HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DW looking for another winger

Old
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Some smoke that the Isle's might be moving a player shortly after the Thomas trade, we need young fast forwards and they need D.

Sounds like Okposo and Grabner are the most likely options. Demers/Braun for Okposo or Grabner?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:45 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Some smoke that the Isle's might be moving a player shortly after the Thomas trade, we need young fast forwards and they need D.

Sounds like Okposo and Grabner are the most likely options. Demers/Braun for Okposo or Grabner?
Id love either of those players but they will cost a lot more than just Demers or Braun imo.

They both are imo the type of players that we should be looking for though. Especially Grabner

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:47 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:

Getting someone like Grabner is going to crank up the speed that was lost in making roster moves. I think he'd be an ideal player that can slot in on the top-6 and has proven scoring ability, and can catch up with the speed demons on the team. The only problem is I imagine that Grabner has decent value and may be too expensive for our tastes...but god what an ideal player.

Heck, I'd be fine with Matt Read, but given his play as of late...That is most likely going to be a no-no.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Grabner please!

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Buyout DiPietro?

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Dwight Schrude

I really wouldn't want to move Braun or Demers. They're going to be some solid Dmen in the near future. Tons of potential.

Dwight Schrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Islanders are probably moving a player making more than Grabner. I think it's Visnovsky.

Highly doubt Grabner is on the table & definitely not for an unproven guy like Demers or Braun.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Islanders are probably moving a player making more than Grabner. I think it's Visnovsky.

Highly doubt Grabner is on the table & definitely not for an unproven guy like Demers or Braun.
If they are moving Visnovsky then they desperately need D. They can't keep playing their top-2 30+ minutes a night. I think it's unlikely they can trade Vis for another top pairing d-man, most of them have NTC's anyway and would block it.

If they trade Vis they will still need to turn around and trade something they have an excess of (young forwards) for a top-4 dman to help share the load. Demers, Braun, and Murray are very good options for them, especially Demers and Braun. While Grabner, Okposo, etc may have 'more' value, there is still going to be a limited market to choose from. It's a sellers market in this case I suspect.

Another possibility is a 3 way trade, but they are rare and impossible to predict. The whole point is that the Sharks and NYI are likely good trading partners, thats all.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
pappaf2

So if the sharks were able to make a trade for a top 6 winger (grabner, etc) and we had to give up one of Demers or Braun, who would you rather give up?

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
If they are moving Visnovsky then they desperately need D. They can't keep playing their top-2 30+ minutes a night. I think it's unlikely they can trade Vis for another top pairing d-man, most of them have NTC's anyway and would block it.

If they trade Vis they will still need to turn around and trade something they have an excess of (young forwards) for a top-4 dman to help share the load. Demers, Braun, and Murray are very good options for them, especially Demers and Braun. While Grabner, Okposo, etc may have 'more' value, there is still going to be a limited market to choose from. It's a sellers market in this case I suspect.

Another possibility is a 3 way trade, but they are rare and impossible to predict. The whole point is that the Sharks and NYI are likely good trading partners, thats all.
It honestly seems like the Islanders are more interested in gaming the cap than trying to build a better hockey team. I know that sound mean, but that's just what it looks like. If we had a guy making less in salary than his cap hit, NYI & Wang would be all over that. I don't think we have what they're looking for in terms of contracts.

If their org makes a 180 and starts getting interested in actual hockey trades, Braun or Demers for one of their young forwards would make sense. I just can't see that happening any time soon.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
So if the sharks were able to make a trade for a top 6 winger (grabner, etc) and we had to give up one of Demers or Braun, who would you rather give up?
My gut says keep Demers, but it's a coin toss.

Honestly I would trade them both Braun and Murray and keep Irwin and Petrecki up. Robinson says Petrecki is ready and you don't get a better endorsement than that.

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Petrecki
Irwin

We still have Acolotse and Tennyson coming up too

Old
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
My gut says keep Demers, but it's a coin toss.

Honestly I would trade them both Braun and Murray and keep Irwin and Petrecki up. Robinson says Petrecki is ready and you don't get a better endorsement than that.

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Petrecki
Irwin

We still have Acolotse and Tennyson coming up too
Ya it's an interesting situation. I feel Braun (last games blunders aside) has looked solid on both sides of the puck. He skates well and makes chances in the attacking zone. I feel Demers has a better ability to run the attack from the point then Braun and he skates similarly well. I think Demers plays a more physical game which I like, especially once we trade Murry. I think Demers can be more of an impact player that Braun.

That is a good thing to hear about petreki, I'd like to see him play a bit more myself just to see what he's got.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:

they made the Thomas trade to reach the cap floor. They certainly won't trade Grabner.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
they made the Thomas trade to reach the cap floor. They certainly won't trade Grabner.
They did not make the Thomas trade to meet the cap floor; they were already $5-6M above it before that trade. They made the Thomas trade to ensure that they could move Streit/Visnonsky at the deadline if they were out of it.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Robinson says Petrecki is ready and you don't get a better endorsement than that.
That could just be to up his value though. What else can he really say?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
"Petrecki is a bust who should have gone undrafted instead of picked in the 1st round. He's a career AHLer who the Sharks should trade immediately."

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloweture View Post
I really wouldn't want to move Braun or Demers. They're going to be some solid Dmen in the near future. Tons of potential.
Quote:
Yeh, wouldnt want to move either Demers or Braun as well. Can also be that Petrecki 'may' be in some package, 'if' a deal is made, along with Murray or Clowe in some sort of package deal. Or could be a Braun + Murray or Clowe type package and thus moving up Petrecki in the ranks but, I would hope for the first thought. Personally, I really, really hope we do not move Demers. So much upside which we would probably regret later.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 02-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I doubt Larry Robinson is particularly concerned about Petrecki's trade value. If Wilson said it, sure.

He hasn't really gotten a chance to play in a game where it wasn't a complete cluster**** so it's hard for us to tell. Thing is, very unlikely Murray is resigned next season and Petrecki is our best replacement for him. They need to get him in some games and frankly he can't do much more harm than Murray already is anyway. Sharks need to find long term options for Clowe and Murray's spots and giving Petrecki more ice time and a young player to replace Clowe have got to be Wilson's top priorities at the moment.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
I doubt Larry Robinson is particularly concerned about Petrecki's trade value. If Wilson said it, sure.

He hasn't really gotten a chance to play in a game where it wasn't a complete cluster**** so it's hard for us to tell. Thing is, very unlikely Murray is resigned next season and Petrecki is our best replacement for him. They need to get him in some games and frankly he can't do much more harm than Murray already is anyway. Sharks need to find long term options for Clowe and Murray's spots and giving Petrecki more ice time and a young player to replace Clowe have got to be Wilson's top priorities at the moment.
I agree, he really can't be much worse than Murray has been. He's a little faster too.
I'm just bringing up the possibility that it's a PR move on Robinson's part and DW told him to say that. Because what else can he really say? If he says he's not ready, teams that may want a 6th/7th wouldn't want him. It also implies that they should send him down, where any team could take him for free (you can't really have too many d-prospects).

On the actual topic, I'm still not that open in trading either Braun or Demers. Both are huge pieces in the Sharks future d-core.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I agree, he really can't be much worse than Murray has been. He's a little faster too.
I'm just bringing up the possibility that it's a PR move on Robinson's part and DW told him to say that. Because what else can he really say? If he says he's not ready, teams that may want a 6th/7th wouldn't want him. It also implies that they should send him down, where any team could take him for free (you can't really have too many d-prospects).

On the actual topic, I'm still not that open in trading either Braun or Demers. Both are huge pieces in the Sharks future d-core.
It also makes it harder to send him down. If they wanted him to clear they'd say "He's not ready, he needs more time in the AHL" etc. So I don't buy that.

On Demers and Braun, I don't WANT to trade either of them, but it's a numbers game. Vlasic, Burns and Stuart are not going anywhere for atleast 4 years. That leaves 3 full time spots available. Boyle likely will play out his contract as well. We've got Braun/Demers/Irwin all with similar skill sets, then Petrecki, and Acoltse, Tennyson, Abeltshauser all in need of NHL play time in the next couple years.

None of that counts players we might draft this year or 'out of the blue' guys we might see. On the forward side we have Hertl likely ready next season, Nieto a few seasons away, and a bunch of maybes in Stalberg, Hamilton, Oleksuk, etc. We will likely lose Clowe and Handzus next season and need that cap space, so I feel like bringing in a cheap young tweener is more important than hanging onto all 3 of Demers/Braun/Irwin.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
It also makes it harder to send him down. If they wanted him to clear they'd say "He's not ready, he needs more time in the AHL" etc. So I don't buy that..
I disagree. Saying he needs more time in the AHL doesn't mean he'll clear. A team is still just as likely to claim him.

Scenario 1: He's ready to play at the NHL level.
Boosts his trade value, can't send him down.

Scenario 2: He's not ready yet.
Lowers his trade value. You still can't really send him down. He's close enough that he played 1 game at the NHL level (more than you could say for a lot of D-prospects). A team could claim him and hope he pans out in the future (just like the Sharks are hoping if he gets sent down and isn't claimed).

All hypothetical talk though. Who knows what's really going on behind the scenes. They could very well just send him down and not care what happens, since like you noted, they have a ton of d-prospects already. Any trade with him would probably be a package since I don't think he'd get any more than a low round pick alone.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
KirbyDots

Kurz said in his chat that's going on right now that "Sharks scout Jason Rowe has been at just about every Flyers game this season, including last night. I've seen Flyers scout John Chapman at at least two Sharks games, including last game against Chicago."

Also, he thinks that Clowe and Murray are the most likely to be traded.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Kurz said in his chat that's going on right now that "Sharks scout Jason Rowe has been at just about every Flyers game this season, including last night. I've seen Flyers scout John Chapman at at least two Sharks games, including last game against Chicago."

I hope to god he's right for once.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I hope to god he's right for once.
No kidding.

I wonder what the Sharks are looking at from the Flyers. I'd be happy with almost anyone (not the goons or Briere).

Old
02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post

And Clowe and Murray being the type of players Philly likes, and may want against the likes of the Bruins and Pens and Rangers. I am at the belief that if we make a deal with Clowe and/or Murray, it will be with the East and very likely Philly or the Rangers. Could be anybody but, Philly like's players with size and the Rangers really need players with size.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote