HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
  #526
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
I would hope the Rangers can sign a goalie. I don't see the need for a forward and it is going to be a tough sell considering how many players are playing for/sitting on the Whale already and with St Croix, McColgan, Lindberg, Fasth all going there next season as well.

Thomas
Bourque
Hrivik
Yogan
Tessier
Kreider
Miller
Fasth
Lindberg
St Croix
Jean
Palmieri
Ferreiro
Mashinter
Haley
Nicholls
McColgan
Newbury

All except McColgan are either under contract or RFA's moving into next season. How do the Rangers sell a NCAA forward on signing? Where does he play? That's 18 legitimate AHL forwards already. Maybe 1-2 make the NHL? That's still 16...

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
  #527
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
I heard on our local news that QMJHL leading scorer Ben Duffy from the PEI Rocket is going to commit to the University of PEI Panther Hockey program and his buddy Josh Currie also of the Rocket is leaning towards signing an AHL contract ...team not announced . Courtesy of Fred MacDonald CBC Compass Newscast April 15th Charlottetown PEI .

I'm not sure if that means Currie is signing ASAP or if that is for next fall....anybody know if they can go straight from the Q to the A if they are undrafted ?

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
  #528
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Hate to break it to ya, Bones, but:

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
Penguins sign Eric Hartzell to a one year deal
-____________-
I quit

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 04:57 AM
  #529
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
People need to understand the Rangers aren't going to have roster spots open for a long time due to great drafting, signings and trades.

Defense

Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore, McIlrath and Skjei

Where exactly are defenseman making this team down the line?

Even if they cut Richards

Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Hagelin, Brassard, Cally, Miller, Fast, Dorsett, Boyle, Lindberg, Thomas, Clowe,

Clowe at 30 is the old guy in that group. Hrivik is interesting also.

My guess is that Clark will look to find goalie and forward talent in Europe with later round picks.

richardsequalscup* is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
  #530
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
People need to understand the Rangers aren't going to have roster spots open for a long time due to great drafting, signings and trades.

Defense

Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore, McIlrath and Skjei

Where exactly are defenseman making this team down the line?

Even if they cut Richards

Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Hagelin, Brassard, Cally, Miller, Fast, Dorsett, Boyle, Lindberg, Thomas, Clowe,

Clowe at 30 is the old guy in that group. Hrivik is interesting also.

My guess is that Clark will look to find goalie and forward talent in Europe with later round picks.
Cute list, kinda surprising though coming from a paid NHL scout.

You probably already know the deepest and most talented teams as early as this season were adding youth or other players through drafting, trades, waivers, FA's, etc.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 07:44 AM
  #531
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,290
vCash: 500
Has there been any talk about Nikita Zaitsev?

A very good right D, maybe not a perfect fit for us since he isn't an offensive specialist, but still a very good player. Potentially has more offense in him than he has shown so far.

Ola is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  #532
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Has there been any talk about Nikita Zaitsev?

A very good right D, maybe not a perfect fit for us since he isn't an offensive specialist, but still a very good player. Potentially has more offense in him than he has shown so far.
Thought I saw something about the Flyers trying to sign him.

Edit:
Yeah, here's the post from the trade forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
- Sibir Novosibirsk GM Kirill Fastovsky claimed yesterday.

"Philadelphia Flyers offered a 3-year contract to Nikita Zaitsev, 2-way of course. Considering his hard-nosed nature, i think he might just accept it", stated Fastovsky at a yearly meeting with fans.

Nikita Zaitsev is a 21-year-old 6'1", 187 lb D-man coming off his fourth KHL season with Sibir, where he was named team captain in the end of this season. This year he established himself as top-pairing and PP regular, collecting 18 (7+11) points in 49 games and one goal in 7 playoff games. Currently Zaitsev is with team Russia at the Eurochallenge, being considered a possible candidate for IIHF WC 2013. He made his debut with first Russian national side last season, when he posted an assist through three Eurotour games.

Zaitsev wasn't drafted in NHL despite being a regular during WJC 2011, where team Russia made an impressive playoff run eventually rallying from 0-3 deficit to beat Canada in the gold medal game. In 2009 he was taken 4th overall by Sibir in KHL draft and has been an important piece there ever since. He is a free agent starting April 30.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=63971717

Trxjw is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 09:30 AM
  #533
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,789
vCash: 500
Awards:
Zaitsev attended our last two prospect camps.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 10:02 AM
  #534
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Cute list, kinda surprising though coming from a paid NHL scout.

You probably already know the deepest and most talented teams as early as this season were adding youth or other players through drafting, trades, waivers, FA's, etc.
Ah, but there is a difference between wanting to add talent and that talent wanting to go to that team, no? If I was a NCAA UFA forward, why would I choose the Rangers over another team? There seems to be a glut of players pushing for spots, spots that I would want open to me.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
  #535
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would hope the Rangers can sign a goalie. I don't see the need for a forward and it is going to be a tough sell considering how many players are playing for/sitting on the Whale already and with St Croix, McColgan, Lindberg, Fasth all going there next season as well.

Thomas
Bourque
Hrivik
Yogan
Tessier
Kreider
Miller
Fasth
Lindberg
St Croix
Jean
Palmieri
Ferreiro
Mashinter
Haley
Nicholls
McColgan
Newbury

All except McColgan are either under contract or RFA's moving into next season. How do the Rangers sell a NCAA forward on signing? Where does he play? That's 18 legitimate AHL forwards already. Maybe 1-2 make the NHL? That's still 16...
Tessier is on an AHL contract and I doubt NYR would waste an NHL contract on him.. they hopefully learned that from signing stiffs like Grant, Baldwin in years past...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
  #536
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
People need to understand the Rangers aren't going to have roster spots open for a long time due to great drafting, signings and trades.
we might have depth but any team that rotates out bickel, gilroy, eminger and hamrlik to take turns getting 3:00 of ice time has openings on their rosters for people to make the team...and that doesn't even get into the possiblity of upgrading over a current guy...

some of that depth is future theoretical depth and until guys like mcilrath and skjei actually make the nhl then those spots remain 'open'

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
  #537
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Ah, but there is a difference between wanting to add talent and that talent wanting to go to that team, no? If I was a NCAA UFA forward, why would I choose the Rangers over another team? There seems to be a glut of players pushing for spots, spots that I would want open to me.
I agree, these kids want to come in and play right away, I blame the agents for steering their kids away from NYR. However if the kid is any good and wants NYR but doesn't have the cojones to come in and try and wrest a spot away from our minor leaguers I don't want him.

nrf83 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
  #538
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
I agree, these kids want to come in and play right away, I blame the agents for steering their kids away from NYR. However if the kid is any good and wants NYR but doesn't have the cojones to come in and try and wrest a spot away from our minor leaguers I don't want him.
I can tell you that if I was a forward UFA, I would be looking for the best situation to get myself NHL playing time ASAP. That opportunity is not with the Rangers

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
  #539
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Zaitsev attended our last two prospect camps.
Yeah, I'd wonder if we wouldn't be in on him.

He is a good hockey player. Being a captain of a KHL team, I doubt the AHL is an easy sell, but he would have broke our top 6 this season atleast...

Ola is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
  #540
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Any insight on Michael Kantor?

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  #541
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers 10m
#NYR agree to terms w/ forward Michael Kantor, 21, (6-0, 198 from Lake Forest, Ill.). Had been signed to ATO two days ago
Seems odd that the Rangers would sign him instead of the Whale.

33 points in 56 games with 96 PIM's?

Am I missing something?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  #542
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Seems odd that the Rangers would sign him instead of the Whale.

33 points in 56 games with 96 PIM's?

Am I missing something?
He was signed to an ATO with the Whale yesterday

I think contract goes into affect next year.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
  #543
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
He was signed to an ATO with the Whale yesterday

I think contract goes into affect next year.
Yeah, makes sense, but why go after him? Not a ton of points. Doesn't seem like he is a big fighter, what is the potential and upside?

Rangers seem to really be scouring to get some players. Especially with their lack of draft picks, these undrafted UFA's are going to be very important. At least 1 needs to have some semblance of a NHL career.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
  #544
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, makes sense, but why go after him? Not a ton of points. Doesn't seem like he is a big fighter, what is the potential and upside?

Rangers seem to really be scouring to get some players. Especially with their lack of draft picks, these undrafted UFA's are going to be very important. At least 1 needs to have some semblance of a NHL career.
Bueke was his coach last year...I know nothing about him...seems to plays with an edge.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:03 AM
  #545
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Old writeup on Kantor:

Quote:
I thought Kantor might have an outside chance of being drafted last season after making the jump to the OHL from the NAHL, however his name went uncalled in June. Fast forward a season and Iím still on the fence on this one. Kantor is another guy that really can bring a physical element and can certainly impact a game using his fists as he is no stranger to dropping the gloves. Supplement that with the fact that he is capable of making an impact on the score-sheet and he does have some value. He wasnít great on Sunday and I know he can be inconsistent, but if he can show his grit on a more consistent basis and continue to find the back of the net, he could be a player that draws some interest on his second time around in the draft.
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/ohl...rit-prospects/

Trxjw is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
  #546
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Bueke was his coach last year...I know nothing about him...seems to plays with an edge.
I guess it is important to note that during his time with Beuk, he played what looks like the best hockey of his career.

6 goals, 13 assists in 26 games with 60 PIM's and a +11

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
  #547
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The main thing I am wondering is, can he skate and get in on forecheck. It's great that he can drop the gloves, but to me, if he can't forecheck there is no point. Scoring would be a bonus.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:11 AM
  #548
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,440
vCash: 500
Kid must have jam

silverfish is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
  #549
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,789
vCash: 500
Awards:
The Rangers signed him? I'd like to see confirmation of that from somewhere else...

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
  #550
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The Rangers signed him? I'd like to see confirmation of that from somewhere else...
Quote:
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny 1h
MT @NYRangers: The #NYR have agreed to terms with undrafted free agent F Michael Kantor, 20-13-33, 93 PIM this year with Sudbury of the OHL
Just happened today

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.