HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If you were a GM, would you spend No1 overall pick for a russian prospect?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Chukcha

vCash: 500
If you were a GM, would you spend No1 overall pick for a russian prospect?

If this prospect is a Malkin-level player and playing in the KHL with doubtful entering to the NHL in the nearest future?

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Laino

He could be Canadian, if it's doubtful he'll come over I wouldn't take him. If he'll come over in 3-5 years and be a Malkin level player on an ELC for his almost prime years I'd take him and wait.

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Depends who the rest of the draft class is.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Elever
Hth

Depends on the kid but it's wiser to spend a no1 pick on a fwd than a dman even if he is Seth Jones imo (unless you're the Edmonton Oilers or someone, if they land another no1 then they need to draft a damn dman).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Depends on the kid but it's wiser to spend a no1 pick on a fwd than a dman even if he is Seth Jones imo (unless you're the Edmonton Oilers or someone, if they land another no1 then they need to draft a damn dman).
I agree with this, unless there's a noticeable gap between #1 and #2(as there was in 2012).

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Mouse21*

depends on if he played all his junior in canada, which he probably would have if hes #1 overall.

depends on the guys attitude obviously.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
If this prospect is a Malkin-level player and playing in the KHL with doubtful entering to the NHL in the nearest future?
I argued against the NYI taking a Russian early in last season's draft. If had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the KHL being able to offer big contracts. Look at the Radulov situation..he's reportedly making $9m per in the KHL.

The KHL only backed off it's vow to allow players with NHL contracts, to play in the KHL, after stars like Malkin/Ovie/Kovachuk rejected their offers and came back to the NHL.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
I'd consider trading down a couple spots provided that I still have a top 5 pick and have acquire an additional asset.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
I'd consider trading down a couple spots provided that I still have a top 5 pick and have acquire an additional asset.
So you'd trade down your 1st overall Alexander Ovechkin/Evgeni Malkin Russian pick for 5th overall Blake Wheeler and say, 10th overall Boris Valabik..

Great asset management!

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
If he's a Malkin level player, I'd take him. Odds are, the KHL couldn't offer much that the NHL couldn't, in this case. He'd make as much as he wanted.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

In each and every draft, you draft BEST PICK AVAILABLE.

I ignore nationality, my organizational strengths/weaknesses..etc and draft the best player based on their size, skill, and hockey acumen. If I deem a Russian player to be the best player in any given draft, I would draft them.

Contrary to popular belief, Russians are human beings too. Getting drafted #1 overall in an NHL Entry Draft is an outstanding achievement, even for a Russian. Someone tell me how many players have been drafted 1st overall and decided not to play in the NHL.. I think your list will look a lot like this:

nothing.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I argued against the NYI taking a Russian early in last season's draft. If had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the KHL being able to offer big contracts. Look at the Radulov situation..he's reportedly making $9m per in the KHL.

The KHL only backed off it's vow to allow players with NHL contracts, to play in the KHL, after stars like Malkin/Ovie/Kovachuk rejected their offers and came back to the NHL.
9 Million is a bad joke. Nobody earns that much in the KHL.

And the rest is complete nonsense too. The KHL NEVER tried to keep the NHLers and ALWAYS said they would go as soon as the lockout ends.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Atas2000

btw. The Oilers took Yak first. He leads them in goals. What's the big problem?

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
9 Million is a bad joke. Nobody earns that much in the KHL.

And the rest is complete nonsense too. The KHL NEVER tried to keep the NHLers and ALWAYS said they would go as soon as the lockout ends.
People don't seem to understand the negotiation practice known as "posturing."

Old
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I doubt we ever pick a Russian again since what happened with Radulov, but if he's as talented as Malkin we pick him talk about his intentions and maybe trade him to the highest bidder. Or just pic the 2nd best player depending on how far apart they are.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I doubt we ever pick a Russian again since what happened with Radulov, but if he's as talented as Malkin we pick him talk about his intentions and maybe trade him to the highest bidder. Or just pic the 2nd best player depending on how far apart they are.
Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft

Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Arpeggio

If it's doubtful that he comes over, like 80%, then no I wouldn't take him. Why would anyone? It's the same as if a player said he will refuse to play for my team, I'm not just gonna waste an asset.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft
To a team that doesn't, to my knowledge, have any problems with Russians. There is a reason Nashville hasn't drafted one since Radulov, though we haven't had a top ten pick in a while so who's to say we wouldn't draft the bpa.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

You obviously talk to him and his people and if from that you get the impression he isn`t likely to come over for whatever reason, no, you do not waste a #1 pick on him unless it is the kind of draft where your consensus #2 pick is lightyears behind JVR-style. Probably not even then.
If it is just the usual "ohohoh, he is a Russian" kind of doubt, you always always take a Malkin-level player. Pretty much zero chance of having two of those in a draft class.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

If he's unlikely to play then no. Otherwise BPA every time.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
NewFang

Kind of a loaded question. If it's "doubtful" that he'll come over from any league then no i would not use my first overall pick. But the decision would have nothing to do with him being Russian.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Yakupov was drafted by Nashville?! How have I not heard of this?!

In our case, we'd evaluate based on the player's abilities and whether or not he's likely to come over to the NHL. Whether or not he happens to be a Russian citizen matters very little.

Yes, even after Filatov and Zherdev. We do have the most Russians on our team in the NHL last I checked (Anisimov, Tyutin, Nikitin, and Bobrovsky), so it's not a nationality thing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I don't think Columbus would. Howson wasn't going to take Yakupov or Grigorenko according to the Dispatch right before the draft. If Murray was taken 1st overall, Howson was going to trade down and pick up a North American defenseman or someone like Forsberg, maybe Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Dispatch
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson would have traded the No. 2 overall pick - in a heartbeat - if the Edmonton Oilers selected defenseman Ryan Murray and allowed left winger Nail Yakupov to fall into the Blue Jackets' lap.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ed-murray.html

Last edited by Crede777: 02-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Depends on the guy. If he's making noise like Kuznetsov about being indifferent to crossing the ocean, then no, I wouldn't spend a 1st overall on him. But someone like Yakupov never gave the same signals, so I wouldn't bat an eyelash about picking him, Russian or not.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I would ice a team full of Russians and probably win the Cup rather easily. Truly shocked no team has attempted this considering how discounted they've become due to the "Russian Factor" BS.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote