HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread | Part II: "The Winger Mystery Deepens"

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
deakka

vCash: 500
Doesnt seem to help the Rangers much imo. Maybe a cap-move?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
I wouldn't mind Burrows.

I think it's more probable that Vancouver is shopping Booth around. At his cap hit and considering how injury prone he is, I wouldn't be shocked if they move him for cheap. Booth and TK were pretty much even in production last year and TK's cap hit is much easier to swallow. TK's ceiling isn't close to Booth's but he is much less risky. TK for Booth?
Too much of a risk for us (cap wise). If he bounces back (30g+) then he's absolutely worth his 4m in salary. And while I think he'd do better with Crosby/Malkin than Kesler (playmaking vs goal scoring center), I'd be very very hesitant to make that move (just acquiring him, not even looking at the assets to acquire him).

The Pens have ~4-5m for a winger next season depending on who gets re-signed and for how much, plus who they move. I'd hate to blow that all on Booth only for it not to work out and be stuck with him for 2 more seasons at 4m. Unless Shero is willing (has the okay) to buy him out if it doesn't work. IF that's the case (that ownership is wiling to shell out 3-6.1m) then I'd be all for acquiring him on the cheap.

Last edited by Riptide: 02-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I've mentioned it earlier on more than 1 occasion that the Wild are looking to get bigger on the bottom 6. Proof was this Powe-Rupp trade that they just consomated with the Rangers. I would imagine a deal involving Tangradi+ being a real possibility for Seto. Here's crossing my fingers that he doesn't produce tonight & Coyle gets a hat-trick playing on the 2nd line, so it forces Fletcher's hand.

After Kunitz being credited with a 4th goal yesterday, I'm worried that Shero may not see a problem with the top-6 wingers at the moment. I wouldn't want to be paying trade deadline day prices for a fix. The season is already short as it is and playing enough games to develop chemistry before the playoffs is vital.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
I know its the buzz on the turd but the say seto is on the block and Kennedy a possible trade peace for the pens

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...e-block/54987/
Hi Stefanh, do you pay for access to the site? They don't mention anything about Kennedy being a possible piece for the Pens unless you're referring to the comment box on the right side of the page.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Hottubber

The whole article was posted up earlier but for some reason you cant read it all now

Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Since you didnt give any sources to this.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/189690261.html

Old
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
mpp9

I think we'll see hockey trades around the 20 game mark. Shero has made his moves in February historically. I don't think we'll need to wait much longer. Niskanen's return would be the only thing holding us up.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Correction with the Rupp-Powe trade. MIN is also sending Palmeri to NYR.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Something around Joe Morrow+ for Jarome Iginla should be Ray Shero's biggest focus. We can afford to trade one of our bluechip prospects at this point. Of all our D prospects I like J Morrow the best, but even he should be moved if Iginla is on the table. The same goes for Corey Perry obviously.

Shero is dangling a roster that is at an all-time high in trade value. I would really be disappointed if he didn't at least make a move for a Setoguchi/Stewart/Ryder level winger.
I think Iginla should be a target if/when Calgary knocks themselves out of contention. Crosby is somewhat familiar playing with him. Plus he'll just add more hunger to this squad. He wants a cup. He'd look really good in Tyler Kennedy's roster spot, with Boychuk moving down and Kunitz rejoining Malkin+Neal.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
a guy who could've been had on waivers. quite the add.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

TSN had a few more words to say on Gillis and McPhee, saying Gillis basically apologized for causing any distraction.
Nothing specific really but no refutation of whether Luongo might be traded to WSH IMO.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415236

Old
02-04-2013, 02:07 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The great thing about this is that it will give Minny more flexibility regarding their 50 contract limit. Now, they're @ 49. However, Rupp is a larger caphit than Powe (by approx 0.5M) and therefore, I cannot imagine them adding salary if they plan on trading Setoguchi. This helps us out in terms of what we have to offer ;-)

Old
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
a guy who could've been had on waivers. quite the add.
Looks like the Rags are going after the rejects, after Ferriero now Palmieri

Old
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Looks like the Rags are going after the rejects, after Ferriero now Palmieri
they've been trying to revamp their bottom-six for a while now. we'll see how that works out.

what are they going to trot out?

Powe-Boyle-Halpern
Bickel - Ferriero - Asham

Last edited by Crafton: 02-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I wouldn't.
No offense, but if you woulnd't trade Despres for Nino, you're nuts. Nino is everything we are wanting: he's a top-5 pick who is a natural goal scorer, brings size and physicality, and is young and cheap. He's a future James Neal-type player. NYI made a mistake by keeping him in the NHL last season, but he is tearing up the AHL this season. He is EXACTLY the type of player we are/should be looking for. We're dreaming if we think we could get him straight-up for Desres, though -- and that's if NYI would be willing to consider trading him at all.

That said, there are a couple of other guys on that team that could be good in a trade:

Josh Bailey: he is another guy that NYI rushed up, and could look great as a winger on this team.. Bailey had a strong finish to last season (I think he scored 17 points in his last 19 games), and I have always liked what I saw when I watched him. He is a natural centre who has been playing mostly wing for NYI, and could be a really nice fit on the LW with Sid or Geno.

Brock Nelson: I really haven't seen him play much, and not at all since last year's WJC. But he's a big guy who is putting up huge numbers in his rookie year in the AHL. 6'3, so great size, but he shoots left and I'm not sure how well (if at all) his game would translate to the wing position. But there is no question this kid is a really good prospect, and with Strome in the pipeline as well, perhaps one of Nelson/Niederreiter/Bailey could be moved for a Dman, who is close to NHL ready, like Despres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I would go Rattie or Ritchie before Nino. I could see the Pens liking Nino though. He plays that active game.
There is ZERO chance we're getting Ritchie. He's a keeper and fits Dallas' needs like a glove. They're thin on the wings organizationally, especially when you factor in that guys like Ryder, Whitney and Jagr are not long-term solutions for that club.

Rattie, however, is intriguing, but he won't be able to step in this season. My concern with Rattie is: just how many "smaller" guys can we keep in our line-up? We can't have Rattie and TK and Boychuk. But Rattie could be a good off-season target. Then again, the Blues may want to keep him, especially if they move a forward like Stewart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Wish list as in Shero goes all out and puts every prospect including BB, Morrow and roster players like Sutter on the table?

Logan Couture or Kyle Palmieri.

They would be expensive, Couture especially, but they would be worth it.

I doubt the Sharks or Ducks would move them, but I never thought Neal could be had either.So who knows and it is a wish list. Neal was on my wish list once and it came true.

It's only a matter of time before the Ducks make some moves. They have some really nice wingers. They have Palmieri, Smith-Pelley, Etem and Rakell, who are all good players in different ways. But I really don't think they make any moves until they know what the status will be with Perry and Ryan going forward. Why trade one of those 4 I mentioned if they are forced to move Perry before the deadline? Perry alone will bring in a good young centre and/or Dman if that's what they're looking for.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
mpp9

Ryan is their trade piece to get a #2C. Perry is a rental, not seeing a team giving up an established pivot for him.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Ryan is their trade piece to get a #2C. Perry is a rental, not seeing a team giving up an established pivot for him.
Agreed especially with how things turned out with Hossa and everyone was 100% sure he would have signed here

If we would move for Perry, Shero better have talked extension with his agent and agreed to a deal

Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Agreed especially with how things turned out with Hossa and everyone was 100% sure he would have signed here

If we would move for Perry, Shero better have talked extension with his agent and agreed to a deal
To do that, he needs the Ducks permission, and that would drive up the cost. Perry as a rental would be steep. Perry locked into a 4-7 yr extension would be even more so.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Possible alternatives:

Luongo for Ovechkin -- why is anyone talking about Schneider (including NBC)? That's ridiculous. It's Luongo who is going to be traded most liekly based on everything that's happened. So this deal would be the only one that would make any sense (of course other pieces might be involved but those two would be the primary ones. The crazy contracts match up pretty well, both fill a big need -- Neuvirth and Holtby aren't bad but both strike me as "solid back-up" types, not starters.

For the Penguins, there's really not a lot that can be done IMO. Both teams are very solid at C, have deep Defensive assets, have solid starting goalies, and are short on skilled wingers.

Wingers most likely to be traded to us if there was a trade, in no order:
Burrows, Higgins, Booth and I want no part of Higgins or Booth. Higgins is not a great player / not going to help this team much. I'd take him dirt cheap but that's it. And Booth while he could be great is having recurring concussion problems the past few years I think.

Burrows I would be very interested in... he could be great on Sid's line and make our PK much better / more dangerous. And he's playoff tested. But I don't really see any means of making a trade for him that improves both teams. The usual "trade D assets" route we talk about, doesn't work very well with Vancouver. Maybe a swap... Kunitz + pick / good prospect for Burrows.
I'd do Mason Raymond for Tangradi + . Who knows, they may just want to get bigger to match up against the west.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
No offense, but if you woulnd't trade Despres for Nino, you're nuts. Nino is everything we are wanting: he's a top-5 pick who is a natural goal scorer, brings size and physicality, and is young and cheap. He's a future James Neal-type player. NYI made a mistake by keeping him in the NHL last season, but he is tearing up the AHL this season. He is EXACTLY the type of player we are/should be looking for. We're dreaming if we think we could get him straight-up for Desres, though -- and that's if NYI would be willing to consider trading him at all.

That said, there are a couple of other guys on that team that could be good in a trade:

Josh Bailey: he is another guy that NYI rushed up, and could look great as a winger on this team.. Bailey had a strong finish to last season (I think he scored 17 points in his last 19 games), and I have always liked what I saw when I watched him. He is a natural centre who has been playing mostly wing for NYI, and could be a really nice fit on the LW with Sid or Geno.

Brock Nelson: I really haven't seen him play much, and not at all since last year's WJC. But he's a big guy who is putting up huge numbers in his rookie year in the AHL. 6'3, so great size, but he shoots left and I'm not sure how well (if at all) his game would translate to the wing position. But there is no question this kid is a really good prospect, and with Strome in the pipeline as well, perhaps one of Nelson/Niederreiter/Bailey could be moved for a Dman, who is close to NHL ready, like Despres.
I take no offense to you calling me names, sir!

I think I briefly noted our differences of opinion over Simon Despres. I think he's something more than you do, and that "something" is worth more than a guy who, if he had put up the stat line he has with the Islanders with the Penguins, would be burned effigy more than Sir Tangradi of Ericville.

I'm not basing this all on stats, mind you, but I just think you're selling Despres way way way way way short, and I don't need to call you names to say it

Old
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Malkinstheman

Anybody think mueller could be had for 4th+samuelsson+ 2014 3rd

Old
02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Nino could be a really good winger. Right now he's on pace to be the next Rico Fata. At this point I'd leave him alone. Yeah you'd have to pay more later, but I'd rather do that. Absolutely no indication of what he'll become yet.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Anybody think mueller could be had for 4th+samuelsson+ 2014 3rd
You mean the guy that was a UFA in the summer? Shero didn't want him for free, so why would he want to trade for him?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I doubt we're talking to Vancouver. I think the conspiracy angle is that maybe it was a smokescreen by the Canucks to make it look like Washington is interested and drive the price up on somebody else. I doubt that's true but it could be what McKenzie was hinting at.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
kbuck8851

Would this go down?

What are the thoughts on if this could happen or should...

Pens trade:
Kennedy
Tangradi/Jeffrey
2013 2nd Round Pick
2014 Middle Round Pick

Minnesota trade:
Setoguchi
Clutterbuck

Setoguchi had been discussed to death on here so I'll skip that but, adding Clutterbuck would instill some youth and off the wall physicality to our bottom six which is missing for sure. It's time to start replacing some of the aging vets down there before the wheels completely fall off.

Closed Thread