending the valuable assets for good veterans to make that happen.

We should trim some of our fat and expend the odd late pick for some current help to shore some short comings but not much more than that. If one of Gagner or Hemsky are to be traded I would prefer the deadline where they would likely command a higher premium. If we trade one of Hemsky or Gagner for size I think we should dispel all illusions about it being a lateral trade, size carries a premium we will be getting an inferior player with less offensive skill in return. For the regular season and acquiring enough points for the playoffs I am thinking Gagner and Hemsky would serve us better than any replacement player we would get. In the playoffs is where size pays the greatest benefit with the tighter checking and it's not quite time to pay that higher premium to get the player we need.

We should cash in Whitney while some people think he is still good, a late pick and/or mediocre prospect, and Omark if there is a taker and not much more then that. Those assets should be able to acquire more depth at center, someone else's big forward who is fallen out of favour who we suspect has more to give (3rd of 4th liner with the potential to play higher), and lastly a depth defenseman to replace Whitney if we pinch our pennies just right.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Generally, you don't rely on two tiny centres as your top 2 unless your a fat kid who games NHL and uses the small players because they're faster than the rest of the normal sized players (so you can beat the D wide). I'm almost certain that the only reason Tambo has left the top 2 lines to be so small is because he likes to use them online in NHL 13 for the exact reason that I stated above.
So clearly we need to trade Gagner for Kesler, right?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So clearly we need to trade Gagner for Kesler, right?
I'm far from being in the "trade Gagner" camp, but Kessler would be an absolute godsend to this team (healthy Kessler, of course).

02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'm far from being in the "trade Gagner" camp, but Kessler would be an absolute godsend to this team (healthy Kessler, of course).
Kesler would make this team exponentially better. I cant even fathom the difference he'd make on this team. Pipe dream though ahah,

Old
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Well, of course. That goes without saying. But I mean almost every team around the league needs a center, and with Horcoff and Belanger out trading one seems... silly.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockyluv21 View Post
I think the Canes may be interested in Sam Gagner as a 3rd line centerman. Would a trade centered around Gagner for a defenseman like Jamie McBain satisfy the needs for both teams?

The trade I was thinking of:

To Oilers:

D Jamie McBain (2 Years/$1.8M remaining, then RFA)
4th Round Pick 2013

To Canes:

C Sam Gagner (RFA next year)
D Mark Fistric (expiring contract)
How about hell no? My counter proposal:

To Edmonton: McBain and Dalpe
To Carolina: Gagner and Potter/Peckham

02-06-2013, 12:16 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

McBain is worth a mid 2nd at most in my opinion.

Gagner is at a PPG. He shouldn't be on the table for McBain let alone getting added too.

02-06-2013, 12:20 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Kesler would make this team exponentially better. I cant even fathom the difference he'd make on this team. Pipe dream though ahah,
On THIS team it would be brutal since he's hurt

Just imagine
Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Yak - Arco - Hemsky
Smyth - Lander - Petrell
Hartikainen - CVV - Eager

Hello lottery!

Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Paralyzer008

Some Stauffer tweets:

"Steckel is in and out of Leafs line-up. He is likely available and has been one of the top faceoff guys in the NHL for years. A good stop gap"

"Long term, Ryan Getzlaf is a pipe dream, Getzlaf's family loves Anaheim and Ducks need to keep him and one of Ryan/Perry"

"The longer the Ryan O'Reilly saga goes on, you have to think this is the type of guy the Oilers should target. Strong, skilled, two-way C!"

Old
02-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

O'Reilly is a pipe dream too, Bob.

And I doubt that Tambi has even inquired about Steckel. He'd rather throw unpolished AHLers into the proverbial NHL fire.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
Getting O'Reilly might rank 2nd only to winning the Justin Schultz sweepstakes with regards to pissing off other teams fans.

Get it done.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Spawn

Problem with Steckel is that despite being an incredible faceoff guy, after that he is pretty much a 10 minute a night type guy. You don't want him on the ice in the final minute because if he loses the draw (which even the best in the world will do 40% of the time) you have someone who is a liability on the ice. I wouldn't mind picking him up, but he isn't going to step in and replace the PK time that we lose with Horcoff out
(Yeah I know, neither is Arcobello)

Edit: Although looking at his time last year, he did kill 2 minutes per game... although the TO PK was abysmal.

Last edited by Spawn: 02-06-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Problem with Steckel is that despite being an incredible faceoff guy, after that he is pretty much a 10 minute a night type guy. You don't want him on the ice in the final minute because if he loses the draw (which even the best in the world will do 40% of the time) you have someone who is a liability on the ice.
Yup. I agree with you on all of those points but what other options do we have? Belanger isn't out for long but besides him and Horcoff Oilers centres are operating at an unprecedented negative clip on the dot over the past few games. What were they in the Vancouver game? 20 percent? That's beyond awful.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Oilers now are the 2nd worst in the NHL on faceoffs, 4th fewest hits, 6th most blocked shots (plenty of opposition rubber coming at them which will lead to more injuries as well), 5th most giveaways.

All these factors help connect the dots to the Oil being the team with the most shots against per game.

I'm not sure there's any simple solution or acquisition that's going to turn that all around soon, other than patience and time and a big helping of optimism and hope.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:48 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Oilers now are the 2nd worst in the NHL on faceoffs, 4th fewest hits, 6th most blocked shots (plenty of opposition rubber coming at them which will lead to more injuries as well), 5th most giveaways.

All these factors help connect the dots to the Oil being the team with the most shots against per game.

I'm not sure there's any simple solution or acquisition that's going to turn that all around soon, other than patience and time and a big helping of optimism and hope.
I posted on the main trade board that I thought Reasoner would be a good pickup because of his faceoff ability. Isles have to demote or trade someone because Bailey's due back. Reasoner could probably be had for a 5th or 6th rounder.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Proposal:

To EDM: J.Blum + P.Gaustad
To NSH: R.Whitney + Omark + Prospect\pick

4 guys that have no room in their current squads and all can use a change in scenry ..

Gaustad is overpaid and signed for 3 more years but is 6'4" and well over 50% on the dot( 57% last year and 57% so far this year). Would be a welcome addition esp with injury sitation.

Blum has no hope of cracking a RD spot in NSH with Weber\Klein and Eliis there.. He is a good puck mover who would be an instant upgrade over Potter as our 3rd pairing RD.
He has played with Fistric back in Jr as well..

Whitney would actually be an upgrade over H.Gill and could use a change of scenery..
If Omark has a NHL career ahead of himself.. NSH might be the only place where he can make his mark.. NSH management might take a chance on him.
Gaustad's contract is exactly the type that you want to avoid like the plague. He is a #4 center when everyone is healthy. Relatively speaking his contract would be as bad for the Oliers as Horcoff's.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:44 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Gaustad's contract is exactly the type that you want to avoid like the plague. He is a #4 center when everyone is healthy. Relatively speaking his contract would be as bad for the Oliers as Horcoff's.
anyone who hates the Horcoff deal and wants to get Gaustad gets an F in math-- they see his size and think he could be the big number 3 center the oilers need--Horcoff in a better center

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
No. Just, no.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:53 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

patience and time..... we're a better team this year, no doubt, but we're still (shockingly enough) one of the most inexperienced teams in the league, with 2 raw rookies playing huge minutes for us, and almost every other important position filled by a player less than 23 years old

we're *years* away from being a good defensive team, our path to winning in the intervening time frame is to hope the young kids can put up lots of points.... the defence will come, but it's going to be a long, slow process

Old
02-06-2013, 08:02 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I can't see Steckel really helping us.

TBH I'd rather give some of our prospects time this year and consider it a Pre-playoff development year.

Horcoff hurt, Jones starting off hurt, and Whitney obviously never going to be a shade of his former self.

Belanger shouldn't be gone too long and hopefully neither will Fistric.

Closed Thread