HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Half Way Through the Season, Will the Sharks make the playoffs?

View Poll Results: Will the Sharks make the playoffs?
Yes 55 53.92%
No 47 46.08%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-12-2013, 12:57 AM
sharklife25

vCash: 500
Half Way Through the Season, Will the Sharks make the playoffs?

Just vote yes or no

I think they will!

sharklife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:36 AM
sjshark91

Talk about a hard poll.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Short answer: Yes

I'll give my long answer later.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:20 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Yes, they'll sneak in on the strength of a whole bunch of OT losses, then lose in round 1 in 5 games. Sigh...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Yes, they'll sneak in on the strength of a whole bunch of OT losses, then lose in round 1 in 5 games. Sigh...
This is my prediction.

I'm hoping they don't though. I know that blows for revenue purposes, but if they make it it's just going to be another one-and-done with DW still thinking they're only a piece away. Sigh.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
stator

They will either sneak in or sneak out of the playoffs. Making the playoffs as a low seeded team is not that much of an accomplishment. Half the conference makes it, and next season more than half will.

The Sharks have the 2nd longest running streak of playoff appearances right now at 8 seasons. However, they are the only ones in the top 4 without a cup, and more so without making a Stanley Cup finals appearance. This stat does not speaking highly on Doug Wilson and is one of the reasons why Hasso needs to act.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by stator View Post
They will either sneak in or sneak out of the playoffs. Making the playoffs as a low seeded team is not that much of an accomplishment.
The Kings say hi.

It doesn't really matter what seed you are if you get in, all about matchups and who's playing hot. I'm not suggesting that the Sharks will go on a big run but it is an accomplishment to make the playoffs because anything can and does happen.

Having said that, I think the Sharks are one and done.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
The Kings say hi.

It doesn't really matter what seed you are if you get in, all about matchups and who's playing hot. I'm not suggesting that the Sharks will go on a big run but it is an accomplishment to make the playoffs because anything can and does happen.

Having said that, I think the Sharks are one and done.
yup, the oilers say hi from a few years back also. philly even says hi from 2009-10 season. same goes for the canadiens in the same season.

being a low seed and getting to the conference finals/finals is alot more common then most people think.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

30th overall pick!
by trading Clowe to Chicago at the TDL

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
theotis77

Looking more and more like they'll lose their way into the playoffs thanks to the Pity Point.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
The Kings say hi.
It doesn't really matter what seed you are if you get in, all about matchups and who's playing hot.
Playoffs should never be about who happens to be on a hot streak at the end of year. It should be about who's been playing the best all year. Otherwise, lets through out the games most of the year and only count the last month of the season.

My view is that the NHL needs to change the playoff format, but did not do so.

What I would like to see is.

1- The four division winners get a bye for the first round.
2- The two second place division winners play the two conference wild card winners (in conference, not division) in a 3 game format. Match up is seeded, best second place division winner plays least best wild card winner.
3- Those winners play the division winners in a 5 game format.
4- Winners advance to conference finals in 5 game format.
5- Winners advance to Stanley cup finals in a 7-game format.

Winners are determined by the following regular season play:

1- Straight-up win-loss percentag (loss being all losses in regular, OT, or SO)
2- Then OTL wins if needed,
3- Then SO wins if needed.
4- Then other tie breaking stats, or a one-game grunge match for WC tie breaking.

Keep the new alignment the way it is but with:

1- Call them divisions (maybe doing that already but I've seen it announced as 4 conferences distinctly).
2- Align the two western divisions in to the western conference.
3- Align the two eastern divisions similarly.
4- Move one team over to the western conference for balance.

Finally, NHL should expand their version of the MLB rule 5 draft. With a shrinking salary cap, teams rich in prospects will find it easy to continue to do so; helped by the FA restrictions.

I predict that Doug Wilson will not like this world as it is probably a difficult one for him to fit into. He excels in the world of lowered qualifications to enter the playoffs, and less reliance on building farm system/prospects. He's a trader for current NHL players, not potentials.

Last edited by stator: 03-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.
stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
They will make it but it's clear they are not a cup contender.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Playoffs should never be about who happens to be on a hot streak at the end of year. It should be about who's been playing the best all year. Otherwise, lets through out the games most of the year and only count the last month of the season.

2- The two second place division winners play the two wild card winners (in conference, not division) in a 3 game format. Match up is seeded, best second place division winner plays least best wild card winner.
5- Winners advance to Stanley cup finals.

Winners are determined by the following regular season play:

1- Win Loss percentage,
2- Then OTL wins if needed,
3- Then SO wins if needed.
4- Then other tie breaking stats, or a one-game grunge match for WC tie breaking.
so you want to throw out what is known as the hardest, and most grueling playoffs known to pro sports because you think teams who have to beat out 16 other teams to make it into the top 8 shouldn't be champions if they go on a hot streak at the right time.

no matter if you do it your way, or the current way. a hot streak will win you the cup.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Wedontneedroads

Based on their play now, yes with another 1st round exit.

They are just below the Blues, Kings, Ducks, Hawks right around the same level as the Preds, Wings, Nucks, then there are the Wild, Jackets, Coyotes and even the Stars closely behind. That puts the Sharks in anywhere from 5th to out of the playoffs.

The Sharks have gone from elite to middle of the pack in just a few short years.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
You're confusing the President's Trophy with the Stanley Cup.

Quote:

2- The two second place division winners play the two conference wild card winners (in conference, not division) in a 3 game format. Match up is seeded, best second place division winner plays least best wild card winner.
5- Winners advance to Stanley cup finals in a 7-game format.
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is pretty much the Baseball format, which still is definitely won by teams getting hot at the right time: See Giants 2012. I love them, but you are stupid if you consider them to have "played the best throughout the year." They played well, made the playoffs, and then went on a tear and won it.

The playoffs are 7 game series to control for volatility. It's generally agreed that in any game any team can win, but also agreed that playing 7 games, the "better" team tends to win the most games.

You claim to want to eliminate hot streaks, and yet you have shorter series, specifically an upset in 3 games (2 wins required) is much more likely to happen due to luck than an upset in 7 games (4 wins required). Specifically, to win the championship in you set up, a team (at most) needs 12 wins (10 for non-wild card), whereas in the current POs a team needs 16 wins. So I'm not really sure how you think your set up will actually lead to the "better team" winning it more than a team on a hot streak, as you've lowered the number of wins necessary to win it all.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
one2gamble

I actually think if they make it, you might be surprised

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM

I think the Sharks will be in the playoffs. I also believe they will make a run for the cup. I know... they cant score for diddly squat. BUT, we all read what Stuey said from Pollack's article. They have strapped down that defense to the point that it is elite status and this is what will carry them in the playoffs. Average PP, elite PK and damn good Goalie is what wins the cup. We have all 3 right now. A few goals here and there and we can have the #4 or #5 slot heading into the playoffs.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is pretty much the Baseball format, which still is definitely won by teams getting hot at the right time: See Giants 2012. I love them, but you are stupid if you consider them to have "played the best throughout the year." They played well, made the playoffs, and then went on a tear and won it.
I was unaware that going down 0-2 in a best of 5 series and then 0-3 in a best of 7 series and coming back to win both is "going on a tear".

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 View Post
I was unaware that going down 0-2 in a best of 5 series and then 0-3 in a best of 7 series and coming back to win both is "going on a tear".
Funny, I thought there were a total of three series they played, and yet you're only talking about two.... Is on a streak of 8-0 to win it all not going on a tear? Would that NOT be right in line with the definition of "getting hot at the right time"?

Old
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
To be fair, the Giants did tie for the 4th best record in all of baseball, were one of the first teams to clinch their division, and were only 4 games off the top mark set by the Nationals.

It's not like they were the Milwaukee Brewers (7th best record in the NL, 15th best in MLB) who barely broke .500.

Which is part of why I'm against the extra wild cards. For baseball, I think 8 playoff teams is a good number. You're right, playoffs are all about getting "hot" at the right time.....so I'd rather the chance for such a "hot" streak in the postseason be given to one of the teams that actually played well during the regular season rather than some 83-79 also-ran who looked mediocre to downright bad for 4 1/2 months, then suddenly finds a groove for the right ten week stretch, and gets crowned champion.

I'd rather the 4th best team hit a groove than the 15th best team

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
murdock1116

I'm not sure we're going to make it. We've been hemorrhaging all season. Slowly sliding down the rankings while other teams close in. When its all said and done we might be a point or two out.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
NathanCouture
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I actually think if they make it, you might be surprised
Can you quantify/qualify this? Surprised on how far they go or how fast they get eliminated?

Nathan Couture has been playing well tonight for Vancouver
NathanCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

I think they will make the playoffs. Also, being optimistic, they may be the team to get hot at the end of the season.

Can HaZ Trainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can HaZ Trainz View Post
I think they will make the playoffs. Also, being optimistic, they may be the team to get hot at the end of the season.
can i have some of what you're smokin?!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
can i have some of what you're smokin?!
Too late, he shared it all with Tmac.