HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Not really. Boedker showed a lot more offensive potential than Paajarvi has
I don't think this is true. Maybe a little but not a lot.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Noble Peasant

Ovie's contract is quickly turning into one of the worst in the league.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:08 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Ovechkin isn't Jagr or Selanne. Where will he be at 30? Let alone 35.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Hemsky4PM

Anaheim, IMO, is the spot Ovie would land. Something like Bobby Ryan, Jonas Hiller, prospect and pick for Ovie and Neuvirth.

Then the Ducks would make every effort to keep Getlaf and Perry to form maybe the best top line since Lemieux-Francis-Jagr.

Other possibilities could be Colorado (O'Reilly plus, plus), Detroit, Toronto (Kessel, plus, plus) and Calgary (Baertschi, Cammelleri, plus, plus). I would place Edmonton as very low on the list of possibilities.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Ovechkin isn't Jagr or Selanne. Where will he be at 30? Let alone 35.
You forget that during Jagr's time in Washington they were saying similar things about him.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ovi is on the downtrend not up.
I couldn't disagree more. He's having a bad year so far, but he's just a flip of the switch away from ripping the league apart again. He'll wake up, and it won't be pretty for everyone else.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Anaheim, IMO, is the spot Ovie would land. Something like Bobby Ryan, Jonas Hiller, prospect and pick for Ovie and Neuvirth.

Then the Ducks would make every effort to keep Getlaf and Perry to form maybe the best top line since Lemieux-Francis-Jagr.

Other possibilities could be Colorado (O'Reilly plus, plus), Detroit, Toronto (Kessel, plus, plus) and Calgary (Baertschi, Cammelleri, plus, plus). I would place Edmonton as very low on the list of possibilities.
If Colorado refuses to pay ROR $5M for 2 years they definitely won't take Ovechkin's $9M+ for 6 years.
Detroit could be a possibility but I'd assume they'd rather spend the money on a #1 defenseman or 2 x top 4 defensemen. They're offense is just fine.
Toronto makes sense. Kessel+ would be enough. I could see Calgary doing it too. Not sure if Calgary has the assets to land him though. Something like Kiprusoff, Baertshi, 1st for Ovechkin and Holtby is an idea.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
You forget that during Jagr's time in Washington they were saying similar things about him.
Yeah. Jagr's Capitals tenure is often glossed over when folks talk about his greatness. He averaged around 70 points a season as a Cap and went to New York and scored 123 points in his first full season there.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 163
The Oilers Report ‏@OilersReport
Just a thought... Would Sam Gagner fetch a Ryan Johansen out of Columbus? Might need to add to deal. Future #1 centre who is 6,2.. #oilers

Old
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Just a thought... Would Sam Gagner fetch a Ryan Johansen out of Columbus? Might need to add to deal. Future #1 centre who is 6,2.. #oilers
I would be surprised if the Jackets would do that, I think they're still pretty high on them

Old
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
40oz

Quote:
Huge risk. He may have first line potential but he isn't exactly trending that way right now. In fact he just got sent back to the AHL.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
frag2

Quote:
The thought is an idiotic one. Johansen isn't even an NHL centerman at this point, let alone a number 1 and then you trade away one we've been developing for 5+ years AND at the moment, our leading point man...

Johansen might pan out but at what cost? Wait another x number of years of horrible Oilers hockey, become the laughing stock for failing to make playoffs 8+ years and then still "hope" he becomes that centerman we thought he'd become?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

My only worries as far as OV (besides the contract) is what it would "cost" to acquire him and where his head is at.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Anyone who listens to Oilers Now can tell you Johansen certainly isn't available. Before the Oilers won the lottery, reports were that Howsen wouldn't have considered the 2nd overall for Johansen.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Soundwave

Man what is it with Columbus and developing forwards?

Johansen had a ton of hype around him but his numbers are underwhelming.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Man what is it with Columbus and developing forwards?

Johansen had a ton of hype around him but his numbers are underwhelming.
I'm no expert, but the few times I had seen him in junior I found him completely underwhelming.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Why are people who follow the Oilers still suggesting trades like this? The Oilers shouldn't be trading established NHLers for prospects and picks at this stage.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Why are people who follow the Oilers still suggesting trades like this? The Oilers shouldn't be trading established NHLers for prospects and picks at this stage.
Because 6 foot 3 centers with a skillset like that don't come along every day. We don't have any players like that in our system either. Oilers probably should've taken a chance on Mueller too.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Because 6 foot 3 centers with a skillset like that don't come along every day.
And his development curve has been slooooooooow as ****. We can't afford to wait.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
And his development curve has been slooooooooow as ****. We can't afford to wait.
I would personally take the chance that his development would accelerate with Yakupov and Hemsky over whoever he's play with in Columbus.

Part of the reason our development is so slow is because we still lack a lot of pieces like a big center.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
I can't think of many teams lower on the list of teams for Ovi than Edmonton actually. Maybe the Isles.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:11 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
In my opinion that is a pretty short sighted view. The Oilers need to improve no doubt. BUT the team still has huge holes. Size and center depth are both weaknesses. RyJo could solve both issues. Is there risk? Of course but no risk and no reward. And trying to get him now will be much easier than if he breaks out. I might not move Gagner for him. I would move Hemsky in a heartbeat. Trade MPS for Niedereiter and see if they can regain their junior chemistry. If they do BOOM! If not they help out the Barons and or help form a good 3rd or 4th line. He's worth the risk for me. A line of Yak-RyJo-Niño could be sweet.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
In my opinion that is a pretty short sighted view. The Oilers need to improve no doubt. BUT the team still has huge holes. Size and center depth are both weaknesses. RyJo could solve both issues. Is there risk? Of course but no risk and no reward. And trying to get him now will be much easier than if he breaks out. I might not move Gagner for him. It i would move Hemsky in a heartbeat. Trade MPS for Niedereiter and see if they. An regain their junior chemistry. I'd they do BOOM! If not they help out the Barons and or help form a good 3rd or 4th line. He's worth the risk for me. A line of Yak-RyJo-Niño could be sweet.
They wouldn't take Hemsky for Johansen, makes no sense for their rebuild. Gagner maybe, he's still young.

I'd do it, I like Sam, but long term I don't see him as a fit here.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
In my opinion that is a pretty short sighted view. The Oilers need to improve no doubt. BUT the team still has huge holes. Size and center depth are both weaknesses. RyJo could solve both issues. Is there risk? Of course but no risk and no reward. And trying to get him now will be much easier than if he breaks out. I might not move Gagner for him. I would move Hemsky in a heartbeat. Trade MPS for Niedereiter and see if they can regain their junior chemistry. If they do BOOM! If not they help out the Barons and or help form a good 3rd or 4th line. He's worth the risk for me. A line of Yak-RyJo-Niño could be sweet.
Huge holes that need to be filled by actual NHL calibre hockey players.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 PM
DJ EarWax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I can't think of many teams lower on the list of teams for Ovi than Edmonton actually. Maybe the Isles.
Calgary. I can't think of any players list they wouldn't be near the bottom or dead last at this point.

Closed Thread