HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread | Part II: "The Winger Mystery Deepens"

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
So, thought this tweet from McKenzie was interesting, it's in reference to VAN GM Mike Gillis and AGM Laurence Gilman being at the Pens/Caps game yesterday ...

Link

So, does the "WSH isn't talking to VAN" mean they were scouting the Pens?
Maybe but for who and what? Would the Pens really make a deal for Luongo? Move Fleury somewhere else? Just don't see a deal happening between us and the Nucks

Old
02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Hottubber

There really arent too many peices on the Canucks that would help the pens. Kassian would be nice, but he isnt going anywhere. Guys like Raymond, Hansen, etc are just more of what the Pens already have

Old
02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Maybe but for who and what? Would the Pens really make a deal for Luongo? Move Fleury somewhere else? Just don't see a deal happening between us and the Nucks
Kesler's skating with the team again

Seriously, I have no idea. I know Raymond's name has been floated around on these boards before, but that doesn't mean anything.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
What about Higgins or Booth from the Canucks?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
stefanh

I know its the buzz on the turd but the say seto is on the block and Kennedy a possible trade peace for the pens

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...e-block/54987/

Old
02-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Booth is injured right now and is not worth his salary IMO

Higgins is a pretty decent utility guy (like Dupuis) but wouldnt add a ton to the existing lineup. Definitely not worth giving up anything of any real value for

Old
02-04-2013, 11:29 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Isn't Vancouver pretty set, especially on defense? No idea what they would want. LOL to someone bringing up Luongo. I don't know what it is about trades that makes people transport into an alternate reality.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Zbynek

Something around Joe Morrow+ for Jarome Iginla should be Ray Shero's biggest focus. We can afford to trade one of our bluechip prospects at this point. Of all our D prospects I like J Morrow the best, but even he should be moved if Iginla is on the table. The same goes for Corey Perry obviously.

Shero is dangling a roster that is at an all-time high in trade value. I would really be disappointed if he didn't at least make a move for a Setoguchi/Stewart/Ryder level winger.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:30 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Hm. Thinking about Van's winger situation... don't see Kassian being in play considering they just dealt for him and he's looking good this year. Maybe Burrows is of some interest?
Burrows is holding down the fort on the 2nd line until Kesler comes back, then he'll slide up with the Sedins again I imagine.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
There really arent too many peices on the Canucks that would help the pens. Kassian would be nice, but he isnt going anywhere. Guys like Raymond, Hansen, etc are just more of what the Pens already have
An upgrade on D? I honestly do not see it. Who are you going after? Both Hamhuis and Bieska have NTC's, and Edler just signed a 6 yr extension.

Wingers? They have a few smaller pieces (Higgens, Raymond, etc), but I do not see them moving Kassian or Borrows (who I'll admit has some talent, but I absolutely detest). Have some interest in Booth, but I think it's too much risk to take on (cap vs performance) until he's shown he can bounce back.

G? Why would we be considering Luongo when we have MAF and Vokoun? I'm not opposed to Lu, but I don't see the need to expend assets when we have a tandem that should be very good. Even if it was a 1-1 trade (MAF/Lu), is it an upgrade? I'm just not sure that makes sense for the Pens. I could see it for a team like Edmonton/Toronto who need (or have a perceived need) for a competent netminder.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Booth is injured, and is very injury prone now, but I thought in Florida that he was a great fit for Sid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Id offer Maatta before offering his that's first. We'll regret dealing our first in this years draft... Mark it down.
How can you say that? We could regret trading Maatta just as much. And Maatta was a classic case of a top prospect dropping.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I guess it's under the assumption we draft an forward in the first this year (which I think we will). All things equal, it'd be a more valuable piece than a defenseman from the year before given our prospect pool.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I guess it's under the assumption we draft an forward in the first this year (which I think we will). All things equal, it'd be a more valuable piece than a defenseman from the year before given our prospect pool.
But the problem is at best that winger is still probably minimum 2-3 years away from the NHL unless magically we end up with a top 5 pick

Old
02-04-2013, 12:01 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Booth is injured right now and is not worth his salary IMO

Higgins is a pretty decent utility guy (like Dupuis) but wouldnt add a ton to the existing lineup. Definitely not worth giving up anything of any real value for
Higgins is nothing more than a good 3rd liner, wouldnt add anything to Pens. You already have good third liners liek Kennedy et al.

Plus, Vancouver wants to retain a decent third line as well, so they'll keep Higgins. Raymond tho, is paid closer to a second liner and yet IMO performs more like a thirs liner, they may wanna dump him.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Something around Joe Morrow+ for Jarome Iginla should be Ray Shero's biggest focus. We can afford to trade one of our bluechip prospects at this point. Of all our D prospects I like J Morrow the best, but even he should be moved if Iginla is on the table. The same goes for Corey Perry obviously.

Shero is dangling a roster that is at an all-time high in trade value. I would really be disappointed if he didn't at least make a move for a Setoguchi/Stewart/Ryder level winger.
How is the roster at an all time high in trade value? We finally give some guys opportunities like Jeffrey and Tangradi and they are even worth less than they were before the season started. Despres is probably worth slightly more than last year, but all of the prospects are worth little until they prove they can play in this league.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
So, thought this tweet from McKenzie was interesting, it's in reference to VAN GM Mike Gillis and AGM Laurence Gilman being at the Pens/Caps game yesterday ...

Link

So, does the "WSH isn't talking to VAN" mean they were scouting the Pens?
Possible alternatives:

Luongo for Ovechkin -- why is anyone talking about Schneider (including NBC)? That's ridiculous. It's Luongo who is going to be traded most liekly based on everything that's happened. So this deal would be the only one that would make any sense (of course other pieces might be involved but those two would be the primary ones. The crazy contracts match up pretty well, both fill a big need -- Neuvirth and Holtby aren't bad but both strike me as "solid back-up" types, not starters.

For the Penguins, there's really not a lot that can be done IMO. Both teams are very solid at C, have deep Defensive assets, have solid starting goalies, and are short on skilled wingers.

Wingers most likely to be traded to us if there was a trade, in no order:
Burrows, Higgins, Booth and I want no part of Higgins or Booth. Higgins is not a great player / not going to help this team much. I'd take him dirt cheap but that's it. And Booth while he could be great is having recurring concussion problems the past few years I think.

Burrows I would be very interested in... he could be great on Sid's line and make our PK much better / more dangerous. And he's playoff tested. But I don't really see any means of making a trade for him that improves both teams. The usual "trade D assets" route we talk about, doesn't work very well with Vancouver. Maybe a swap... Kunitz + pick / good prospect for Burrows.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

What about the canucks being part of a three way trade with us and another team?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

By the way there's not a snowball's chance in hell they'll trade Kassian to us. He delivers exactly what they need and on the cheap. And they traded an important asset to get him. Would be like us trading Neal.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
What about the canucks being part of a three way trade with us and another team?
Anything's possible but it's not very likely. Gets way too hypothetical when you start going down that road. Might as well take wild guesses instead of educated ones.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
WarriorScholar

Knock on luongo has always been not performing as well in the playoffs as he did in regular season, yet there's some that want him? We have a great tandem right now. If fluery struggles in playoffs, we will simply plug vokoun in there. Acquiring a goalie should not even be mentioned

Old
02-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Kesler's skating with the team again

Seriously, I have no idea. I know Raymond's name has been floated around on these boards before, but that doesn't mean anything.
I just don't think Mason Raymond is the answer to our top 6 problems. Just don't see it making much sense but hey I ain't no GM

Old
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
deakka

So, Rupp to Minesota. God damn if they screw us on Setoguchi

Old
02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
So, Rupp to Minesota. God damn if they screw us on Setoguchi
Since you didnt give any sources to this.

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Wild trade Darroll Powe to the Rangers for Mike Rupp.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NYR have traded Mike Rupp to MIN.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Since you didnt give any sources to this.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Wild trade Darroll Powe to the Rangers for Mike Rupp.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NYR have traded Mike Rupp to MIN.
That's just one weird trade

Old
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I wouldn't mind Burrows.

I think it's more probable that Vancouver is shopping Booth around. At his cap hit and considering how injury prone he is, I wouldn't be shocked if they move him for cheap. Booth and TK were pretty much even in production last year and TK's cap hit is much easier to swallow. TK's ceiling isn't close to Booth's but he is much less risky. TK for Booth?

Closed Thread