HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFers on Twitter

Old
06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
HFers on Twitter

I haven't been around on these boards much of late but I have been using Twitter more and more lately (was stanchly anti-Twitter until about 9 months ago, I don't know what happened).

Just wondering if anybody here is on Twitter, post your handle here.

Mine is @TheHosers_DSJ.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:54 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

@Idon'tuseTwitter #Social_Recluse

...but I have been to a few fb pages of posters here, mostly to put faces with usernames / avatars.

Still doesn't help me to always keep straight what "camps" posters are in as regards love/hate opinions of certain Sabre players, Ruff, and other NHLers - sometimes I think we need a sticky thread for that.

I'm a very infrequent fb user, maybe 1/month, & don't post any new content on my page, and decided shortly after creating account not to add any more friends because I'm concerned about mutual privacy. My extended family has an invitation-only fb page, which I just found out about. Twitter? Nope.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
ohheyimmark

@ohheyimmark. A fair amount of hockey speak, music stuff, some talk with friends, general stupidity.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Cool.

Mine is pretty much exclusively hockey talk with a bit of baseball and football talk mixed in during the off-season. Small bit of music talk but not much at all outside of sports.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

@jimbobv2

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:01 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

@beechsack

Generally useless tweets. Just like my posts here.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
@beechsack

Generally useless tweets. Just like my posts here.
Haha I already follow you. I thoroughly enjoyed your squabble with Stewart last week.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I don't get the point of twitter if you aren't a celebrity/athelete/politician/famous. Like....who really cares what I have to say? If you do care, I probably have your phone number.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I don't get the point of twitter if you aren't a celebrity/athelete/politician/famous. Like....who really cares what I have to say? If you do care, I probably have your phone number.
The same could be said about any other social networking site.
It's useful for quick news and such, and unlike other social networking sites, is more minimalist, which means celebrities like to use it to connect with fans.
I've always liked it, but that's probably because I was an early adopter.

As for mine: @jfb392
If you don't like me on here, I wouldn't recommend following me on there.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:05 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Right, but how many people use Twitter and follow people they actually know?

I'm just not sure what the value is.

"Hey guys I'm at work, this sucks"

"Hey dude did you know that Chara sucks?"

"Wow stuck in traffic again"

"@somerandomstranger hey dude you're totally wrong, Just Pizza sucks!!"

No offense, but I don't think everyday working people are interesting enough for twitter.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
I link twitter to my facebook so my tweets post as statuses.

Mostly I'm on twitter for news and to see what others post. I've won some pretty awesome things there, though.

I'm @icegirl818 on there, btw.

AV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Right, but how many people use Twitter and follow people they actually know?

I'm just not sure what the value is.

"Hey guys I'm at work, this sucks"

"Hey dude did you know that Chara sucks?"

"Wow stuck in traffic again"

"@somerandomstranger hey dude you're totally wrong, Just Pizza sucks!!"

No offense, but I don't think everyday working people are interesting enough for twitter.
This is what I used to think, I was strong against Twitter but it's actually an extremely useful resource. I use it almost exclusively for news and finding information from outlets that I would otherwise never know even existed.

For instance, I have a huge interest in advanced stats and have found dozens of really awesome stats guys that write for different teams across the league that I never would've heard about if it weren't for being linked there from other people on Twitter. That is just one tiny example but Twitter really can be a fantastic resource for things like that. Twitter is also where most news breaks.

For me (and most, I think) it's about that type of stuff much more so than the status update type stuff that you're referring to here.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:39 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

My twitter handle is my name, so I'm iffy about posting it on a forum. If you get followed by some random guy, it's probably me.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
This is what I used to think, I was strong against Twitter but it's actually an extremely useful resource. I use it almost exclusively for news and finding information from outlets that I would otherwise never know even existed.

For instance, I have a huge interest in advanced stats and have found dozens of really awesome stats guys that write for different teams across the league that I never would've heard about if it weren't for being linked there from other people on Twitter. That is just one tiny example but Twitter really can be a fantastic resource for things like that. Twitter is also where most news breaks.

For me (and most, I think) it's about that type of stuff much more so than the status update type stuff that you're referring to here.
This.

It's way easier for most news organizations, as well as their reporters, to use twitter to break news. As well as link folks into their website.

Twitter's got one very unique advantage over newspapers and news websites: no editors. You get exactly what the reporter is thinking, seeing, etc. Less chance of a site "agenda-izing" the story.

I followed the Mario Williams signing saga entirely by twitter. It was pretty awesome.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

If used correctly, Twitter is wonderful. As a budding journalist, there's no better tool for networking or making a name for yourself.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

What I find funny about twitter is how people say "hey I get breaking news before anyone else".

But the funny part is, in about 5 minutes, if it's THAT important, that same news will be on the news websites.

And as far as Ashton Kutcher, Nathan Gerbe, Anderson Cooper, Gene Simmons, or Pepsi (or add anyone here) doing twitter... I couldn't care less what they have to say

If it's THAT important, I'll read or hear about it 5 minutes later than the twitter drones.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
What I find funny about twitter is how people say "hey I get breaking news before anyone else".

But the funny part is, in about 5 minutes, if it's THAT important, that same news will be on the news websites.

And as far as Ashton Kutcher, Nathan Gerbe, Anderson Cooper, Gene Simmons, or Pepsi (or add anyone here) doing twitter... I couldn't care less what they have to say

If it's THAT important, I'll read or hear about it 5 minutes later than the twitter drones.
Agreed. If you don't subscribe to them, then it doesn't have to be that way. I don't, and mine isn't.

If you're into a daily download of info, twitter isn't the answer. If you're following a story closely (Mario Williams signing, Congress working down the wire on some new law, etc) twitter is far further ahead than five minutes.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Agreed. If you don't subscribe to them, then it doesn't have to be that way. I don't, and mine isn't.

If you're into a daily download of info, twitter isn't the answer. If you're following a story closely (Mario Williams signing, Congress working down the wire on some new law, etc) twitter is far further ahead than five minutes.
Ok, take the Mario Williams signing.... From what i read, The public found out within a few minutes of twitter rumbling about it. So what? It didn't adversely affect anything in my world to find out minutes later

It seems like a "I found out before YOU found out"

Just couldn't care less if you do

Same can be said about congress working on a law etc....

If it's that important for the public to know immediately, it will be on TV, the radio, news websites etc.

I haven't heard or read of a reason why twitter is so important, besides the "I found out before youuuu did" mentality.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Ok, take the Mario Williams signing.... From what i read, The public found out within a few minutes of twitter rumbling about it. So what? It didn't adversely affect anything in my world to find out minutes later

If it's that important for the public to know immediately, it will be on TV, the radio, news websites etc.

I haven't heard or read of a reason why twitter is so important, besides the "I found out before youuuu did" mentality.
That's not it at all. I only use twitter to follow big stories, like the two I mentioned. Twitter gives you the advantage of subscribing to numerous news outlets/reporters, and getting everything on one site.

Mario Williams (personal interest): The public didn't find out a few minutes later. It was often 30 minutes later that news was going up on BB.com, TBN, etc. National outlets were even slower. If you're an excited fan, you could subscribe to everyone relevant, and know exactly what was going on.

Debt limit increase: twitter was definitely a lot faster, by 30 minutes or better the entire time. I'm a military officer, and the debt increase was the difference in getting paid during that week. I needed to make financial decisions, and often twitter put me over an hour ahead. That might not sound like much, but it was.

Some folks are into technology just because it's neat, or they are into knowing faster. I'm not into either, and I think twitter is pretty useful at times.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:24 AM
jfb392

Seriously, I don't get how it's worse than any other social networking site.
You could argue that all of them are pointless if you don't like hearing about the details of the lives of regular people.
They are popular though because it's human nature to like attention, to want to feel important, and to vent.

It's also useful if you don't have any other social networking sites.
I've made a few friends after being on the Internet for almost 15 years, so it's useful for keeping up with them.
I don't have some of their numbers and some I just can't text since they are from other countries and are charged for international texts, so Twitter is a good way around that.
I've been found by some people I hadn't heard from in years and I've found others just because you start to remember the handles people use.

If you don't like it that's fine, but I don't understand the need to start stereotyping it by acting like everything tweeted is useless.
It reminds me of when people used to mock me for using the Internet when I was in like 5th grade.
Hilarious thing is that now none of them can live without it.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post

Old
06-11-2012, 02:00 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Seriously, I don't get how it's worse than any other social networking site.
You could argue that all of them are pointless if you don't like hearing about the details of the lives of regular people.
They are popular though because it's human nature to like attention, to want to feel important, and to vent.

It's also useful if you don't have any other social networking sites.
I've made a few friends after being on the Internet for almost 15 years, so it's useful for keeping up with them.
I don't have some of their numbers and some I just can't text since they are from other countries and are charged for international texts, so Twitter is a good way around that.
I've been found by some people I hadn't heard from in years and I've found others just because you start to remember the handles people use.

If you don't like it that's fine, but I don't understand the need to start stereotyping it by acting like everything tweeted is useless.
It reminds me of when people used to mock me for using the Internet when I was in like 5th grade.
Hilarious thing is that now none of them can live without it.
On Facebook, I "follow" my own personal friends. On twitter people follow random strangers and stalk celebrities. You can just "follow" anyone, most other social networking sites (the ones I've been on) require approval from the person.

I do use twitter twice a year, I follow Bob MacKenzie and Darren Dreger on trade deadline day and free agency day.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Luceni

I've got accounts on both (twitter, fb) sites but I don't use twitter that much. But it would be nice to have a few serious sabres fans on my fb friendslist....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:13 AM
jfb392

Quote:
On Facebook, I "follow" my own personal friends. On twitter people follow random strangers and stalk celebrities. You can just "follow" anyone, most other social networking sites (the ones I've been on) require approval from the person.

I do use twitter twice a year, I follow Bob MacKenzie and Darren Dreger on trade deadline day and free agency day.
Plenty of people follow random strangers on Facebook too.
As for the celebrities thing, it's not really stalking them since most create accounts to connect with fans.
That's a popular use because it is much more simple than other social networking sites and doesn't require a wealth of personal information.

You also cannot just follow anyone.
Users can protect their account, much like I do, and all follower requests must be approved.
If the user doesn't accept you, you cannot view their tweets.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Why do we have a thread for arguing about twitter.

And no I do not have a twitter account, although I have used it before on FA day and trade deadline days to get info from people.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote