HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Devils 3 - Islander 0: The Bernier and Hedberg Story

Old
02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbroski420 View Post
I went actually. First game I've been to in years and first away game. Row 3 behind the Devils bench.

Got the ice girls in there for ya guys.

Man, Moose played awesome. Every save a loud "MOOOOOOOOOOSE" would be cheered There weren't that many fans, in general, at the Coliseum, but I'd say a quarter of them were Devils fans. Can't believe Bernier got those two goals, wow! Seems like his positioning has really improved.

I was cheering for Clarky the entire game and then he went and got that open netter. Everyone besides the Devils and the fans hate David Clarkson. Refs and whoever we play haha Bobby Butler played well, made sure I got some support screams in there for his first game.

Elias was SO pissed after that chance he had. After a call that Elias didn't like, he was complaining to the refs and when he took a look at P DB, Pete was motioning to tone it down! haha

Seeing Salvador dominate the defensive play was really sweet. He works the boards like no other with such confidence. He looks like a real vet out there. Honestly the game was so well played by both teams, we just got the better chances.

Baby Gio was really hurting after a deflection off the skate and that "Charging" call really got his skates all ****ed up. If it wasn't for that deflection of his skate, he wouldn't have been "drawing" that penalty as much.

It seemed like what Pete told them was to focus on defensive play. Seeing Henry and BG blocking shots and working the slot and points.

Most Isles fans were really cool to talk to. A lot of "Any fan of hockey is a friend of mine." was said by them to me.

I'm sure I could add more to this, but I feel like this is enough for now.

LETS GO DEVILS! MOOOSE
/drunk
Great shot of Pete's bald spot We did do better with the shot blocking today as in we were actually blocking shots instead of letting everything in from the point like we did against Pitt.

Good shot of the star of the game there too, well 2nd star.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
kiwidevil

In this day and age can you survive with a 3rd line C that will put up 10-20 points? Especially if he still struggles clearing the zone like he has.

I'd like to see the stats on how hard of a match ups he has had this year.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
In this day and age can you survive with a 3rd line C that will put up 10-20 points? Especially if he still struggles clearing the zone like he has.

I'd like to see the stats on how hard of a match ups he has had this year.
FMASC can probably dig that out in like 10 seconds. I dunno where you would even find that.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
FMASC can probably dig that out in like 10 seconds. I dunno where you would even find that.
Neither do I. A defensive 3rd is maybe ok in a classic checking line role. But if our 1st and 2nd lines get the hard match ups and he still can't get points and also concede goals like they have. it can't work.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbroski420 View Post
I went actually. First game I've been to in years and first away game. Row 3 behind the Devils bench.

Got the ice girls in there for ya guys.
I bet you Pete was checking out the nice....scenery there.

Barch certainly was like "DAT' ASS".

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Neither do I. A defensive 3rd is maybe ok in a classic checking line role. But if our 1st and 2nd lines get the hard match ups and he still can't get points and also concede goals like they have. it can't work.
The problem is that he's not the 3rd line checking center right now, he's on a 4th line playing with crap on both sides.

His quality of competition (QoC) is towards the bottom of the team: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...6+17+18+19+20#

But he's down there with Cam, Barch and the newly reintroduced Henrique which tells you all you need to know.

He needs to stop pingponging up and down the lineup and get some real linemates.
I won't give up on him.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
SteveCangialosi123

I have no problem with how Josefson has played. He could have easily had a couple of assists the last few games and we all know he's gotten the scoring chances and hasn't finished. He's fine. How about we worry about the guys who get paid the big bucks and have stunk (Kovy, Zajac, and Elias every game except Montreal).

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:41 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I have no problem with how Josefson has played. He could have easily had a couple of assists the last few games and we all know he's gotten the scoring chances and hasn't finished.
That's the thing, I can think of at least a handful of times over the past 8 games where Josefson has set up Carter/Cam/some other junk linemate with a nice pass and they weren't able to finish.

All signs point to him being a great playmaker.... but he sure as hell isn't going to be making them to ****ing Krys Barch.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
VaxjoDevil

I missed the game today but seems like Hedberg had a strong game and our grinder line chipped in. Depth wins games, that's for sure.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:44 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I have no problem with how Josefson has played. He could have easily had a couple of assists the last few games and we all know he's gotten the scoring chances and hasn't finished. He's fine. How about we worry about the guys who get paid the big bucks and have stunk (Kovy, Zajac, and Elias every game except Montreal).
Because they are known quantities and we know they will come around. Because you could say that Kovy has hit two posts that would have won us 2 more games.

Discussing if JJ can be a 3rd line C is genuine argument. he can play pretty solid D, but his failure to clear in critical moments has cost us 2-3 goals and his offense has always been excused by IF he would have finished these chances or he was just unlucky to not have a few assists here.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
That's the thing, I can think of at least a handful of times over the past 8 games where Josefson has set up Carter/Cam/some other junk linemate with a nice pass and they weren't able to finish.

All signs point to him being a great playmaker.... but he sure as hell isn't going to be making them to ****ing Krys Barch.
Exactly. And the kid is 21 for Christ's sake. How could someone be branding him a 20 point player already? That's insane to me. He's looked fine out there while playing with garbage. Give him consistent shifts with at least one decent winger for a few games and then begin to judge.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Devilsfanatic0421
"You're next"

Here is what I'd temporarily do..

Henrique-Zajac-Kovy
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
CBGB
Darche-Yayo-Butler

Roll 4 lines, stopping Kovy from having to double shift. Darche can kill penalties, further scaling back Kovy's minutes.

Devilsfanatic0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:46 PM
yehyeh
Devils.

One of my favorites that I took from tonight. Highly instagram edited...

yehyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Because they are known quantities and we know they will come around. Because you could say that Kovy has hit two posts that would have won us 2 more games.

Discussing if JJ can be a 3rd line C is genuine argument. he can play pretty solid D, but his failure to clear in critical moments has cost us 2-3 goals and his offense has always been excused by IF he would have finished these chances or he was just unlucky to not have a few assists here.
So you can use the "unlucky post shots" argument for Kovy but Josefson gets no such treatment? That doesn't seem fair. Because they are proven players should be more of a reason to be upset at their lack of production. I think he's looked fine offensively. He can really skate and he can set people up nicely. Give him a winger then you can properly judge him.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
devilsblood

I'm fine with Josefson as well. Yes he needs to find an offensive groove, but his skating is stellar is prob our best forechecker and is overall a very good defensive player.

Couple failure's to clear? It's early in the season a couple battles that don't go your way will stick out, but I don't see it as a long term concern.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I missed the game today but seems like Hedberg had a strong game and our grinder line chipped in. Depth wins games, that's for sure.
Hedberg was awesome.

He got 1st star right?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Mgd31

Hedberg has earned the start against the Rangers, but it's Marty and it's the Rangers.

Would love to throw them off with that though.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
kiwidevil

No I am not, but if YOU are going to say Kovy, Elias need to step it up but JJ "could have" more assists?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
No I am not, but if YOU are going to say Kovy, Elias need to step it up but JJ "could have" more assists?
Well JJ is still a young pup, while Kovy is $100 mil star player.

But I think JJ needs to get on track with the scoring. No denying.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:01 PM
manilaNJ

The team has been shaky in both ends of the ice. It was never going to be pretty to start the season, but it's getting to be time for everybody to step it up.

I'm not writing anybody off just yet, not until the team as a whole finds its groove.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:02 PM
kiwidevil

Don't get me wrong I have been highly disappointed with Kovy this year, but if JJ was hitting posts etc. I would give him a pass. But when get's near a scoring chance he almost throws it to the corner in fear.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Josefson could have more assists if the guys receiving the passes were better at finishing. That's a fact lol. Kovy, Zajac, and Elias aren't producing on lines with other good players. They are responsible for their lack of production and they need to be better. Josefson needs to step it up too, but he has been solid in my opinion. He hasn't done anything to show that he can't be a solid playmaker in this league.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Josefson takes a extremely high percentage of defensive zone starts (63.5%) and has been statistically unlucky*: 869 PDO (low on-ice-Sh% + low on-ice-Sv%).

*missing an open net is not bad luck though.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I havent really read through this thread, but what are everyone's thoughts of Butler today?

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:12 PM
manilaNJ

I never really read through GDTs, but I liked what I saw.

One of the better forecheckers, I thought.
Got some PP time and got some nice passes off to keep the play alive.