HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are NHLers less religious?

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Hnidy Hnight

vCash: 500
It's true, God didnt want the Devils to win last year

Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 PM
kassian

Yes, and I'm glad it is that way.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Xodius

Rocco Grimaldi certainly disagrees with this thread.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Pizza Rules
Ilya Kovalsucks

There are a **** ton of churches where I live, and also Abbotsford BC is a hot bed of religion I wouldn't say ppl are less religious in Canada, just you see it more in certain areas.

Oh, and yes Shane Doan is very Christian, and I think Peter Mueller as well. And as someone already put, Mike Fisher.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

A lot of African-American athletes seem to contribute all their success to God and are very religious, and the NHL is mainly Caucasians. There are the likes of Tim Tebow as well, but yeah, I think that's why. A lot of football players come from the South where religion is really big, most American hockey players come from states where religion isn't a huge part of life. I can't think of any American NHL players that constantly are contributing their success to God.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
It's a simple statistical fact that Canada and Europe enjoy higher education rates then much of the United States. It's also a simple statistical fact that higher education rates lead to a significant increase in the percentage of atheists a population has. Finally, it's a simple statistical fact that hockey is a huge part of the culture in these high-education, atheist populations. Even in the United States, a national poll revealed that the average hockey fan tends to have more of an education (as in, at least some college) than the average football/baseball/basketball fan. So, it follows that hockey fans would be less religious.

TL;DR hockey is popular in cultures with higher education levels, which coincides with higher levels of atheism.
This is an extremely judge-mental post and disagrees with the facts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_872059.html

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...inds/27898.htm

Old
02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Ryan smyth is really religious I think.....

Old
02-03-2013, 10:58 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodius View Post

I remember during the WJC when Rocco was struggling and they mentioned his religiousness, someone posted something to the effect of "Thou shalt not pass." I was dying from that.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
As a Canadian I honestly can't think of anyone I know who goes to church.
going to church and being religious are two very different things.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
It's a simple statistical fact that Canada and Europe enjoy higher education rates then much of the United States. It's also a simple statistical fact that higher education rates lead to a significant increase in the percentage of atheists a population has. Finally, it's a simple statistical fact that hockey is a huge part of the culture in these high-education, atheist populations. Even in the United States, a national poll revealed that the average hockey fan tends to have more of an education (as in, at least some college) than the average football/baseball/basketball fan. So, it follows that hockey fans would be less religious.

TL;DR hockey is popular in cultures with higher education levels, which coincides with higher levels of atheism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importa...ion_by_country

Notable that in Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic have among the lowest level given to religions importance of anywhere in the world. Canada gives far less importance to religion then the USA.

But education? I don't buy that argument in terms of individual persons. The communities of the players could be influencing though.

Junior hockey players in Canada have to be among the least educated of all athletes, and frankly all people in North America. Basketball and Football player's almost invariably are in the NCAA. A junior player moves mostly on to more hockey... or trying to go ahead in life after giving up sport.

hmmmmm I will throw out this idea. Athlete's of any sort are more inclined to religiousity. They are so used to a "team" mentality. They are indoctrinated into it their whole lives. The more religious you get, the more it is US vs THEM. My GOD, Our GOD. That attitude does not need to be explicit. You don't need to focus so much on the US vs THEM in a church for it to be very accepted by most of it's members.

I think on an individual basis, praising god for an athlete makes sense. I mean, if you are Ray Lewis say. You make $100+ milllion dollars for playing a sport. You are idolized by hundreds of thousands of people, if you wanted to you could sleep with a zillion women, you can do or have anything you wish. Clearly an ego deflation is in order or you will start to think you are god yourself!!! Praising God in winning a championship is also kind of like saying, I am so Grateful. I am so lucky and blessed. I worked hard but I just could not be this blessed and have all of this if it is just me. It must be God helping me. An athlete would not think this in a literal sense, but would act it out.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I think they're less demonstratively religious. And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks god is going to help you win a sporting event is ridiculous. What about all of those of us who are terrible at sports? Are we all super evil?(Well, I am, but I'm sure most people aren't)

"Do not be misled. God is not one to be mocked"

Old
02-03-2013, 11:07 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodius View Post

As does Cam Ward - a few interview excerpts speaking about his faith:

Ask Anything: 10 Questions With Hurricanes' Goalie Cam Ward

Quote:

On the back of your mask, there is a cross displayed there. Is this a symbol of your faith? And, also, how has your faith helped you get through bad times in a hockey season? – Brian, Kenly

It is a symbol of my faith. I am a Christian. You know, it does help me get through the ups and downs of life of being a pro hockey player. It’s first and foremost in my life and hockey comes second. To be able to put that on my mask is just another reminder for myself.
Canes' Cam Ward Grateful of God-given Talent

Quote:
“Before every game I will pray just before I go on the ice. God gave me a special talent, and I will be forever grateful for that. I feel that when I say a prayer, it helps me feel more relaxed and calm.”

Hurricane Season (also includes an interview with Matt Cullen)

Quote:

STV: You have a couple of Christian teammates here with the Hurricanes — guys like Matt Cullen and Eric Staal — and the influence of former Hurricane Glen Wesley. Is it important to you to have Christian brothers on your team?
CW: It's really important. I think back to my rookie year especially. It can be pretty intimidating when you make the NHL for the first season. When I came into the Hurricanes dressing room, one of the first guys I met was Glen Wesley (now the team's director of defensemen development). He is a strong believer, and he introduced me to a church here in Raleigh, which was huge for me being new to the area and outside my comfort zone being in the United States for the first time. He really took me under his wing, and I was lucky to have a guy like that on my team.

Obviously, he is retired now, and we have guys like Matt Cullen and Eric Staal. And as a team we have chapel here every other week to get together and reflect with one another, and just take a breather, really. Because, during the hockey schedule, it gets to be a grind with so many things going on.
Quote:
STV: You have a couple of Christian brothers on your team, including Cam Ward. Does it help you to have someone on the team who shares your faith?
MC: No doubt. I tell you what — it's pretty impressive for a kid like him and Eric Staal, too. They are both the same age, and they impress me a lot. They are both young guys who have stayed strong in their faith and who aren't afraid to share it with others in a game where it's not as much of an accepted thing to speak about your faith. To see those two young guys do all that they are doing is really impressive.

It means a lot to have guys you can confide in who share the same values and beliefs. We are able to draw from each other because there are so many ups and downs personally and as a group throughout the season. It's nice to have guys like that to feed off of.

I've been lucky to play for a long time in the league, and I understand that there are ups and downs. And for me, I try as much as I can to help my teammates out as well. Maybe not outwardly in front of everybody, but when I can, I pull a guy aside and try to help him through hard times. And I would hope other guys would do that for me, just as so many have already. It really means a lot when someone pulls you aside and lifts you up. I think, as a teammate, and as a Christian, that is the best thing that you can do.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:09 PM
OpRedDawn

vCash: 127
It's all about narcissism. Hockey players generally are more of team players vs the ME ME ME types in american sports.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 4103
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importa...ion_by_country

Notable that in Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic have among the lowest level given to religions importance of anywhere in the world. Canada gives far less importance to religion then the USA.

But education? I don't buy that argument in terms of individual persons. The communities of the players could be influencing though.

Junior hockey players in Canada have to be among the least educated of all athletes, and frankly all people in North America. Basketball and Football player's almost invariably are in the NCAA. A junior player moves mostly on to more hockey... or trying to go ahead in life after giving up sport.

hmmmmm I will throw out this idea. Athlete's of any sort are more inclined to religiousity. They are so used to a "team" mentality. They are indoctrinated into it their whole lives. The more religious you get, the more it is US vs THEM. My GOD, Our GOD. That attitude does not need to be explicit. You don't need to focus so much on the US vs THEM in a church for it to be very accepted by most of it's members.

I think on an individual basis, praising god for an athlete makes sense. I mean, if you are Ray Lewis say. You make $100+ milllion dollars for playing a sport. You are idolized by hundreds of thousands of people, if you wanted to you could sleep with a zillion women, you can do or have anything you wish. Clearly an ego deflation is in order or you will start to think you are god yourself!!! Praising God in winning a championship is also kind of like saying, I am so Grateful. I am so lucky and blessed. I worked hard but I just could not be this blessed and have all of this if it is just me. It must be God helping me. An athlete would not think this in a literal sense, but would act it out.
I wouldn't say that. The WHL has a very good educational package it offers its players. Leagues like the NBA and the NFL set restrictions on where you can be drafted (can't be drafted out of high school anymore). And for most of those that know they are going to their professional league and only do a year or two of school end up taking courses like the history of music or other fluff classes like that.

02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I have to admit, every other American league features near constant babble about how God did/will help them win. I can't say I've heard much of this from NHLers, though. Why do you think that is? Is it a Canadian thing to keep it to yourself? Or are NHLers less religious?

Error. Can't process.

Anecdotal evidence being presented as objective data.

Another coat of varnish for the cache. (Closed.)

Closed Thread