HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hughson,Simpson,Healy

Old
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
check the ratings when the Leafs aren't on. they will be even worse if the Leafs are on another channel. CBC isn't that stupid.
It doesn't really matter how smart the CBC is. They aren't in control of their funding, and they have to win the bid for the TV deal once the current one expires. Do you know who their competition for that TV deal is? Rogers and Bell.

Regardless of what the CBC wants to do, Rogers and Bell will probably want to just take their 1,000,000+ viewers and go home.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I always thought he was a Hab fan?

Listening to him over the years, he seemed to call every game the same regardless of the Teams.
i agree

Canada vs. USA
Russia vs. Sweden
Leafs vs __________

the game was called awesome. Cole's a Habs fan but he called a great game regardless of who it was. Bowen (who IS a Leafs fan) can make a game sound interesting regardless if it was 8-0 or 1-0 (win or loss).

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
I am pretty sure that Simpsons hatred is genetic in an odd way.

It was reported that the Leafs wanted to draft him but his old man (who had something to do with hockey ... broadcasting I think) told the Leafs not to bother and that he wouldn't play with them. Leafs drafted Wendell, who had a better career. It was a crappy draft year overall anyway.

I always thought that his old man helped Leafs make the right choice anyway. I guess Simpson and his family probably blame the Leafs )in some convoluted way) for him not having a more illustrious career. Who knows that could be true;

However, his "lovely" personality .... you can give that credit to him and his family.
Oops wrong guy.

That was Scott Mellenby's old man Ralph.

Though Simpson and Healey probably cheesed they were looked over by the Leafs.

On the draft thing who could have blamed a parent to want their child out of Harolds' clutches after the Sittler years. That certainly was a low point for Make Believe Gardens in a half century when there have been more than one or two low points.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Oops wrong guy.

That was Scott Mellenby's old man Ralph.

Though Simpson and Healey probably cheesed they were looked over by the Leafs.

On the draft thing who could have blamed a parent to want their child out of Harolds' clutches after the Sittler years. That certainly was a low point for Make Believe Gardens in a half century when there have been more than one or two low points.
At the time of the Wendel Clark draft, it was widely reported that Craig Simpson had made it known that he was not interested in being drafted by the Leafs who had the first pick. Simpson and Clark were the top rated players, but I don't think 1985 was considered a rich draft and there was no consensus #1. So unclear whether Simpson's wishes had anything to do with the Leafs picking Clark or if Clark was the Leafs pick regardless.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

I'd rather listen to the Pittsburgh guys and Brian Hayward between the benches as opposed to the three stooges.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Feels good man... Just called CBC and complained (maturely and professionally) about the quality of broadcasting by Simpson and Healy. Sounded like the person was actually listening to me and was taking notes, I know it's not a big deal but if multiple people complain, they can't sit on it.

Care to share the number? I will most def do the same.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:33 PM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm guessing that complaints department was swamped in the past by non Leaf fans on National broadcast having to endure Bob Cole's homer-ism towards the Leafs as his bias is as obvious as Hughson, Healy dislike is.

It's likely the reason for the change being made at CBC away from Cole for HNIC Leaf broadcasts.

Even as a diehard Leaf fan, it was overwhelmingly annoying to see Cole shed bright light on a Leaf performance even on evenings where they were getting hammered by the opponents. I do like the sound of his voice however for broadcasts much more than others, but his Leaf bias also clouds his overall performance when he can't be impartial at least when its warranted via the game or the score in it. Add Don Cherry's intermission Leaf bias and it was likely simply too much LEAFS for many to take.

Hughson, Simpson, Healy made it sound like a 8-0 Leaf loss instead of 1-0, while in turn Cole would have made a 8-0 loss in the past sound like a narrow 1-0 win for the Bruins on the night.. Its two extremes where neither crew did justice for the viewing audience that tunes into watch the game.

Perhaps a 3rd neutral non Leaf bias one way or the other crew would be the best solution for CBC to explore.
However the majority of the time Cole did leafs broadcasts they were a playoff team so they deserved some compliments, even if they were playing bad. Cole is a Habs fan btw. And he hid that masterfully

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Snow Dog
Victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I'm sorry I clouded my point with facts, and reason. I'll dumb it down for you: Cherry OK, Bobby Mac better.

How's that?

He spent 767 games in the AHL as a player/goon, and 6 seasons as an NHL coach. He took over a Stanley Cup winning team and won zero cups with them in 5 years. He turned a high skill, Stanley Cup winning team into a "lunch pail, Big Bad Bruins" team. A team that didn't win the Cup, that eventually traded away the (at the time) greatest goal scorer in the game, due to fit, and eventually lost the greatest defenseman in the games history. He was then brought to Colorado where he won 19 games in 80, thus ending his illustrious career.

So try to take his 'expertise' with a grain of salt. It might make your opinion more valid. He is an entertainer, with a little bit of professional perspective. I love his segment, and value his opinion as a player supporter. But I don't consider him one of the better 'experts'. The truth is, most of the experts keep their jobs as coaches and GMs in the NHL.

Granted.But,I would say he probably has more knowledge and inside info than anyone on HF.

Snow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Granted.But,I would say he probably has more knowledge and inside info than anyone on HF.
I resigned the PoV for Cherry knowing hockey.

Cherry is not an expert, everyone on here is. Im not starting back up again.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
What a stupid thread. Does no one remember how stupid and bitter Ottawa fans sounded when they *****ed about Cole and Neale back in the early 00s?

There's nothing stupider and more unfounded then complaining about an announcer's bias. It's meaningless, and it only show you get pissed off way too easily.

Besides, I'm pretty sure, if everyone took off their anti-CBC crew glasses for a while, they'd realize they're not nearly as biased as they think.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
What a stupid thread. Does no one remember how stupid and bitter Ottawa fans sounded when they *****ed about Cole and Neale back in the early 00s?

There's nothing stupider and more unfounded then complaining about an announcer's bias. It's meaningless, and it only show you get pissed off way too easily.

Besides, I'm pretty sure, if everyone took off their anti-CBC crew glasses for a while, they'd realize they're not nearly as biased as they think.

8 pages of fans say otherwise

Old
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
8 pages of fans say otherwise
Otherwise to what end?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Man Bear Pig

It's funny because Sens fans say the same thing about this crew. They can't stand them just as much. Hughson is brutal. He spends half the game trying to find segways to pump the tires of the Canucks."Grabovski brings the puck across the line, he got in a fight a few years ago with a fan while in Vancouver. Speaking of Vancouver, how about those Sedins". He needs to be sent back out West. Simpson I actually don't find that bad. I think he's at least a little bit honest. Healy just hates the Leafs. Still ******** over not getting hired years back. Probably because he's not qualified. Moron.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:15 PM
david999

Quote:

Sorry, but there does seem to be a bias. Jim Houston not so much, but Simpson and Healy really go out of their way to be critical. This coming from a Healy fan

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Sorry, but there does seem to be a bias. Jim Houston not so much, but Simpson and Healy really go out of their way to be critical. This coming from a Healy fan
Meh. The team has been ****** almost since they started covering Leaf games. Get back to me when they're criticizing the Leafs while they're battling for 1st place.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Otherwise to what end?

You come in to play devils advocate; I have yet to hear a successful counter to the fact that these three are

a) terrible announcers
b) complete anti homers
c) two have prior axes to grind with the Leafs organization.

If you want to say stupid seven times in one post and compare us to the Senators fan once upon a time thats fine, but the points brought up by 8 pages of complaints are certainly NOT unfounded. Just listen to them.

These are the fans speaking out against a horrendous job being provided by people who are supposed to be covering the #1 broadcast, on a public broadcaster no less.

Now its time to listen to a real broadcaster, even if he is a homer, Joe Bowen.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
jimmycarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Healy is in an aquaintance's pipe band and I think I am going to go to their next performance and heckle him.
post dates please. i have wanted to do this since i heard he plays bagpipes in a band.

he is a clown.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Snow Dog
Victorious

Maybe next year the Leafs could get the schedule arrarged without Saturday night games,maybe Saturday afternoon or Friday nights(need a weekend game for the fans).

Old
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
You come in to play devils advocate; I have yet to hear a successful counter to the fact that these three are

a) terrible announcers
b) complete anti homers
c) two have prior axes to grind with the Leafs organization.
I have yet to hear an actual legitimate argument that support those claims in the first place.

Quote:
If you want to say stupid seven times in one post and compare us to the Senators fan once upon a time thats fine, but the points brought up by 8 pages of complaints are certainly NOT unfounded. Just listen to them.
I've heard most of the examples provided by those with the idea that they are biased or anti-Leaf, and most of them are just meaningless quotes that they try to suggest means they're trying to put down the Leafs. And that's not to even mention the number of examples provided that are not legitimate quotes by those in question.

Quote:
These are the fans speaking out against a horrendous job being provided by people who are supposed to be covering the #1 broadcast, on a public broadcaster no less.
And I tend to think they're doing a perfectly fine job.

Quote:
Now its time to listen to a real broadcaster, even if he is a homer, Joe Bowen.
At least we can agree on this. Joe Bowen is awesome.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Snow Dog
Victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
post dates please. i have wanted to do this since i heard he plays bagpipes in a band.

he is a clown.
Won't be seeing the guy for a couple of months and I'm not even sure the bands name,but come spring I"ll try to remember.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
I have yet to hear an actual legitimate argument that support those claims in the first place.

I've heard most of the examples provided by those with the idea that they are biased or anti-Leaf, and most of them are just meaningless quotes that they try to suggest means they're trying to put down the Leafs. And that's not to even mention the number of examples provided that are not legitimate quotes by those in question.

And I tend to think they're doing a perfectly fine job.

At least we can agree on this. Joe Bowen is awesome.

To each his own.

I couldn't find a decent SN stream with Bowen, so Im watching the Hurricanes feed and I must say they aren't that bad at all.

NCAA commercials during every time out are a little ridiculous though.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
TheOneArmedMan

I wish they would hire Joe Bowen becuase I love his enthusiasm compared to Hughson..... Hughson is so boring and bias, and Healy is the worst.

The three stooges indeed.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Deebo

http://www.bergerbytes.ca/hating-night-in-canada/

Lots of quotes taken directly from this thread, complete with retorts from Healy himself.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Transplanted Caper

Hi Howard!

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
so you think CBC is done?
CBC is tax payer funded.

We already know there are issues with the conservative government and CBC budgets.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote