HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DW looking for another winger

Old
02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
No disputing the accomplishments of Joe, especially from myself. All here already know my thoughts of big Joe. Just stating, after a couple more seasons, he will be hitting 36 and due to natural decline, Couture will pretty much be the heir apparent. True, Joe in a couple seasons from now, may still be one of the leagues top players, and I myself and my admiration for Thornton as my favourite player am very hopeful of this, the leadership of the Sharks will undoubtedly be shared alongside Couture.
the heir apparent? you think Couture is a #1 center? Gotta love the teal colored glasses here.

If the sharks are going into rebuild and going to blow it up, then blow it up completely, otherwise with Thornton and Marleau they will either just make the playoffs or just miss, thus getting a midling #1 pick.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
the heir apparent? you think Couture is a #1 center? Gotta love the teal colored glasses here.

If the sharks are going into rebuild and going to blow it up, then blow it up completely, otherwise with Thornton and Marleau they will either just make the playoffs or just miss, thus getting a midling #1 pick.
This must partly be DW's strategy.

He knows that players like Marleau and Thornton are incredibly hard to replace. You are very unlikely to get them through free agency; unlikely to get them in any draft, never mind picking during the late stages of them...

So, DW has recognized that the team's window is now; this is there best shot.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
No disputing the accomplishments of Joe, especially from myself. All here already know my thoughts of big Joe. Just stating, after a couple more seasons, he will be hitting 36 and due to natural decline, Couture will pretty much be the heir apparent. True, Joe in a couple seasons from now, may still be one of the leagues top players, and I myself and my admiration for Thornton as my favourite player am very hopeful of this, the leadership of the Sharks will undoubtedly be shared alongside Couture.
Not an English expert, but I believe your use of the word "myself" is incorrect.

Personally, I would wager on Marleau declining, but not Thornton. Thornton's cerebral game should get better with age; Marleau's legs have to give away eventually; players like Selanne are the exception more than the rule.

I haven't given too much of a thought to leadership. From the stands, it seems that the leaders of this team are Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, and Boyle. So there may be a dearth of that in the system...then again, it is very possible that players like Wingels and Demers grow into leadership as they advance through the system.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Not an English expert, but I believe your use of the word "myself" is incorrect.

Personally, I would wager on Marleau declining, but not Thornton. Thornton's cerebral game should get better with age; Marleau's legs have to give away eventually; players like Selanne are the exception more than the rule.

I haven't given too much of a thought to leadership. From the stands, it seems that the leaders of this team are Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, and Boyle. So there may be a dearth of that in the system...then again, it is very possible that players like Wingels and Demers grow into leadership as they advance through the system.
At work/typing quickly/people around = I apologize. On Marleau, you don't think he would re-sign at a paycut? It will be interesting to see when the time comes. I would hope he does but, it will be intersting to say the least.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
At work/typing quickly/people around = I apologize. On Marleau, you don't think he would re-sign at a paycut? It will be interesting to see when the time comes. I would hope he does but, it will be intersting to say the least.
My worry with Marleau isn't that he won't stay with the team, it is his level of contribute. Marleau is currently an incredibly productive, elite player. If he falls off too much (and there is a higher chance that that will happen), the team will be hard-pressed to replace his contributions.

If Marleau drops to a 50-point forward and signs for 3-4 million, that is great, but I am more worried about replacing that lost productivity. Especially since signing free agents to sensible deals is very difficult.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
glasgow26

Quote:

Is that really a ridiculous notion? Couture is a very good second-line center at the moment and he's only 23 years old. He already has two 30-goal seasons under his belt and currently has 12 points in 15 games this year. It is not unrealistic to predict that he can become a #1 center within the next couple years. He still has untapped potential and has yet to hit his prime. By the time Thornton is starting to decline, Couture will be our #1 center.

glasgow26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
My worry with Marleau isn't that he won't stay with the team, it is his level of contribute. Marleau is currently an incredibly productive, elite player. If he falls off too much (and there is a higher chance that that will happen), the team will be hard-pressed to replace his contributions.

If Marleau drops to a 50-point forward and signs for 3-4 million, that is great, but I am more worried about replacing that lost productivity. Especially since signing free agents to sensible deals is very difficult.
I have a problem calling Marleau an elite player because of his consistency, or lack thereof.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I have a problem calling Marleau an elite player because of his consistency, or lack thereof.
Hasn't this been debunked?

Marleau does seem to struggle against certain teams...

Old
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Hasn't this been debunked?

Marleau does seem to struggle against certain teams...
Yes, it has been. The "Marleau inconsistent" thing is just a narrative that people who don't like Marleau hand on to.

However, your second point is true too, there are a couple of teams he struggles against, and for whatever reason won't do anything to fix it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
TealManV
A man has said

I've always been a big fan of Nino Niederreitter and was hoping that DW would have made a move up to draft him a few years back. Now he reportedly wants a deal because the Islanders are keeping him in the minors. The Isles could use a good, young, puck moving d-man and we could use a good, young, talented winger. Maybe a Demers for Nino? Thoughts?

TealManV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
I've always been a big fan of Nino Niederreitter and was hoping that DW would have made a move up to draft him a few years back. Now he reportedly wants a deal because the Islanders are keeping him in the minors. The Isles could use a good, young, puck moving d-man and we could use a good, young, talented winger. Maybe a Demers for Nino? Thoughts?
I would like this, but I've been told that I am completely biased towards Swiss players.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
lsx

Boyle isn't going anywhere.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I would like this, but I've been told that I am completely biased towards Swiss players.
Depending on how well Fasth does, Hiller might be on the block after this season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
eastbayjoker

What about Brian Rolston?

Great wheels (even at 40) and could be had cheap. Played for Larry Robinson in NJ. Veteran presence. Short-handed threat.

Am I hopped up on goofballs here? Seems like the kind of move DW would make. I'd rather see him than Galiardi or (Mr. Goose Egg) Burish.

eastbayjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Nope.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
hockeyball

I'm not ready to give up Galiardi just yet, and there is no reason to. I think he's just mostly lacking confidence and chemistry. Burish on the other hand can't pack his bags quick enough, and Clowe hasn't played for the Sharks in over a year from what I can tell.

I don't know that we need to replace Burish though, it's not like he's really 'tough' anyway, plus there is no way anyone is going to trade for him so the best we can hope for is the bench.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
eastbayjoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nope.
Nope I'm not hopped up on goofballs or Nope to the signing? Or Nope I wasn't talking to you anyway...

Old
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Nope, not interested in Rolston.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm not ready to give up Galiardi just yet, and there is no reason to. I think he's just mostly lacking confidence and chemistry. Burish on the other hand can't pack his bags quick enough, and Clowe hasn't played for the Sharks in over a year from what I can tell.

I don't know that we need to replace Burish though, it's not like he's really 'tough' anyway, plus there is no way anyone is going to trade for him so the best we can hope for is the bench.
We can't trade Burish, he's the fastest guy in the bottom 6!!!!

CrazedZooChimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
eastbayjoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nope, not interested in Rolston.
Fair enough. I still think Rolston is the player Torrey Mitchell was supposed to become, but with good hands.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbayjoker View Post
Fair enough. I still think Rolston is the player Torrey Mitchell was supposed to become, but with good hands.
I think that Torrey Mitchell became all he was supposed to me....he just never had the hands, and that is a fundamentally different player.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
hockeyball

The player we need is Eberle

Seriously though, Read, Grabner, Okposo, Korpikoski... Those are the kinds of guys I'd love to steal from someone.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:20 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
So, DW has recognized that the team's window is now; this is there best shot.
Quote:
You misspelled the word "their" haha.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
You misspelled the word "their" haha.
At least I have the excuse that English isn't my mother-tongue.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The player we need is Eberle

Seriously though, Read, Grabner, Okposo, Korpikoski... Those are the kinds of guys I'd love to steal from someone.
Read's out for 6 weeks, poor dude.