HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:16 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They wouldn't take Hemsky for Johansen, makes no sense for their rebuild. Gagner maybe, he's still young.

I'd do it, I like Sam, but long term I don't see him as a fit here.
I would do it for Gagner as well but would be dangling Hemsky first.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Huge holes that need to be filled by actual NHL calibre hockey players.
Portzline just said on Gregors show that Johansen was their best forward for CLB first 7 games. He got demoted to shake up the team and their veterans. So he looks like an NHL player to me.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
frag2

Quote:
They wouldn't take Hemsky for Johansen, makes no sense for their rebuild. Gagner maybe, he's still young.

I'd do it, I like Sam, but long term I don't see him as a fit here.
And Johansen would? I don't know if many Oiler fans can still stomach waiting for Johansen to become an NHLer. Adding Johansen, IMO, would be 1 step forward 2 steps back. Sure, he may become the player we hoped he'd be but how long do we wait?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
GatoradeG*

If they are in a good spot by the deadline I hope Tambo deals some prospects to fill holes or make a splash.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
And Johansen would? I don't know if many Oiler fans can still stomach waiting for Johansen to become an NHLer. Adding Johansen, IMO, would be 1 step forward 2 steps back. Sure, he may become the player we hoped he'd be but how long do we wait?
He's a year older than RNH almost, I don't think this is some 5 year project or something.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:30 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
We don't need Johansen.

Pass.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Portzline just said on Gregors show that Johansen was their best forward for CLB first 7 games. He got demoted to shake up the team and their veterans. So he looks like an NHL player to me.
I don't understand this logic.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I don't understand this logic.
I'm just the messenger not the shrink. Portzline didn't understand it either but said he could be demoted but the veterans couldn't so maybe that is the reason the move was made. Go listen to the damn podcast and you figure it out

Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
I'm just the messenger not the shrink. Portzline didn't understand it either but said he could be demoted but the veterans couldn't so maybe that is the reason the move was made. Go listen to the damn podcast and you figure it out
Holy cow calm down. I didn't say anything to insult you personally.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:54 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
He's a year older than RNH almost, I don't think this is some 5 year project or something.
Another way to look at it would be Gagner's only 3 years older than RJ and has 208 more career points. He's big, but his offense isn't yet top 6 calibre. Even Arcobello has a higher AHL PPG this year than RJ

Old
02-08-2013, 09:02 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
We don't need Johansen.

Pass.
We don't need a big RH shot centre? News to me.

Doesn't matter though, since the Jackets won't deal him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Unless we give up Gagner + Defensive prospect, I don't see us getting Johansen.

I don't think Johansen is worth it.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
We don't need a big RH shot centre? News to me.

Doesn't matter though, since the Jackets won't deal him.
Where is Johansen going to play in our lineup?

Top six? Laughable.

Bottom six? Not worth paying what Columbus will ask for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

I wouldn't trade Gagner for Johansen. He hasn't proven anything yet, the trade would definitely make us worse right now.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Somebody needs anger management. It's called a discussion.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Uh he's the same age as most of our kids, lol. We're not competing for a Cup this year, at best we're a bubble team for an 8th seed and that's if almost everything goes right for us.

I think a lot of Gagner's offence is gravy anyway, he gets it by riding shot gun off more talented players.

I'd take Johansen and then pick up Connolly from the Leafs for the year, he can replace most of the production Gagner brings and serve as a stop gap.

I think Columbus would be the one saying no though.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Gagner's last two points are secondary assists but I wouldn't call his offence "gravy" so far this year. Without his 11 points and Yakupov's finish our already paltry offense is next to nothing.

After the first six games David Staples had Gagner right up there with Hall, RNH and Eberle in chances generated.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Gagner's last two points are secondary assists bur I wouldn't call his offence "gravy" so far this year. Without his 11 points and Yakupov's finish our already paltry offense is next to nothing.

After the first six games David Staples had Gagner right up there with Hall, RNH and Eberle in chances generated.
Sam always has his hot 5-6 game stretches where he generates something and then reverts back to being weak/ineffective on the puck and easy for opponents to shut down. Hemsky and Yakupov drive that line.

If the Oilers are picking 5-7 in the draft, my guess is they will target a big center.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:59 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Where is Johansen going to play in our lineup?

Top six? Laughable.

Bottom six? Not worth paying what Columbus will ask for him.
I think you have a pretty short sighted view IMO.

This team is years away from winning anything, and Johansen has top 6 potential while bringing size and skill.

It's pretty obvious the Oilers management are high on him.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Man, years away from winning anything. This certainly isn't the Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA model.

Quote:
Sam always has his hot 5-6 game stretches where he generates something and then reverts back to being weak/ineffective on the puck and easy for opponents to shut down. Hemsky and Yakupov drive that line.

If the Oilers are picking 5-7 in the draft, my guess is they will target a big center.
Maybe they are now but they most certainly weren't over the first 5, 6 games. I'm willing to bet that Hall's goal slump ends tomorrow with Gagner on his line.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Lets keep it civil. Personal attacks aren't tolerated and will result in you being removed from the thread.

I really like the Brouwer idea though. I know he'd cost us a bit in terms of assets, but I think he'd be a good addition to the team. He's played LW on the 'Hawks, scored 22, 17 and 18 goals the last 3 seasons. He does alot of the dirty work we've been missing too.

If we could add him, and say a #2/3 C(you know the ones I'm talking about) to the team, I think our forward depth would be immense. Give us the ability to possibly roll 2-2.5 scoring lines. Which would be good.

02-08-2013, 10:09 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
The Oilers Report ‏@OilersReport
Just a thought... Would Sam Gagner fetch a Ryan Johansen out of Columbus? Might need to add to deal. Future #1 centre who is 6,2.. #oilers
Gagner is proving size isnt as important as everyone seems to think, at least not for a centre.
Don't trade our top scorer, would be foolish. We need another centre for this season though. Rnh may end up resting or surgery so we should be prepared. In the event we have too many centres Sam also plays wing and quite well if I remember correctly.
Unless of course Hall or Eberle gives centre a go then were set.

Gagner IS a second line centre and so far darn good! I'm on the Samwagon.

Where's the huge deal we were supposed to have way back which was to cost us none of our best? Propoganda to keep fans interested I suppose. I want a blockbuster trade and I want it now!

Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I will certainly concede that the overall consensus on Gagner is that he'd be on a wing on almost every other team in the league. That's a problem.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Gagner is proving size isnt as important as everyone seems to think, at least not for a centre.
Don't trade our top scorer, would be foolish. We need another centre for this season though. Rnh may end up resting or surgery so we should be prepared. In the event we have too many centres Sam also plays wing and quite well if I remember correctly.
Unless of course Hall or Eberle gives centre a go then were set.

Gagner IS a second line centre and so far darn good! I'm on the Samwagon.

Where's the huge deal we were supposed to have way back which was to cost us none of our best? Propoganda to keep fans interested I suppose. I want a blockbuster trade and I want it now!
Apparently that deal depended on if the amnesty buyouts were effective immediately after the lockout. From what I understand something could still happen in the off season.

I kind of doubt it though. Tambellini might work on the bottom 6 and defense but he's not doing anything drastic, never does.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 PM
SDig14

Problem is the amnesty buyouts ended up being applicable before this season through accelerated process.

Yet we still didn't see a deal, for some reason Stauffer suggested it needed to be in December. Apparently deals magically disappear a month later...

Closed Thread