HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DW looking for another winger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
  #176
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 33,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Seriously. I mean I loved the hard hits and decent wheels but c'mon guys, he's the same **** plug we already got in spades dragging down our bottom two lines. McGinn is nothing special, TJ's looking like a close cousin, Winnik is a tool, and the jury's still out on Captain Scarbossa. And Doug Wilson's worst trade? No way - it wasn't a good move but I call shenanigans (and I, much unlike a certain posse of posters around here, think Doug's been decent on the trade front, but yeah, he's done worse.)
I love your use of the word posse here and I'm in yours on this one.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
  #177
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,919
vCash: 500
People are upset that we traded McGinn? Dude had stone hands.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
  #178
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,839
vCash: 500
he's better than Galiardi who has been pretty much useless so far this season

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
  #179
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,672
vCash: 500
Doug Wilson has been good on the trade front. He's not perfect but nobody will be. He does have some whiffs. I think it's too early on the McGinn-Galiardi trade. Thus far, our sample size for the two of them was the couple months last year and this shortened season where things will fluctuate a lot. Both are not normal circumstances that you can legitimately judge a young player. Next season will be the best chance to judge them when it gets back to normal and both have had time to adjust to their new places.

I only want the team to hold off on trading their 1st round picks for the next couple years. They need them to draft some promising young players for the future more than getting a depth player for a single run.

I probably wouldn't bother making a rental trade at all this year with how crazy it's going to be. The only thing that would make any sense is trading youth for youth if it makes sense for our lineup now. Like a Demers or Braun for a forward that is a similar age. However, even that's a tough sell for me because I want to keep both and trade Boyle in the off-season.

I'm still in the wait-it-out phase for pretty much everyone right now and am in the camp of just letting the season play out with no trades and let things fall where they may. It would be foolish to lose futures for a rental this year, I feel.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
  #180
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
McGinn was horrible in San Jose. It's not Doug's fault that he has stepped it up in Colorado, he was horrible here. Just awful and completely useless.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
  #181
Dicdonya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Except he's playing in the Top-6 right now. There is no guarantee that he'd be doing that if he was in the Sharks bottom-6. The bottom-6 might actually be worse since he's a worse board player and he's worse defensively than Galiardi.
Um.. not sure if you are confusing what I'm saying with someone else, or really are just trying to make a case based completely on things I have not said.

Where in the post you quoted me did I say mcginn is not in their top 6? Where did I say he would be guaranteed to do the same in our bottom six. Stop creating false depictions of what I said.

Yes he's in their top six, that's why I bring up him having more points then two players in our top six(havlat/clowe). I bring it up because if he really has no place in a top six and has stone hands, or low hockey iq, or any of the other knocks on his game that people bring up, then why is he outproducing players on his owns teams top lines and also some on ours. He has the same ppg this year and last in top six minutes. So how can you say he doesn't belong when so far he has done nothing but produce at a decent rate in the top six.

The only argument people bring up is that he never produced in our top six, I've never said he did nor did I even say he would, just that so far in top six minutes in Colorado he has done pretty good for himself. I know that could change as he's only played 25 games for them, but you cannot argue that so far he's done well for himself up there. We will never know if he could have done well in out top six this year since he never got a real chance to do it last year when he was actually playing well, and now he's somewhere else.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
  #182
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways
 
Oppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 500
I rather miss Sgarbossa more than O'McGinn? no?

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
  #183
68 Z-28
Registered User
 
68 Z-28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 500
Who would we want from Philly?

Quote:
Kevin Kurz (@KKurzCSN)
2/5/13 8:33 PM
Good seeing #Flyers scout John Chapman in the house tonight. Now there's a team that could use a puck-moving defenseman…just sayin'.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:59 AM
  #184
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,466
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 View Post
Who would we want from Philly?
Any of the young forwards, really. The guy I want most is Voracek, but the guy we're likely after is Read (considering cap).

I imagine Philly would be interested in Demers and Clowe. Too bad Demers was a scratch.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 AM
  #185
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,937
vCash: 500
Maybe they were interested in Braun. "Were" being the key-word.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:39 AM
  #186
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,466
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Maybe they were interested in Braun. "Were" being the key-word.
Yeah, not JB's greatest game as a Shark.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
  #187
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Any of the young forwards, really. The guy I want most is Voracek, but the guy we're likely after is Read (considering cap).

I imagine Philly would be interested in Demers and Clowe. Too bad Demers was a scratch.
Maybe that's why Demers was scratched!...

Seriously though, I think Demers was scratched not because of his play but because of the back-to-backs and them wanting to ease him back into the line-up. Probably still a stupid call.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
  #188
Man in the Mirror
Registered User
 
Man in the Mirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
doug murray for tyler kennedy/chimera/abdelkader/macarthur/comeau/any other struggling winger

Man in the Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
  #189
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Maybe that's why Demers was scratched!...

Seriously though, I think Demers was scratched not because of his play but because of the back-to-backs and them wanting to ease him back into the line-up. Probably still a stupid call.
They need to figure out their D situation and stick with something. That said, he had a hurt wrist, dude wasnt a cripple. I dont see why he would be "tired".

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
  #190
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Any of the young forwards, really. The guy I want most is Voracek, but the guy we're likely after is Read (considering cap).

I imagine Philly would be interested in Demers and Clowe. Too bad Demers was a scratch.
I've been thinking Read as well. He had quite a introduction last season. I think it would be worth it.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  #191
DarrylshutzSydor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Country: Palestine
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Maybe that's why Demers was scratched!...

Seriously though, I think Demers was scratched not because of his play but because of the back-to-backs and them wanting to ease him back into the line-up. Probably still a stupid call.
Mclellen doesn't like Demers.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
  #192
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Mirror View Post
doug murray for tyler kennedy/chimera/abdelkader/macarthur/comeau/any other struggling winger


At this point I'd be happy to ship him out for a pick just to force TMac to play Demers on a regular basis.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
  #193
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Demurs is gonna be traded to Philly, probably for somebody good. Koala likes Murray, end of story; he'll be a career Shark.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:20 PM
  #194
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Doug Wilson has been good on the trade front. He's not perfect but nobody will be. He does have some whiffs. I think it's too early on the McGinn-Galiardi trade. Thus far, our sample size for the two of them was the couple months last year and this shortened season where things will fluctuate a lot. Both are not normal circumstances that you can legitimately judge a young player. Next season will be the best chance to judge them when it gets back to normal and both have had time to adjust to their new places.

I only want the team to hold off on trading their 1st round picks for the next couple years. They need them to draft some promising young players for the future more than getting a depth player for a single run.

I probably wouldn't bother making a rental trade at all this year with how crazy it's going to be. The only thing that would make any sense is trading youth for youth if it makes sense for our lineup now. Like a Demers or Braun for a forward that is a similar age. However, even that's a tough sell for me because I want to keep both and trade Boyle in the off-season.

I'm still in the wait-it-out phase for pretty much everyone right now and am in the camp of just letting the season play out with no trades and let things fall where they may. It would be foolish to lose futures for a rental this year, I feel.
I have felt this way for a couple of years.

IMO, Burish was a whiff and that is in retrospect because of the CBA transition. IMO, the dollars that will come off each team's cap will come out of the bottom six and bottom pair. There with will be less money to go around for lesser players and DW is tied up with Burish for 4 years. IIRC, they can't do buyouts on low end players either. He will likely be looking for Gomez type deals, reclamation projects when he has to replace Handzus, etc. Clowe will likely take a cut unless he brings up his production. There will be less forgiveness for bad years for a couple of years because a lot of teams are up against the cap.

I think losing Boyle will cut into the Sharks place in the standings. Team performance is worse when he is playing injured and/or out of the lineup. One way to tank. I am not in love with Boyle but his effect is noticeable.

On McGinn, he may be thriving because the Avs are more of a transition team. I would check McGinn's possession stats with the Avs (I haven't) to get a better picture of his performance over and above his points.

I think that DW has dug himself a big hole as he isn't getting enough guys out of Woostah for the bottom six and he is oversubscribed on drafting dmen (and goalies). Between trades and drafting he isn't creating a large enough pond from which to fish for keepers. He is filling with other teams' rejects just to keep Woostah going and that is not a prescription for NHL success.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  #195
CBJenga
Registered User
 
CBJenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
IIRC, they can't do buyouts on low end players either.
I thought that was only for the pre-amnesty-buyout buyouts (Gomez/Redden) and that once the real period starts anyone is fair game, but I could totally be wrong.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
  #196
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Maybe that's why Demers was scratched!...

Seriously though, I think Demers was scratched not because of his play but because of the back-to-backs and them wanting to ease him back into the line-up. Probably still a stupid call.
Sure its not because of TMacs mancrush on Douglas Murray? Dude doesn't have the balls to roll with Vlasic,Stuart, Braun, Demers, Boyle and Irwin.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
  #197
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
bullslugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cali central valley
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Sure its not because of TMacs mancrush on Douglas Murray? Dude doesn't have the balls to roll with Vlasic,Stuart, Braun, Demers, Boyle and Irwin.
I think that he is afraid of Murray & clowe, who both need to sit IMO.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  #198
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
We're going to need depth on the D come the playoffs and, some strength players at the back (Stuart, Murray) especially if getting opponents such as the Blues again, Canucks; etc. In other words, i'd much rather move the likes of Clowe (and Burish in some package if we could) first. Plus, if we deal with a team such as Philly or the Rangers (whom really need some size up front), we'd get much more of a return.


Last edited by 19sharks19: 02-06-2013 at 04:32 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
  #199
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
We're going to need depth on the D come the playoffs and, some strength players at the back (Stuart, Murray) especially if getting opponents such as the Blues again, Canucks; etc. In other words, i'd much rather move the likes of Clowe (and Burish in some package if we could) first. Plus, if we deal with a team such as Philly or the Rangers (whom really need some size up front), we'd get much more of a return.
You know what's a good gameplan against those teams? Maintain pressure in the offensive zone and have guys fast enough to win puck races. Too bad Murray can't do either all that well.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
  #200
CBJenga
Registered User
 
CBJenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
We're going to need depth on the D come the playoffs and, some strength players at the back (Stuart, Murray) especially if getting opponents such as the Blues again, Canucks; etc. In other words, i'd much rather move the likes of Clowe (and Burish in some package if we could) first. Plus, if we deal with a team such as Philly or the Rangers (whom really need some size up front), we'd get much more of a return.
Murray is not helpful against either of those teams..... The transition game is, the break out is, puck possession is, none of which Murray is even average at.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.