HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens get screwed

Old
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
No. They lost because Montreal was the better team on ice.
The bottom line is despite Montreal being the better team that game, the Senators got jipped of 1, maybe 2 points.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
I would love to see the league suspend the refs for sucking but then there would be no refs left this year.

Bring back Mick Magoo!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agron
BELIEVE.

wow brutal call

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
QuattroFTW

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but you can't say that if a legitimate goal was disallowed for unexplainable reasons. Had the game been 4-1 Habs or something of that nature then yes you could argue that the disallowed goal was a moot point, but it's not because it was the game-tying goal.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Hadn't seen that.

Not sure I buy the conspiracy, but sometimes you wonder. It'd be easy to tip a game in a teams favor. Might only take one call. Big incentive for refs to not be kosher.
Considering Montreal has been among the most penalized teams in the league the last few years, I doubt there is a conspiracy. Montreal's been burned by the refs plenty of times, as has every team. Ref's make bad calls. It sucks, but it happens.

Both teams got some bad calls and non-calls, they just happened to completely and utterly screw Ottawa with one.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Mackee

Everyone yelling Typical Montreal clearly was not watching the game. There were some horrible calls both ways all game. The Silfverberg penalty was by far the worst but let's not start with this Montreal bias crap.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

When are people going to realize refs are human? Mistakes can happen its a fast game.

The ref has just as much probability of making a bad call against your team then he does against another team. Unless you think the ref has some kind of vendetta against your team and that's a whole different can of worms

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 0
Quote:
I think what he meant was, the goal that was disallowed was the game tying goal and I agree with the sens fan who said that...they deffs lost at least one point because of that.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
For the first period and a half, not the last period and a half thank you very much. Right around the time we tied it and they called it back I thought the Sens were better.
I agree. I actually think that both teams seems soft and shaky and I didn't see much domination but there was no flow in the game cause the refs kept calling penalties.

Old
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I thought Bruins fans of all fanbases would be smarter than that in regards to 'biased' officiating. How many times have players called you guys out over the years? You and I both know that referees aren't purposely biased towards a team, they usually just flat out suck. If I, as a habs fan, can truthfully agree the Bruins get bashed on for no reason and undeservedly when it comes to refereeing then I expect an honest opinion from your fanbase too. And if your honest opinion is that the habs always get biased calls then that is disappointing.
He said that if it's a recurring theme within the NHL coaches/players then maybe there is more to the "typical Montreal" than meets the eye which is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make.
I have a very hard time believing a ref can be intentionally making calls in favour of a team but stranger things have happened.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackee View Post
Everyone yelling Typical Montreal clearly was not watching the game. There were some horrible calls both ways all game. The Silfverberg penalty was by far the worst but let's not start with this Montreal bias crap.
Laviolette said it, so it must be true. Not like he yells things out of rage, or anything...

I figured Sens fans would troll, but it's been every other fan base.

Ottawa got screwed over royally. No need to troll...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The refs have their own disciplinary body, we just don't get to hear about how it works (which I fully understand and am fine with)

But there needs to be some kind of acknowledgement by the NHL that this was inexcusable and that they are going to look into ways to address the issue of horrible goal calls.

There will always be bad calls but when it comes to goal/no-goal calls I think they should review them automatically: if it's obvious the war room won't take long to make the call and they are usually pretty good (like the refs they make mistakes, but they would have made today's goal count)

EDIT: and you certainly do NOT want to make some kind of public shaming event with the ref, we don't need to scare the refs into not making calls because of fear of reprisal, that would be even worse.
Agree there has to be a review process for no goal calls. Thre have been bad calls and even outrageously bad calls just in the last couple of days.Its pretty clear that for whatever reason the on ice refs cant seem to get it right.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
When are people going to realize refs are human? Mistakes can happen its a fast game.

The ref has just as much probability of making a bad call against your team then he does against another team. Unless you think the ref has some kind of vendetta against your team and that's a whole different can of worms
No humans can be this bad for so long, they are cyborgs.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

It's one thing to be human. But humans has a chance, all 4 OF THEM, to talk to each other and decide what's best. At the very worst, and even that would be a bad call, you DON'T penalize a player for that and start over in the middle of the rink.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Honestly this call frustrates me more as a hockey fan than as a Sens fan. It's gotten past the point of yelling "hey my team got screwed" and moved on to wondering wtf they did to this game.

Phantom calls, centers getting kicked every other face-off, inconsistencies everywhere; they're killing the flow of the game with all this BS.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Considering Montreal has been among the most penalized teams in the league the last few years, I doubt there is a conspiracy. Montreal's been burned by the refs plenty of times, as has every team. Ref's make bad calls. It sucks, but it happens.

Both teams got some bad calls and non-calls, they just happened to completely and utterly screw Ottawa with one.
True. I think a big reason why people are making such a big fuss about this is because we all know very well hockey fans are the greatest fans out there. We finally have NHL hockey back after being completely ignored by the league and now that we're just getting a taste of what we love to watch and play we hockey fans are having to put up with garbage officiating against EVERY team that completely ruins the level of excellence that we are fortunate to watch on the ice. How can we the fans truly appreciate hockey at it's highest level if refs are consistently making inexcusably poor calls against all teams?

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:

The part that bothers me the most is that there was no discussion about it the refs and linesmen are allowed to discuss calls. Instead he skates away to infront of the boxes to announce a penalty.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Disclose

vCash: 1000
it sucks when it happens to your team. the refs were bad all game, but this is so frustrating.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I agree. I actually think that both teams seems soft and shaky and I didn't see much domination but there was no flow in the game cause the refs kept calling penalties.
That too, the refs killed the flow multiple times. Damn...glad that's over, it was painful - especially to Sens fans.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Habsurdities

The call is bullocks. However, there's no way to determine what the outcome of a game would have been when a goal is waived.

Source: Back to the Future 1,2 and 3.

Habsurdities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hugo Sham

it was a bad call and hab fans agree - if people are going to troll with idiotic conspiracy theories 'only in montreal' it's going to be a flame war. there were garbage calls both ways ALL day long

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
He said that if it's a recurring theme within the NHL coaches/players then maybe there is more to the "typical Montreal" than meets the eye which is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make.
I have a very hard time believing a ref can be intentionally making calls in favour of a team but stranger things have happened.
Yes, and I said its also a recurring theme for NHL players to call out Boston players for getting away with calls. No one yells 'typical Boston' cause biased refereeing is a myth.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Between the Backes hit, the Kadri goalie interference call, and now Silfverberg's, this is bordering on incompetence.

This needs to be addressed promptly.

What is the NHL going to do? Continue to come out the next morning, essentially apologizing for the glaring mistakes made by their officials.

The heat is on right now.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I thought Bruins fans of all fanbases would be smarter than that in regards to 'biased' officiating. How many times have players called you guys out over the years? You and I both know that referees aren't purposely biased towards a team, they usually just flat out suck. If I, as a habs fan, can truthfully agree the Bruins get bashed on for no reason and undeservedly when it comes to refereeing then I expect an honest opinion from your fanbase too. And if your honest opinion is that the habs always get biased calls then that is disappointing.
It's my honest opinion that refs get intimidated in Montreal, but like I said my opinion is weak because I'm biased. I was just surprised to hear coaches speak out about it too. We shouldn't derail this thread with the "typical Montreal" or conspiracy theories though lol. Refs have been crap this year.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Honestly this call frustrates me more as a hockey fan than as a Sens fan. It's gotten past the point of yelling "hey my team got screwed" and moved on to wondering wtf they did to this game.

Phantom calls, centers getting kicked every other face-off, inconsistencies everywhere; they're killing the flow of the game with all this BS.
Yea it's horrible, it's almost as if they're bad on purpose, maybe the refs are revolting cause they're underpaid? That's my only explanation.