HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Ducks Extremely Fancy Photoshop/Superbowl Rage edition 7:00pm PST

Old
02-05-2013, 12:40 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I can understand TMac giving Clowe ice time, because Clowe has a long history of performing; there is some sense in giving Clowe time to work out of his slump, especially when there are not many other options. I can also understand TMac prematurely giving Shepard 2nd-line ice time, because he's a talented player at his core. Rewarding Desjardins with increased duties is also acceptable, because his effort and drive has been visibly clear on the ice.

But what has Handzus done to justify a roster spot, much less top-9 minutes? He was absolutely atrocious last year, and has been only slightly better this year. His underlying statistics look terrible...

Murray is also slightly puzzling. Yes, he has a history of high performance, but the team has PLENTY of options to replace him.

The other scary thing is, that the first line wasn't exactly productive this game. Not just on the scoreboard; I didn't think they were generating chances.

Hypothetical lineup:

Marleau-Thornton-Wingels
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Galiardi-Gomez-Pavelski
Shepard-Desjardins-Burish

Boyle-Stuart
Vlasic-Burns/Demers
Demers/Irwin-Braun
Not only is Handzus getting top-9 ice time, he's getting the most EVTOI of any forward, while also playing significant time on special teams. It's moronic. Absolutely moronic.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:41 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
While I am indeed pissed about this loss I'm not gonna worry too much about it yet. We didn't have Boyle and they only tied it because of a bad unlucky bounce. Our powerplay was getting lots of good chances but I think if we had Boyle there instead of Demers I think we would have gotten at least one goal on the PP. Havlat is playing well and getting lots of good chances, same with Gomez. I noticed more of a jump in Handzus' step so hopefully he starts getting on the scoreboard. Also I think we took way too many penalties (Pavelski's delay of game was a **** call I know) and its hard to generate a consistent attack when you're on the PK for half of the game. Besides I think once we have Burns back our team will be a lot better and he can definitely help spark our offense.
I don't think it is puckmoving, since Demers, Braun, and dareIsay Irwin can move the puck. They showed that tonight.

Establishing the zone was an issue. Inconsistent zone-entries, losing the battles-down low, constantly being outworked and/or outnumbered. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen the defensemen take more risks in keeping the puck in, but at least I would have liked to have seen the third-man high help out down low. To be fair, both sides played a conservative game, but it seemed that Anaheim did a better job cycling down low. Their strategy for gaining and holding the zone was simply superior. No one-and-dones like SJ....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Well, the only pairing where a player can jump up to hold the zone is Irwin-Braun, since both are capable puck-handlers and both are good skaters. Demers can't because if he's beaten, it's a 2-on-Murray. Stuart sort of can, but he also knows his limitations.

When we have something like

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Some combo of Irwin/Braun/Demers

Then I think we'll see more aggressive keep-ins and more defensemen getting involved in the play, since all of those players are competent defensively and there is an offensive puck-handler on every pairing, and most importantly, everyone is a good skater.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
sjshrky27

IMO Wingles has not done much.Honestly kinda not liking him much so far... Curious about everyone's opinion on him.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:51 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
They are completely lacking confidence and you can see it in every play. Everyone is hesitating to do anything, it's brutal to watch.

Coaches need to earn their salaries here and do something, this is a joke.

Agreed. It's painfully obvious - they're all taking extra seconds to make decisions, everyone is in a pass first shoot second mode, and the passes aren't even good ones.

I'd like to see.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Shepard-Couture-Havlat
Desjardins-Gomez-Wingles
Clowe-Handzus-Galiardi

Boyle-Irwin
Vlasic-Stuart
Demers-Braun
Murray

Burish is pointless out there.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
IMO Wingles has not done much.Honestly kinda not liking him much so far... Curious about everyone's opinion on him.
Same. Doesn't have that physical edge he had last season.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 AM
lsx

Quote:
Yeah, he's pretty worthless.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:54 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Agreed. It's painfully obvious - they're all taking extra seconds to make decisions, everyone is in a pass first shoot second mode, and the passes aren't even good ones.

I'd like to see.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Shepard-Couture-Havlat
Desjardins-Gomez-Wingles
Clowe-Handzus-Galiardi

Boyle-Irwin
Vlasic-Stuart
Demers-Braun
Murray

Burish is pointless out there.
Amnesty buyout kicks in at the end of the season, right? Seems like the best choice, I do not want 3 more years of what we are getting now.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:55 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Looked much better today. I know it's a short season, but 8 games is still 8 games. I'd look back to last season's full 82 if you're looking to judge a player. Wingels is still a good bottom-6 player, 7 games doesn't change that.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
SJSharks42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboThornton92 View Post
Thornton why you no effective
Hard to be effective when, minimum, three players descend upon him the second he gets the puck. Our secondary scoring sucks. Desi and Burish are terrible, Wingels is a borderline 12th/13th forward.

SJSharks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Some combo of Irwin/Braun/Demers
I love how you assume the coaching staff won't make Murray play instead of one of Braun/Demers/Irwin.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:28 AM
OrrNumber4

The sad thing is, that last year, Wingels seperated himself from the pack. This year, San Jose has Galliardi, Wingels, and Sheppard; none have shown anything noteworthy.

I suspect that Gomez is not getting more ice time because of his defensive shortcomings.

Last edited by OrrNumber4: 02-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
BadVooDoo

Quote:
Not only is Handzus getting top-9 ice time, he's getting the most EVTOI of any forward, while also playing significant time on special teams. It's moronic. Absolutely moronic.
Meanwhile, Gomez gets benched for not being able to carry Desi and Burish lol.

I don't understand TMac's thought process when it comes to Murray and Zeus. I mean you'd think he'd have figured out by now why opposing coaches always have their guys dump the puck into Murray's side of the ice and attack his side on the PP or why they always salivate and get their skill guys out against Zeu's.

Maybe it's a seniority thing and TMac is giving Murray and Zeus the benefit of the doubt over Irwin and Gomez because they've been around longer, but in a shortened season where every point counts he doesn't have the luxury to give a guy a dozen games to get his act together.

BadVooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Get Hertl from Europe already. He has more offensive skill than any of the bottom six guys. He's been playing against men in the Czech league anyways. Just give him sheltered minutes. He can't be worse than Handzus and his hands and hockey iq are better than Gali, Wingels, Desi, etc. We just need another guy without stone hands and some offensive skill.

Marleau Thornton Pavelski
Clowe- Couture- Sheppard
Gomez-Hertl- Havlat
Scrub1-Scrub2-Scrub3

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:38 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

I agree with a poster on the mainboards who was asking what Greiss was doing on that fluke goal. It's a lucky goal nonetheless, but what was he doing sliding over and turning his entire body towards Stuart? Stuart was all alone in that corner. Typically during rim-arounds, the goalies stay centered in the crease and slightly interfere with the forechecker.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Greiss deserved a better fate but thems the breaks sometimes. When Boyle and Burns get back into the lineup, their puck movement is going to be pretty smooth. Losing Boyle tonight wasn't as bad simply because Demers was in there doing well. Loved the penalty kill. Power play was stagnant until the last one when they played with some urgency. That's the difference. When they play on the power play with urgency, they ALL move their feet.

Can't win them all and there are things that need to change. Handzus is only able to give them some face-off ability but they can get that elsewhere. Clowe is useless right now. Murray, while limited, is at least providing some solid defense. If Clowe doesn't pick it up within the next month, he's got to go. Wingels was awful in there...I don't know what Galiardi did to lose his spot and Wingels' performance did nothing to keep him in there tomorrow.

Sharks need Boyle tomorrow to have any hope against the Hawks. If not, I don't think it will matter what the lineup is going to be but Wingels out, Galiardi in. Irwin out, Boyle in. Sheppard-Couture-Havlat, Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi, and Desi-Handzus-Burish.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:40 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Get Hertl from Europe already. He has more offensive skill than any of the bottom six guys. He's been playing against men in the Czech league anyways. Just give him sheltered minutes. He can't be worse than Handzus and his hands and hockey iq are better than Gali, Wingels, Desi, etc. We just need another guy without stone hands and some offensive skill.

Marleau Thornton Pavelski
Clowe- Couture- Sheppard
Gomez-Hertl- Havlat
Scrub1-Scrub2-Scrub3
I believe bringing over Hertl now would violate the international transfer agreement. He would have to be on waivers?

Someone correct me...

Old
02-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Where does it say that?

Also would it be so bad to try out a Gali-Sheppard-Wingels line instead of icing Handzus?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:41 AM
SJSharks42

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Looked much better today. I know it's a short season, but 8 games is still 8 games. I'd look back to last season's full 82 if you're looking to judge a player. Wingels is still a good bottom-6 player, 7 games doesn't change that.
What in the hell has he been doing to earn a spot?

SJSharks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:42 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Wingels was awful in there...I don't know what Galiardi did to lose his spot and Wingels' performance did nothing to keep him in there tomorrow..
I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't really sure what people on here were talking about when they said he had a great game. Maybe he didn't have an awful game, but he was average to below average. Just had that one good pass to Vlasic.
I also would have preferred if they put Demers on the 1st PP unit instead of Irwin near the end of the game.

Quote:
If not, I don't think it will matter what the lineup is going to be but Wingels out, Galiardi in. Irwin out, Boyle in. Sheppard-Couture-Havlat, Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi, and Desi-Handzus-Burish.
Speed on the back-end is crucial against the Hawks. I'd put Irwin in instead of Murray, but you know the coaches aren't going to do that.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:43 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Greiss deserved a better fate but thems the breaks sometimes. When Boyle and Burns get back into the lineup, their puck movement is going to be pretty smooth. Losing Boyle tonight wasn't as bad simply because Demers was in there doing well. Loved the penalty kill. Power play was stagnant until the last one when they played with some urgency. That's the difference. When they play on the power play with urgency, they ALL move their feet.

Can't win them all and there are things that need to change. Handzus is only able to give them some face-off ability but they can get that elsewhere. Clowe is useless right now. Murray, while limited, is at least providing some solid defense. If Clowe doesn't pick it up within the next month, he's got to go. Wingels was awful in there...I don't know what Galiardi did to lose his spot and Wingels' performance did nothing to keep him in there tomorrow.

Sharks need Boyle tomorrow to have any hope against the Hawks. If not, I don't think it will matter what the lineup is going to be but Wingels out, Galiardi in. Irwin out, Boyle in. Sheppard-Couture-Havlat, Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi, and Desi-Handzus-Burish.
I could really get on board with Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi. Nothing has been able to spark Clowe, and Gomez is looking to prove himself. I'd personally like something like Galiardi-Gomez-Pavelski, spreading the talent on the other lines, but I want to give Gomez a shot at this point.

I haven't been playing super-close attention to the games, but what has Sheppard done to earn 2nd line ice time? What has Tmac seen in him? I suspected it was just allowing a player with highly-touted potential a shot....but in hindsight that has never been Tmac's style.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
I haven't been playing super-close attention to the games, but what has Sheppard done to earn 2nd line ice time? What has Tmac seen in him? I suspected it was just allowing a player with highly-touted potential a shot....but in hindsight that has never been Tmac's style.
Without sounding too cliche, he's been doing the little things right. Supporting the breakout, little passes to continue the cycle, physical, etc. I have no problem with him on the 2nd line for now. Just replace Clowe with Havlat.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 AM
BadVooDoo

Quote:
I could really get on board with Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi. Nothing has been able to spark Clowe, and Gomez is looking to prove himself. I'd personally like something like Galiardi-Gomez-Pavelski, spreading the talent on the other lines, but I want to give Gomez a shot at this point.

Sheppard, along with the rest of the 2nd line were great against Nashville. Sheppard was good for +11 corsi and +2 scoring chances, Couture +12/+3, and Clowe +12/+2. Everyone else was either negative or even that game.

BadVooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:55 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Amnesty buyout kicks in at the end of the season, right? Seems like the best choice, I do not want 3 more years of what we are getting now.
At this point I am still cutting Burish some slack. Remember there was no real training camp or preseason, he has literally only played with any of these guys for a month (less?). It is why the lockout is worse on teams with more turnover, new guys will take longer to adjust. Granted, if he still appears to not be doing much by the end of the season, maybe I'd agree, but he was a decent enough player in the past I'm ready to cut him a little slack through game 8.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:57 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVooDoo View Post
Sheppard, along with the rest of the 2nd line were great against Nashville. Sheppard was good for +11 corsi and +2 scoring chances, Couture +12/+3, and Clowe +12/+2. Everyone else was either negative or even that game.
At a glance, I would say that Couture and Clowe are directly affecting Sheppard's underlying numbers. In any case, why was he awarded that spot in the first place?

Maybe he's just been the best of the rest of the garbage on the bottom-6. Because on his own, I see nothing in his play to justify a 2nd-line spot.