HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread | Part II: "The Winger Mystery Deepens"

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
The Wild have demoted Setoguchi to the fourth line for lack of production this season. Don't really think I want to see the Penguins get this guy. He plays small and doesn't seem to show up.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Shady Machine

Morrow for Ryder? Do we feel bad about the Neal/Niskanen trade? Yikes.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Ryder is better than Igilna (now) and much cheaper than Perry.
Uh... no.

I don't think the Iggy contract would be that massive as you'd think -- definitely not as much as Perry would. I think we could make it by moving Martin in the offseason. The Top-6 upgrade would offset the defensive downgrade until whatever young guys who steps in adjusts.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:00 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

We could have really used Brandon Saad about now.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
The Wild have demoted Setoguchi to the fourth line for lack of production this season. Don't really think I want to see the Penguins get this guy. He plays small and doesn't seem to show up.
I haven't been impressed with him this year.

Maybe Shero can buy low, but he needs to save his big assets for something more sure.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I haven't been impressed with him this year.

Maybe Shero can buy low, but he needs to save his big assets for something more sure.
I've caught quite a few games. Their secondary scoring is nonexistent. The 2nd line just isn't meshing. Granlund may well be demoted as well.

I think Seto has played a physical game. It's not a lack of effort, he's just not someone who can create offense on his own. He's a finisher.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I've caught quite a few games. Their secondary scoring is nonexistent. The 2nd line just isn't meshing. Granlund may well be demoted as well.

I think Seto has played a physical game. It's not a lack of effort, he's just not someone who can create offense on his own. He's a finisher.
That's what I worry about.

The Pens really need a guy like Vermette that creates on his own.

I'm weary of having another leach, so to speak.

This team would be so dangerous if Malkin and Crosby each had one guy capable of doing something on their own.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:

This team would be so dangerous if Malkin and Crosby each had one guy capable of doing something on their own.
Agreed entirely. The issue with the 14/87/9 line is that the opposition can isolate Crosby knowing full well that neither Dupuis nor Kunitz can CREATE a lick of anything on their own. I'd rather add a guy with a modicum less finish but a smidgen of creativity than a guy who's known as a finisher exclusively. I would love to see somebody other than Sid able to gain the zone, stop up, and find an open man. That's not so much to ask for, really.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
mpp9

Quote:

I think we're after Sid's Neal. I agree, we'd be better off having a couple players who can do something in a one on one situation. But I'd be happy having another pure finisher on this team.

I see very little in Seto's game that would hold him back from exploding offensively here. Sid produces golden scoring chances on a nightly basis. Put a guy with a goal scorer's shot in those situations and with the wheels and physical style to mesh very well with Sid, we're in good shape.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Shero somehow was able to snag Cluttberbuck as well.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Agreed entirely. The issue with the 14/87/9 line is that the opposition can isolate Crosby knowing full well that neither Dupuis nor Kunitz can CREATE a lick of anything on their own. I'd rather add a guy with a modicum less finish but a smidgen of creativity than a guy who's known as a finisher exclusively. I would love to see somebody other than Sid able to gain the zone, stop up, and find an open man. That's not so much to ask for, really.
That'd be great. I'm also more than fine with finding Sid's Neal. Seto brings that to the table.

It's not like we're not allowed to bring in another forward with a playmaking skillset. Bennett will likely be called up at some point before the trade deadline to see what we have in him.

I was always in favor of bringing in two top 6 forwards.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think we're after Sid's Neal. I agree, we'd be better off having a couple players who can do something in a one on one situation. But I'd be happy having another pure finisher on this team.

I see very little in Seto's game that would hold him back from exploding offensively here. Sid produces golden scoring chances on a nightly basis. Put a guy with a goal scorer's shot in those situations and with the wheels and physical style to mesh very well with Sid, we're in good shape.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Shero somehow was able to snag Cluttberbuck as well.
If he can get Seto for a second and a decent prospect, go for it.

If the cost is beyond that, I would rather see those assets used to acquire more of a sure thing.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
mpp9

Quote:

If the cost is beyond that, I would rather see those assets used to acquire more of a sure thing.
Who's on your wishlist?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
If we could get Ryder for a first and Samuelson, do you do it? I would
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
That's an absurd overpayment.
I was going to say ****ing bat-**** crazy overpayment, but OK. I can go with absurd. It's a good word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
So how about a conditional first. Its a first if he signs and a second if not?
There is no world where Michael Ryder is worth any kind of 1st round draft pick, in any year. He's a pretty good player but he's streaky and one dimensional in his play. You only pay with 1st round picks when the player coming back is a sure thing and someone you want to sign for a long time.

Perry, Ryan, Marleau... those are the type of players you give up assets + 1st round picks for. Not Michael Ryder. The only two players on Dallas' roster that warrant moving 1st round pick are Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson and neither of those guys are going anywhere.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Gotta love Николай Кулёмин on that list. All of those who don't know its Kulemin, please stand up. LOL

Old
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Gotta love Николай Кулёмин on that list. All of those who don't know its Kulemin, please stand up. LOL
his NAME IS:

Old
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

I see Tangradi + a pick (2nd or 3rd) being the deal.

Minny saves cap space, adds size to their bottom six, gets younger, and Fletcher will probably take a stab at him given how he pushed RS to jump on the deal once Anaheim included him (in the Kunitz/Whitney swap) to satisfy his mancrush on ET's potential.

RS's & Fletcher's bromance has to count for something....

Old
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The way he was playing yesterday I want to know when Bylsma is going to promote Crosby's Vitale. He was like a quantum particle... everywhere on the ice at the same time, colliding with other particles and annihilating them. Victory > Occasional Hat Tricks.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
WVP

What a big week to see what this team is made of.

Islanders - a rematch, how do we respond? Islanders are probably going to be playing confident hockey against us, having won the last 3.
Washington - a rematch, Washington should be bringing it again
Devils - a rematch, and we just embarrased them. We will see a big effort from NJ.
Devils - again.

Short season makes every game more important but those are 4 character games.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The way he was playing yesterday I want to know when Bylsma is going to promote Crosby's Vitale. He was like a quantum particle... everywhere on the ice at the same time, colliding with other particles and annihilating them. Victory > Occasional Hat Tricks.
You're really going to demote Kunitz to 4th-line center after an elevnty-point weekend? What kind of message does that send to Tangradi?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
That'd be great. I'm also more than fine with finding Sid's Neal. Seto brings that to the table.

It's not like we're not allowed to bring in another forward with a playmaking skillset. Bennett will likely be called up at some point before the trade deadline to see what we have in him.

I was always in favor of bringing in two top 6 forwards.
It seems like most people here are looking for a winger for sid and move kunitz to malkin line but if sid is playing like sid and kunitz is playing like kunitz that lines gonna score a bunch and sid is gonna be leading the league in scoring soon. I dont see the pens breaking that line up. I would think shero is looking for a winger to be a 3rd wheel to geno more then sid line.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Who's on your wishlist?
Wish list as in Shero goes all out and puts every prospect including BB, Morrow and roster players like Sutter on the table?

Logan Couture or Kyle Palmieri.

They would be expensive, Couture especially, but they would be worth it.

I doubt the Sharks or Ducks would move them, but I never thought Neal could be had either.

So who knows and it is a wish list. Neal was on my wish list once and it came true.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You're really going to demote Kunitz to 4th-line center after an elevnty-point weekend? What kind of message does that send to Tangradi?
No sir! Behold our winger solution:

Vitale / Boychuk - Sid - Dupers
Kunitz - Geno - Neal (it has been rumored this line kicked ass once before)
Cooke - Sutter - Boychuk / Vitale (you know Joe can play all 3 positions right?)
Glass - Jeffrey - TK
Adams

The message this sends to Tangradi is "you will get more playing time somewhere else and hopefully have a decent career."

Old
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

So, thought this tweet from McKenzie was interesting, it's in reference to VAN GM Mike Gillis and AGM Laurence Gilman being at the Pens/Caps game yesterday ...

Link

So, does the "WSH isn't talking to VAN" mean they were scouting the Pens?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim Ran View Post
Iginla is more than Guerin.
changed to something a little more appropriate. in the first iteration he was down as Crosby's Dream, and while he'd be fantastic you can't really put him in the same neighborhood as Perry and Ryan.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Hm. Thinking about Van's winger situation... don't see Kassian being in play considering they just dealt for him and he's looking good this year. Maybe Burrows is of some interest?

Closed Thread