HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Markov Conundrum

Old
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

vCash: 500
The Markov Conundrum

I would like to open up a discussion on a subject that may be too sensitive for some,a subject that might illicit knee jerk reactions, but one which I think needs to be at least explored.

IF Markov continues his excellent play AND stays healthy, should we consider trading The General?

Here is my rationale for considering this move:

A) Even if we are in a playoff position this season, we are not likely going to be making the cup finals (let alone winning).

B) If Markov keeps his great season going, his stock is never going to be higher than it will be this trade deadline for a cup contending team. remember, he isn't getting younger

C) Subban and Diaz are likely considered our "future" offensive "go to" guys from the blue line, moving Markov opens up those roles for them to finish the season. This also gives these guys the knowledge over the summer that they will be expected to run the show, which will hopefully give them added motivation to come into camp in great shape and ready to go for next season

D) Giving Markov to a cup contender could net us a strong return since vetran offensive generals like Markov are an always sought commodity. Few years back we traded away Rivet for Gorges and a 1st that turned into Pac. Markov should be able to give us a solid return as well.

E) This is considered a very deep draft year. Snagging at least another 1st round pick could have many advantages

Just to be clear, I am a fan of Markov and I have no problems keeping him going forward as having a healthy Markov on our team makes us better short term. I just think the idea of moving Markov should be at least explored.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Andy

...No.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Trading high is something that just about never happens in sports these days.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
No with guys like Beaulieu and Diaz. It's much better to keep him around to help rookies higher their game.

And giving him to a cup contender team is not going to get us a high draft pick, besides we may be cup contenders ourselves if we can keep the machine rolling.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Mrb1p

Markov is a habs for life. He's one of the only one that is from the bad days(really bad days.) He knows what not to/to do.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

he's too essential at the moment. If PK or Diaz can start too QB the PP like he can then maybe.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:45 PM
HatTricK09

No. Markov stays with us.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
No, Markov is going to retire as a Habs!

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kue
Interviewing for GM

There is currently no evidence to support the claim that we are not cup contenders. Therefore, no lets not consider trading Markov.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

1) IF we're good enough for playoffs, why trade markov?

2) IF we aren't ranked in playoff position and trade him to someone who is, it's prob a late 1st.

3) The young guys aren't ready.

Still, in conclusion, you always consider it. If the price is awesome, cya markov. That simple.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Having Markov stay to finish his career with us is a warm and fuzzy feeling. But, completely dismissing the possibility of moving him does not help the team in the long run.

Take Sundin for example. The team wanted to move him, but he held the team to his No Trade. They got nothing for him, and likely set that franchise back a bit. While not entirely the same situation, you have a chance at 1-2 good assets for someone who is not going to be around to see (hopefully) our next cup. Whereas those 1-2 assets could potentially play a big role for the years to come.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Nobody is going to agree with this but yes, we should consider dealing him.

The better he plays though, the higher the return price should be. We shouldn't just give him away.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:52 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kue View Post
There is currently no evidence to support the claim that we are not cup contenders.
While it is early in the season to say that we are not a cup contender, the likelyhood of the team "going for it" is still low. MB is not going to be a buyer at the deadline, this team is not shaped to be a playoff team yet. So unless you are a buyer at the deadline (whether you actually make a move or not), you are not a cup contender. Unless you are willing to mortgage the future, you are not "going for it"

Old
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Drive425

With the wealth of knowledge and experience he can share with these young dmen coming up I would have to say no. He can do much more good for the future of this team helping those guys.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Nobody is going to agree with this but yes, we should consider dealing him.

The better he plays though, the higher the return price should be. We shouldn't just give him away.
Well no GM will be stupid enough not to take in consideration his previous injuries and age in the negotiations. I don't think we could so much out of the deal.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Well no GM will be stupid enough not to take in consideration his previous injuries and age in the negotiations. I don't think we could so much out of the deal.
If he plays the entire season, and is healthy, and is playing high quality hockey, then his history doesn't play much of a factor since a team willing to trade for him is trying to make a run for the cup. Any player can get hurt, whether they had a couple bad seasons of injuries or are ironmen who never missed games. It's the risk of taking to the ice every night. I don't see this as being an issue reducing the potential return for what the benefit would be of having him playing top quality hockey

Old
02-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I would like to open up a discussion on a subject that may be too sensitive for some,a subject that might illicit knee jerk reactions, but one which I think needs to be at least explored.

IF Markov continues his excellent play AND stays healthy, should we consider trading The General?

Here is my rationale for considering this move:

A) Even if we are in a playoff position this season, we are not likely going to be making the cup finals (let alone winning).

B) If Markov keeps his great season going, his stock is never going to be higher than it will be this trade deadline for a cup contending team. remember, he isn't getting younger

C) Subban and Diaz are likely considered our "future" offensive "go to" guys from the blue line, moving Markov opens up those roles for them to finish the season. This also gives these guys the knowledge over the summer that they will be expected to run the show, which will hopefully give them added motivation to come into camp in great shape and ready to go for next season

D) Giving Markov to a cup contender could net us a strong return since vetran offensive generals like Markov are an always sought commodity. Few years back we traded away Rivet for Gorges and a 1st that turned into Pac. Markov should be able to give us a solid return as well.

E) This is considered a very deep draft year. Snagging at least another 1st round pick could have many advantages

Just to be clear, I am a fan of Markov and I have no problems keeping him going forward as having a healthy Markov on our team makes us better short term. I just think the idea of moving Markov should be at least explored.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Wait a year and see what is going on. By then Tinordi and Beaulieu be ready.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Beendair Donedat

Guys when you're referring to the Habs and it's a single person it's not plurarized and becomes Hab.

For example: Markov will retire as a Hab.

Not as a Habs. It's even more annoying than someone spelling Josh Georges.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
groovejuice

Thread title sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel!

If Markov gets to a situation like Iginla, where he has no cup and the team is failing, then I would try to trade him to a team of his choice.

In the meantime, I think he's far too valuable as a player and mentor to part with him for anything less than a king's ransom.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Beendair Donedat

I figure you'd get a king's ransom from a team like Detroit for Markov... But at 6-2 you can't think about trading him, he's carried this team so far. I'll eat crow when I said he wasn't a number one defenseman anymore. He's all of that and more.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Zorba

Quote:
While it is early in the season to say that we are not a cup contender, the likelyhood of the team "going for it" is still low. MB is not going to be a buyer at the deadline, this team is not shaped to be a playoff team yet. So unless you are a buyer at the deadline (whether you actually make a move or not), you are not a cup contender. Unless you are willing to mortgage the future, you are not "going for it"
When you have Carey Price , you are most definitely a playoff contender barring injuries. If at the deadline Bergevin thinks this team can make or let alone challenge in the playoffs , there is no reason to think he would not try to upgrade the team.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
lou4gehrig

What's up with all the trading of Eller, Markov, etc.? Can't we just play with our team and utilize our depth? Why does every potential extra asset have to be traded to make the team slightly better?

Let the young guys like Eller play. Like the vets like Markov lead. Why do we are we making trades after 7-8 games of the season like we're favorites for the cup. We're not. We are a rebuilding team. Be patient and enjoy the good run.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Avim86

Markov is retiring a Hab /thread.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:
Where's the threshold then? 15% of the way through the season we are 4th. If this holds at deadline day, would you pull the trigger on a deal? What if it was 6th?

Just because we aren't sellers, does not mean we automatically have to be buyers. Its not an either/or.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Trading vets you don't expect to retain anyway for picks is a good idea. Trading successful vets who can still give you 4-5 years of good hockey while your younger players get better isn't so much a good idea. I want Markov to retire as a hab.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote