HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Pressure on the young ones...

Old
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Proust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
I understand its the second year in a three year rebuild..Silf,Zibby,Wier,Da Costa,Boro,Benoit are being asked to do too much..Is it really good for their development if the team starts losing? Even players like Condra,Greening,Regin and Turris hell even Karlsson playing 30+ mins is not good....Murray has got to do something..
How do you know how much they are being asked to do by by the coaching staff?

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Did i say that?
Yes.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
If Rik Condra's stamina were better we'd be better.

Discuss.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
I understand its the second year in a three year rebuild..Silf,Zibby,Wier,Da Costa,Boro,Benoit are being asked to do too much..Is it really good for their development if the team starts losing? Even players like Condra,Greening,Regin and Turris hell even Karlsson playing 30+ mins is not good....Murray has got to do something..
They've had almost everything go their way the past few seasons. One season of adversity won't hurt them. Besides, I'm confident in MacLean's ability to engage with the kids and keep them motivated - even when the club is struggling. With that in mind, I still am in favour of adding another depth defenceman to allow some flexibility with sending Benoit/Boro/Wiercioch to Bingo. With Cowen out for the year, we have to have two of those three guys up all season to have 7 defencemen on the NHL roster.

02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Yes.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...603&highlight=
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...563&highlight=
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...711&highlight=
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...011&highlight=

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Healfezza

Although to much pressure can be a bad thing, I believe that we are in a nice place where there is the correct amount of moderate pressure to help the kids grow.

Lets face it we arn't expected to be a team that tops the conference but rather fights for a lower seed in the playoffs. The team has been able to instill an underdog mentality carrying from last season and looks to be really working as a unit rather then individuals. This team atmosphere takes pressure off a lot of the younger players as the group intigrates our new callups.

That being said there will be bumps along the way as the players learn the ropes and fight with a condensed schedule, but as a whole it is to great benefit to Ottawa, now and in the future, to have our prospects getting NHL icetime to see if they can be important assets.

So far the callups have done nothing but impress in my opinion. These guys were able to start off the season in the AHL making them game ready from day 1. Weir/Boro/Benoit have all filled their roles with steady play as they fight for permenant NHL jobs. Silf is still adjusting but he doesn't look out of place. Zbad has come up and been a great player despite his limited ice time. O'brien has impressed and is starting to prove to be an NHL talent despite everyone writing him off for the last few years.

The pressure isn't hurting, but rather helping these guys grow in a good controlled atmosphere where the coach is steering the ship.

Disappointing players this season so far: Lats. Regin. Daugavins. A note on Dawg though, he plays with lots of energy and drive but I find that more often then not he ends up with a broken play.

The coach has the power to play who is doing well and will take the opportunity leaving no room for complacency on the team.

Healfezza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Karlsson played 32 mins because we needed to catch up, the other vets are not suited for that. If Gonchar was in, this wouldn't have been an issue. Any team loses it's second best puck mover and the same thing happens. If this was an every time thing, then we'd have an issue.
We did need to catch up but we also decided to kill penalties with Karlsson which made his ice time go up. Agree with you on Gonchar though.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:20 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Lol.

Quote:
Too Sens:

O'Rielly
O'Byrne

Too Av's

Zibby
Wier
Puemple
Quote:
Too Sens:

Yandle
Boedker

Too Yotes:

Zibby
Lehner
2014 2nd
Quote:
Too Devils

Bishop
Zibby

Too Sens

Larsson
Quote:
To Chicago

Bishop
Condra

To Ottawa

Leddy
Oh yeah here they are.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Lol.

Oh yeah here they are.
There are only three truths in life: death, taxes, and CarknerCountry's ridiculous trade proposals.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
DA COSTA IS THE ANSWER.

Mark this down.

Also, watch Mika Zibanejad impress as he gets more responsibility. He has been nothing but dynamite in his limited shifts. Alfredsson too said watch for him.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

The "Too Devils:" and "Too Sens:" is fantastic, CarknerCountry never fails to disappoint. Never change CC, never change.

Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 02-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.
PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Rumcajs

I think some of you are failing to remember how great Da Costa played in the offensive zone last year. Totally one dimensional but he is a sure fire upgrade to "i forgot how to play offense" Regin.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
I think some of you are failing to remember how great Da Costa played in the offensive zone last year. Totally one dimensional but he is a sure fire upgrade to "i forgot how to play offense" Regin.
Lol, come again? one dimensional? He is excellent in all areas of the ice. He was actually best known for his unbelievable take-away skills when he first arrived; excellent defensively.

The only and I mean only difficulty DaCosta faced before that held him back from staying in the league was his conditioning. To perform consistently through-out the game. He was so gassed at the end of his shifts.

He has improved on that and his offensive game as well.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:20 AM
bacon25

Kids will be fine as long as the fans and organization don't give them the Nazem Kadri treatment, of expecting them to be the savior for the team and then when they don't produce points send them back down in shame.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol, come again? one dimensional? He is excellent in all areas of the ice. He was actually best known for his unbelievable take-away skills when he first arrived; excellent defensively.

The only and I mean only difficulty DaCosta faced before that held him back from staying in the league was his conditioning. To perform consistently through-out the game. He was so gassed at the end of his shifts.

He has improved on that and his offensive game as well.
I recall him being good in 2 zones; once the puck got to the defensive zone he wasn't terribly effective. Most of his takeaways were in the neutral zone. He certainly lacked when it came to board work. He also seemed to drop off as his stint in the NHL went on, hopefully his conditioning has sufficiently improved.

That said, I've been a big fan of his, because you can tell he has a head for the game (not a joke about his disproportionate head).

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Under pressure, falling down on me...

I'm fine with the team, no trades are needed imo.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
DA COSTA IS THE ANSWER.

Mark this down.

Also, watch Mika Zibanejad impress as he gets more responsibility. He has been nothing but dynamite in his limited shifts. Alfredsson too said watch for him.
Called it.

Zibanejad will be a superstar in this league. His explosiveness, gifted hands, shot, grit, frame and hockey smarts(Yes I said it) are going to make him a beast.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:45 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
Called it.

Zibanejad will be a superstar in this league. His explosiveness, gifted hands, shot, grit, frame and hockey smarts(Yes I said it) are going to make him a beast.
Potvin said it too actually, which I found quite interesting.

Mika's hockey smarts are evident when he's turning defense to offense: he does it extremely well. However, I think Silfverberg is much more gifted in maintaining possession/pressure and generating chances after setting up in the offensive zone (finding seams, getting to open lanes, getting shots on net, which might be related to offensive IQ).

I hope this becomes a skill that Mika can develop, because if he can, he'll be a premiere two-way forward in this game for a long time.

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:51 AM
ARed

I sat up close tonight with a great view of our attacking RW (Karlsson's side ) and I gotta say that the kids looked great. Silf and Zibby are making great plays and really coming along. I love it!

ARed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:10 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Called it.

Eh, I think he'll be a star... I usually reserve the word "superstar" for guys like Karlsson, Sakic, Lidstrom, Yzerman, etc...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Called it.

Based on your post it appears that Alfie "called it" and relayed the info to HF

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Lenny the Lynx

I really wanted them to keep Zibby in Bingo but I've been very pleasantly surprised with his game so far.

What will help his development is that he can play a lot of different roles. He looked comfortable with Alfie but also can take some time on the 4th line if he needs it.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote