HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - The Single Hat

Old
02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
vodeni

vCash: 500
our defense has been solid, Both 92 and 29, seem in good shape, no problems here,

I've been all over Koon, but four goals, that doesn't come every day, finally some quick releases, good work in front of the net, he definitively strives on Sid's energy all you can ask for.

I liked Boychuk's speed, his hands ain't bad either..however I am dissapointed with 71 and 18, they cannot make any time in the offensive zone, the puck goes away in a hurry, would like to hear from someone who understands this, how do you fix , is it effort, or is it the system...we need their pressure,

+Liked 3rd line, 4th line is all about JV, would like to see what he would do with Malkin or Sid, but I know 's not to happen

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
KIRK, can you please just change your username to "STRETCH PASS BAD" so I can save some time when looking for your postgame comments after a huge win?
Will that fit?

If it will, then I'll do it if you change your name to "REGULAR SEASON EQUALS PLAYOFFS".

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Don't go there, RRP. That's a cop out post that you usually do not do. Don't make me get into a 3 hour debate about stretch passes!
And you'd have a valid point.

The problem is, transferring technical niggles into full blown nonsense like losing the room, Geno wanting out of dodge, bylsma being responsible for the deficit...

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Does that extend to confirming whether the sense of security is real or (yet again) false?

When Cole harps on the stretch passes and the breakouts, I think he's implicitly addressing this subject and its annual application to the playoffs.

Then again, you may be right. I'm sure you are. After all, it was a pair of blowouts this weekend.
I'm sure if the Pens don't win the Cup this year, that's what it'll come back to.

Listen, no matter what happens this year, the talk about Bylsma losing Crosby, Malkin, and the whole room was clearly bogus. Whatever criticisms people have of DB's system, it's pretty obvious that the team is dedicated to it and they look formidable when executing it well.

Stretch passes notwithstanding.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And you'd have a valid point.

The problem is, transferring technical niggles into full blown nonsense like losing the room, Geno wanting out of dodge, bylsma being responsible for the deficit...
Well, since 'Geno wanting out of dodge' is your interpretation of my saying 'it's not inconceivable that Geno doesn't automatically resign if the Pens go one and done in the playoffs again and changes aren't made', then the only problem here would be your perpetual embrace of the hyperbolic straw man.

Quote:
I'm sure if the Pens don't win the Cup this year, that's what it'll come back to.

Listen, no matter what happens this year, the talk about Bylsma losing Crosby, Malkin, and the whole room was clearly bogus. Whatever criticisms people have of DB's system, it's pretty obvious that the team is dedicated to it and they look formidable when executing it well.

In spite of the stretch passes.
And here's another example. Remember what I said before the NYI game to you. Let's see where it's at in 15 games. I watched the NYI game, said that showed signs of a coach who's lost the room (and Sid and Geno WERE going through the motions in that game), and even then I still voted 15 games when the poll was added?

On the one hand, when someone suggests that you say 'all is well', it's apparently an oversimplification. But, when you do the same, it's perfectly reasonable. I've got no problem being wrong. I want to be wrong about Bylsma, because that means the Pens have a better chance to win when the playoffs come.

But, your 'you saying this MAY be the case means that's what you absolutely, 100% believe to be the case no matter what' really has gotten insulting and, beyond that, is something that I had thought was beneath you. Then again, I thought the same thing of MTLPenFan.

Last edited by KIRK: 02-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Will that fit?

If it will, then I'll do it if you change your name to "REGULAR SEASON EQUALS PLAYOFFS".
I never proclaimed the Pens would tear up the playoffs. I just said it was ridiculous to equate a few bad games at the start of a weird season to the coach losing the room and the continuation of an inevitable downward spiral.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Just checked the standings. Might as well concede defeat to RRP.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Can we please just put Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal? Give Boychuk a chance to play with Crosby and Dupuis.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Well, since 'Geno wanting out of dodge' is your interpretation of my saying 'it's not inconceivable that Geno doesn't automatically resign if the Pens go one and done in the playoffs again and changes aren't made', then the only problem here would be your perpetual embrace of the hyperbolic straw man.
And if he doesn't re-sign, it'll be because of money. Of course, around here it will be blamed on the stretch pass.

You're right, the Pens probably won't win the Cup, as will 28 other teams. If Chicago gets booted first round, will Kane request a trade? What about Detroit, assuming they even make the playoffs? Will datsyuk take Geno with him to Russia?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:

Stretch passes notwithstanding.
They also look a lot more formidable when Crosby looks like Crosby

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Can we please just put Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal? Give Boychuk a chance to play with Crosby and Dupuis.
I want to see this too. And Adams scratched.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
They also look a lot more formidable when Crosby looks like Crosby
Very true.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
umm, after 6 points in two games, is now really the time to move Kunitz? Right now it just doesn't make sense.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
No, he just scored 3-4 goals.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:31 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
umm, after 6 points in two games, is now really the time to move Kunitz? Right now it just doesn't make sense.
Malkin and Neal just look off, and Crosby and Dupius are the main driving factors on that line right now anyway.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Very true.
This is an important point because of the weakness of the offensive guys. When Crosby and Malkin are both playing well (and also the beneficiaries of a little momentum and luck) we are unstoppable. When one of them is off their game we may win regular season games but not playoff series.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
No, he just scored 3-4 goals.
Why the hell do people think it's a demotion or because of anything Kunitz has or hasn't done? Do you think Kunitz will suddenly drop off a cliff when put back on the same line he played with and dominated the NHL with a season ago?

Neal and Malkin just don't look all that great 5v5 right now, and Crosby and Dupuis are the driving factors on that 1st line (even if Dupuis can't finish off anything that Crosby sets him up with).

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Malkin and Neal just look off, and Crosby and Dupius are the main driving factors on that line right now anyway.
How can you say that with how Kunitz has produced the last few games?

Old
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Why the hell do people think it's a demotion or because of anything Kunitz has or hasn't done?
I don't think its a demotion. But its a downgrade for Sid right after he finally gets going with Kunitz being a major part of it.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Sideline

It's nice to see Kunitz giving a damn. Now if we can just wake up TK...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
UnrealMachine

+ Kunitz, really turned things around these past two games. More so today.
+ Crosby, not only is he producing, he is creating lots of scoring chances that really could have gone either way these last two games.
+ Vokoun, can't fault him on any of the goals. That 2nd goal was a 1/1000 fluke bounce. Every goalie is taught to pinch the boards and play those. Not sure what the NBC coaching staff was talking about?
+ Engelland, he needed to up his play and he has.
+ Orpik/Martin, I guess their first 8 games were not a fluke.

- Despres, he has made several mistakes each game, but he paid for them today. He also caused us our timeout by bumbling the puck in our own zone. He needs to simplify his game in the zone and not try to impress with his puckhandling skills.
- Kennedy, poor guy.

+++ Shutting down Ovechkin, I couldn't help but notice how often defenders (F or D) just skate almost parallel with him on the forehand now. This causes him to go to his backhand and the player just stays more or less parallel with him to keep him from getting back to his forehand. Ovechkin had a lot of puck fumbling and turnovers trying to ward this off. Similarly, the PK was revolving about eliminating that cross-ice pass to his forehand and it worked (mostly).

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
This is an important point because of the weakness of the offensive guys. When Crosby and Malkin are both playing well (and also the beneficiaries of a little momentum and luck) we are unstoppable. When one of them is off their game we may win regular season games but not playoff series.
If we have even one of them playing to their ability, I like our chances. Neither did versus Philly.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:36 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I want to see this too. And Adams scratched.
I've seen a few people say this. I mean am I watching the same games as everyone else? To me, Adams has looked great on the 4th line in almost every game so far. I mean I get that people don't like him because of this need to have younger guys in the lineup, but the 4th line shouldn't be tinkered with right now.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Why the hell do people think it's a demotion or because of anything Kunitz has or hasn't done? Do you think Kunitz will suddenly drop off a cliff when put back on the same line he played with and dominated the NHL with a season ago?

Neal and Malkin just don't look all that great 5v5 right now, and Crosby and Dupuis are the driving factors on that 1st line (even if Dupuis can't finish off anything that Crosby sets him up with).
Because merited decisions are usually the best, is that necessary to type? I've certainly read plenty of huffing and puffing about supposedly unmerited ones.

You're advocating messing with what is working to fix another problem that isn't that pressing. It's nonsense and advocating "just give him a chance" when we're experiencing success is backwards.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
mgd525

Quote:

Thats Malkin and Neals problem. Malkin already has Neal, you cant give him Kunitz as well.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote