HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hughson,Simpson,Healy

Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
Love Joe.

Hughson generally isn't that bad, but the announcing in Saturday's game was atrocious. No one wants to hear their team slagged off for a solid two hours, even if they aren't playing very well.

I prefer Bob Cole.

Hell, I would prefer neutral broadcasting. Just call the game, please.

If they can't help but inject some subjective analysis of how well a certain team, or a certain player on either team, is performing, make it a positive analysis, not a negative one. I can tolerate hearing how great the Bruins are. But hearing about how poorly the Leafs are playing in comparison is tedious, and gets annoying very quickly.

Send your complaints here: http://www.cbc.ca/contact/
I'm guessing that complaints department was swamped in the past by non Leaf fans on National broadcast having to endure Bob Cole's homer-ism towards the Leafs as his bias is as obvious as Hughson, Healy dislike is.

It's likely the reason for the change being made at CBC away from Cole for HNIC Leaf broadcasts.

Even as a diehard Leaf fan, it was overwhelmingly annoying to see Cole shed bright light on a Leaf performance even on evenings where they were getting hammered by the opponents. I do like the sound of his voice however for broadcasts much more than others, but his Leaf bias also clouds his overall performance when he can't be impartial at least when its warranted via the game or the score in it. Add Don Cherry's intermission Leaf bias and it was likely simply too much LEAFS for many to take.

Hughson, Simpson, Healy made it sound like a 8-0 Leaf loss instead of 1-0, while in turn Cole would have made a 8-0 loss in the past sound like a narrow 1-0 win for the Bruins on the night.. Its two extremes where neither crew did justice for the viewing audience that tunes into watch the game.

Perhaps a 3rd neutral non Leaf bias one way or the other crew would be the best solution for CBC to explore.

02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quick troll & I'm out so no hard feelings.

You guys aren't the only ones. When Habs beat T.O. in the 82nd game last year Healy piped up with, "congradulations, you just handed the Leafs into the top 5 in picks" which is inferring that us that "trying" is a bad thing & shameful. Healy is always happy to point out how stupid we are for gifting the Rangers with McDonagh. He was down on Gionta yesterday for being dirty on Anderson. I suspect the Gionta hate goes back to the Rangers/Devils days.

Yunno, he has a point on certain things but after a certain amount of time passes, you'd think he'd let it go.

So, you guys have allies. CBC not listening to both of our clubs concerns would not be advisable.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Never liked Healy. Even as a goalie.

02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
I didn't mean to be flippant. That's why I changed it, but you are too fast haha. Neither of us knows if that will happen. Things can change pretty quickly in broadcasting. 20 years ago no Habs on Radio Canada would have been unthinkable.
nope neither knows but I'll be shocked if CBC doesn't pay to keep Saturday night hockey because that about their only revenue generator and they may as well close up shop without it.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm guessing that complaints department was swamped in the past by non Leaf fans on National broadcast having to endure Bob Cole's homer-ism towards the Leafs as his bias is as obvious as Hughson, Healy dislike is.

It's likely the reason for the change being made at CBC away from Cole for HNIC Leaf broadcasts.

Even as a diehard Leaf fan, it was overwhelmingly annoying to see Cole shed bright light on a Leaf performance even on evenings where they were getting hammered by the opponents. I do like the sound of his voice however for broadcasts much more than others, but his Leaf bias also clouds his overall performance when he can't be impartial at least when its warranted via the game or the score in it. Add Don Cherry's intermission Leaf bias and it was likely simply too much LEAFS for many to take.

Hughson, Simpson, Healy made it sound like a 8-0 Leaf loss instead of 1-0, while in turn Cole would have made a 8-0 loss in the past sound like a narrow 1-0 win for the Bruins on the night.. Its two extremes where neither crew did justice for the viewing audience that tunes into watch the game.

Perhaps a 3rd neutral non Leaf bias one way or the other crew would be the best solution for CBC to explore.
Agreed on all points.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:35 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:

Bob Cole wasn't biased at all.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Brymas McCaberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post
So, you guys have allies. CBC not listening to both of our clubs concerns would not be advisable.
Well...If there are no changes, we'll always have the Punjabi feed to fall back on!

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Bob Cole wasn't biased at all.
wasn't hard to tell he was a Leaf fan, but he certainly called an unbiased game. guess maybe Bob isn't the only one getting old and having memory issues...

Old
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
wasn't hard to tell he was a Leaf fan, but he certainly called an unbiased game. guess maybe Bob isn't the only one getting old and having memory issues...
I always thought he was a Hab fan?

Listening to him over the years, he seemed to call every game the same regardless of the Teams.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
ungentrified

It isn't the stupid comments that Healy makes that annoy me - I've come to expect him to make at least five or six smarmy comments about the Leafs per game. It is the whole patronizing attitude that Hughson and Simpson have that is annoying though, since they've sometimes come across sounding like the Leafs are a ECHL team that somehow managed to find its way to the NHL.

Considering all the avenues where we are constantly reminded that the Leafs suck - from opposing fans, from print journalists, radio, etc. - the least that the CBC could do to one of their biggest revenue generators is to at least find some people who could call a game without showing their disdain.

ungentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
The apparent dislike for the Leafs is obvious among this crew, but I'm not sure why people let it bother them.

Being a Leaf fan requires thick skin by nature of the beast, as its a requirement that comes with the following.

When our Leafs are winning again some day, the commentary will change accordingly as it will no longer be as easy to take shots at the team. Losing breeds contempt and that is only resolved by winning.

As bad as this group is, the Leaf homer broadcast crew Bob Cole etc. takes things to the opposite extreme in support, and that likely turns off national viewers as much. Therefore likely the reason CBC switches up the announcers on occasion to give a broader perspective to all.. IMO
Thick skin is one thing, but this mob on Saturday night's are actually taking the enjoyment out of a Saturday night telecast. Criticizing the Leafs when they are bad is fine, I'm sure we can all live with it, but they go completely over board. It's not just the criticism of the Leafs, its the non-stop gushing about the opposition.

All we are asking for, is un-bias, fair commentary during the game. Is that too much to ask.

Used to enjoy watching the satellite hot stove on the 2nd intermission, especially when we had Lebrun, Millbury etc. Even that's gone down hill this year.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
KuleminFan41

Its really disappointing that those 3 are rather unprofessional when commentating Leafs games. The worst thing you can do as a tv station is let people who hate the team they commentate . Not saying get some homer to call the games but what Kevin Weeks and whomever or the guys who call the Cannucks or Oilers games. Switch it up because Simpson,Hughson and Healy don't want to call Leafs games but only wait and hope the Leafs lose

When the Leafs score they all seem so depressed and never seem to want to give the Leafs any bit of credit , but its like they celebrate the other teams goals and just want to jump out of their seats or something. It needs to be addressed but sadly it wont. CBC will keep Leafs games and we'll hear from those 3 clowns until they retire

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Superstar

Quote:

That's weird because I swear there's another game after the Leafs game that non-Leafs homers could watch on CBC HNIC -- it was the Canucks vs Hawks game.

You're doing alot of speculation about the complaints department receiving complaints, Mess. Most watchers of HNIC watching the Leafs games are indeed Leafs fans, make no mistake, and the crew should at least, if not homers, be impartial. And no, Bob Cole's homerism is not worse than these 3 at the moment -- he didn't pump up the Leafs like they are Cup champs and he also didn't criticize the other teams like they are garbage, he was just getting old and it was time to move on.

I think Healy really needs to be careful about his criticism of the Leafs on national TV as the Leafs are no longer owned by the passive teachers, but by two giant entities in Bell and Rogers who care about their brand and products (so much so, they made no hesitation in firing Burke).

I agree with a 3rd, non-bias crew.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
that's great.

the question was whether cherry was more of an expert than mckenzie. not who's opinion do you like more.

everybody and their grandmother has an opinion.
I'm sorry I clouded my point with facts, and reason. I'll dumb it down for you: Cherry OK, Bobby Mac better.

How's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
nope he didn't

he spent about 70 years being around the game of hockey at the highest level possible
watching, knowing, being involved with the greatest players to every step foot on an ice rink: bower, richard, orr, howe, sittler, hull, gretzky, lemieux, yzerman, messier. watching the game evolve every step of the way

if you don't like him, ok, im not crazy about him either.
but to say he's not an expert is insulting to the sport
He spent 767 games in the AHL as a player/goon, and 6 seasons as an NHL coach. He took over a Stanley Cup winning team and won zero cups with them in 5 years. He turned a high skill, Stanley Cup winning team into a "lunch pail, Big Bad Bruins" team. A team that didn't win the Cup, that eventually traded away the (at the time) greatest goal scorer in the game, due to fit, and eventually lost the greatest defenseman in the games history. He was then brought to Colorado where he won 19 games in 80, thus ending his illustrious career.

So try to take his 'expertise' with a grain of salt. It might make your opinion more valid. He is an entertainer, with a little bit of professional perspective. I love his segment, and value his opinion as a player supporter. But I don't consider him one of the better 'experts'. The truth is, most of the experts keep their jobs as coaches and GMs in the NHL.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
He spent 767 games in the AHL as a player/goon, and 6 seasons as an NHL coach. He took over a Stanley Cup winning team and won zero cups with them in 5 years. He turned a high skill, Stanley Cup winning team into a "lunch pail, Big Bad Bruins" team. A team that didn't win the Cup, that eventually traded away the (at the time) greatest goal scorer in the game, due to fit, and eventually lost the greatest defenseman in the games history. He was then brought to Colorado where he won 19 games in 80, thus ending his illustrious career.

So try to take his 'expertise' with a grain of salt. It might make your opinion more valid. He is an entertainer, with a little bit of professional perspective. I love his segment, and value his opinion as a player supporter. But I don't consider him one of the better 'experts'. The truth is, most of the experts keep their jobs as coaches and GMs in the NHL.
Agreed on most points.

Except for my "opinion", because I never really expressed one.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

HNiC is currently on CBC. Just like the theme song used to be.

The contract will be open for bidding and the government does not want to invest more money into the CBC.

Even watching the Leafs' lose on Sportsnet and TSN is made more enjoyable since the Canuck Broadcasting Crew has made watching HNiC painful.

I can't wait until the bidding starts for the new TV deal.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
HNiC is currently on CBC. Just like the theme song used to be.

The contract will be open for bidding and the government does not want to invest more money into the CBC.

Even watching the Leafs' lose on Sportsnet and TSN is made more enjoyable since the Canuck Broadcasting Crew has made watching HNiC painful.

I can't wait until the bidding starts for the new TV deal.
so you think CBC is done?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:17 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
so you think CBC is done?
It will open up more Ottawa and Montreal games to be broadcast instead of Leafs games while Toronto plays on another station

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
It will open up more Ottawa and Montreal games to be broadcast instead of Leafs games while Toronto plays on another station
so you think CBC is done. ok. I don't think they will let it come to that

check the ratings when the Leafs aren't on. they will be even worse if the Leafs are on another channel. CBC isn't that stupid.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
stish

i believe the present deal with CBC includes a package with all of the Canadian teams. I think it precludes any other Canadian network broadcasting games on Sat. night. This might come up in negotiations. Rogers already shows oilers games on Sat. afternoon occasionally. Also interesting will be the role of government in any conflict of interest, regarding the Leafs/Rogers/TSN. Funny because CBC is also government run. Should make for quite the **** storm of negotiations. Back to topic, you can bet that Leaf ownership can not be happy with the broadcasting crew treating the team like crap. Harold Ballard would not put up with this crap. lol.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Dark Passenger

I actually don't mind Hughson so much. He used to do the Leaf games a good while back..not sure if it was TSN or Global, but don't recall having issues with how he commentated. I think if you replaced Simpson and Healy, things would be fine.

For what it's worth, the crew doing the games on Leaf TV are absolute garbage. Joe Bowen..well...Joe is Joe, but Millen and Hendricks have absolutely nothing to offer. Really miss Harry Neale.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Boycott HNIC like I will be doing, I love the Leafs and I hate missing a game, but I'm sick and tired of it, **** you CBC! Send e-mails and let's boycott these dbags.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
buntek

It's embarassing how disgruntled Healy is. I wonder if he thinks he's discrete.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Feels good man... Just called CBC and complained (maturely and professionally) about the quality of broadcasting by Simpson and Healy. Sounded like the person was actually listening to me and was taking notes, I know it's not a big deal but if multiple people complain, they can't sit on it.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
leburn98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Joe Bowen is the best in the business right now.
Joe "Holy Mackinaw" Bowen? Love the guy and probably the only announcer that will keep me tuned in even when the Leafs are being blown out.

leburn98 is offline   Reply With Quote