HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Ducks Extremely Fancy Photoshop/Superbowl Rage edition 7:00pm PST

Old
02-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

vCash: 500
Can't believe I wasted two hours of my life watching this game. Two goals on fluke bounces, the second after a pick right in front of the ref. Awesome. As expected our offense has looked anemic since the top line stopped scoring at a ridiculous pace, so that's still our biggest concern moving forward. On the plus side, the D all played really well and Greiss was fantastic. Up front I thought Cooch, Havlat, and Sheppard were the standouts. Can't wait for Burns and Boyle to get back, this game would've been in the bag with those two in the lineup.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
BadVooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
At a glance, I would say that Couture and Clowe are directly affecting Sheppard's underlying numbers. In any case, why was he awarded that spot in the first place?

Maybe he's just been the best of the rest of the garbage on the bottom-6. Because on his own, I see nothing in his play to justify a 2nd-line spot.
He's been okay, and other than Gomez he was probably the best person to move up to the 2nd line so that TMac could revisit last years failed Handzus/Havlat experiment.

BadVooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:20 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
At a glance, I would say that Couture and Clowe are directly affecting Sheppard's underlying numbers. In any case, why was he awarded that spot in the first place?

Maybe he's just been the best of the rest of the garbage on the bottom-6. Because on his own, I see nothing in his play to justify a 2nd-line spot.
He was a top 10 pick who was rushed into the NHL. If anything the Sharks are acting on the notion that he has potential and should be given a shot with skill players. It's the best way to give him confidence and help him reach a portion of his potential. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but it makes some sense.

I agree with WTFetus that Havlat should replace Clowe on that line.

Havlat is the most under appreciated forward on the Sharks by the coaching staff. He's too skilled to be taking even strength shifts with Handzus and Wingels. I honestly want to see him play with Thornton, I think that would be a dangerous combination, and in their brief moments together they looked quite good.

I'd like to see lines like this, experimental, but worth a shot

Pavs-Joe-Havlat
Marleau-Couture-Sheppard
Clowe-Gomez-Galiardi
Wingels-Handzus-Desi/Burish

Lebanezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50

Found this is the old gif bin.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

Sheppard has done nothing but be a good solid puck player regardless of his linemates when he's been in the lineup. Havlat has been pushed down because out of him and Clowe, Havlat is better at potentially carrying a line with puck possession and the third line needs it and his speed when Handzus continues to get time there because they're overrating his face-off and shot-blocking contributions to their success.

The bottom six isn't bad in terms of ability and overall individual play. They're all finding some way to contribute. They're just not gelling at even strength and putting pucks in the net. With the turnover, I understand why but the line shuffling is only going to delay the desired end result. However, in TMac's situation, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't considering the circumstances of the shortened season.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:56 AM
JumboThornton92

Oh wow, Handzus had more icetime than anyone not named Stuart or Vlasic, and I guess we shouldn't take this game too hard, Matt Irwin practically led all defenceman in PP time

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboThornton92 View Post
Oh wow, Handzus had more icetime than anyone not named Stuart or Vlasic, and I guess we shouldn't take this game too hard, Matt Irwin practically led all defenceman in PP time

You mean even strength ice time right? There were quite a few forwards who had more TOI than Handzus. Either way, that is inexcusable.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:33 AM
sjshark91

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Clowe Me

I only saw the play once, but was Vlasic really interfered with on the Souray goal or did he dress it up trying to draw a call?

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I only saw the play once, but was Vlasic really interfered with on the Souray goal or did he dress it up trying to draw a call?

A little bit of both. It was a clear pick, but Pickles also went down easier than he normally would have.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
SharksFan1

They always seem to lose when I go to a game at the Pond.

Well at least they scored a goal this time.

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks42 View Post
What in the hell has he been doing to earn a spot?
Nothing. Some people really love the guy for some reason despite his complete lack of offense. When I see people slot him on the first line I literally want to punch a baby. He is currently our most overrated player. He has physicality and decent speed and thats just about it.

I gotta say after watching the game last night the only two things I got out of it is that griess is playing really well and should get more starts, and everyone on the team was invisible for most of the game. Every now and then someone would do something but then shift after shift would happen where Boone did anything of note.

Let's hope getting a game against a team that plays a more open style will help the sharks also open up a bit. They are really slow and bogged down right now, quite unfun to watch compared to the style they had to start the year.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
JumboThornton92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
You mean even strength ice time right? There were quite a few forwards who had more TOI than Handzus. Either way, that is inexcusable.
Yes, right!

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Phu

Quote:
When you consider this, the only plausible explanations are that 1) one or more of the studs are sick and are being held back, or 2) handzus is getting so hammered that he can't change and ends up staying out beyond his shifts.

Given that we've seen zeus appear after TV timeouts, I'm really suspicious it's 1.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
When you consider this, the only plausible explanations are that 1) one or more of the studs are sick and are being held back, or 2) handzus is getting so hammered that he can't change and ends up staying out beyond his shifts.

Given that we've seen zeus appear after TV timeouts, I'm really suspicious it's 1.
Or you know, Barrie's explanation. The Sharks have been getting a ton of PP minutes in the past few games. The more PPs you have, the less ES minutes you give to your top liners. You can't expect the top line to get 16+ ES minutes, 4+ PP minutes, and ~1 PK minute. 20+ minutes a night will be suicide in this shortened season.

I'm liking the minute distribution so far this season. The top-lines still have plenty of opportunities to score, they're just in a dry-spell and the PP has been lackluster. And it's not like Handzus is causing goals against either.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
dwood16

Guys, Havlat has been terrible!! He's gotten chances because of his linemates for the most part and has absolutely fumbled most of them away. He isn't skating well or hard at all and looks like he's playing hurt.

I was at the game last night and he looked as bad as Clowe out there. A step faster though of course but not fast. I literally think he's hurt or the injury has seriously made him a few steps slower. And his hands ..wtf? He can't handle the puck!

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:49 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Guys, Havlat has been terrible!! He's gotten chances because of his linemates for the most part and has absolutely fumbled most of them away. He isn't skating well or hard at all and looks like he's playing hurt.

I was at the game last night and he looked as bad as Clowe out there. A step faster though of course but not fast. I literally think he's hurt or the injury has seriously made him a few steps slower. And his hands ..wtf? He can't handle the puck!
Can't tell if serious....

Can't handle the puck? You have to be kidding. He's the only guy on the team who can...

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:49 PM
BadVooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Or you know, Barrie's explanation. The Sharks have been getting a ton of PP minutes in the past few games. The more PPs you have, the less ES minutes you give to your top liners. You can't expect the top line to get 16+ ES minutes, 4+ PP minutes, and ~1 PK minute. 20+ minutes a night will be suicide in this shortened season.

I'm liking the minute distribution so far this season. The top-lines still have plenty of opportunities to score, they're just in a dry-spell and the PP has been lackluster. And it's not like Handzus is causing goals against either.
Yeah he is, he's a team worst -3, has a team worst corsi and leads the team in scoring chances against. Other than shootouts he's pretty much a disaster every time he steps on the ice...and you could probably make a case that if he weren't on the ice the team wouldn't need him in a shootout in the first place.

I know the team keeps track of things like scoring chances and corsi, so it's hard to explain why TMac keeps giving him ice time.

BadVooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:

Agreed. Plus I've seen Zeus take a ton of offensive zone faceoffs thus far, another reason not to chalk it up to #2. And I'm sorry but face off ability is not an excuse for getting that much more ice time. When you've got zero points in 9 games, it's clearly not having much of an impact.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Phu

Quote:

In the nashville game handzus had just about the same TOTAL ice time as the top line...

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVooDoo View Post
Yeah he is, he's a team worst -3, has a team worst corsi and leads the team in scoring chances against. Other than shootouts he's pretty much a disaster every time he steps on the ice...and you could probably make a case that if he weren't on the ice the team wouldn't need him in a shootout in the first place.

I know the team keeps track of things like scoring chances and corsi, so it's hard to explain why TMac keeps giving him ice time.
Like I said earlier, I like advanced stats, but it isn't the be-all-end-all in judging a player. He gets the most offensive zone starts but I noticed this season especially, when the top two lines are done applying offensive pressure, they get off the ice and Handzus goes on. It's pretty hard to get a positive on-ice corsi when you're playing defense on the transition. Clowe has the 2nd best corsi-on among the forwards, and you can't tell me that he's been great.
Not to mention there are 2 other people on his line. Every game I've watched so far, he definitely hasn't looked like the weakest link on his line. Those have gone to either Wingels or Galiardi.

Quote:
In the nashville game handzus had just about the same TOTAL ice time as the top line...
And those games, the top lines had nearly 5 minutes of PP time, like I was just saying...
You expect them to play 16 minutes of ES like Handzus, 5 minutes of PP, and then over a minute on the PK? That's gonna kill them.

Last edited by WTFetus: 02-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
A little bit of both. It was a clear pick, but Pickles also went down easier than he normally would have.
Thanks

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I like advanced stats, but it isn't the be-all-end-all in judging a player. He gets the most offensive zone starts but I noticed this season especially, when the top two lines are done applying offensive pressure, they get off the ice and Handzus goes on. It's pretty hard to get a positive on-ice corsi when you're playing defense on the transition.
Not to mention there are 2 other people on his line. Every game I've watched so far, he definitely hasn't looked like the weakest link on his line. Those have gone to either Wingels or Galiardi.

And those games, the top lines had nearly 5 minutes of PP time, like I was just saying...
You expect them to play 16 minutes of ES like Handzus, 5 minutes of PP, and then over a minute on the PK? That's gonna kill them.
vs Anaheim: Thorton 18, Couture 20, Handzus 17
vs Nashville: Thorton 18:43, Couture 18:54, Handzus 18:38

Handzus
  • is less talented than Thornton
  • is less conditioned than Thornton
  • has less talented linemates than Thornton
  • isn't that much better than our 4th liners

He should not be getting the same ice time as Thornton. You can argue he's better than our 4th line option, which is fine. But he still doesn't have the conditioning nor talent to go 18 minutes a night. 4th line should get more of Handzus' minutes. Especially if a lot of Handzus's minutes are "hard" PK minutes.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
It's pretty tough to watch Koala & Company fiddle so much with the lines after the start the Sharks got off to. It's no coincidence they've got worse as the lines have become increasingly ridiculous.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:02 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post

I agree I thought Havlat was a fast player right now Sheppard looks quicker.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote